Next Great War

Jason Salovsky

Next Great War  

847 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The propensity to desire blood and war is characteristic of the game design and is arguably why people and alliances build nations, wonders, warchests, infra and tech; where as the influence necessary to render the ultimate conflict viable is a commodity held by a mere handful of players.

I don't care what goes on behind the scenes, and I frankly don't want a war only when it is either stoked via waited-for iron clad causus belli, or profitable and/or convenient to have one.

I also do not care if I am neither "allowed" nor "wearing the correct AA" to say this.

We'll have a war this summer, or by May. It will take that long to engender the parameters, and ensure that the "most important" are out of school or on vacation and available to commit full time to the game.

I'm old, tired, and so very bored.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, you really should rethink your stance regarding post-GPW politics and discussion. There was no such conjecture over stagnation. Since you took pains to beat the younger players over the head with your vast experience you should at least do them the favor of not lying to them.

I have rethought and come to exactly the same conclusion as before, because that's where all the evidence points. After the GPW when the Orders were on radio silence and the Initiative hadn't begun to develop (GOONS were getting closer to LUE than the Orders at the time) the forums were filled with complaints about how boring and stagnant things were -- so much so that those who had spent the past 6 months doing nothing but attacking the Orders were crying for our return. And when the Initiative did begin to develop it was argued that the sides were so evenly matched they could never be resolved.

In fact I will go even further. As early as March (or perhaps even February) 2006 there were massive calls for a planet-wide reset, since the position of the NPO meant that nothing could ever change and we were doomed to eternal stagnation. Or further still: before the Citrus War even began in mid-February there were calls for a reset because it was deemed 'impossible' to catch KD into the #1 rank (followed by it being 'impossible' to catch me to the #1 rank, followed by it being 'impossible' to catch Jormungand to the #1 rank, followed by it being 'impossible' to etc. etc. etc.).

Since we're reminiscing, let me take you back to the 7th of April 2007, when I said exactly the same thing. The important thing is that this was said when the Cold War and everything else was still fresh in the memories of those involved, and yet nobody contradicted the post (in fact I believe the word used by one reader to describe it was 'beautiful'). But equally impressive is that this could be said in in April 2007 and still be so applicable to the debates we're having today. Round and round we go.

I find the policy of rationalizing OOC attacks and criticizing perfect CBs as a very unique way of building moral high grounds. I suggest that this policy continues and we also receive the weekly dose of entertainment otherwise world will be mighty bored at a quicker pace and people will want to start wars or make political sphere more dynamic by forming blocs but without becoming a subject to CN-wide debates.

Edited by shahenshah

Has it escaped you that such threads use to easily reach way more than that and at times over 100 pages. No one give a damn about the forums anymore because Vox monopolizes the whole damn thing. A small group of loud forum trolls with an ax to grind that have driven off the real driving forces of the game and completely killed the drama. No one cares anymore. The major leaders avoid the forums like the plague now. There is absolutely 0 real politic going on for the masses to see. Sure there most stuff has always been handled offsite but there was a time when the forums were jumping with the real politics of the game along with the usual **** fest. Today its just the **** fest.

It's been dead for a long time, it's why war on the GPA was an important goal :P

Since we're reminiscing, let me take you back to the 7th of April 2007, when I said exactly the same thing. The important thing is that this was said when the Cold War and everything else was still fresh in the memories of those involved, and yet nobody contradicted the post (in fact I believe the word used by one reader to describe it was 'beautiful'). But equally impressive is that this could be said in in April 2007 and still be so applicable to the debates we're having today. Round and round we go.

Look at the time difference between that thread and the last real war before it. Then look at the arguments here, and the last real war before it.

The propensity to desire blood and war is characteristic of the game design and is arguably why people and alliances build nations, wonders, warchests, infra and tech; where as the influence necessary to render the ultimate conflict viable is a commodity held by a mere handful of players.

I don't care what goes on behind the scenes, and I frankly don't want a war only when it is either stoked via waited-for iron clad causus belli, or profitable and/or convenient to have one.

I also do not care if I am neither "allowed" nor "wearing the correct AA" to say this.

We'll have a war this summer, or by May. It will take that long to engender the parameters, and ensure that the "most important" are out of school or on vacation and available to commit full time to the game.

I'm old, tired, and so very bored.

I believe this is the part where NPO's favorite line, "Do something about it" would come very much in handy. Perhaps you should join Vox.

Never a GW again, for the simple fact that Im sick of hearing GW, lets come up with a new name for our wars.

yea, maybe something like Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride War.

ill go start an alliance called BGABGBR and you all join then we'll start a war over something stupid.

Other than that, Maybe vox populi got their wish, they want a war from what I understand, and they pretty much got one, it's just that everyone decided they'd fight vox.

I voted 'Never.'

To me, a 'Great War' would involve two relatively evenly matched sides. That hasn't happened in my 500 days here, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

If the real question the OP is asking is 'when is the next Great Curbstomp' I'm sure it'll be along soon enough.

Regards,

VI

I voted 'Never.'

To me, a 'Great War' would involve two relatively evenly matched sides. That hasn't happened in my 500 days here, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

If the real question the OP is asking is 'when is the next Great Curbstomp' I'm sure it'll be along soon enough.

Regards,

VI

well then... evenly matched? is that what defines a great war, really?