An Asian and Oceania Summit-Conference - Bangkok

Acca Dacca

Anthony considered the current objections, then withdrew a pad of paper from his shirt pocket, the same he'd used to pass the note to Hannah.

He began writing out her proposed treaty, with a few modifications especially noted.

The Treaty of Bangkok

Article I: Preamble

In the interest of unifying the Asian and Oceanic continents through friendship, but not to create a hegemonic bloc that will extend its control to any other continents, Asian and Oceanic representatives have come together to create a suitable working treaty to provide mutual friendship to each other, respect for their neighbor's sovereignty, mutual defense and respect in economic trade.

Article II: Sovereignty

Sovereignty is defined as a nations supreme power over all their affairs, i.e. their military, their economy, and their people, and no nation will be permitted to interfere with said right of any signatory.

Article III: Non Aggression

As we are coming together as two continents in friendship, the idea of being able to attack our neighbors goes against all principles of this treaty and therefore, all Asian and Oceanic nations that sign this treaty swear that they will not commit any acts of outward aggression toward their neighbors as open territorial expansion through military might, nor covert aggression in the case of espionage and puppeteering as was done with the Dragon Empire. We are a family, we should learn to act like one.

Article IV: Mutual Defense

Coming together in friendship also means the ability to defend your friend. As two continents united in friendship, any act of aggression on members of this pact by either an Asian or Oceanic power or a completely foreign power will result in all possible retaliation from this alliance. However, as this is a treaty of unity for Asia and Oceania, non-continuous territories (Ecuador, as an example), will not be under the aegis of required defense. Does this mean that Asian and Oceanic countries cannot aid the Rebel Army in Ecuador? No, it just means it is not covered in this treaty. Only continuous territory in Asia and Oceania apply. Island possessions that can be directly accessed via sea routes that do not violate another nation's maritime possessions are considered continuous for purposes of this treaty.

Article V: Trade Rights

As a family, we should desire to help each other out economically as well. We have the benefit of having some of the strongest powers in the world on these continents as well as hopeful advancing nations and in light of that, should want to create a fair playing field for all economic growth. This being said, a reduction of tariffs should take place to lessen the burden of inter-Asian/Oceanic trade, strengthening our economic and political ties with one another and bringing the continents closer together through trading of resources. In addition making competition stronger and in our favor between our continents and the other continents of the world.

Article VI: Expulsion and Exiting

Family takes time and may not always be agreed by all parties. As such, all countries have the ability and the right to leave this treaty after a seventy two hour notice(RL), to all members of this treaty. As to Expulsion, any nation that breaks one of the previous article will be expelled indefinitely after notice and evidence of article breaking, and with the approval of at least 2/3 of all signatory nations.

Article VII: Amendment to the Charter

Amendments to this document must be approved unanimously by all current members.

Article VIII: Voting

For purposes of streamlining decisions and preventing unnecessary delay, abstentions are not counted as part of the total in any vote. Any nation that fails to cast their vote on a critical issue (expulsion or charter amendment) within 72 (OOC/RL/OOC) hours is considered to have abstained from said vote.

"I realize this treaty may not answer everyone's objections, and I have added two proposed articles of my own. However, I would still like to know what everyone thinks.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"On behalf of USET I will make it known that we do not approve of article seven in this new proposition. It has already been shown that there are several representatives here whom only wish to further themselves and not the region as a whole. It would be acceptable to us if all amendments were decided upon by a two thirds vote of the current membership."

"I have a question," James said. "Caucasia holds both European and Asian lands. Do our European territories fall under the defense doctrine or not?"

"Any land directly continuous with your Asian holdings should apply."

"On behalf of USET I will make it known that we do not approve of article seven in this new proposition. It has already been shown that there are several representatives here whom only wish to further themselves and not the region as a whole. It would be acceptable to us if all amendments were decided upon by a two thirds vote of the current membership."

Anthony almost facepalmed.

"Two-thirds actually lowers the rquirements for amending the charter. Unanimous requires that there be not a single opposing vote."

"Sir, I believe you misinterpreted my statement. A Unanimous decision requires that there be no opposition to the amendment, which, is inevitable as the intentions of certain parties privy to this conference has been shown. Either you are one of these parties, or you should retake basic linguistics and mathematics. We wish that for an amendment to be passed it requires only the approval of two-thirds of the current membership so that a dictatorship of the minority is not possible, because quite frankly, we would be unwilling to sign a document that has one member able to hold the figurative gun to the head of every other signatory. Do you understand now?"

