• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1331468049' post='2936768']
It's not might. I will.
[/quote]

"(minimum of 20 for this prize)"

Disclaimer important. Especially if your micro is so small that 20 in the space of a month is actually a significant challenge. It makes even less sense when you could be recruiting 20 more members for ones own alliance, and getting those alliance members to sell me tech instead.

[quote name='Avakael' timestamp='1331468213' post='2936769']
"(minimum of 20 for this prize)"

Disclaimer important. Especially if your micro is so small that 20 in the space of a month is actually a significant challenge. It makes even less sense when you could be recruiting 20 more members for ones own alliance, and getting those alliance members to sell me tech instead.
[/quote]

Yes, it'd be a minimum of 20 for the grand prize. Otherwise, it'd default to the second place thing. That's kind of why it's for non-gov members.

In addition, I already said, I don't know anything about recruiting. I don't know anything about graphic design either.

edit: Oh, I see your AA now. Good thing I know not to take your responses seriously. The hypercritical nature is now understood.

Edited by Roquentin

Well, let me introduce you to how this ticks in my head, then.

Lets take this in the purely economics based sense that this should be taken in, as this should not be considered a competition, given how many people can reasonably be expected to be bothered with your competition (no more people than prizes available, and if someone recruited a number members for you and you gave them nothing in exchange because they were not amongst the top 4 recruiters they would be rightfully angry); it should be considered a business exchange, as you will be exchanging an amount of tech for a service.

Let us say I have a resource, and my resource is my recruitment efforts. Through applying my resource, I can expect to gain an average (an educated guess on this formula assuming a larger sized alliance gets better results for their efforts based off of the evidence already presented in this topic; how awesome or non awesome my efforts are is considered to be a fixed value) of x = y / 20 new members per week (lets assume I'm an incredibly convincing character, or more likely, there's a lot of gullible rulers of new nations out there, and x can therefore never be less than 2), where x is the number of gained members through the recruitment efforts, and y is the number of pre-existing members in the alliance one is recruiting for.

I could recruit for your alliance over the course of 4 weeks, and at most, gain 8 members, maybe a couple more if I'm lucky. In exchange, I will be paid a maximum of 1200 tech for this service.

Alternatively, I could recruit for my own alliance (now the Mushroom Kingdom assuming my application is successful), which has a membership of 135 members. I would gain slightly less than a member a day; or about 25 members. Myself and other members of my alliance do tech deals with these members; the nature of the tech deals do not shift any resources outside of my alliance meaning nothing is expended except for extra time to gain the 1200 tech, and not only do I get 1200 tech, but potentially, so do other members of my alliance, perhaps as many as 24. Finally, my alliance potentially gets up to 25 active new people, 25 new people being enlightened and doing the real deal on planet bob, instead of only 8 in your alliance.

I'm pretty sure you won't be dealing tech with Mushroom Kingdom with your 8 new members given that you consider us your greatest enemy, so you can rule that out, unless you've got an ally somewhere recruiting for you. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't get lucky enough (250% more new members than what can be reasonably expected) to achieve your lifetime tech prize, so you can rule that out. I'm also pretty sure that your lifetime tech prize will only last for the lifetime of your alliance, and I shouldn't need to explain why I'm allowed to be skeptical about how long Paraguas will last.

In reality, you are not only asking me to recruit for your alliance, but by expending my recruitment efforts for your alliance, you are asking me to expend the opportunity cost of my recruitment abilities that otherwise could have gone towards the Mushroom Kingdom. That is not acceptable for me. That should not be acceptable to any person who legitimately cares about their own alliance. There is no motive except for personal greed, and even that is misplaced; economically, you are better off investing ones time in the recruitment program of your own alliance than signing up for this competition that might not even have a division one winner.

Good sir, I bid you get out, and take your scheme with you, because this is clearly not the most efficient way of generating personal gain, or a way for ones alliance to gain at all. I expect you to either claim otherwise with equally solid evidence, or revert back to your standard message of "for the greater good in the role of destroying the Mushroom Kingdom", in which case, you should be asking people to join your alliance proper on that, not asking them to recruit for you for "eternal tech".

