GPA Declaration of Neutrality

Thomasj_tx

On behalf of Camberlain, I would like to avow our dedication to observing the Neutrality of the GPA. It is thus proudly that I offer my signature to this fine document.

Signed, Margrave,

Lord Of Camberlain

On behalf of the Green Protection Agency, I have added Camberlain to the list of Signatories.

Thank You! :)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the name of the Blood God and on the behalf of Terminus Est, I too put my X on this noble document.

Signed, Tobiash,

Primarch of Terminus Est

On behalf of the Green Protection Agency, I have added Terminus Est to the list of Signatories.

Thank You! :)

So is this document saying that the GPA is neutral in everything? Does this mean you don't sign treaties of any kind and you stay in your own little corner? How does that work for you guys? Is it effective?

It states that we are legally bound to pursue friendly and impartial conduct toward all other nations and Alliances and maintain strict military and political neutrality and non-intervention. We are able to, and have in our history, entered into "treaties" that support these values and principles. As to "staying in our own little corner", I am not sure what that means, but we encourage all of our members to interact with other nations and alliances in a friendly and impartial way.

It works well for us because that is what our values are. As to being effective, that is in the eye of the beholder, but we just had our third anniversary last week so something must be working okay.

Thanks for your questions and I hope that I have answered them to your satisfaction. :)

a. No GPA nation will intervene, either politically or militarily, in any conflict that does not directly involve the GPA or a GPA nation.

Treading lightly here since it would be pointless to pick on an alliance like the GPA with a baiting post. However, what I have quoted above from your announcement seems like a rather arbitrary definition of neutrality, subject to the vagaries of alliance leadership and politics.

Is this a new definition or has this always been a part/the heart of the DoN?

And something specific, would the GPA ever find someone threatening one of the signatories of this DoN as involving the GPA to the point of defending GPA interests per this said definition?

Also, irrespective of the DoN's wording in the past, it is curious that any other sovereign alliance would sign this, unless it is mostly out of respect for your peaceful tradition. I mean no harm here, but I do not see why any alliance would recognize and support an alliance whose purpose is to never come to the assistance of any other alliance.

And at last, I realize some of these surely are old and even tired questions for your diplomatic corps, so thank you ahead of time for any consideration of these questions.

I'm simply a curious bystander who finds neutrality on Bob both intriguing and terribly problematic.

Seems like you have an efficient set up apparently :) Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm a noob but I enjoy learning about other alliances besides my own. Thanks again :)

Thank you Soyak. You will make your alliance proud. :) And thanks to all the other well wishers and old friends.

“Neutrality, as a lasting principle, is an evidence of weakness” - Lajos Kossuth, Hungarian freedom fighter

'Neutrality' is a situational ethos and needs two things: a situation to be neutral about and at least two poles of thought/behavior to be neutral between. Then, one can have the involved parties sanction your neutrality and you don't have to take sides. Permanent 'neutrality' is unmaintainable - and giving you a signature you can point to and say "See? All these people certify we are neutral" is what got you into your mess last year in the first place.

'Isolationist'? Definitely. 'Non-aligned'? OK. 'Pacifistic'? Perhaps. But, neutral in all things? We know better. We've been there.

While the exact wording has changed, that has always been the heart and intention of the DoN.

Also, irrespective of the DoN's wording in the past, it is curious that any other sovereign alliance would sign this, unless it is mostly out of respect for your peaceful tradition. I mean no harm here, but I do not see why any alliance would recognize and support an alliance whose purpose is to never come to the assistance of any other alliance.

Other alliances sign this out of respect for who we. It also makes sense from a practical standpoint, since an alliance that won't help anyone is also not going to help your enemies.

Treading lightly here since it would be pointless to pick on an alliance like the GPA with a baiting post. However, what I have quoted above from your announcement seems like a rather arbitrary definition of neutrality, subject to the vagaries of alliance leadership and politics.

I'm not in government (right now) but I'll take a shot at answering your questions.

As Thomas said earlier, this is essentially a rewording of the original document, with the intent of keeping the original meaning of the document intact while cutting out fluff. So yes, this definition has essentially always been at the heart of the document. And far from being vague and arbitrary, we find this to be quite a simple and concrete working definition of neutrality for us.

And something specific, would the GPA ever find someone threatening one of the signatories of this DoN as involving the GPA to the point of defending GPA interests per this said definition?

No, the politics of signatories outside of their direct relations to the GPA are their own affairs; this clause is intended to relate to direct involvement and not any secondary interests.

Even though we try to remain neutral and wouldn't take sides in a conflict, we also try to cultivate friendly and mutually beneficial relationships with all alliances. We can contribute to economic trading, tips and information, and community-building activities, for example. Though a signature on our DoN isn't required for us to offer that hand of friendship, it indicates that the signatory recognizes and shares that goal, as well as being a token of mutual respect. Given that there is little cost to doing so, many alliances (and some independent nations!) have elected to advance diplomatically in that fashion.

And at last, I realize some of these surely are old and even tired questions for your diplomatic corps, so thank you ahead of time for any consideration of these questions.

I'm simply a curious bystander who finds neutrality on Bob both intriguing and terribly problematic.

We're always happy to explain ourselves to those who are curious; thank you for your questions.

While the exact wording has changed, that has always been the heart and intention of the DoN.

Other alliances sign this out of respect for who we. It also makes sense from a practical standpoint, since an alliance that won't help anyone is also not going to help your enemies.

Thanks for the answers. I am afraid Sun WuKong expresses my questions about the second part of your reply. All the same, I respect your desire, and it seems that you also acknowledge that signers of this DoN perhaps do so more out of respect for the group of fine people in the GPA over any intelligible principles per se.

Thanks again, it is hard for me not be as harsh as WuKong :P

edit: reading omnilynx now...

Edited by General Specific

“Neutrality, as a lasting principle, is an evidence of weakness” - Lajos Kossuth, Hungarian freedom fighter

'Neutrality' is a situational ethos and needs two things: a situation to be neutral about and at least two poles of thought/behavior to be neutral between. Then, one can have the involved parties sanction your neutrality and you don't have to take sides. Permanent 'neutrality' is unmaintainable - and giving you a signature you can point to and say "See? All these people certify we are neutral" is what got you into your mess last year in the first place.

'Isolationist'? Definitely. 'Non-aligned'? OK. 'Pacifistic'? Perhaps. But, neutral in all things? We know better. We've been there.

:ph34r:

Couldn't have said it better myself.