Why Karma made me a Pacifican

Brutal Psychoticus

I joined CN just about 1 year ago on a bored night while I had no access to EvE Online because my main computer was down and my laptop could not run it. I started to like it because it also gave me something to do while I was at work during a break. While reading the forums I started to learn about tech raiding and thought I should probably join an alliance to keep my "pixels" safe. The alliance I chose was the United Blue Directorate because I was already on the blue team and I figured it made sense. 110 days in, while I was in the directorate I became involved in a trade ring headed by a fellow named Seti-Cruncher. He reached out to me and offered me the spot in the ring. I accepted and I have now been in that ring for 219 days. After a long while my nation was growing stronger and larger and I saw the membership roles of the Directorate starting to shrink and rumors of big wars on the horizon had me nervous. I wanted to finding a stronger allaince to keep me protected. I looked at Seti's AA and thought maybe I should join his alliance. It was big, powerful, and sanctioned. I went through their application process and was finally accepted. I am an NPO member for 99 days.

Throughout the application process I started to realize what a well organized alliance it was and I was helped along every step of the way. I have played a lot of MMO's and I have ran a few clans and corps and I know the effort it takes to keep the organization at such a high level. I was truly impressed.

About 30 days into my new alliance home, war broke out. Being at the lower end of the NPO totem pole and being so new I was quite scared of what war meant to my nation. I can honestly say that I didn't know the true reason for the start of the war but that is no fault of the NPO. I now realize how much of the game is politics and forum warfare as much as it is a nation building SIM. I have now wiki'd the history and read some of the doctrines and agreements and I can honestly say the amount of information is pretty overwhelming. I did not realize how storied the histories in CN are.

I don't think anyone new or otherwise could make sense of it all if they did not live it and play CN through it all. I do know that I am part of current CN history and one of the 1st losses by NPO as an alliance (Yes, after reading I know even this fact is debated). What I can say from my limited point of view is that the current postings by Karma and their supporters are quite nasty and derisive at times. Had it not been for so much of the put-downs and nasty comments any thoughts I had of leaving this war to save my pixels were erased. The more I read though the more angered and pissed off I got. I followed Jipps thread as he tried to have a truly open discussion about it all and I was appalled at how some responded. Much of it was pure vitriole and hate.

My comrades at the NPO have supported me all throughout this war with aid drops and even just IM's to check in and see how I'm doing. I have lost my 32,000 NS and at this point I do not regret a minute of it. I will never leave Pacifica. Karma had more to do with making me a Pacifican for life than even Pacifica herself. I have survived this bloody conflict and my pride is intact. My memory will now vividly recall this period of CN history as so many of you recall the events of the past I was not part of. The Pacifica of today is my Pacifica. I shall stand strong behind her and defend her forever more. Be careful of how you tread Karma because your actions today become part of the future actions of a renewed Pacifica.

Edited by Brutal Psychoticus

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You appear to be in peacemode.

Wait, but this guy would never leave the war to save pixels. Right?

Right?

EDIT: Congrats on finding something you apparently THINK you would die for.

Edited by Rey the Great

An interesting commentary.

I was speaking with a good friend from here just the other night. He still holds some prominence in NPO. He feels much the same as you do, based on his trials in the GPW and through this current struggle.

But, there is a breaking point at which diversity stops building onto resolve. I believe many in the NPO realize this and that is why they have sought peace for some time now, I can not comment specifically on those pursuits or whether or not they have been appropriate/valid/whatever because I am not a party to the ongoings of the NPO government any longer nor am I party to any Karma deliberations on the subject. But I know they have been seeking peace.

As I told my friend, and will now tell you, if you remove all the bark from a tree, it doesn't matter, unfortunately, how deep the roots go, the tree will die.

I'm glad you found a good home for yourself, although my alliance is now at war with yours.

I do agree that relatively new players of CN will have a hard time understanding how much politics influence the alliances policies in this game. But it's fun to try to understand it, and even more fun to be part of it. :P

Also, Jipps OP contained a huge amount of bias and I can understand that, though people may call him out for it, there's nothing wrong with that.

