An Asian and Oceania Summit-Conference - Bangkok

Acca Dacca

"As mentioned by several of the nations represented here, Zargathia too will not be agreeing to an elimination or equalization of tariffs. As mentioned earlier, our taxation system places a higher reliance on trade tariffs: As such, any equalization attempt would require us to overhaul our entire taxation system, and elimination would severely hurt our income. We will agree to the same level of reduction as was described in the Asian Union and former AUP charters however, that is to say, halved at most."

Edited by Amyante

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone from the AUP or AU give us thier article considering Economic tariffs and the like? On another note, to move things along abit further, what we would like to see are nations of Asia and Oceania working together with neighboring nations and creating a mutual friendship between the two. For this reason, I believe that working with one another, together, could make this treaty a more unified pact. With this, we'd like to submit the following Article:

Article IV: Cooperation

IV-I. The signatories of this pact pledge to cooperate and help each other during peace-time where possible. This shall include but is not limited to technical information, mutually beneficial trading, organizational assistance and diplomatic support.

IV-II. Either signatory may request monetary aid from the other signatory at any time. Neither signatory is obligated to grant such a request, however it is encouraged to unless it is either unable to grant it, or it feels that fulfilling the request would defy the spirit of the treaty.

We have already worked together on military bases, joint protectorates, and individual projects. I've helped establish a base for the Kingdom of Cochin to help in thier exploration of space. Many of our nations have worked together on the Asia-International Railroad project. I believe several nations have worked on the city of Singapore together.

I'd like to see more of that, and would ask that this treaty encourage such activity.

The AU allows nations to join one of two levels: the AEZ for reduced tariffs with other AEZ & AFTZ nations or the AFTZ for free trade with other AFTZ nations and reduced tariffs with AEZ nations.

Article 6: Economic Co-operation

All members of the Asian Union shall be a part of either the Asian Economic Zone (AEZ) or the Asian Free Trade Zone (AFTZ) unless they are granted an exemption. An exemption may only be granted with the approval of the majority of the members of the Asian Union.

Whenever a member nation is able to provide goods and services of appropriate quality and quantity at a reasonable price, other member nations are encouraged, but by no means required, to purchase those goods within the Asian Union.

1:Asian Economic Zone (AEZ)

Members of the Asian Union who choose to join the Asian Economic Zone (AEZ) shall make a meaningful reduction of tariffs levied on goods from other AEZ member nations. Goods transported through the AEZ from one member to another must be of a particular mutually agreed upon standard.

2:Asian Free Trade Zone (AFTZ)

Members of the Asian Union who choose to join the Asian Free Trade Zone (AFTZ) shall eliminate all tariffs on goods and services from other AFTZ member nations. Goods transported through the AFTZ from one member nation to another must be of a mutually agreed upon standard.

Should a nation who is a member of the AFTZ transfer any goods or services to a nation who is only a member of the AEZ, then the transaction will be treated as an exchange of goods between two AEZ nations.

"Perhaps the Asian Union model would best suit our purposes as far as Economic concerns go. As far as trade goes, we are prepared to reciprocate trade benefits on an individual nation by nation basis. For example, should a nation agree not to tax Vauleo-Buryatian imports then we shall return the favor. The same holds true for tariff reductions. We will however maintain our strict Import Quota system."

"It seems I reacted a bit too soon, I hope my esteemed camaraderie present here will forgive me this time. If I understand the AEZ correctly, the 'mutually agreed upon standard' calls for reciprocation between all those involved, if this is a correct interpretation of said article, then as a representative of USET, I am to state that we would not be opposed to it."

Takeo passed along a print-out of the conversation, basic notes he had taken, to Gaunter, that detailed the articles agreed upon thus far, as well as a few proposed ideas that the conference had done.

He took another gulp of his orange soda, finishing it, before standing up. "I find myself in agreement Lady Sharova. I, like her, believe that the AU-modeled Economic clause would work perfectly for this treaty. Can we all agree on that?"

When he sat down, he unzipped his pants. Underneath his pair of pants, was another pair of pants, and underneath that, were his underwear. With the first pair of pants unzipped, he reached down into the first pair, and withdrew from it another orange soda. He zipped his pants back up, opened it, and began drinking it.

