CNRP OOC Thread

Stormcrow

Fortunately, Zoot, "it's just one of those things" is not an answer.

Demanding that my internal RP take RL time to develop seems to have basis in the rules whatsoever.

Is time a rule? I've heard that most people go with 1 month = 1 year, but I've never heard of this as being a set rule. Generalissimo has a whole IC thread devoted to discussing the peculiarities of time in CNRP. People seem to choose whatever time scales they want. I was thinking of switching to a general 1 week = 1 year, so I can have monthly elections (I like that kind of stuff more the pouring over minor military details). I have a thread I started over a week ago, with seven posts in it that occur over a period of just a few hours. Meanwhile, I've annexed land, moved troops around and declared war. Nothing in my first post affects anyone else, should I be hurrying things up because "it's just one of those things?"

Why should my internal unicorn RP be affected by everyone else's time scale and some indiscernible RL time requirement when my constitutional debate is not?

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, it took me over 12 months (12 years rp time) to get to a point where I could rp this myself Sal and not having to rely on someone else. Required getting the technology and required simply time for Karnell to do his work.

The limitation is one per nation and it has to be a central character that you intend to keep. The Moderators verbatim limited it to my main character only. Kind of like you can't kill a main character without their consent. So Faeries and Unicorns would be out. Entire species of these creatures were ruled nonviable.

You could be a faerie if you really wanted I would guess.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

[quote name='Arieg' timestamp='1285329998' post='2463215']What is the agreed rate of time anyways?[/quote]There is no agreed rate of time, every country can determine their own time scale.
This game mechanic is recognized in character as Generalissimo’s Observation (http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=71942)
Generalissimo’s Observation is further supported by canon scientific conferences (http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=90254)
The two most common time (and accepted) progressions are month=year and real time
Disagreement between month=year and real time players are why a common time scale have not been adopted in CNRP
With the advent of Generalissimo’s Observation other timescales exist year=week and week=year being the greatest deviations

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1285307569' post='2463085']It occurred in a single post, but it's not like that post was only a day or two. Would you like the R&D to occur over several days or months in real time?[/quote]Unless corresponding with in-game development CNRP research occurs over several days or months in real time, or at least over the course of thread(s). While the limit is both arbitrary and vague it seems at the very least multiple posts over an undefined period of time are necessary for R&D.

Players who are not in-depth about research usually post percentiles of R&D development in an ongoing news thread
[b]Example of CNRP R&D Without Depth[/b]
Project Awesome 0% Completed
Project Awesome 4% Completed
Project Awesome 10% Completed
Project Awesome 14% Completed

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1285307569' post='2463085'] What sense is that? If I write out an entire year's worth of a story what difference does it make if I put it in one post or in ten?[/quote]It’s community consensus, implemented to prevent rapid over development of technology concerning “future tech”[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1285307569' post='2463085']. . .That's just more arbitrary nonsense.[/quote]CNRP is full of arbitrary nonsense, we all have to deal with it until ruled or voted otherwise

Edited by Generalissimo

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1285286332' post='2462703']
That would be impossible. You'd have to make several creatures as part of the research process. Can't make the perfect fairy on the first try.
[/quote]
[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1285289677' post='2462760']
Too bad none of that actually matches reality. Genetic engineering won't bankrupt a nation; It's done all the time in the present by corporations. Most organism are modified for better adaptability and survivability; if anything, the things I create will thrive and push their natural counterparts into extinction.
[/quote]
[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1285291359' post='2462802']
There's a lot of things in CNRP that do not work like they do in reality. We have to have rules to prevent excess while at the same time not destroying creative potential. The ruling about this matter was made in that spirit and I intend to abide by it.
[/quote]
[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1285291824' post='2462813']
If that is the actual ruling, its rationale is illogical. Instead of some nonsense about bankrupting nations, whoever made up the ruling shouldn't have even bothered. Just say one genetically modified being only. If you can have one creature, there's no reason why you can't have more other than "because I said so." It's far more illogical to allow dragon-men and unicorns than it is to allow them and then say you can only have one.

