An Asian and Oceania Summit-Conference - Bangkok

Acca Dacca

After Queen Ava Jones completed her speech, KP Varma stood up and spoke," Your Excellency, I think I would not be too mistaken to say that we all are thankful to you for hosting such a meeting. You have succeeded in bringing nations with a lot of less than cordial history to one room to discuss this issue. Please do not be disheartened if miracles does not occur, true miracles require true crises to overcome.

I have been a diplomat for most of my adult life and I have seen my fair share of wars and peace. It is my belief that only during times of great adversities do great alliances spring up. Conflict is the crucible during which strengths of alliances are measured. Treaties signed during peace time regularly prove to be of less worth than paper during a time of tension. However trust and understanding developed during a time of trouble would indeed last the erosions time. We should all be glad that a framework for such a possible alliance has now been created here. A true Asia-Pacific unity may take a longer time to achieve but its first successful steps have been taken here.

Many eminent personalities like the former Emperor of Etania have strongly expressed their angst and disappointment at the lack of commitment expressed by other nations. Such a conference cannot be a real platform for unity unless the participating nations have inter linked relations. Those nations who are dissatisfied at the lack of commitment must try to diplomatically engage other nations so that issues of contention may be settled. Undiplomatic acts and insults on a world stage would never contribute to peace and stability. These meetings must not become venues where insults and barbs are to be traded.

With regard to the aspect of Mutual Defense which has brought such great contention amongst us, we feel we must make our opinions expressed. There is no reason for us to defend another nation other than our own interest in their safety and well being. The Kingdom of Cochin has strong interest in the safety, sovereignty and stability of the People's Republic of China, Marscurian Pakistan, Dragonisia and the Kingdom of Serca. These interests are borne out of very specific strategic, cultural and economic reasons. They are also sometimes governed by our history of great friendship. How can we sanely commit our forces to defend nations with which we have no interests? We would not commit our strength to defend nations with whom we have barely cordial relations. Any doctrine or pact attempting to compel us to do so would be severely infringing on our sovereignty. If those nations want the strength of the Kingdom to defend them, they need to diplomatically engage us. If we need other nations to defend us we too would ask for it.

Arrogantly demanding that their fellow nations should defend them whenever they get into trouble is not acceptable.

In the interest of Asia-Pacific peace and stability this is our final statement. Diplomacy. Greater international cooperation.

Once again I thank Queen Ava Jones of Acca Dacca for hosting this conference and to the fellow nations for hearing me out. I now bid adieu."

Saying thus KP Varma closed his files and made his way to the Airport. A Foreign Ministry diplomat from the Kingdom of Cochin would still remain to take notes, but she would not be authorized to make any plenipotentiary statements on the Kingdom's behalf.

Edited by king of cochin

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shimon sighed. "We all bickered over the Mutual Defense clause, came here seeking unity, for what? Seems to a limited extent, not much. Though, I will say that this is a good framework, and a platform for more advancements in the future. Rebel Army will lead by example, in the hopes of furthering Asian peace and unity, and sign this treaty as a full signatory."

Signed for Rebel Army,

Lavo Shalam, Prime Minister

Mohammed Hazzan, Minister of Foreign Affairs

"By motion of the National Assembly of the Democratic Republic of the Pacific, we fully ratify the document."

Add:

Consensus and agreement by the administration of the Pacifican State, as confirmed by,
[img=http://i32.nonpermited image host.com/2me682c.png]
[i]Ray Matveyev[/i], President of the Democratic Republic of the Pacific
[i]Viktor Ishayev[/i], Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Democratic Republic of the Pacific

Ratification by the National Assembly of the Pacifican Democratic Republic, as confirmed by the Moderation Committee of the National Assembly,
[i]Roman Delemonsky[/i], Secretary of the National Assembly, Moderator of the National Assembly
[i]Jin Hasegawa[/i], Moderator of the National Assembly
[i]Vladimir Sybily[/i], Moderator of the National Assembly
[i]Anatoly Lanacharsky[/i], Moderator of the National Assembly

Haruhi stood up, and prepared to take her leave, but had some business to take care of first. She walked over to Ava and said silently to her the following:

"Miss Ava Jones, i'd like to thank you for your hospitality, and I ensure that we will meet in the future. This day and the days as of late have taught me some important lessons in hammering out my personality and being more mature, it was worth it."

Before she left, she prepared to say one final thing to the room filled with dignitaries and leaders.

"I bed you all ado, and wish you luck, joy, and prosperity in the years and months to come. In the future, maybe Asiatic unity will be even farther than it is now. We can only hope."

She then departed back to Nishinomiya on her government charter plane.

Delegate to the conference from the Pacifican Republic, Anton Mikhail, Pacifican Foreign Minister, comments on the recent departures: "The departures here are disgusting to say the least. You take you time as delegates to this convention to hammer out a treaty you think finally will work - and because not enough people feel that they are able to commit themselves militarily - you simply walk out and deem it a failure? I'm sorry, but that shows a complete lack of dedication or even proper diplomacy on your nations' parts.

If you guys were truly committed to continental unity, you wouldn't care about the defense clauses. However, those that have walked out have made it perfectly clear that's not at all what they want. Make an example, then, and agree to the military clauses. If you thought they were unjust, irresponsible, or impractical, it's a little late to be objecting to it now."

