The GMs Court

hawk11

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone missed it, King of cochin and Subtleknifewielder are correct. I asked for PM's. I will [i]only[/i] consider those nominated via PM.

As an additional note, I won't want just the name, but reasons why you are submitting this person for nomination.

Self-nominations will be considered if exeptionally good reasons are given.

[quote name='verum vox vocis' date='08 May 2010 - 04:31 AM' timestamp='1273307448' post='2291189']
In case anyone missed it, King of cochin and Subtleknifewielder are correct. I asked for PM's. I will [i]only[/i] consider those nominated via PM.

As an additional note, I won't want just the name, but reasons why you are submitting this person for nomination.

Self-nominations will be considered if exeptionally good reasons are given.
[/quote]

What's the cut off day for nominations?

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='08 May 2010 - 02:52 PM' timestamp='1273355504' post='2291723']
What's the cut off day for nominations?
[/quote]
There is no specific deadline.

I will cut off nominations once I feel I have a sufficient number of suggestions, and have a good idea of what a number of players think.

[quote name='Sargun' date='02 May 2010 - 03:24 PM' timestamp='1272839052' post='2284221']
[i][size="3"]Mobile Laser system[/size][/i]

The [i]Thunderbolt[/i] laser is the mobile chemical oxygen iodine laser (COIL) mounted on an AC-130 gunship. Specifically, the [i]Thunderbolt[/i] is the codename to the series of four COILs mounted on an AC-130 gunship. While initially weighing 12,000 pounds per laser, new development in carbon fiber technology specifically implemented for this program - costing tens of billions of dollars - allowed the entire [i]Thunderbolt[/i] to be lowered to just 16,000 pounds total. The [i]Thunderbolt[/i] defeated several ground targets from the air in testing and has extreme accuracy but there are some issues involving jitter. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Tactical_Laser"][7][/url]
[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a complete ban against lasers on a plane, right?

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='12 May 2010 - 10:47 AM' timestamp='1273654014' post='2295886']
Actually, the rule is, as it stands now (and thiswas a mod, not a GM that ruled this), no weaponized lasers of ANY kind.
[/quote]
Which is completely ridiculous, because there's plenty of applications for lasers in the military which are being used even now.

The big laser on the Boeing planes being just one such application.

I for one will continue to use the relatively easily-built and energy-efficient electrolasers I have for CIWS and SDI purposes, as well as some other possible uses, such as interception of artillery shells.

[quote name='Lynneth' date='12 May 2010 - 07:29 AM' timestamp='1273663755' post='2295948']
Which is completely ridiculous, because there's plenty of applications for lasers in the military which are being used even now.

The big laser on the Boeing planes being just one such application.

I for one will continue to use the relatively easily-built and energy-efficient electrolasers I have for [b]CIWS... purposes[/b], as well as some other possible uses, such as interception of artillery shells.
[/quote]

Which are shipborne, correct?

I'm pretty sure the issue was lasers on anything smaller than an installation or ship... but I may be wrong.

Edited by Executive Minister

[quote name='Executive Minister' date='12 May 2010 - 01:58 PM' timestamp='1273665498' post='2295957']

I'm pretty sure the issue was lasers on anything smaller than an installation or ship... but I may be wrong.
[/quote]
CIWS are on ships, yes.
However, the US Army and Israel are working and currently developing jeep-based chemical lasers to shoot down artilery rounds, and they're doing it successfully. Prototypes are working well.

[quote name='Lynneth' date='12 May 2010 - 05:15 AM' timestamp='1273666509' post='2295963']
CIWS are on ships, yes.
However, the US Army and Israel are working and currently developing jeep-based chemical lasers to shoot down artilery rounds, and they're doing it successfully. Prototypes are working well.
[/quote]
I saw a neat video about that when I visited Northrup Grumman, it's really interesting what they're able to do now, and they can already shoot Artillery from a stationary laser platform. The issue is mounting it on the humvee due to the size.

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='12 May 2010 - 01:47 AM' timestamp='1273654014' post='2295886']
Actually, the rule is, as it stands now (and thiswas a mod, not a GM that ruled this), no weaponized lasers of ANY kind.
[/quote]

Except for SDIs, those have been used a couple of times but they can shoot down nuclear missiles & nothing else.

Edited by iKrolm

I've always thought that rule applied to sci fi style SW laser. There ARE functioning laser weapons in testing by major powers. China has a functioning laser weapon for blinding satellites. There is no reason not to have functioning directed energy weapons so long as you can show its actually had some promising tests/ functioning. There are of course proposals, but we should require working prototypes when we create anything. Otherwise you get things like the Boeing 747 one that never ended up working all that well 9 years after they started on it and got canceled for that reason.

Lasers were not banned for SDIs, so I'm using it as part of the Anti-Air Defence Network wonder. They only work for incoming missiles as part of an RP way to reduce missile effectiveness and are not actual planes going out disabling tanks.

lolfail

Education:

The U.S Navy has been using laser CIWS since long before 2005 via THEL technology (Thermal High Energy Lasers) with little success. It is [b]still[/b] currently used by naval destroyers and other comparable ships in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

As of right now, the U.S Navy is working on (with greater success) FEL (Free Electron Lasers), which are to be used no later than 2013 via the new Zumwalt Class destroyer being completed.

The ZEUS Laser System has been used in Iraq [b]and[/b] Afghanistan for anti-IED purposes.

[quote name='Executive Minister' date='12 May 2010 - 04:58 AM' timestamp='1273665498' post='2295957']

[/quote]
[quote name='Triyun' date='12 May 2010 - 11:07 AM' timestamp='1273687623' post='2296110']
I've always thought that rule applied to sci fi style SW laser. There ARE functioning laser weapons in testing by major powers. China has a functioning laser weapon for blinding satellites. There is no reason not to have functioning directed energy weapons so long as you can show its actually had some promising tests/ functioning. There are of course proposals, but we should require working prototypes when we create anything. Otherwise you get things like the Boeing 747 one that never ended up working all that well 9 years after they started on it and got canceled for that reason.
[/quote]
The rule was a blanket ban on any laser as an offensive weapon (assumptions about it being permitted in missile defenses, SDIS's, etc, and in civilian capacities was correct). However, if it can be demonstrated, with sufficient evidence, that there is a real life application, I am temporarily lifting the blanket ban.

If it gets abused the blanket gets to smother this aspect of creativity again.