I want a whole city of fairies. Why are you stifling my creativity?
[/quote]
[quote name='Executive Minister' timestamp='1285293879' post='2462870']
Whoops, I should have checked the OOC thread before reading Sal's... there has to be a reason he wants fairies... again, as long as this is internal RPing, its generally frowned upon, but allowed. If you were making a battalion of anti-tank Wargs or a warrior strain of goblins to use, however, different story.

Although I am concerned about your apparent usage of Canadian/Saborian tech without Lynneth's consent.
[/quote]
Actually, it was a ruling that you can only have one of the thing by the time the creation is perfected. New species? No. One non-human charcater with plenty of Rp to back it up? yes.

This was a [color="#ff0000"][b]MOD[/b] [/color]ruling, not a GM one.

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1285327668' post='2463205']
Heh, it took me over 12 months (12 years rp time) to get to a point where I could rp this myself Sal and not having to rely on someone else. Required getting the technology and required simply time for Karnell to do his work.[/quote]

My unicorns took 12 months RP time too.

[quote]Kind of like you can't kill a main character without their consent.[/quote]

I heard otherwise.

[quote name='Generalissimo' timestamp='1285344684' post='2463383']
Unless corresponding with in-game development CNRP research occurs over several days or months in real time, or at least over the course of thread(s). While the limit is both arbitrary and vague it seems at the very least multiple posts over an undefined period of time are necessary for R&D.

Players who are not in-depth about research usually post percentiles of R&D development in an ongoing news thread
[b]Example of CNRP R&D Without Depth[/b]
Project Awesome 0% Completed
Project Awesome 4% Completed
Project Awesome 10% Completed
Project Awesome 14% Completed

It’s community consensus, implemented to prevent rapid over development of technology concerning “future tech”CNRP is full of arbitrary nonsense, we all have to deal with it until ruled or voted otherwise
[/quote]

So if I broke up my post into ten posts, it will magically be OK? You never answered my question about what difference it would make. But the answer is none. If I had unicorns today, tomorrow, next month or next year, absolutely nothing changes other than satisfying the community's irrational and inexplicable desire for it to take more time. The only reason I can think of for why you'd insist on this taking time is because you realize unicorns and dragon-men are !@#$%^&*. Some people will selfishly impose these non-rules when they see someone developing weapons or defenses they don't want them to immediately have (read have at all), but there isn't any real reason why you wouldn't want me to have unicorns quickly in RL time (because it won't affect anyone other than myself) other than the fact that you know it is pure !@#$%^&*!

Or perhaps it has something to do with compulsive power-tripping of this community. My unicorn RP is internal. It has absolutely nothing to do with you. I won't be sending unicorns into battle, and I thought sending fairies into your bedroom at night for diplomatic negotiations would be seen as an obvious joke. Hell, I don't even won't them to begin with. You were partially correct on that Executive Minister.

And I'm not RPing the details of genetic engineering. I don't know dick all about genetic engineering. And if anyone insists on it, then I will have to insist on more people RPing the functions of their governments, which is far more important in CNRP than some unicorn. Because at is stands, a lot of nations have impossible systems that seem to pop up fully functioning over night. I won't be recognizing diplomatic missions or efficient war machines from any nation less than four months old (4 years standard RP time). If you want to create a new nation, I'm going to have to ask for detailed RP that spans at least a month real time. My nation's DoE spanned three threads, and it might take me several weeks to RP constitutional changes. None of this "Oh we've changed our name and we're an empire now" in one post and no "the nation of Jillawagga exists; we are a republic. Signed King Dylan I". And if you're forming it out of a protectorate, you damn well better RP negotiations with the protector. Private messages "sup, I can haz nation?" "lol k" are unacceptable.

If anybody wants to accept Mael's character as any more than a man (no wings or lizard eyes), then I will have to insist on sending them Twinkle O'Stardust, fairy and Canuckistan's chief ambassador to !@#$%^&*, on all future diplomatic missions. Don't try to stifle my creativity.

Sal, the thing was, Mael's character WAS RP'd as doing this over many, MANY months, going by the month-to-year scale.

As for developing your faeries...IF they were accepted, all you would need is two posts...and you wouldn't even have to say much. Just a simple paragraph or two explaining what you want done...and then a post a year later (by whatever scale you use--if it be a month to year, then one RL month) with another couple paragraphs saying they were done. Not the most interesting read, and you would have a lot of naysayers, but were alternate, viable (able of reproducing) non-human species permitted, it would be entirely within the rules.

