Cyber Nations Wiki Editor Team

Smitty256

I am not sure if this is the proper section of the forums for this to be posted. If not, please feel free to move it to the proper section.

Are there any dedicated Cyber Nations Wiki editors? 

I have been doing most of the edits on the CN wiki mostly by myself for a while now. While, it is nice that a lot of things are mostly uniform in the code now, it is frustrating that there really isn't anyone helping me make these edits. 

We need a dedicated CN Wiki Editor team. If anyone wants official edits/changes made to their alliance page or nation page, they ask they Editor team to make said changes. If we do this, then we can largely avoid the unverified users from making edits. We can avoid edit wars. We can avoid anyone that is not qualified to edit from editing. 

I want to bring the CN Wiki as up to date as humanly possible, but it will take me a long time to do this by myself. I need help. 

I know that the @Moderation team will fix any problems on the CN wiki, but that is mostly all they do. I know that there are really only 2 sides to this game now. If we have 4 or 5 people from each side to make up the Editor team, we can keep the CN Wiki as balanced as possible. 

What do you all think of this idea? I am going to continue doing what I have been doing, but I would love it if I had help.

CN forum moderation isn't the same as wiki moderation.

I am not opposed to being a rep, but I really don't edit the wiki all that much, only when I notice something off the rails or someone asks me to edit something. That said, I'm not sure what level of engagement you're looking for.

5 hours ago, Caustic said:

Tevron is not allowed to touch the wiki.

I am actually, are you volunteering to pitch in? I know that community might only extend to your IC mentality but it is bigger than that or your personal feelings. Imo Smitty is trying to improve the community through one of its biggest resources. Get productive or step aside.

5 hours ago, firingline said:

Tevron is not allowed to touch the wiki.

The puppy following me around act is cute. Reminds me of a gif you like.

Could be interesting. Things to consider would be how the editors would communicate with each other, Manual of Style for editing, as well as the best way to deal with unverified information.

I do believe if this gains traction, it could be good for the community albeit with this time of Discord instead of IRC and forums / website getting nuked / being removed from the internet it might be tricky. I also do note that there haven't really been any "Newly Created Alliances" since 2017 on the Main Page, even though there have definitely been new entities. Could be a great way to fill out some of those more obscure entities, even if they are stubs / footnotes.

I’d volunteer but I don’t know anything about editing an article yet alone on CyberNations Wiki.

In addition, if I could have my reservations addressed privately then I’d be receptive to doing some work. Right now, I’m hesitant to do so and for right reasons.

I wouldn't be opposed to helping. I can see how an informative wiki could help new players gather interest in the game / get politically involved. 

That said, like Hershey mentioned, I am not sure how the wiki works. A little teaching and I could probably get going myself. 

Also, I wouldn't be able to give too much time to this, but some time is better than none.

Just doing a quick look-up, a good starting point would likely be this, especially the Manual of Style for general editing, while Citation when it comes to linking things such as references to forum threads / posts in the wiki article(s).

For the Wiki, there are two Bureaucrats who are users who can add certain right(s) to a Wiki account, as well as remove certain right(s) from an account. These are @J Andresand @Bobogoobo. There is also one Administrator, the big bad as it were and that is @Rogal Dorn.

Quick sum-up, and some reading material for anyone who was interested in contributing in editing, or needing a place to start from.

Being elitist about who's allowed to edit is not the way to go about it. If you can spread awareness and interest to get more people helping keep things up to date, that would be good. Happy to help (my talk page on the wiki, or Bobogoobo#9673 on Discord) if anyone needs assistance with editing, but the best way to learn is to jump in. There are plenty of resources for how to edit on Fandom and MediaWiki in general. If mistakes are made, we can fix it and educate for next time. As long as you're editing in good faith, all contributions are welcome.

28 minutes ago, Bobogoobo said:

Being elitist about who's allowed to edit is not the way to go about it. If you can spread awareness and interest to get more people helping keep things up to date, that would be good. Happy to help (my talk page on the wiki, or Bobogoobo#9673 on Discord) if anyone needs assistance with editing, but the best way to learn is to jump in. There are plenty of resources for how to edit on Fandom and MediaWiki in general. If mistakes are made, we can fix it and educate for next time. As long as you're editing in good faith, all contributions are welcome.

All contributions are welcome... except for Tevron's.

18 hours ago, Bobogoobo said:

Well said, thank you. This ^^^^ 100%