I wish you good luck in your future. :)

I joined CN just about 1 year ago on a bored night while I had no access to EvE Online because my main computer was down and my laptop could not run it. I started to like it because it also gave me something to do while I was at work during a break. While reading the forums I started to learn about tech raiding and thought I should probably join an alliance to keep my "pixels" safe. The alliance I chose was the United Blue Directorate because I was already on the blue team and I figured it made sense. 110 days in, while I was in the directorate I became involved in a trade ring headed by a fellow named Seti-Cruncher. He reached out to me and offered me the spot in the ring. I accepted and I have now been in that ring for 219 days. After a long while my nation was growing stronger and larger and I saw the membership roles of the Directorate starting to shrink and rumors of big wars on the horizon had me nervous. I wanted to finding a stronger allaince to keep me protected. I looked at Seti's AA and thought maybe I should join his alliance. It was big, powerful, and sanctioned. I went through their application process and was finally accepted. I am an NPO member for 99 days.

Throughout the application process I started to realize what a well organized alliance it was and I was helped along every step of the way. I have played a lot of MMO's and I have ran a few clans and corps and I know the effort it takes to keep the organization at such a high level. I was truly impressed.

About 30 days into my new alliance home, war broke out. Being at the lower end of the NPO totem pole and being so new I was quite scared of what war meant to my nation. I can honestly say that I didn't know the true reason for the start of the war but that is no fault of the NPO. I now realize how much of the game is politics and forum warfare as much as it is a nation building SIM. I have now wiki'd the history and read some of the doctrines and agreements and I can honestly say the amount of information is pretty overwhelming. I did not realize how storied the histories in CN are.

I don't think anyone new or otherwise could make sense of it all if they did not live it and play CN through it all. I do know that I am part of current CN history and one of the 1st losses by NPO as an alliance (Yes, after reading I know even this fact is debated). What I can say from my limited point of view is that the current postings by Karma and their supporters are quite nasty and derisive at times. Had it not been for so much of the put-downs and nasty comments any thoughts I had of leaving this war to save my pixels were erased. The more I read though the more angered and pissed off I got. I followed Jipps thread as he tried to have a truly open discussion about it all and I was appalled at how some responded. Much of it was pure vitriole and hate.

My comrades at the NPO have supported me all throughout this war with aid drops and even just IM's to check in and see how I'm doing. I have lost my 32,000 NS and at this point I do not regret a minute of it. I will never leave Pacifica. Karma had more to do with making me a Pacifican for life than even Pacifica herself. I have survived this bloody conflict and my pride is intact. My memory will now vividly recall this period of CN history as so many of you recall the events of the past I was not part of. The Pacifica of today is my Pacifica. I shall stand strong behind her and defend her forever more. Be careful of how you tread Karma because your actions today become part of the future actions of a renewed Pacifica.

"Renewed Pacifica" was pretty much what we were aiming for in the first place.

A loyal member wouldn't even contemplate leaving his alliance during war time, regardless of the actions that lead to war. That it took all this to get you to be a fiercely loyal Pacifican is commendable, however you're only doing what any loyal member of any alliance would do.

Well said.

Before the war, I would have said NP-who?, but I too have been somewhat appaled by the conduct of Karma members on the OWF in recent months while being nothing but impressed at the calm and respectful conduct of Pacificans, both before and after radio silence. Now, I won't claim to have ready everything said, there's far too much for me to keep up with, but it seems like the trend is in NPO's favor. In general, Karma seems to think that just because they are on the "right" side, anything goes because after all, NPO is "wrong" and deserving of any bad thing they can give them. Combine that pseudo-self-righteous attitude with the internet, and we get, well, exactly what you described. There have been some voices in Karma I have come to respect, just as there are a few voices of Pacificans that make me raise an eyebrow, but overall, I do have to applaud Pacifica to the matter of OWF conduct.

The title is a bit misleading, as Karma didn't make you a Pacifican, they just helped revamp your resolve for the NPO.

And I can understand, due to your lack of knowledge in regards to the History and the Politics, how the comments being made might seem a bit harsh - however one only has to read the old posts by some of your very comrades (Moo Cows, Dilber, etc) to see what has spurred this distaste (and hatred in some cases) for the NPO.

