The Nuclear Winter Question

V The King

The Nuclear Winter Question  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As many of you are aware, there is an on-going global war in the CNRP canon that has gone VERY nuclear - dozens of nuclear warheads have been detonated, and more are expected to be launched as well. "Real Life" scientists and theorists predict that if there was to be a significant amount of nuclear weapons being exploded, then temperatures across the planet could drop sharply for many years, as well as rainfall rates going downhill. This means some regions would become unlivable, while others such as agricultural regions may be unsuitable for its current crops or even rendered useless.

Considering that dozens of nukes have been used already in the CNRP canon within a very short amount of times, then the predictions might come true - temperatures dropping by a lot for decades (4 to 8 Celsius degrees - as a reference, when the Ice Age took place, it was a persistent cooling of 5 Celsius Degrees), average rainfall dropping by as much as 45%, and so on. This means that pretty much all players would have to change the way they RP to some extent due to such changes in the climate and if they wish to keep things more or less realistic in a global scale.

Keeping such in mind, cast your vote and state what are your opinions on the question. Should the whole of CNRP bear the consequences of the actions taken by members of the canon's own player base and go with the probable outcome of their moves, or should they not have the power to affect the roleplay of other players in such manner, even though it may be incoherent with the realistic outcome of the events?

I voted the 3rd option.

Due to Botha's Law and the use of in-game stats determining RP, I don't RP wars (unless mutual pre-arranged outcome).

Therefore the only nuclear winters that affect Transvaal are those that also occur in-game.

So for those who voted the 1st option, I don't see how that is fair how I should be forced to affected by something I cannot RP with in-game stats.

You can botha. You see.. right now.. your environment in CNRP terms just went to 1 star or less? Remember the MK war? Nukes have an impact on everyone.

I would propose people in RP who cannot rp the good and the bad.. are just power mongers without a spine. They deserve no real power because they do not know how to handle "hard times".

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

I voted option three. You can RP what you like, but it does not effect me unless I want it to.

If we all followed that attitude there would be no RP, just people yelling at eachother saying "I WIN I WIN I WIN NO YOU DIDN'T", your attitude will make CNRP like a group of 5-year-olds playing make-believe. You're saying "If it's good for me, it happens, if it's bad for me, it doesn't happen. End of story."

Does that sound like the right way to RP to you?

EDIT: I am speaking from experience, I'm one of those kids who pretended to be Super Lazer Trooper X and fight with my friends using sticks as guns, and that attitude was what got us into so many arguments, and ruined our fun.

Edited by BaronUberstein

Great, first my CNRP nation was hit hard by the flu epidemic, then nearly 80% of it's infrastructure was roasted with napalm by other nations because they feared the flu viruses would spread, after that, the roasters refused to repair and infrastructure, and then the global environment goes down the drain...

But at least I have something interesting to RP (as long as nobody decides to invade my for "stability")... :P

Anyways, I think it should effect the entire CNRP world so we won't get another "lulz! Lets nuke everything!!!!"

There is a question however, how long should the global radiation effects should last?

I may be wrong but were enough nukes detonated to even cause it, compared to say the amount detonated in the 50s for testing?

A 2008 study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science found that a nuclear weapons exchange between Pakistan and India using their current arsenals could create a near- global ozone hole, triggering human health problems and wreaking environmental havoc for at least a decade.[6] The computer-modeling study looked at a nuclear war between the two countries involving 50 Hiroshima-sized nuclear devices on each side, producing massive urban fires and lofting as much as five million metric tons of soot about 50 miles into the stratosphere. The soot would absorb enough solar radiation to heat surrounding gases, setting in motion a series of chemical reactions that would break down the stratospheric ozone layer protecting Earth from harmful ultraviolet radiation.

-----

That link [6] is a link to the study on wiki, check it out if you want. 100 hiroshima-sized bombs would be outstripped by the 30 or so much larger bombs.

Honestly I like RPing the effects of the nuclear winter. Even though Im not in it I have enough RP integrity to actually acknowledge the event on the world stage and not pretend I can skip along happily in my own little bubble.

This is supposed to be a RP about a world of nations. How can you ignore what happens in your world?

"Dudez, leik I was on WoW soz A'hm not gunna say dis happenz"

You can botha. You see.. right now.. your environment in CNRP terms just went to 1 star or less? Remember the MK war? Nukes have an impact on everyone.

Well my environment in-game says 5 stars, and as everyone knows, I RP what I have in-game. That is why I RP: to making meaningful sense out of all my in-game stats and situations. In other words, to flesh out a bunch of numbers, stats and improvments, etc. When my nation suffers in-game, it suffers in RP. It's a one-way street that way.