Game Update

Slayer99

Defcon Level Change  

703 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can someone explain me why everyone is so furious about the change?

In general, defcon doesn't even have a significant meaning other then "bluf".

"Hey, watch it, I'm at defcon 1!"

Defcon 5=1.. LOL, I never loose a battle at defcon 5..

This topic isn't even relevant. What's there to discuss?

I suggest defcon gets a real purpose.

you have obviously never fought a proper battle.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a country was bombed by terrorists they would go straight to defcon one / black special. This change makes CN less like real life...

But then CN doesn't have to be like real life. Larger nations can sit somewhere mid range without too much of a hit on income

Time will tell how effective this is. Two levels change at a time might be interesting.

I don't like this at all. This will tip everyone off as to a war coming...furthermore, coordinating this at an alliance level (when people don't log on everyday), isn't fair to the people that collect once or twice a week and are then expected to fight with the rest of the alliance at a lower defcon level.

Was that quote you pulled in the OP from the Game Update Log, Slayer99? I ask because it's not there atm.

I rest my case.

185,871 Attacking + 10,220 Defending = 196,091 Casualties.

You have obviously never been in an even conflict where your enemy is prepared to fight just like you are. Preying on rogues and tech raiding is easy to do in Defcon 5. Fighting an alliance war against 4 or 6 nations at a time is a whole different story. Please learn something before coming back to post here again.

I rest my case.

EDIT: your nation is obviously a remake nation now that I look closer, so I have no historical facts to draw from. But going from the information I currently have...

Also, how the hell did your nation get 6000 miles of land, 1500 tech, 5000 infra, and 200,000 casualties in 24 days?

Edited by Willaim Kreiger

You have obviously never been in an even conflict where your enemy is prepared to fight just like you are. Preying on rogues and tech raiding is easy to do in Defcon 5. Fighting an alliance war against 4 or 6 nations at a time is a whole different story. Please learn something before coming back to post here again.

I rest my case.

EDIT: your nation is obviously a remake nation now that I look closer, so I have no historical facts to draw from. But going from the information I currently have...

Also, how the hell did your nation get 6000 miles of land, 1500 tech, 5000 infra, and 200,000 casualties in 24 days?

How about diskord? He has 1.3 million attacking and 940,000 defending casualties and he proposed this change. See his defense of it here: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=7670

I rest my case.

Casualties mean nothing man.

I've been in quite a few "real fights", I even restarted twice, so I know something about the warsystem.

I've been tripled several times, so once again, I know stuff.

all I was pointing out was that defcon isn't such a big deal. It mainly indicates your getting ready for the threat coming. It's not hard switching from defcon 5 to 1..

It requires no strategy, hence why I said it's irrelevant in a war.

So I may rest my case.

How about diskord? He has 1.3 million attacking and 940,000 defending casualties and he proposed this change. See his defense of it here: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=7670

He doesn't defend it there, he proposes a compromise, which I agree with more than the change, but still would rather see nothing happen at all then see any change.

Casualties mean nothing man.

I've been in quite a few "real fights", I even restarted twice, so I know something about the warsystem.

I've been tripled several times, so once again, I know stuff.

all I was pointing out was that defcon isn't such a big deal. It mainly indicates your getting ready for the threat coming. It's not hard switching from defcon 5 to 1..

It requires no strategy, hence why I said it's irrelevant in a war.

So I may rest my case.

As per my edit I recognized that you were a restarted nation after I posted. Casualties do mean something if it is your original nation and you only have a very small amount, it means you have little war experience and don't know what your talking about from first hand experience. As you have re-made your nation the argument doesn't apply to you per se. Defcon 1 and Defcon 5 require little strategy yes, but they do matter in war quite a bit.

I still wanna know how you go so much in 24 days :P

I agree with admin. Sure it will suck for me, but this is a more realistic change (I think)and it affects everyone so it's fair.

Also, I doubt any smart player uses the DEFCON levels 2-4 frequently.

However I would like to suggest that for a nation who is attacked, to be able to change their DEFOCN levels faster.

Edited by thedestro

I really dislike this change. Like mentioned before, it'll slow down alliances that are preparing for war and that spies option to change the Defcon back to 5 could really screw a nation up. Also, unexpected attacks from a rogue could really hurt a nation and having to wait a couple days for defcon 1 to come would probably be too late.

I really dislike this change. Like mentioned before, it'll slow down alliances that are preparing for war and that spies option to change the Defcon back to 5 could really screw a nation up. Also, unexpected attacks from a rogue could really hurt a nation and having to wait a couple days for defcon 1 to come would probably be too late.

Spais is a problem, true, but I don't see any other problem. This might shock you (aswell as many others), but staying in defcon 5 all the time might not be optimal. Maybe if you stayed in defcon 3 instead you would solve the problems you mentioned.

I hope this change is implimented. No one uses Defcon 2, 3, and 4. Why should they? There is no reason to even have them in the game at this point unless some system is in place.

How is it realistic to have your troops instantly at readiness? It takes days to go from Defcon 5 to Defcon 1. You have to recall troops and cancel leaves, you need to repair your equipment for an increased tempo of operations, and you have to deploy troops to staging areas to move onto the battlefield for max effectiveness (Please note nuclear weapons can do this, I am talking about conventional forces maximum readiness). You can't simply snap your fingers and make it happen like in CN.

Would this change war and warfighting strategy, sure. However it would add a little bit more realism and make Defcon 2, 3, and 4 something you might actually see. Blitzes and quad attacks would still take place. You just have to make sure funds are stored prior to the conflict as your ability to collect during a war has been reduced. This is a minor change that I hope will be adopted.

You've had how much RL military experience? I'd wager none. You people who support this change as realistic never heard of SAC or NORAD (just to use an example). In all branches of the service, equipment and weapons are kept in tip-top shape. And how long does it take to change DEFCON? One phone call.

Bad idea for gameplay for all the reasons previously stated.

I would add more, but I would probably get a warning so I'll stop now.

this idea ruins my life

also, it goes a little something like this, even if the spies are change to +/- defcon level, THAT DOESN'T HELP,

it makes defcon even more irrelevant because you will be always stuck at Dlvl 5,

you have 2 spy slots, you rasie an eemys Dlvl +2, then you can only change back -1, your breaking an already fixed system.

also, if spies arnt changed, it goes like this

(i use GPA cause they are independant and have no allies to spy change thier Dcon lvl)

NPO mass spies NpO into a lower defcon

NpO mass spies NPO into a lower defcon

NP/pO smash a D5 GPA who now have no chance

every update NP/pO fill each other spy slots so GPA cant try change NP/pO's defcon

everytime GPA gets near D1, along comes the mass spies, wham back to D5.

Edited by kaiden_666