Never-before-heard Grämlins tell-all itt

Ertyy

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The major problem with this is that although they can choose who they like and want to defend, there is no "legitimate" way that those friends can help them.

Great way to put them in the position of forcing this policy on them as well since they'd have to "Moldavi" (for lack of a better term) their way into any defense of you.

I'm glad you guys are following your muse and all but you've done nothing but make the political realities more difficult for your "friends" through selfishness.

I don't get it.

Anyone has the right to defend their friends in times of war. Just like anyone can aid and trade with whoever they like.

We are not forcing anyone to go the same route as us. We are taking control of our alliance and FA the WE feel we should, not the way CN thinks we should.

There is no law stating that we MUST be treatied by a piece of paper to be able to defend our friends or vice versa.

I don't get it.

Anyone has the right to defend their friends in times of war. Just like anyone can aid and trade with whoever they like.

We are not forcing anyone to go the same route as us. We are taking control of our alliance and FA the WE feel we should, not the way CN thinks we should.

There is no law stating that we MUST be treatied by a piece of paper to be able to defend our friends or vice versa.

It doesn't matter what you say, people will still say that you must have the paper.

<3 Gremlins

The major problem with this is that although they can choose who they like and want to defend, there is no "legitimate" way that those friends can help them.

Uhh what?

Every sovereign has always and will always retain the right to intervene when they believe it is called for. Treaties limit options, not the othere way around.

Everyone has talked about this, but nobody has ever done it. Thanks for being the first Grämlins.

IRON, VE, FAN, probably others. It's been done before to varying degrees and with varying degrees of success. Not to denigrate Gremlins or anything, it is a bold move, even if they still retain the MHA treaty, and it is certainly rare, but it's not without precedent by any means.

Uhh what?

Every sovereign has always and will always retain the right to intervene when they believe it is called for. Treaties limit options, not the othere way around.

Which is true, but then they lose the "protection" that honoring a treaty comes with. It would be impossible to claim that you are defending an ally and limit the non-chaining clauses of treaties involved.

Of course any alliance can do whatever they want. The system of treaties is in place to ensure there isn't just a melee of random wars. If you want that, great! Let's just disband all alliances and have the entirety of our community here. After all, the claim in the OP is that pieces of paper don't mean anything, so your charter or their codex doesn't mean anything either.

The way I see this is that Graemlins has just surrendered its foreign policy sovereignty to MHA. MHA still maintains treaties, but Graemlins does not, so informal decisions by Graemlins are superseded by the treaties binding MHA and binding Graemlins to MHA.

So as of this moment:

Mushroom Kingdom

Argent

Umbrella

Fark

FOK

Of these few,

Umbrella is bound via MDP with MHA. Fark has a MDoAP with MHA. Argent, FOK, and Mushroom Kingdom no longer have any ties to Graemlins. The previous treaty cancellation with TOP is covered by an MDoAP with MHA.

So the way I see it, it's a stealth downgrading of Graemlins' ties to Mushroom Kingdom, Argent, and FOK.

This is interesting and I think lays out the true plans here. Regardless I wish Gramlins the best of luck in their new FA policy. We will see what happens tho...

Now if only everyone could follow your lead.
What's stopping you?
IRON, VE, FAN, probably others. It's been done before to varying degrees and with varying degrees of success. Not to denigrate Gremlins or anything, it is a bold move, even if they still retain the MHA treaty, and it is certainly rare, but it's not without precedent by any means.
No one's ever done it for our reason.

Hey, I meant to tell you, next time you see Ivan (months from now I'm sure), tell him I'm glad he implemented my idea, even if he did call it the "Moldavi" Doctrine.

Everyone has talked about this, but nobody has ever done it. Thanks for being the first Grämlins.

I think you forgot FAN, and OcUK, who both only held a treaty with each other that was a defunct bloc, and was canceled before this.

However, I do like to see that people have followed their example.

No one's ever done it for our reason.

Hey, I meant to tell you, next time you see Ivan (months from now I'm sure), tell him I'm glad he implemented my idea, even if he did call it the "Moldavi" Doctrine.

Okay, so what is your reason?

And I'll be sure to get on that.

Now if only everyone could follow your lead.

Everyone could. Few would. Cult of Justitia already adheres to a policy against compulsive treaties and only very limited amounts of optional treaties. We're small but we're fine and I like it; it's comfortable. I can wiggle all every-which-way and we do what we want without caring if we're going to lose a friend/treaty.

Welcome to sovereignty, Gremlins, let me know how if you like it, too!

Edited by Schattenmann

Havn't bothered to check but I would assume with the steady decrease in nation listings within Gramlins I would say you guys havnt recruited much at all so you are still made up of nations of rather high NS value? So really you don't have all that much to worry about when it comes to aggression upon you and this gives you more say in when you fight and when you don't correct?

