Tech dealing and tech sellers

Alterego

I have been buying tech for about a year and was a seller before that. In recent times I have noticed a serious decline in the standard of tech sellers. The sharp rise in tech fraud and tech sellers being weeks and even months late seem to have skyrocketed. This trend seems to be escalating and more widespread than anything i've seen in my time on Bob. Ordinarily I and others would just write off the odd $3m tech deal gone bad, but the apparently large scale of the fraud and regularity of extremely long waiting periods has prompted me to ask the world what can be done. Is it time for alliances who open their doors to these people also be responsible for their tech dealing the same way they are responsible for illegal tech raiding or should we just continue to grin and bear it?

Edited by Alterego

I've noticed it as well. I have started giving general outlines and directions for dealing tech when I send the aid, however, the problems still persist. It's a matter of the new nations not really caring about the deal. If that does not change, then the plague of crappy tech deals will continue.

The basic problem is that most of the reliable tech sellers from times before have now successfully grown our nations and are now tech buyers.

However, I haven't noticed much of a difference in the reliability overall of our newbies, which is where Invicta gets most of its tech. It's the same mix of good and bad that it's been for a long while.

Either you mean over priced, or you mean 3mil/150. 3mil per 50 tech is lowering the price of tech.

If in a normal tech deal goes 3 million/100tech, and he starts selling it at 3m for 50 tech, the tech seller has raised his prices for tech. He thinks that with standard deal, the tech sell point is too low or underpriced.

You can thank me for part of that. :D

I think you're ignoring the larger part of tech fraud: People on some sort of ZI or EZI who know that they will NEVER recieve peace stopped laying down and realized "Oh hey, if I'm not going to get peace, I really can do anything within the boundaries of ingame!".

[OOC]If you try to mug me, and on a rock next to me there's a gun, am I supposed to ignore that because guns are immoral? You might, but sure as hell I wouldn't.[OOC] I'm just saying, if there are other options at hand and the enemy has the size advantage, I really don't give a flying **** if the guy that's trying to subject me eternal warfare to the point where I leave the game thinks it's immoral. I really don't care. Of the few standards I have one is that I only steal money from those I am at war with and it's allies, excluding those I have more than a drop of respect for. I use it as a method of warfare that is effective enough to make NPO whine to me privately and about me publicly. I endorse it and I condone it for anyone getting stepped on.

Edited by JayOvfEnnay

Yes, I meant underpriced.

Thaks for the correction and catching my poor typery.

Lemme try this again:

Seriously tech is under-priced. Offer 3 million/50 and watch how dependable it is.

Yep.

3mil per 50 tech is lowering the price of tech.

Okey doke

Edited by HalfEmpty

I have been buying tech for about a year and was a seller before that. In recent times I have noticed a serious decline in the standard of tech sellers. The sharp rise in tech fraud and tech sellers being weeks and even months late seem to have skyrocketed. This trend seems to be escalating and more widespread than anything i've seen in my time on Bob. Ordinarily I and others would just write off the odd $3m tech deal gone bad, but the apparently large scale of the fraud and regularity of extremely long waiting periods has prompted me to ask the world what can be done. Is it time for alliances who open their doors to these people also be responsible for their tech dealing the same way they are responsible for illegal tech raiding or should we just continue to grin and bear it?

Why don't you cry to your beloved hegemony for justice? They're the ones that are forcing some of us to pull the ol' Robin Hood routine.

Well, I'm just starting to buy tech and I haven't encountered any cheap scammers yet, but I do know of a couple newbies who are very unreliable in their tech selling ethics.

When I sold tech, I ALWAYS made sure I was on time. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. And if I couldn't be on time, I messaged my buyers in ADVANCE. Perhaps I deserve a pat on the back for my tech selling honesty :)

Edited by capitalC

I don't know about other alliances, but I consider it a diplomatic issue if a WAPA member skips out on a tech deal. When we're made aware of an issue, we treat it with as much weight as though one of ours went on a rogue attack.

I know that Farkistan also fully backs tech deals done with their alliance members.

I am unsure that you're correct about your assessment over the Sellers' quality: I haven't experienced any decline (though I must admit that I buy Tech from the MHA only, and I reason about the Sellers before choosing one).

If a MHA Seller is failing you and you're not in the MHA, please inform us: we will quickly rectify any wrong (and we will explain to our Seller that s/he ought sell his/her Tech to other Hitchhikers, not to you... :P)

I am unsure that you're correct about your assessment over the Sellers' quality: I haven't experienced any decline (though I must admit that I buy Tech from the MHA only, and I reason about the Sellers before choosing one).

Perhaps I have just become acutely aware never having had any issues in the past. I have had a couple of issues in the past couple of months as have other members of our alliance. This has made me aware of the issue in general and coupled with multiple posts about tech fraud on the OWF and random nations sending me suspect PM's it appeared to be fairly widespread. It could just be a mix of a changed perception and a bit of bad luck.

If a MHA Seller is failing you and you're not in the MHA, please inform us: we will quickly rectify any wrong (and we will explain to our Seller that s/he ought sell his/her Tech to other Hitchhikers, not to you... :P)

No issues with MHA.

I've not noticed any difference really. I had issues with tech dealers way back when I started buying in 2007 and I haven't had any serious ones for a long time, apart from one IMD seller who went rogue (the alliance covered the tech, which I was very impressed by).

There will be some people who are deliberately scamming money – anyone on PZI is entirely justified in doing this if they can get away with it, it's the collateral damage you take for PZI-listing intelligent nations. I know FAN have taken some money this way and I imagine Vox too. You just need to watch out for those; I would expect someone with your political knowledge wouldn't get sucked into one of those anyway.

I don't see why someone would commit fraud as a tech seller. Because a) if you're selling tech you're in no position to fully defend yourself in the face of a few hotheads and B) in the long run you're going to make a lot if you come out as a respectable and committed tech seller.