Edited by Ray Matveyev

Konrad stood and began, "Ladies and gentlemen, firstly, may I state that I appreciate the time invested by all, and that I am pleasantly surprised we've been able to come to a final treaty. Unfortunately, due to the recent tumultuous events that have been our revolution, and the fact that our government is still being established as we speak, we cannot feasibly mount a defense for other countries, despite our wishes or intentions. We will however sign all the other articles of this treaty."

For The United Sovereign Entities of Tanelorn

Konrad Rawicz - Grand Vizier and Emissary of the state.

Edited by Thomas Grimshaw

Delegate to the conference from the Pacifican Republic, Anton Mikhail, Pacifican Foreign Minister, comments on the recent departures: "The departures here are disgusting to say the least. You take you time as delegates to this convention to hammer out a treaty you think finally will work - and because not enough people feel that they are able to commit themselves militarily - you simply walk out and deem it a failure? I'm sorry, but that shows a complete lack of dedication or even proper diplomacy on your nations' parts.

If you guys were truly committed to continental unity, you wouldn't care about the defense clauses. However, those that have walked out have made it perfectly clear that's not at all what they want. Make an example, then, and agree to the military clauses. If you thought they were unjust, irresponsible, or impractical, it's a little late to be objecting to it now."

OOC: Actually, most of the people walking out now have signed already.

Minilla Island's Foreign Minister, Peter Gualtieri, gets off his cell phone. And, after being mostly silent for this entire conference, he makes an announcemen:

"By order of our Prime Minister, with advice and consent from the Halkevi and His Royal Highness, Minilla Island will sign the document cementing our relationship."

• 10 months later...

[b]Private to the governments of:
Greater Pacifica
Rebel Army
Australia
Zargathia
Vauleyo-Buryatia
Cochin[/b]

No doubt you have heard Korea's [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=95308&view=findpost&p=2533762"]expression of intent[/url] to sign the Treaty of Bangkok. This treaty contains no specific clauses for how membership shall be determined, nor how new members shall be admitted.

Selenarctos politely request your thoughts on this, the lifecycle of the treaty, and the possible admission of Korea as a signatory to the treaty.

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1291833078' post='2534026']
The local authorities in Bangkok upon seeing the first sign of activity in months would knock on the door to the headquarters building. Apparently some serious back rent was due...

OOC: So this is actually still around? :awesome:
[/quote]

OOC: Dunno. Only about half the signatories still exist and I'd forgotten it was in my factbook, much less that I'd signed it >_>

Edited by iKrolm

OOC: Totally forgot this existed.

IC: Korea has been a rather stable and peaceful nation until recent past, however the recent diplomatic spats with Zargathia and Rebel Army we consider to be in bad taste. We do have a Non Aggression Pact with Korea hence we are not averse to extending the membership of Bangkok Pact to Korea.

"Zargathia too feels that adding Korea to the list of signatories has a positive effect on the stability in Asia, and therefore vote 'Aye'. As for acceptance requirements of new members, we would like to suggest a majority of member votes to be sufficient. Given that this is not a critical issue, we feel a voting period of one week before auto-abstention would give the voting nations enough time to decide on the matter while not unnecessarily drawing out the application process."

*SIC to all current members*

"We cannot, in good conscience, for the admittance of Korea at this time, owing to the current diplomatic debacle which could have easily been avoided had diplomacy been attempted. We find that the lack of diplomacy that Korea shown in the recent spat is a violation of the spirit of this treaty, if not it's words. As such, Rebel Army must vote no. We would also like to second the Zargathian delegation's voting period suggestion."

[i]"As we have seen quite a bit, the manner in which the government of Korea manages its diplomatic affairs, particularly with regard to Zargathia, we would have to express our sincere concern about Korea entering into the Treaty of Bangkok. While I acknowledge that we have lagged in our efforts to step up diplomatic contact with some of the other signatories, I must state that we feel that it would not be productive to admit Korea into the treaty at this point in time, perhaps in the future. Therefore our vote is a solid 'No'."[/i]

There is only one signatory on the Mutual Defense Pact level, so in the opinion of Selenarctos this the Treaty of Bangkok has become a non-aggression and economic pact. If Korea would truly like to work towards Asian peace, then there is no reason they should not become a signatory.

But to consider allowing the admittance of Korea, we were forced to ask ourselves where are Korea's efforts towards a more stable and peaceful Asia? Korea has aggravated the majority of current signatories in it's short existence. This by itself would not necessarily preclude the admission of Korea, if Korea truly wished to change it's ways. As evidence of such a will, however, surely actions since a request of admission would promote Asian peace?

Yet they have not been. Tensions continue to run high between Rebel Army and Korea due to issues regarding the ownership of a number of artifacts, many of which have been missing from the Korean homeland for many times longer than the current incarnation of a native-Korean government has existed. Even more recently, almost immediately after expressing the desire to become a signatory, Korea launched missiles into the sovereign territory of another signatory without permission nor provocation. The signatory has since fallen into anarchy, however the point remains: Korea is not committed to the ideals of this treaty, and as long as they remain so Selenarctos must vote 'Nay' to their admission.

Votes For: 2

Votes Against: 3

Votes Remaining: 0

At this time, the motion for Korea's admittance to the Treaty of Bangkok is rejected.

Edited by iKrolm