Edited by Avakael

I'm not asking you to do anything in this instance. I have no gun to your head. If no one signed up, it wouldn't bother me one bit. If Paraguas is going to be attacked, they might as well get it over with. Our security isn't a pressing concern, really, because you get nothing out of attacking us and I won't call anyone in, unless the time is right. The Mushroom Kingdom is the sick man of Digiterra. It wouldn't bother me too much. I won't call anyone in and Laz is cool with fighting, I just promise it won't end well.

Avakael: the irony of you joining such an alliance when you were still upset over questionable behavior on Halin's part months ago should not be lost on anyone. Given MK has told Myth to kill himself and take me with him, you're really barking up the wrong tree here.

OH NO MY 5 K NS NATION. Seriously.

Edited by Roquentin

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1331470475' post='2936779']
I'm not asking you to do anything in this instance. I have no gun to your head. If no one signed up, it wouldn't bother me one bit. If Paraguas is going to be attacked, they might as well get it over with. Our security isn't a pressing concern, really, because you get nothing out of attacking us and I won't call anyone in, unless the time is right. The Mushroom Kingdom is the sick man of Digiterra. It wouldn't bother me too much. I won't call anyone in and Laz is cool with fighting, I just promise it won't end well.
[/quote]
You did ask us to do something, in your opening post. I certainly never implied that you had a gun to my head, or even the capability; I implied quite the opposite. If nobody signing up does not bother you, then I hope you enjoy your unsuccessful program that you don't care about. I have said what has needed to be said for anyone who thinks it would be better to waste their time with your program instead of in the brig of their own alliance.

Good. I'm not asking you as an individual. If you want to attack the premise and deter other people from signing up, all the power to you, means I don't have to pay it out.

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1331465193' post='2936763']
What is MK going to do to IRON? Not a damn thing, so MK's opinion of Myth is irrelevant.
[/quote]

I didn't see any suggestion from anyone that MK was going to do anything to IRON so is that just a random question you are throwing out there without any context?

As for Myth his views are exactly that, a fair number of them I find fairly cringe worthy myself, but I don't much care for gagging our members. The negativity that he brings upon himself is the price he has to pay for being a gob!@#$e, that is his burden alone to carry. Myth isn't a member of IRON government and he doesn't speak for IRON.

[quote name='MCRABT' timestamp='1331475870' post='2936791']
I didn't see any suggestion from anyone that MK was going to do anything to IRON so is that just a random question you are throwing out there without any context?

As for Myth his views are exactly that, a fair number of them I find fairly cringe worthy myself, but I don't much care for gagging our members. The negativity that he brings upon himself is the price he has to pay for being a gob!@#$e, that is his burden alone to carry. Myth isn't a member of IRON government and he doesn't speak for IRON.
[/quote]

It's an implication that Myth's posting has some bearing on IRON, meaning a penalty of some kind. In other words, a form of FA sanction, "POOR IRON FA DEPT." The conclusion of such sentiments is that impacts IRON to allow Myth to post as his posting attracts negative attention of some kind from people like MK. I hope that's clear enough.

For example, people said similar things when I was actually gov in Sparta, but instead of doing any harm to Sparta, diplo registrations were up and it increased interest in that alliance.

Edited by Roquentin

[/quote]
I have the same thoughts with him going on about MK rolling him in the last 4 posts before yours. I'm guessing he just does it to provoke a response.

[quote name='Avakael' timestamp='1331476044' post='2936794']
I have the same thoughts with him going on about MK rolling him in the last 4 posts before yours. I'm guessing he just does it to provoke a response.
[/quote]

Given I already explained it, it appears your true colors continue show, Avakael. Given the implicit threats have been made multiple times, ie. Ardus' post in the AGW treaty thread, "This is a suicide pact," for instance, it's not really me pulling it out of thin air. You're just being hopelessly obtuse, such is the case most of the time when people say I am pulling things out of nowhere. Hell, you also did it earlier on the thread. In addition, given that an Umbrella member idiotically took it upon themselves to attack Laz for no reason, I think it's a legit issue.

