Announcement & Discussion

Uberstein

After the issue of mass expansion, also known as "land whoring," was brought to the GM's, we have discussed and decided on a course of action.

The following rule will be coming into affect immediately:

1. Land expansion requires one topic per RL country or Province, whichever is most applicable.
  2. This topic must have a minimum of 7 posts in two weeks. This is effectively a post every 2 days, which should be reasonable given a large land expansion.
  3. Until that time period is up, the land is considered contestable should any other nation put forth forces to contest it In Character.

Of course, as mentioned in the rules thread, rules are adjustable/created by the community. So, if you fine fellows don't like this rule, feel free to discuss alternatives amongst yourselves and propose a new rule to be voted for against this one. If everyone likes this rule, then fantastic, problem solved.

I'll likely bow out of the discussion until page two or three.

So what exactly does this mean for my expansion which brought this to the table in the first place? As I explained I am getting round to fleshing it out, as I am doing in Turkey as illustrated in the other thread.

Long as you fill the quota, then your land expansion is legit.

Anyway, I've been up since 6pm yesterday and it's nearly noon today. So I'm going to take a tiny nap and then go eat lunch.

Long as you fill the quota, then your land expansion is legit.

Anyway, I've been up since 6pm yesterday and it's nearly noon today. So I'm going to take a tiny nap and then go eat lunch.

Fill my quota? Uber just explain to me, in simple english what this means for my case in paticular? Does it, or does it not go on the map at the moment? I am aware I need to RP more development, but I'm not rushing anything for anybody. When im done with Turkey, ill get round to RPing my latest expansion.

I've been RPing over time an expansion Westward that I keep in the same topic as all of my news. Does this mean that continuing that expansion (I'm like 1/3-1/2 of the way through it) will need another thread? Does this mean that future expansions will have to take place outside of my thread? I mainly just dislike cluttering the forums and having to keep track of stuff.

I've been RPing over time an expansion Westward that I keep in the same topic as all of my news. Does this mean that continuing that expansion (I'm like 1/3-1/2 of the way through it) will need another thread? Does this mean that future expansions will have to take place outside of my thread? I mainly just dislike cluttering the forums and having to keep track of stuff.

That's fine. 

I'm now laughing after looking at the map thread. Going to be some butthurt folks once they realize they can't just roar in at full speed to gobble up more map space. 

Also what Hereno said, a new thread for each expansion is unwieldy, it just makes more sense to link the specific post in the map thread =/

Except its not a specific post. It is posts over a period of two weeks. For you that means 7 posts per country you plan to acquire. Not per expansion. 

Likewise the same goes for the fellows in North America. That's going to be 7 posts per state. If you gobble up 3 states at once, that's 7 posts per state, for 21 posts over 2 weeks. 

In separate threads. 

And be aware, nothing is going to be labeled on the map during that two weeks, meaning... no rp.. no map labels.

Which ought to be fun as it makes it easier to contest these "claims". 

and yes, I know this is a lot of effort.

But you'll survive. 

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

<Hereno> i feel like the whole point of this stringent system was to have us come up with a healthy middle
<Hereno> rather than obsessing over the details

In light of these thoughts, my suggestions for this are as follows:

1. Remove the need for a new thread, but require all posts to be linked in chronological order when posting new territories on the map thread. This is to allow us to not clutter the IC forum with every attempted land grab of every state, but ensures that Mogar won't be hunting through a 20 page thread for posts about a country he doesn't know very well. Either the posts are linked and in order for easy verification, or the Map Gods will forever ignore your prayers.

2. Allow posts to count for multiple claims, assuming that there is adequate RP for each area being included in each post. Four paragraphs spread out over 2 posts is not quantitatively or qualitatively different than having just stuck them all in one post. It also makes keeping track of things easier since you can just write it all out in one place. And because conquered areas tend to be near each other, it makes strategic sense to stick things together anyway.

3. Lower the requirements slightly from 7 posts in 14 days, to 5 posts in 10 days (per state/country). This allows for things to move a bit faster without de-clawing the system.

4. Allow no more than one post per day to count towards the total. What this prevents is me quickly writing up 5 posts in two hours detailing a total annexation, and then just waiting 10 days to annex everything, which defeats the point of the time period. This isn't meant as a strictly one-every-24-hours thing, but if you're posting like once every 10 hours about it you should probably have more than five posts total about it anyway all things considered.

I understand there is a problem at hand, but this is a little overcomplicated. I have never really horded land because usually when I roll somewhere I have what I want.

But here is what I remember it being before and I think is still a good way of doing things (this is just a reminder for those of you who don't remember. It was more of a suggestion, but I think now it should be made official).

1. I can claim/acquire any land I want provided that I do a semi-detailed RP of what I am claiming and why and I need to send troops or someone there to physically claim it.

2. My IC claim is what makes my claim official, not a post in the map thread.

3. For two weeks after my claim, anyone can start a new nation in the territory that I have claimed and start some type of civil war or negotiations there for them to be independent or whatever.

4. After two weeks, the land and people are 100% mine. 

5. My claims may NOT exceed my IG land stats. 

Edited by PresidentDavid

Except its not a specific post. It is posts over a period of two weeks. For you that means 7 posts per country you plan to acquire. Not per expansion. 

Likewise the same goes for the fellows in North America. That's going to be 7 posts per state. If you gobble up 3 states at once, that's 7 posts per state, for 21 posts over 2 weeks. 

In separate threads. 

And be aware, nothing is going to be labeled on the map during that two weeks, meaning... no rp.. no map labels.

Which ought to be fun as it makes it easier to contest these "claims". 

and yes, I know this is a lot of effort.

But you'll survive. 

Seperate threads is just forum spam, its just simpler to do it in ONE thread and link the relevent posts. So long as the RP is present, I dont see the damn problem. This is what I will be doing.