Building into space

Lynneth

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanatet Corporation can provide monetary contribution to this project. In addition, we can build facilities to produce the cable, however, we will need blueprints for the facilities. Since the Wanatet Corporation is on a low supply of coal and other raw materials, we cannot contribute raw materials to this project.

OOC: I've read this thread, but I can't find where you specified what the scientists will be studying. What will the scientists be studying/researching?

Wanatet Corporation can provide monetary contribution to this project. In addition, we can build facilities to produce the cable, however, we will need blueprints for the facilities. Since the Wanatet Corporation is on a low supply of coal and other raw materials, we cannot contribute raw materials to this project.

OOC: I've read this thread, but I can't find where you specified what the scientists will be studying. What will the scientists be studying/researching?

If you have no coal, then building the facilities will not be useful, as producing the cable does need mainly carbon - which is in coal. Of course, other sources such as oil or gems can be used, but those are vastly more expensive, even if they can be used much more easily.

OOC: I dunno. Whatever scientists research in space IRL, only on a greater scale? There's a lot of stuff that could be done, though I'm no scientist and thus don't know what exact experiments would benefit from zero-G conditions.

If you have no coal, then building the facilities will not be useful, as producing the cable does need mainly carbon - which is in coal. Of course, other sources such as oil or gems can be used, but those are vastly more expensive, even if they can be used much more easily.

OOC: I dunno. Whatever scientists research in space IRL, only on a greater scale? There's a lot of stuff that could be done, though I'm no scientist and thus don't know what exact experiments would benefit from zero-G conditions.

OOC: It depends on your definition of cruel, cool, violent, bloody, and gross :awesome:

In Zero-g:

you can do genetic research, because skeletons are under less pressure

Do medical work--> Many diseases spread less rapidly under low pressure

run mechanical things with very low friction

cryogenicly freeze people (the real way, with chemicals and them freezing)

Build weapons to fire at earth

etc

Edited by Emperor Aureolus

We were hoping to just act as the producers of the cables, with the raw materials supplied to us. However, if there is not enough coal to go around, or there are enough cable manufacturers already, then we are okay with just contributing financially.

OOC: Growing Crystals is easier, if my memory serves me correctly.

OOC: The facilities are there to get carbon out of coal or w/e by the most efficient means, one of them may be crystallisation. That pure carbon is then used to make the cables.

OOC: It depends on your definition of cruel, cool, violent, bloody, and gross :awesome:

In Zero-g:

you can do genetic research, because skeletons are under less pressure

Do medical work--> Many diseases spread less rapidly under low pressure

run mechanical things with very low friction

cryogenicly freeze people (the real way, with chemicals and them freezing)

Build weapons to fire at earth

etc

OOC: Nice, nice. Seeing as the station will be bigger than the MIR or ISS (see the pic in my first post), there'll be sections for everything. :awesome:

We were hoping to just act as the producers of the cables, with the raw materials supplied to us. However, if there is not enough coal to go around, or there are enough cable manufacturers already, then we are okay with just contributing financially.

IC: Most, if not all of those with facilities have their own coal mines. If you have no coal in your nation, then it would likely be best if you just aid with money.

Our production of Cables should escalate significantly now; we have finally reached access to our more abundant deposits of Coal. More factories are being thrown up as we speak.

Thanks once again to the Imperium of America.

OOC: I guess I'll try to participate as well.

IC:

Classified to Saboria:

We would like to know what components are currently needed for the construction of the elevator. We've got large deposits of coal within our nation and with our current technology, it wouldn't be an issue to initiate production of the cables. We also have qualified engineers and willing laborers, if there is still need for such. Reply as soon as possible.

- Vinilandese Ministry of Science and Technology

OOC: I guess I'll try to participate as well.

IC:

Classified to Saboria:

We would like to know what components are currently needed for the construction of the elevator. We've got large deposits of coal within our nation and with our current technology, it wouldn't be an issue to initiate production of the cables. We also have qualified engineers and willing laborers, if there is still need for such. Reply as soon as possible.

- Vinilandese Ministry of Science and Technology

**Classified Reply**

We thank Viniland for their interest in this project.

As for the materials needed, we will send a list of what is needed shortly. The list will include:

1) Materials needed for the cable itself

2) Materials needed for the space station

If you want, we can also include instruction how to construct them, so that you can produce both cable and station-components yourself, sending them to us to bring them to space at a later time.