"Your statement was open to misinterpretation. I apologize for misinterpreting it, but I ask that you refrain from insults, and word your own statements more carefully in the future to prevent misunderstandings. All that was needed was a further clarification of your statement. Now, other than that detail, do you have any other objections?"

Amendment should require unanimous support; it takes all the signatories to create the treaty, it should take all of them to change it. There is no figureative gun, as only changes to the structure of the bloc could be veto'd by a signatory.

Edited by iamthey

"Any land directly continuous with your Asian holdings should apply."

"There is a very small bit of water, the Strait of Kerch, only 4.5 kilometers across, separating Crimea from the rest of Caucasia, and the strait and Sea of Azov are very shallow. Will this small bit of water prevent an integral part of Caucasia from being protected?"

"Other then that article, I have no objections to the draft proposed."

"Thank you."

Amendment should require unanimous support; it takes all the signatories to create the treaty, it should take all of them to change it. There is no figureative gun, as only changes to the structure of the bloc could be veto'd by a signatory.

Now that was a logical argument that hadn't occured to him, and he gave a brief nod of approval to the Pacifican delegate.

"There is a very small bit of water, the Strait of Kerch, only 4.5 kilometers across, separating Crimea from the rest of Caucasia, and the strait and Sea of Azov are very shallow. Will this small bit of water prevent an integral part of Caucasia from being protected?"

That set him back. "I don't see why it should, but any phraseology specifying that would be tricky, to say the least."

"We agree with this position."-Lady Sharova

Haruhi read the message and grasped herself with an emotion that could only be described as a mixture of terror and absolute rage. She knew she would have to speak up, and say something about this to the conference. The Vauleo-Buryatians were contradicting themselves by attending a peace conference and then randomly delivering a war with absolutely no declaration. She stood up and relaxed her muscles, and then sat back down after the tension had passed.

Edited by Elrich von Richt

The representative from Selenarctos could have facepalmed if not for the undiplomatic nature of such a gesture. Vauleyo-Buryatia and The Eternal Empire were just about to sign an MDP and now they're at war? Surely, if nothing else, this showed a unified Asia is nothing but wishful thinking.

Aloud,

"While we wish The Eternal Empire luck, should the war not go as well, both you and Takeo are welcome to take refuge in Selenarctos."

"What's this I hear about a retcon?" The representative from Selenarctos muttered to himself as he unsaid the invitation to Haruhi and Takeo.

Edited by iKrolm

Lady Sharova appeared mildly surprised for a minute as she watched a small fly land on the table just in front of her. With a rapid movement of her hand, she used the pen she held and impaled the small insect before it knew what hit it. It happened so quickly that most of the other delegates didn't notice a thing.

Edited by Imperator Azenquor

Unified Asia? I'm surprised there hasn't been an assassination attempt on this conference already. Since my arrival, we've debated on semantics whilst a war has broken out and one of us has allotted land to a European for a naval military instillation? What a joke. Konrad contemplated silently.

He decided it would be best to notify the hierarchy. He removed his PDA from his briefcase and typed up a summary of the events that had taken place, along with the violent developments. The message was encrypted but was also using a simple replacement cipher as well as a code based on literature.

Konrad then decided it'd be best to remain publicly neutral in the conflict, and thus remained silent

Edited by Thomas Grimshaw

Edit: Hannah leaned back and sighed and turned to Anthony. "Good lord, don't you think they'd shut up for one minute and listen to reason...for the love of God." She held her head in her hands and closed her eyes. "I should have brought a flask..."

OOC: YO GUYS, WAR'S RETCONNED AND I KNOW NONE OF YOU WOULD HAVE LEFT SO SIT BACK DOWN NAO!

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

Anthony looked almost disappointed as he stood to follow. He said nothing as he and Hannah walked out the door.

"Sarah was right. Asians can only have unity if they're under the rule of a Dragon Emperor."

"The Dragon Empire had its flaws, but they were a stabilizing force, if nothing else."

Sighing, he glanced back once. Shaking his head, he commented. "With the recent agreement with Slavorussia, I thought Valeo-Buryatia was above petty squabbles by now."

Edit: Hannah leaned back and sighed and turned to Anthony. "Good lord, don't you think they'd shut up for one minute and listen to reason...for the love of God." She held her head in her hands and closed her eyes. "I should have brought a flask..."

OOC: Well, nuts, and it was a perfectly good post too. :ehm:

IC: "Such is politics," he muttered back. "Has its uses, but can be a royal pain when someone's being stubborn."

Edited by Subtleknifewielder