In addition, the Prince of the Mushroom Kingdom has made it a goal to remove me from the community because it will bestow some kind of benefit upon it.

edit: I await Blacky's likely idiotic reply.

Edited by Roquentin

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1331476337' post='2936795']
"This is a suicide pact," for instance, it's not really me pulling it out of thin air. You're just being hopelessly obtuse, such is the case most of the time when people say I am pulling things out of nowhere. Hell, you also did it earlier on the thread.
[/quote]
That's no more than a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you run around shouting "MK is going to roll me", even though at best you've been met with amusement and not much else, and then proceed to berate people at every opportunity you get--don't be surprised if you actually get what you're asking for.

Also I didn't read the "suicide pact" line but that's a hilarious metaphor for the situation.

Still, pointing out the projected shortcomings of an alliance does not a threat make.

[quote name='Blacky' timestamp='1331477358' post='2936801']
That's no more than a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you run around shouting "MK is going to roll me", even though at best you've been met with amusement and not much else, and then proceed to berate people at every opportunity you get--don't be surprised if you actually get what you're asking for.

Also I didn't read the "suicide pact" line but that's a hilarious metaphor for the situation.

Still, pointing out the projected shortcomings of an alliance does not a threat make.
[/quote]

Well, people keep saying that I have something to be worried about. I don't think that's the case and if you agree, I hope it is understood universally. I berate people who have stepped on me on various instances and I pointed it out going back to before I quit. I just didn't have enough time to apprehend Dr. Dragan Dabic or as he is also known, babyjesus. Both said the same things.

I hope it becomes much clearer as to why I am in Scottish terms, a gob!@#$.

edit: MCRABT: I first warned Valhalla in December of them and DT being targets based on what had been said in the Doomworld Conference forum, and it's been confirmed that there were attempts to manipulate the Legion-Tetris war to that end. Along with the fact that there have been public admissions from several DH officials of such intentions, maybe you should take a second look at MK. With Ragnarok, I made the same thing clear to Bob Ilyani, especially about the forum spying thing, and told him I'd try to help him seal off RoK's other fronts.

In addition, the plan to split IRON off from Valhalla extends back to the DT/FOK episode where Raken thought IRON was swing for some reason, which I read in the Umb gov forums when I returned.

Edited by Roquentin

[quote name='Avakael' timestamp='1331470239' post='2936778']

Lets take this in the purely economics based sense that this should be taken in, as this should not be considered a competition, given how many people can reasonably be expected to be bothered with your competition (no more people than prizes available, and if someone recruited a number members for you and you gave them nothing in exchange because they were not amongst the top 4 recruiters they would be rightfully angry); it should be considered a business exchange, as you will be exchanging an amount of tech for a service.

Let us say I have a resource, and my resource is my recruitment efforts. Through applying my resource, I can expect to gain an average (an educated guess on this formula assuming a larger sized alliance gets better results for their efforts based off of the evidence already presented in this topic; how awesome or non awesome my efforts are is considered to be a fixed value) of x = y / 20 new members per week (lets assume I'm an incredibly convincing character, or more likely, there's a lot of gullible rulers of new nations out there, and x can therefore never be less than 2), where x is the number of gained members through the recruitment efforts, and y is the number of pre-existing members in the alliance one is recruiting for.

I could recruit for your alliance over the course of 4 weeks, and at most, gain 8 members, maybe a couple more if I'm lucky. In exchange, I will be paid a maximum of 1200 tech for this service.

Alternatively, I could recruit for my own alliance (now the Mushroom Kingdom assuming my application is successful), which has a membership of 135 members. I would gain slightly less than a member a day; or about 25 members. Myself and other members of my alliance do tech deals with these members; the nature of the tech deals do not shift any resources outside of my alliance meaning nothing is expended except for extra time to gain the 1200 tech, and not only do I get 1200 tech, but potentially, so do other members of my alliance, perhaps as many as 24. Finally, my alliance potentially gets up to 25 active new people, 25 new people being enlightened and doing the real deal on planet bob, instead of only 8 in your alliance.

