The Amazing Sanction Race

Logan

Admin stated that he wouldn't allow them to add their flag ingame if the reason behind them attaining sanction was threw 30 or so ghosts.

I didn't know that there are a rule about it to get a flag, but if admin said so who is me to question...

:ph34r:

This has gotten me thinking about the nature of the sphere portion of the daily update. While we're certainly glad to be helping white grab the top spot today, many spheres really are better represented in the sanction race and are therefore more likely to have a good day in this stat. Sure, blue or aqua are also technically vulnerable to have greater swings downward as well if all alliances of a sphere do poorly that day, but like a diversified investment portfolio, they have greater protection against losses in general. I'm no math guru (and I give my humblest thanks for the great work of those that update the race) but wouldn't some sort of mean, weighted average, or a standardized index give a better picture of how the top alliances in the sphere are doing? If you find this to be a silly request, feel free to shout me down, I was just hoping some math whiz out there would find it interesting to explore.

It's exactly that reason that I've considered discontinuing this race while I do update. The race takes into account only the members from the Sanctioned Alliances, meaning

1) the race is incomplete.

2) not all colors are represented.

3) there's no point for having it beyond entertainment.

I mean, sure, I don't mind taking an extra five minutes doing all the addition (or subtraction) every day to finish it, but there's essentially no point. Even with your suggestion, what gain is there from adding color information to the Sanction Race update? It would be best analyzed in full (meaning all colors and all alliances) in its own thread.

I found the old sanction races...There are alot of alliances I don't even know on here.

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?s...l=sanction+race

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?s...l=sanction+race

P.S.: IF you want your alliance in the race, you need to be above 200 members and then PM me your member count, color, and link to stats, thank you.

Just shows have times have changed.

Just shows have times have changed.

Indeed. Hopefully times will change for the better even more so - I'd like to see top 12, period, sanctioned, even it means letting them opt out of being on the drop-down list.

(yeah, I know that kinda means they won't be, but I mean as in TOP having flag added, etc)

Edited by Diomede

Indeed. Hopefully times will change for the better even more so - I'd like to see top 12, period, sanctioned, even it means letting them opt out of being on the drop-down list.

(yeah, I know that kinda means they won't be, but I mean as in TOP having flag added, etc)

I agree...TOP should have their flag added. Get rid of all the odd custom flags and replace them with in game alliance flags.

3) there's no point for having it beyond entertainment.

I mean, sure, I don't mind taking an extra five minutes doing all the addition (or subtraction) every day to finish it, but there's essentially no point. Even with your suggestion, what gain is there from adding color information to the Sanction Race update? It would be best analyzed in full (meaning all colors and all alliances) in its own thread.

Is there another point to this thread beyond entertainment? Sphere rivalry is one of the best things about this thread. I agree that the stat has very little meaning, and I understand updaters that don't do it, but I very much appreciate those who add it. It give more to comment on and more to trash talk about, which is the whole point.

:(( Aqua :((

Is there another point to this thread beyond entertainment? Sphere rivalry is one of the best things about this thread. I agree that the stat has very little meaning, and I understand updaters that don't do it, but I very much appreciate those who add it. It give more to comment on and more to trash talk about, which is the whole point.

:(( Aqua :((

I meant in terms of within this thread. Sure, I'll keep updating it because, well, it doesn't matter much, but it could be better utilized somewhere else. I mean, this is the Amazing Sanction Race, not the Color Race.

I agree...TOP should have their flag added. Get rid of all the odd custom flags and replace them with in game alliance flags.

Some of those odd (though I think you meant old) custome flags deserve to be there. Like NAAC, they had a larger impact than many of the current random alliances looking for sanction now.

Which is funny considering we probably still had less ghosts than most sanctioned alliances. :P

And percentage wise ;)

30 ghosts on a total of 200 is quite a lot.

Having said that i would have liked to see the TOP flag added.

I agree that the current way the "color race" is being done does not make any sense. First of all, as it has already been stated, only the alliances above the add line are being represented. Also, just because an alliance is officially some color does not mean 100% of the alliance's members are all that color.

Why don't the updaters just use the team stats page (http://www.cybernations.net/stats_team_stats.asp)? I know its not real time, but if its used consistently then who cares?

not VE, we only have ~3 right now.

If you posted a random check-in thread in your private forums, and 300 people checked in within a week, I would literally give you and your alliance 30 million.

Having said that, you'd probably get 100-150, max. Ghosts don't just mean unregistered nations.

I agree that the current way the "color race" is being done does not make any sense. First of all, as it has already been stated, only the alliances above the add line are being represented. Also, just because an alliance is officially some color does not mean 100% of the alliance's members are all that color.

Why don't the updaters just use the team stats page (http://www.cybernations.net/stats_team_stats.asp)? I know its not real time, but if its used consistently then who cares?

I do do that...whenever i do update :)

Theres a difference between a ghost and an active member.

I would define someone who only checks the forums once a month as an inactive member not a ghost... But that's just me.

A ghost is someone who you don't want there, or is there uninvited IMO. B)

Absolutely. But a member who checks the forums once every couple months is equally useless.

Besides, they both fulfill important duties.

If you posted a random check-in thread in your private forums, and 300 people checked in within a week, I would literally give you and your alliance 30 million.

Having said that, you'd probably get 100-150, max. Ghosts don't just mean unregistered nations.

Absolutely. But a member who checks the forums once every couple months is equally useless.

Besides, they both fulfill important duties.

oh man, i know far to well that ghosts are only nations who are not members, and that ghosts are often far more active then members. that said may i ask what your personal opinion on inactive members is?

Exactly my point.