Ministry of Science, Saboria

**End of**

OOC:

OOC: Do you have an estimate on what this project would cost, and a reasonable amount for donation?

Many billions. While the cable is 100,000 kilometers long, it will be 3 to 5 individual cables, as to secure it against meteorite strikes or similar dangers. Each cable weights ~60 metric tons or so, so it's comparably light. That also makes it somewhat expensive.

I'd estimate it to cost roughly 30-40 billion Euros (38,643,000,000 - 51,524,000,000 US$, both IRL prices, etc), including the space station and the ground facilities. I still have to build the power plant, though, but it will be supplied by me, for free, to the Republic.

HAY; SARGUN.

I heard you like fusion power? :awesome:

IC:

With the elevator's base at 35% completion, the last part of the puzzle on the ground has been begun.

A fusion power plant and a facility to generate hydrogen from seawater. It would not only supply the elevator itself with energy, but the republic, as well. It would produce 500 MW once finished.

Diberia hopes that there is a plan in place incase the tether breaks and falls down to earth as tens of thousands of meteorites...

If one of the cables breaks, we will know within less than a minute of breaking. There is only danger if a meteorite hits the cable below an altitude of 50 kilometers, which is the point where our shuttles can't possibly reach it anymore. We are still working on how exactly to minimise the damage from these 50 kilometers of cable, though it could certainly be that most will simply burn up in the atmosphere.

Lets not forget that due to the nature of the cable any impact will probably be insignificant since its so light. Our facilities have completed all tests and are now beginning full scale production. We will be shipping out 200 Kilometers of cable at a time. Please have transports ready as we should finish in the coming weeks.

Lets not forget that due to the nature of the cable any impact will probably be insignificant since its so light. Our facilities have completed all tests and are now beginning full scale production. We will be shipping out 200 Kilometers of cable at a time. Please have transports ready as we should finish in the coming weeks.

Transport ships are being readied to bring the cable from the U.R.P.R. to Saboria.

IC:

With the elevator's base at 35% completion, the last part of the puzzle on the ground has been begun.

A fusion power plant and a facility to generate hydrogen from seawater. It would not only supply the elevator itself with energy, but the republic, as well. It would produce 500 MW once finished.

We suggest you to use solar power, sun rays are much stronger in the outer space, and hardly anything would block the solar panels.

Also, it will take us some time to start our oil shipping because our south harbor has been completely destroyed, reducing our exports and imports by nearly 55%.

We suggest you to use solar power, sun rays are much stronger in the outer space, and hardly anything would block the solar panels.

Also, it will take us some time to start our oil shipping because our south harbor has been completely destroyed, reducing our exports and imports by nearly 55%.

The fusion plant will be built on the ground. To power the climber (the part that'll go up and down), either laser power beaming will be used, or we will include a second cable.

Laser power beaming is using megawatt powered free electron or solid state lasers in combination with adaptive mirrors approximately 10 m wide and a photovoltaic array on the climber tuned to the laser frequency for efficiency.

The scientist Yoshio Aoki suggested including a second cable and using the superconductivity of carbon nanotubes to provide power.

The fusion plant will be built on the ground. To power the climber (the part that'll go up and down), either laser power beaming will be used, or we will include a second cable.

Laser power beaming is using megawatt powered free electron or solid state lasers in combination with adaptive mirrors approximately 10 m wide and a photovoltaic array on the climber tuned to the laser frequency for efficiency.

The scientist Yoshio Aoki suggested including a second cable and using the superconductivity of carbon nanotubes to provide power.

ooc: i thought it was with microwaves.

OOC: I stated the two most likely possibilities, and one of these I will use.

Seeing as I'm building a fusion power plant, I'll likely use the laser.

ooc: aw man I wanna cook a whole chicken by throwing it over the facility but whatever.

IC: Our factories have finished the first shipment of cable and is now commencing with the next. Please send your cargo ships to our harbor when you can.

ooc: aw man I wanna cook a whole chicken by throwing it over the facility but whatever.

IC: Our factories have finished the first shipment of cable and is now commencing with the next. Please send your cargo ships to our harbor when you can.

OOC: lol. The microwaves would be dangerous to the people in the elevator.

IC: The ships are on their way and will arrive shortly.

ooc: hey saborian fried person could be the next best thing in fast food.

OOC: I rather like my people, so no.

IC:

We sincerely hope everything goes well and wish our Saborian neighbors the best of luck

We thank Tahoe for this statement of support.