I'm pretty sure you won't be dealing tech with Mushroom Kingdom with your 8 new members given that you consider us your greatest enemy, so you can rule that out, unless you've got an ally somewhere recruiting for you. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't get lucky enough (250% more new members than what can be reasonably expected) to achieve your lifetime tech prize, so you can rule that out. I'm also pretty sure that your lifetime tech prize will only last for the lifetime of your alliance, and I shouldn't need to explain why I'm allowed to be skeptical about how long Paraguas will last.

In reality, you are not only asking me to recruit for your alliance, but by expending my recruitment efforts for your alliance, you are asking me to expend the opportunity cost of my recruitment abilities that otherwise could have gone towards the Mushroom Kingdom. That is not acceptable for me. That should not be acceptable to any person who legitimately cares about their own alliance. There is no motive except for personal greed, and even that is misplaced; economically, you are better off investing ones time in the recruitment program of your own alliance than signing up for this competition that might not even have a division one winner.

Good sir, I bid you get out, and take your scheme with you, because this is clearly not the most efficient way of generating personal gain, or a way for ones alliance to gain at all. I expect you to either claim otherwise with equally solid evidence, or revert back to your standard message of "for the greater good in the role of destroying the Mushroom Kingdom", in which case, you should be asking people to join your alliance proper on that, not asking them to recruit for you for "eternal tech".
[/quote]

You, individually, may have no incentive to recruit. You don't need a wall of text to explain why someone wouldn't want to help an alliance on the opposite side of the treaty web. But you seem to extend this deduction to other alliances as well, so I'll have to reply to this.

Most recruiters will often find that not everyone they recruit will have the same tastes. For example, a neutral alliance recruiter will have trouble finding people in their niche and can forward a recommendation. Some nation leaders enjoy small, yet active alliances; a sanctioned alliance won't keep these members and can forward such people to Paraguas. I know a few people who ask new nations which alliances suit them, they could forward a recommendation.

If you're looking for tech sellers, an easy way to find them is to recruit. Whether or not it's for your alliance. There's no guarantee that a new nation sells tech exclusively to their own alliance. By recruiting for another alliance, you get a first claim to their tech, before another alliance does. Plus, Paraguas doesn't have any tech buyers with open slots last I checked, so it's an easy way to get long term tech deals as well.

The 'eternal tech' prize is only up for someone who recruits exceptionally, like for example, external recruiting or those who spend a lot of time on it. It is a very far shot, but then again, it's also a very expensive prize to pay off. Though someone who does do that well deserves it.

Recruiting isn't that hard; it's just converting time into recruits. There are plenty of tiny alliances who have grown quite a lot from recruitment. The time limit might be a bit of a boon - that way, competitors won't spend too much time on recruiting. And with entrants being as low as they are, you only need to recruit 1-2 members to win easy tech.

[/quote]

Having a bunch of morons who would do and/or say anything to harm my well being (and yours, just as soon,) being upset with me is a small price to pay for saying and/or doing what is right.

One of these days it'll click. ^_^

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1331475965' post='2936793']
It's an implication that Myth's posting has some bearing on IRON, meaning a penalty of some kind. In other words, a form of FA sanction, "POOR IRON FA DEPT." The conclusion of such sentiments is that impacts IRON to allow Myth to post as his posting attracts negative attention of some kind from people like MK. I hope that's clear enough.

For example, people said similar things when I was actually gov in Sparta, but instead of doing any harm to Sparta, diplo registrations were up and it increased interest in that alliance.
[/quote]
[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1331475965' post='2936793']

[/quote]

I agree the implication that Myth's views would somehow impact create work for our FA dept was there, but I think it's a far stretch to take that implication presume the poster believed that Myth's viewpoints would be misconstrued as IRON's views which he didn't imply, then to take a presumption based on a subjective interpenetration of an implication to reach a conclusion. From a totally impartial standpoint its clear to me your making presumptions to fit the conclusions you feel fits your agenda best.

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1331477466' post='2936802']
edit: MCRABT: I first warned Valhalla in December of them and DT being targets based on what had been said in the Doomworld Conference forum, and it's been confirmed that there were attempts to manipulate the Legion-Tetris war to that end. Along with the fact that there have been public admissions from several DH officials of such intentions, maybe you should take a second look at MK. With Ragnarok, I made the same thing clear to Bob Ilyani, especially about the forum spying thing, and told him I'd try to help him seal off RoK's other fronts.

