Sphere of Influence

Sumeragi

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, I would like to throw SoI out the window, but the double standards when it comes to empire building makes it necessary.

Blame hypocrisy.

Of course you would, you're the one claimed all of Altin Urda *laughs*

And the king of one word answers: No.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

• 3 weeks later...
I say we consider this considering the loopholes LVN made with his "Any land given by another player is allowed" rule.

Given IC with RP. Its legit. I'm not going to restrict my self to some arbitrary and highly suspect set of equations when a set of two rules clearly define who can have what.

I don't support the use of IG sphere of influence for this as a nations power is not determined by whether they import furs or not :P. (After all, I could just import furs to expand my sphere of influence and claim ethopia... then upon acquisition stop importing furs and because I already had ethopia, no-one would likely argue). Does THAT make any sense?

Edited by Zarfef

I don't support the use of IG sphere of influence for this as a nations power is not determined by whether they import furs or not :P . (After all, I could just import furs to expand my sphere of influence and claim ethopia... then upon acquisition stop importing furs and because I already had ethopia, no-one would likely argue). Does THAT make any sense?

Yes, actually. But your scenario makes the assumption that if your SoI shrinks, you have to give up some of your claims. This is incorrect. SoI only influences the white areas on the map you can claim uncontested. Once a claim is made and unopposed, the land remains yours.

Now if an area is colored and therefore claimed, if you conquer it, buy it, or otherwise get it from the player in question through IC RP'ing, it's also yours, regardless of SoI.

Yes, actually. But your scenario makes the assumption that if your SoI shrinks, you have to give up some of your claims. This is incorrect. SoI only influences the white areas on the map you can claim uncontested. Once a claim is made and unopposed, the land remains yours.

Now if an area is colored and therefore claimed, if you conquer it, buy it, or otherwise get it from the player in question through IC RP'ing, it's also yours, regardless of SoI.

In case you have not noticed white space on the map is a rare commodity. Soon CNRP will be full of a few players with globe spanning mega-empires. There should be a upper limit on the amount of land you can claim or CNRP will stagnate and die as it is reduced to a few big players. And then with no RP, everyone loses and nobody wins.

The options for a new player now are these.

1: Become a puppet of some other player and have them dictate the way you RP in exchange for land.

2: Claim some undesirable corner of the map like Antarctica or some area that is a radioactive wasteland from a previous war and have difficulties with the extreme climates of these areas.

3: Play a "non-canon" RP and have people refuse to recognise it.

We need to have more open land on the map so a stricter system of SoI would encourage a greater player base for CNRP and a much more interesting game for everyone.

In case you have not noticed white space on the map is a rare commodity. Soon CNRP will be full of a few players with globe spanning mega-empires. There should be a upper limit on the amount of land you can claim or CNRP will stagnate and die as it is reduced to a few big players. And then with no RP, everyone loses and nobody wins.

1: Become a puppet of some other player and have them dictate the way you RP in exchange for land.

2: Claim some undesirable corner of the map like Antarctica or some area that is a radioactive wasteland from a previous war and have difficulties with the extreme climates of these areas.

We need to have more open land on the map so a stricter system of SoI would encourage a greater player base for CNRP and a much more interesting game for everyone.

I have noticed. But protectorates are a lot more common than white space. Hence, a fourth option--negotiate with the power(s) currently holding the land in trust.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

That is one reason I made the formulas. These days we have too few soldiers compared to land size.

Frankly, I would like to throw SoI out the window, but the double standards when it comes to empire building makes it necessary.

Blame hypocrisy.

It also makes finding some scrap of land that is unclaimed for me to enter the game and not be a puppet state a challenging experience.

I have noticed. But protectorates are a lot more common than white space. Hence, a fourth option--negotiate with the power(s) currently holding the land in trust.
It also makes finding some scrap of land that is unclaimed for me to enter the game and not be a puppet state a challenging experience.

Ehem. see my bit about protectorates... :rolleyes:

I have no great desire to be someone else's puppet.

I will take the little bit of white land I can and be free to play however I please rather than having to ask permission to do anything.

*indignant*

I dunno about the Nords or the Commies, but the Australasian Coaliton won't require anyone to be a puppet to claim their protectorates.

*indignant*

I dunno about the Nords or the Commies, but the Australasian Coaliton won't require anyone to be a puppet to claim their protectorates.

While I prefer communists to emerge from ComIntern protectorates, any new player (or someone rerolling) may claim a ComIntern protectorate, as long as he isn't hostile to us.