Before the war, I would have said NP-who?, but I too have been somewhat appaled by the conduct of Karma members on the OWF in recent months while being nothing but impressed at the calm and respectful conduct of Pacificans, both before and after radio silence. Now, I won't claim to have ready everything said, there's far too much for me to keep up with, but it seems like the trend is in NPO's favor. In general, Karma seems to think that just because they are on the "right" side, anything goes because after all, NPO is "wrong" and deserving of any bad thing they can give them. Combine that pseudo-self-righteous attitude with the internet, and we get, well, exactly what you described. There have been some voices in Karma I have come to respect, just as there are a few voices of Pacificans that make me raise an eyebrow, but overall, I do have to applaud Pacifica to the matter of OWF conduct.

I agree that the NPO has behaved admirably, and that the behavior of Karma members in general could have been better, however history will show you that this isn't a "first" by any standard - and could be considered quite soft in comparison to how the winning sides have behaved in the past.

Any war-time coalition of this size will contain members who can't behave themselves with much diplomacy and common sense. Once NPO's gag order was lifted, it became clear they have such members just as everybody does.

edit: spelling

Edited by delendum

Good read. The relatively new experience you have in the NPO is no doubt the reason why you are finding much of this community's animosity towards your alliance inexplicable. You are a member of an alliance that has done horrible things to many nations.

I can honestly say that I didn't know the true reason for the start of the war but that is no fault of the NPO.

In the figurative sense, they started this war with their previous actions. In the literal sense, they declared the first war in this conflict on Ordo Verde.

All of this was brought upon the New Pacific Order by the New Pacific Order.

That's when you know to change your DefCon. Also, calm in radio silence? I had no idea.

Apparently you don't understand the meaning of the words "before" and "after." Would you care for me to explain it for you?

I agree that the NPO has behaved admirably, and that the behavior of Karma members in general could have been better, however history will show you that this isn't a "first" by any standard - and could be considered quite soft in comparison to how the winning sides have behaved in the past.

Any war-time coalition of this side will contain members who can't behave themselves with much diplomacy and common sense. Once NPO's gag order was lifted, it became clear they have such members just as everybody does.

Well, I can't judge what I haven't seen. I wasn't around for NPO's "tyranny" and haven't seen much misconduct by the them, again, certainly nothing to the level of many members of Karma alliances. Oh, and just so you know delendum, you're one of the members of Karma I was referring to that I liked. ;) Tromp too, good to see you in this topic. :)

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by Locke

I love these forums. It reminds me how Darwin was full of crap.

You come here posting a reply which would imply anybody who doesn't praise the OP is somehow a hater or a troll, and now you amaze us with cheap sarcasm. You sir are a clear contribution to the discussion contained in this thread.

I wanted to finding a stronger allaince to keep me protected.

So you joined NPO to save your pixels... great...

What I can say from my limited point of view is that the current postings by Karma and their supporters are quite nasty and derisive at times.

Alot of people on Karma are a bit blunt, but once again, Karma isnt any official side, its just a coalition, not a bloc.

I followed Jipps thread as he tried to have a truly open discussion about it all and I was appalled at how some responded.

I would have to say that Jipps' thread was a little more straight forward than this, but it all comes down to where you got your info.

EDIT: I cant believe I missed this line.

I can honestly say that I didn't know the true reason for the start of the war but that is no fault of the NPO.

I have to say, out of all of the lines the OP, this is the funniest, because either your lying, or NPO has brainwashed its members.

Edited by Fort Pitt

Apparently you don't understand the meaning of the words "before" and "after." Woudl you care for me to explain it for you?

It's early. I imagined some words in there. Maybe I should proofread moarz.

That is really a matter of perception. Each alliance harbors people who will speak out loud in an agressive or offensive matter, or the exact opposite.

While I may like people in another alliance because of their behaviour, that does not imply that I agree with the actions and policies of said alliance. Calling the alliance or members of said alliance out for it leads to either debate or flaming and is an aspect of the game we are playing.

Edit:

[...]

Hi Locke, good to see you too. Like talking to you as well. :)

Edited by Tromp