In addition, the plan to split IRON off from Valhalla extends back to the DT/FOK episode where Raken thought IRON was swing for some reason, which I read in the Umb gov forums when I returned.
[/quote]

And you have informed me also of this previously. In all honesty I wouldn't be at all surprised if their is some truth in what you said, I don't trust MK any more than the next bloke on the street, they have their own best interests to look after and I have IRON's, at times those interests may not be mutually exclusive and I'm happy to work with anyone to mutual advantage, at other times however our interests may clash. In such instances they will pursue what is in their best interest and we ours, that is the nature of the game, MK play it well and I commend them for it even if I don't agree with all their methods.

[quote name='IYIyTh' timestamp='1331479892' post='2936816']
Having a bunch of morons who would do and/or say anything to harm my well being (and yours, just as soon,) being upset with me is a small price to pay for saying and/or doing what is right.

One of these days it'll click. ^_^
[/quote]

There is more than one way to swing a cat.

[quote name='MCRABT' timestamp='1331481851' post='2936830']
I agree the implication that Myth's views would somehow impact create work for our FA dept was there, but I think it's a far stretch to take that implication presume the poster believed that Myth's viewpoints would be misconstrued as IRON's views which he didn't imply, then to take a presumption based on a subjective interpenetration of an implication to reach a conclusion.
[/quote]

Careful, now. Two presumptions don't make a right. In fact there is more context in the direct reply that I'm happy and doing well in IRON to imply he believes that simply being a member is a detriment to IRON to say otherwise. It might be implied, but if we're to ignore context then there is equal amount of evidence that I live on the moon and you are currently wearing three layers of underwear. That's of course putting aside the bogus false pretenses of which he makes the claim in addition to having no validity or care for what (if I truly have any,) views are viewed as deconstructive.

[quote name='MCRABT' timestamp='1331481851' post='2936830']
There is more than one way to swing a cat.
[/quote]

Not for everyone.

Edited by IYIyTh

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1331476337' post='2936795']
In addition, the Prince of the Mushroom Kingdom has made it a goal to remove me from the community because it will bestow some kind of benefit upon it.
[/quote]
Would it shatter your world view to know that the last post related to you on the low or high MK gov board was 4 weeks ago?

[quote name='rsoxbronco1' timestamp='1331484280' post='2936840']
Would it shatter your world view to know that the last post related to you on the low or high MK gov board was 4 weeks ago?
[/quote]

I'm sure he'll be thrilled to learn that a handful of your members have ceased suggesting he end his life in plain view.

[quote name='IYIyTh' timestamp='1331484445' post='2936842']
I'm sure he'll be thrilled to learn that a handful of your members have ceased suggesting he end his life in plain view.
[/quote]
Please point out who and where.

rsox, please. You know how this works. I wish we could just put everything on the table in one place. It's far too hard to answer openly without blurring some lines. I noticed a new [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=211&showentry=3394"]blog entry[/url] so maybe that will shine some more light. I think it is safe to say there are 2 competing approaches in play in how reactions to this contest are shared. One is legitimate and the other is not.

[quote name='Quinoa Rex' timestamp='1331484602' post='2936844']
Please point out who and where.
[/quote]

This is but one suggesting I kill myself and take Roq with me, either killing him or he following suit and killing himself.

[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/23u30qx.png[/img]

I don't have access to your boards, but I've also seen multiple banners created for players you deem to not like wishing they'd kill themselves in even less flattering terms.

Given this behavior is more or less standard, prevelant and/or completely acceptable to you, I don't have any problems suggesting that the suggestion has been made.

There are plenty of others. Would you care to deny that there are others as well?

Edited by IYIyTh

[quote name='Avakael' timestamp='1331470239' post='2936778']

[/quote]

Thank you for opting-out on a event that you are not forced to participate in. Armed guards will arrive momentarily to force you to do it anyway, if any other optional things are there to be done you will be the first to be contacted so you can again complain about absolutely nothing.