An Umbrella Treaty Announcement

[quote name='Johnny Apocalypse' timestamp='1339009981' post='2978334']
You mean you nestled us in huge treaty web configurations to avoid real opposition as long as possible. Most of the treaties we hold are ones which you signed.
[/quote]

Except I wasn't talking about Umbrella at all. You're welcome to cancel any of them and I won't bat an eye. :)

edit: and not really, I was kind of anticipating opposing coalitions to focus upper tier NS on Umbrella since it would make sense rather than avoiding it after the experience in the previous war when it was 3:1.

Edited by Roquentin

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Johnny Apocalypse' timestamp='1339009981' post='2978334']
You mean you nestled us in huge treaty web configurations to avoid real opposition as long as possible. Most of the treaties we hold are ones which you signed.
[/quote]

umm that's what foreign affairs does, dawg. :P

[quote name='Omniscient1' timestamp='1339010266' post='2978339']
umm that's what foreign affairs does, dawg. :P
[/quote]

Typically, but you're talking about FA in a traditional sense. I am talking about alliances that aren't particularly inclined in terms of rhetoric and talk about wanting a good fight and they still do the other thing so they don't have to find themselves in that situation.

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1339010398' post='2978341']
Typically, but you're talking about FA in a traditional sense. I am talking about alliances that aren't particularly inclined in terms of rhetoric and talk about wanting a good fight and they still do the other thing so they don't have to find themselves in that situation.
[/quote]

Nearly every treaty anyone signs makes it "less likely for confrontation". That's generally what diplomacy is. If you can't sign treaties that make your position stronger then you're general doing something wrong in FA.

Just like this treaty. Great treaty between two great alliances, strengthens Umbrella's FA position (although muddles it some too), and gives them less opponents in the field if they ever go to war. That's just how things work.

Edited by Omniscient1

[quote name='Omniscient1' timestamp='1339010647' post='2978344']
Nearly every treaty anyone signs makes it "less likely for confrontation". That's generally what diplomacy is. If you can't sign treaties that make your position stronger then you're general doing something wrong in FA.
[/quote]

I don't think you're really getting it. It's people that want confrontation, but don't act on it in terms of what they do FA-wise.

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1339010750' post='2978345']
I don't think you're really getting it. It's people that want confrontation, but don't act on it in terms of what they do FA-wise.
[/quote]

Well, you're acting like I quoted your post...... I didn't. JA said that you positioned them in a web of strong allies which gave them no one to fight. I said "that's what FA is designed to do".

[quote name='Omniscient1' timestamp='1339010647' post='2978344']

Just like this treaty. Great treaty between two great alliances, strengthens Umbrella's FA position (although muddles it some too), and gives them less opponents in the field if they ever go to war. That's just how things work.
[/quote]
He's saying NG talks a big game about wanting !@#$ to be fair when it comes to fighting but makes sure they never have to see a fair fight.

[quote name='Neo Uruk' timestamp='1339010987' post='2978350']
He's saying NG talks a big game about wanting !@#$ to be fair when it comes to fighting but makes sure they never have to see a fair fight.
[/quote]

Yea, I'm just confused because my post had nothing to do with his original point :blink:

[quote name='Omniscient1' timestamp='1339011209' post='2978353']
Yea, I'm just confused because my post had nothing to do with his original point :blink:
[/quote]
You quoted Johnny, who was talking about that point. It's really easy to see here man!

The issue is, Johnny mistook it for me talking about Umbrella. The initial point about what "FA does," in a normal fashion wasn't in contention at any point. It was more him labeling me a hypocrite for calling out someone that isn't Umbrella, which doesn't make sense.

Edited by Roquentin

[quote name='Johnny Apocalypse' timestamp='1339012728' post='2978371']
yeah honestly i wish these guys would listen to me when i say my square peg is the one that goes in the hole.
[/quote]
I believe you Johnny!

[quote name='Neo Uruk' timestamp='1339002708' post='2978280']
His record for... siding with his bloc until TOP hit MK? Huh.
[/quote]

His record for signing treaties for the exact same reason everyone does and for the reason they exist in the first place.

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1339009334' post='2978332']
The difference is, that the people I am targetting the allegations to are the ones who talk about wanting to fight all the time and wanting wars that are good for entertainment value and challenging. It's one thing to play politics in the sense you're suggesting, but when your(not your as in MCRABT) rhetoric consists of "let's shake things up" and the actions don't line up with the rhetoric, it's another thing altogether.

edit: If only my track record was taken into consideration more of the time. D:
[/quote]

I don't think who you are targeting is relevant. You know perfectly well that the most urgent priority for an alliance (nation state) in the international system is to ensure its survival, because there are other large actors competing for influence and the system is filled with anarchy the only way to do this is to sign treaties (make alliances). You can "shake" things up but only within the constraints of they system itself, trying to change the way it operates requires stability in the system itself which is unattainable, undesirable and certainly not what folks are referring to when they say they aim to "shake things up". Anyone who has ever been in a position of relevance has been there by virtue of the network they created around themselves, it just shows they have played the game well.

"Shaking things up" is just a reference to exercising ones power effectively and efficiently to achieve their own goals.

[quote name='IYIyTh' timestamp='1339020186' post='2978407']
Quick, turn this into a Roquentin hate fes....

Oh, you're way ahead of me guys!
[/quote]

I think he does a fair share of hating in any thread he has the opportunity, action and reaction, it's a vicious cycle. The victim complex only works when you have the high ground, you gain the high ground by rising above the tittle tattle something you and Roq have never been willing to do.

[quote name='IYIyTh' timestamp='1339020186' post='2978407']
Quick, turn this into a Roquentin hate fes....

Oh, you're way ahead of me guys!
[/quote]

Roq charges into nearly every discussion, spins his tired old spiel while taking things off topic, and you want to throw he and yourself up on a cross because somebody said something that wasn't nice. Quit trying to turn every thread into your own political soapbox and maybe you'll be left alone, but I'm betting that negative attention is better than no attention as far as you're concerned.

If you'll excuse me, I'm not going to sit here and pound F5 until someone replies.

Oh and congratulations or condolences to Umbrella or whatever.

[quote name='MCRABT' timestamp='1339067088' post='2978703']
I think he does a fair share of hating in any thread he has the opportunity, action and reaction, it's a vicious cycle. The victim complex only works when you have the high ground, you gain the high ground by rising above
[/quote]

Or perhaps the drivel is diversionary to draw away from the underlying problems that are developed earlier in this thread?

Also the "victim complex," only works in diminishing another's claim when it is being used solely as the basis of their argument. That is not valid in this or any of the instances I think you would indicate a "victim-complex," was used. More often than not it is those whom are outright lambasting others rather responding to the conversation and valid talking points who are actually employing a victim complex that prevents them from responding -- hint -- it's not Roq.

(Also, never? I just did. [img]http://forums.cybernations.net/public/style_emoticons/default/ehm.gif[/img])

Edited by IYIyTh

[quote name='Vorenus' timestamp='1339075673' post='2978731']
Roq charges into nearly every discussion, spins his tired old spiel while taking things off topic, [/quote]

Actually more often than not he's on topic -- even if not in ways others wish he would be (self included,)-- but in this case he was used as an excuse to get away from that terrible mess that developed earlier ITT. I don't see how commenting on this fact is something beyond comprehension considering [i]most[/i] of you are very smart cookies.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA9OqUuA6a0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA9OqUuA6a0[/url]

Edited by IYIyTh