"Rebel Army sports a free-trade system, so we already have few, if any, tariffs on other countries. Bar the standard sorts of duties and such. We would agree to an economic agreement, with the sole point that we will not lower fees to use the Suez Canal, Gibraltar Straits and/or Bosporus Straits. These fees apply to all nations, even our allies. The exception to this are allies who are at war, and need to move military vessels, equipment, etc. to the front ASAP."

"We will examine how the proposed economic portions of this agreement would impact upon our economic binding agreements with other members of the Asian Union pact before we take an official position on the article in question"-Lady Sharova

Well, what part of the article wouldnt impact you? So that we may at least agree to part of the proposal.

Well, what part of the article wouldnt impact you? So that we may at least agree to part of the proposal.

"We are simply announcing our intention to first determine the impact that the Article would have regarding our existing economic agreements with other nations. As well as examining how the Article could be adopted by our government in such a way that it does not override existing Vauleyo-Buryatian import regulations. While we support the spirit of the article in question, we would be unable to definitively support it until this impact assessment has been done."-Lady Sharova

"As a signatory of the Asian Union, we can safely say we expect the impact on our own national economy to be negligible, especially considering we offered the same AEZ-level tariff reductions to fellow AUP signatories. Given that Vauleo-Buryatia is a signatory as well we do not expect any severe changes to be made in the trade regulations between our nations."

We have no issue with the rules of the AU as long as the AEZ remains in place. Our system of tariffs exists mainly as a protective measure for our own domestic industry as a opposed to a revenue generating source. We have no issue lowering tariffs for Oceanic/Asian nations as long as we do not have to eliminate them entirely. That will maintain market preference for domestic goods while giving greater preference to Asian/Oceanic goods (over goods produced internationally).

The Kingdom of Cochin believes in reciprocal trade practices, ie, the Kingdom of Cochin's trade policies towards a nation would exactly mirror the said nation's trade policies towards the Kingdom. If every nation has uniform trade policies, we shall conform accordingly, however if certain nations choose to maintain their own policies our policies regarding them would be reciprocated like wise.

The Kingdom of Cochin is not in favor of a common currency. The Kingdom of Cochin shall continue to use Cochin Rupees as our monetary standard.

Megan Fox inquired- "What about a common fund, a common currency among all Asian nations?"

With a clear look of absolute disgust on her face Lady Sharova responded simply:

"Absolutely not. It would have to be a cold day in hell before my country even considers a common currency, or a common fund."

Edited by Imperator Azenquor

Having finished with the call, Anthony returned to the conference room, asking briefly for a summary of what he missed.

He also passed a note off to Hannah, for her eyes only.

Call was from Minister of National Security. Assassination attempt on Commander Sherman. Commander is fine, but assassin escaped unidentified.

"I can understand a reluctance to actually agree on a common currency," he stated upon catching up. "But what about using an international one we can agree on, alongside whatever local currency you may use?"

Megan Fox inquired- "What about a common fund, a common currency among all Asian nations?"

"We do not wish for our economy to be damaged by unstable and underdeveloped nations. The Rebel Credit is a powerful currency on it's own, thank you."

"We do not wish for our economy to be damaged by unstable and underdeveloped nations. The Rebel Credit is a powerful currency on it's own, thank you."

What do you think of allowing for an international one alongside your own as Anythony had suggested?

What do you think of allowing for an international one alongside your own as Anythony had suggested?

"Well, which international one would we use? Creating a new one will likely not happen, as it was shot down earlier, and that leaves using a currency that is currently on the market. And of the currencies out there, the strongest currency in Asia and second strongest in the world is the Rebel Credit. As such, I cannot see how we can support an international one, though we are open to ideas."

"Well, which international one would we use? Creating a new one will likely not happen, as it was shot down earlier, and that leaves using a currency that is currently on the market. And of the currencies out there, the strongest currency in Asia and second strongest in the world is the Rebel Credit. As such, I cannot see how we can support an international one, though we are open to ideas."

OOC: Use the GDR's Mark.

Then everyone's happy. Especially me. :awesome:

*scurries away*

Edited by Lynneth