Good choice for The Gramlins, will be interesting to see what other alliances if any think they can thrive with a similiar FA choice.

Great way to put them in the position of forcing this policy on them as well since they'd have to "Moldavi" (for lack of a better term) their way into any defense of you.

I'm glad you guys are following your muse and all but you've done nothing but make the political realities more difficult for your "friends" through selfishness.

While many people will, undoubtedly, approve The Grämlins in this day and say they have a sovereign right to declare on whoever or in whoever's defense, what will be interesting to see is how it will play out in a real conflict.

The crowd clamors for less treaties but each opportunity to strike will be exploited; I can easily imagine a good number of alliances willing to attack the Grämlins should they enter on someone's side (save for MHA) during a global war.

The only difference is that, with their firepower, they might scare off a couple vultures, just like FAN has. Good on them but the treatyless path has its hardships and you're absolutely right to point out that many alliances feel and will feel uneasy to help them should a major war occurs. With all the conflicting treaties already in place, ignoring a paperless friendship might be convenient to some.

Edited by Yevgeni Luchenkov

What an absolute load of rubbish.

Whilst it could be seen as noble or honourable you make this move. How many of your ex treaty partners do you expect to come to your aid in a time of war should you need it. Now they are no longer obligated to do so? Friendship is a rare thing to find on planet Bob and somehow I see this as only screwing yourself over.

Token answer to the haters in MHA that think i shouldn't post my views on the OWF, eat it.

While many people will, undoubtedly, approve The Grämlins in this day and say they have a sovereign right to declare on whoever or in whoever's defense, what will be interesting to see is how it will play out in a real conflict.

The crowd clamors for less treaties but each opportunity to strike will be exploited; I can easily imagine a good number of alliances willing to attack the Grämlins should they enter on someone's side (save for MHA) during a global war.

The only difference is that, with their firepower, they might scare off a couple vultures, just like FAN has. Good on them but the treatyless path has its hardships and you're absolutely right to point out that many alliances feel and will feel uneasy to help them should a major war occurs. With all the conflicting treaties already in place, ignoring a paperless friendship might be convenient to some.

Thank you for seeing at least most of my point.

The concern I have is not for Gramlins, they are BIG boys and girls and made their own decision. The concern I have with this edict is the pressure it puts on their friends that will be put in an indefensible situation should they support a move made by the Gramlins. If they indeed declare on someone who is attacking Gramlins they will be engaging in an offensive war as they have no treaty obligating them. This will make it hard for them to rally support from anyone other than their ODP partners unless everyone is just supposed to do what they want, in which case, as I said before, tear up your charters people.

Now I don't claim to be an expert on the Gramlins, but from what I've gathered, they put great stock in their codex. But apparently, they expect everyone else to ignore the official ties that bind us.

I'm no fan of the treaty web and it's conflicts, but treaties themselves provide a framework for the political engagement that makes this world go 'round. If we scrap treaties all together we get an even more confusing and stagnant situation than we have now since every time there's a war people will just gangbang the unfortunate soul who gets declared on first.

The concern I have is not for Gramlins, they are BIG boys and girls and made their own decision. The concern I have with this edict is the pressure it puts on their friends that will be put in an indefensible situation should they support a move made by the Gramlins. If they indeed declare on someone who is attacking Gramlins they will be engaging in an offensive war as they have no treaty obligating them.

:facepalm:

No, no, again no. An aggressive war is an aggressive war, a defensive war is a defensive war, it has to do with who commits the first act of war, it has nothing to do with who is treatied to whom.

The concern I have is not for Gramlins, they are BIG boys and girls and made their own decision. The concern I have with this edict is the pressure it puts on their friends that will be put in an indefensible situation should they support a move made by the Gramlins. If they indeed declare on someone who is attacking Gramlins they will be engaging in an offensive war as they have no treaty obligating them. This will make it hard for them to rally support from anyone other than their ODP partners unless everyone is just supposed to do what they want, in which case, as I said before, tear up your charters people.

Now I don't claim to be an expert on the Gramlins, but from what I've gathered, they put great stock in their codex. But apparently, they expect everyone else to ignore the official ties that bind us.

I'm no fan of the treaty web and it's conflicts, but treaties themselves provide a framework for the political engagement that makes this world go 'round. If we scrap treaties all together we get an even more confusing and stagnant situation than we have now since every time there's a war people will just gangbang the unfortunate soul who gets declared on first.

If someone attacks us then we are on the defensive, thus anyone that comes to our aid is defending us.

You will not be able to e-lawyer this as e-lawyering is bogus and has no right in CN.