Honestly I'm happy with the acceptance of !@#$%^&* now, no GM can overrule it because a mod said it's allowed! Thus, I will be RPing whatever singular damn characters I please, be they aliens, robots or odd creatures discovered on an expedition to the mountains of madness in Antarctica.

Edited by BaronUberstein

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' timestamp='1285358224' post='2463508']
Sal, the thing was, Mael's character WAS RP'd as doing this over many, MANY months, going by the month-to-year scale.

As for developing your faeries...IF they were accepted, all you would need is two posts...and you wouldn't even have to say much. Just a simple paragraph or two explaining what you want done...and then a post a year later (by whatever scale you use--if it be a month to year, then one RL month) with another couple paragraphs saying they were done. Not the most interesting read, and you would have a lot of naysayers, but were alternate, viable (able of reproducing) non-human species permitted, it would be entirely within the rules.
[/quote]

Well, I haven't RP'd fairies yet. As I explained in the IC thread and in this thread, I will be RPing incremental advances to get to a fairy.

I RP'd three generations of horses. Horse gestation lasts 340 days, so I've pretty much RP'd about 3 years to get to unicorns. That long enough?

YES. Case closed. I have unicorns. :smug:

I have never really understood why people complain about mythical creatures being used in cases of peoples characters. If you are willing to go along with it them accept them as RP'd if you don't then just treat them as normal humans. This way those who want to RP something special can and those who don't want to recognise it don't have to and we are all happy.

[quote name='BaronUberstein' timestamp='1285358697' post='2463513']
Honestly I'm happy with the acceptance of !@#$%^&* now, no GM can overrule it because a mod said it's allowed! Thus, I will be RPing whatever singular damn characters I please, be they aliens, robots or odd creatures discovered on an expedition to the mountains of madness in Antarctica.
[/quote]

Wrong. A mod said that he can have a [b]mostly human[/b] character with vague features of non-human creatures, such as slanty eyes or sharp teeth and whatnot. Anything more than that is official non-canon.

That goes for unicorns, fairies, and other nonsense like that as well.

[quote name='Sargun' timestamp='1285359841' post='2463542']
Wrong. A mod said that he can have a [b]mostly human[/b] character with vague features of non-human creatures, such as slanty eyes or sharp teeth and whatnot. Anything more than that is official non-canon.

That goes for unicorns, fairies, and other nonsense like that as well.
[/quote]
So mael's character is a man with a dry skin problem and filed-down teeth? Because I've heard mael talk about bulletproof scales and such before on IRC.

[quote name='BaronUberstein' timestamp='1285360422' post='2463549']
So mael's character is a man with a dry skin problem and filed-down teeth? Because I've heard mael talk about bulletproof scales and such before on IRC.
[/quote]
You cannot kill a person's characters without permission unless they put themselves in a dangerous spot (like in the middle of a battlefield). If you wish to randomly try to assassinate his character then he can use "bulletproof scales" as an excuse, though if you do not recognize it then you can simply chalk it down to "bulletproof vest".

[quote name='Sargun' timestamp='1285361448' post='2463565']
You cannot kill a person's characters without permission unless they put themselves in a dangerous spot (like in the middle of a battlefield). If you wish to randomly try to assassinate his character then he can use "bulletproof scales" as an excuse, though if you do not recognize it then you can simply chalk it down to "bulletproof vest".
[/quote]
Mmm, so glad I gave up my nation. Please, continue to support !@#$%^&*. Be interesting to see where it goes when dragonmen and furries walk planet bob :P

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1285362833' post='2463591']
All I see is a lot of bawwing because people aren't getting their way enforced on others. Genetics is a technology which will radically change our future in a variety of ways. I like exploring that concept.

Let the bawwing continue. It won't change a thing.
[/quote]

If you want to have a pretty good example of why reckless use of genetic engineering is bad tune into TNT at around 7-8 EST.

I am Legend.

Good movie.

And yes, if we're not careful it could very well end up that way. The book I started writing a long time ago that Karnell is based on ends with the extermination of humanity by its designed successors.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex