Sphere of Influence

Sumeragi

She linked an entirely different mapping place, which as I've stated, I refuse to recognize at legit SoI; in case you missed it. Now, let's talk about something productive, because, as justinian so kindly pointed out, this isn't math class.

As I've said, i think those nations who've hit the 5k glitch on the IG map should have the right to RP small colonies as if it was within their SoI. When I say small, I'm thinking mebbe a province of some place, or a very tiny country (like Taiwan)

Tell me, why should they be granted an exception because of an IG glitch? You explain that to my satisfaction, and I'll shut up about it.

Anyway, all you said at the last there was, and I quote,

Now, if you want to discuss what happens when you hit the 5k glitch, by all means I'm game for that

I was offering a discussion, but then you turn around and say you won'it listen to any argument that disagrees with you.

That is the same mapping site Lynneth linked to several months ago, and it is actually accurate...but you want to ignore it. OK, that makes perfect sense.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me, why should they be granted an exception because of an IG glitch? You explain that to my satisfaction, and I'll shut up about it.

Anyway, all you said at the last there was, and I quote, .

I was offering a discussion, but then you turn around and say you won'it listen to any argument that disagrees with you.

That is the same mapping site Lynneth linked to several months ago, and it is actually accurate...but you want to ignore it. OK, that makes perfect sense.

I explained why I am ignoring the Link. You want to be difficult and NOT read my posts that's fine by me: most of CNRP doesn't anyway.

Now then, on to business. The "exception" as you call it is only a minor one. As I said: small territories, tiny amounts of land. With out an actual visible map, you can appreciate how hard it would be to determine where the SoI lands. Now, I've had 4.7k miles of land (before the start of the Karma war. o/ eating nukes for my alliance), so as you can imagine, 300 miles isn't a terribly huge amount difference. A couple millimeters, maybe a centimeter at most. In short; doesn't really change the SoI map much (other than, of course, making it glitch). But, since we can't see exactly where it goes on the IG map, we can't be exactly sure what areas fall under the SoI. Hence, the "exception". Grant the RPer the right to maintain a few colonies. If you want, I can even suggest that these colonies have to be on the same continental plate

I explained why I am ignoring the Link. You want to be difficult and NOT read my posts that's fine by me: most of CNRP doesn't anyway.

Now then, on to business. The "exception" as you call it is only a minor one. As I said: small territories, tiny amounts of land. With out an actual visible map, you can appreciate how hard it would be to determine where the SoI lands. Now, I've had 4.7k miles of land (before the start of the Karma war. o/ eating nukes for my alliance), so as you can imagine, 300 miles isn't a terribly huge amount difference. A couple millimeters, maybe a centimeter at most. In short; doesn't really change the SoI map much (other than, of course, making it glitch). But, since we can't see exactly where it goes on the IG map, we can't be exactly sure what areas fall under the SoI. Hence, the "exception". Grant the RPer the right to maintain a few colonies. If you want, I can even suggest that these colonies have to be on the same continental plate

Yes you explained why you are ignoring the link...but that doesn't change the fact that the IG map system is broken.

All exception start out as minor. While I'll grant that yours is a little better thought out than most, people always end up finding a way to abuse these loopholes.

I may have supported exceptions in the past, but for the reasons I've just stated, I feel pretty confident in saying that no, I will never support any new exceptions.

Frankly, I would like to throw SoI out the window, but the double standards when it comes to empire building makes it necessary.

Blame hypocrisy.

I disagree. The SOI system prevents someone the size of, say Vatican city, from claiming a territory the size of Russia initially or from marching across a large swathe of unclaimed territory and declaring it an "Empire". The SoI system provides a realistic restriction on a nation's area of control and prevents the entire world map from being taken up by a few nations who continually expand.

Regarding the detailed calculations of areas one may control, as stated in the OP, I feel it adds more complexity to what should be a really straightforward and simple system. I find the rules as they are now regarding SoI's and Protectorates to be adequate. They may not be perfect, however I prefer the existing rules.

Yes you explained why you are ignoring the link...but that doesn't change the fact that the IG map system is broken.

All exception start out as minor. While I'll grant that yours is a little better thought out than most, people always end up finding a way to abuse these loopholes.

I may have supported exceptions in the past, but for the reasons I've just stated, I feel pretty confident in saying that no, I will never support any new exceptions.

Well of course people fight for loopholes, thats why it takes the people of CNRP to stand together and say "no" to those trying to take advantage of the system.

If there isn't any support in granting someone the right to small territories when they hit the 5k glitch, or granting SOMETHING to a player that has reached that point, then there really isn't much to talk about and the thread becomes pointless :\

Well of course people fight for loopholes, thats why it takes the people of CNRP to stand together and say "no" to those trying to take advantage of the system.

If there isn't any support in granting someone the right to small territories when they hit the 5k glitch, or granting SOMETHING to a player that has reached that point, then there really isn't much to talk about and the thread becomes pointless :\

Pointless for you, anyway.

What do you others say about the site that Sumer linked to?

Jerrey's tool is the same one sumer posted. :v:

anyway, I think the reason sumer is suggesting this might have something to do with the repeated attacks on her SOI not being large enough for her claims. While a certain other nation, with immensely tiny SOIs, compared to some nations, owns an empire over half the globe.

I can start to see a slight double standard...

Your Sphere of influence is your gaddam "My Nation Map" link IG. There is no substitute, and I refuse to recognize anything other than that map. Any land outside your SoI must be RPd as such

I'm pretty much with Lord Frost on this one.

I'm pretty much with Lord Frost on this one.

Only problem is the 5000 miles glitch. If you use the same diameter, it doesn't matter what mapping tool you use (unless there's a glitch like the IG map over 5000).

I really dont see what the fuss is all about. According to the IG map, I could (were it open) own about 80% of the European mainland, about a third of Scandinavia, and lots of ocean. According to the website provided, I would own ALL of Europe, excluding the east half of the Ukraine and a small sliver of Greece, and I would own part of North Africa and a section of east Greenland.

Now... my question is... why does it matter? Is this SUCH a big deal when you have so many countries on the map that you cant possibly own enough to fill your SoI? And so what if the IG map is wrong, as long as it's wrong the same way for everyone?

I support using Jerry's tool, it isn't hard, just keep it as a useful link in the map thread, go type in the miles of land you have and use that as the base of your IC.

Actually, you type in half the number--the tool asks for the radius, but the miles given ingame are the diameter. Just to clarify.

I really dont see what the fuss is all about. According to the IG map, I could (were it open) own about 80% of the European mainland, about a third of Scandinavia, and lots of ocean. According to the website provided, I would own ALL of Europe, excluding the east half of the Ukraine and a small sliver of Greece, and I would own part of North Africa and a section of east Greenland.

Now... my question is... why does it matter? Is this SUCH a big deal when you have so many countries on the map that you cant possibly own enough to fill your SoI? And so what if the IG map is wrong, as long as it's wrong the same way for everyone?

Because we want to know what we can legally claim. Is that so wrong?

You can legally claim whatever's in the in-game map.

end of problem

(it glitches EVERYONE, meaning other people aren't getting an advantage.. and it means more land for new players, hurdur)

So how are the people above that glitch mark supposed to know what they can caim, hmm? B)