Game Update

Slayer99

Defcon Level Change  

703 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Because most people are so used to always being at defcon1 in war that they don't understand that defcon5 really isn't that terrible?

I will take your advice on war because your alliance is one of the original conflict-based alliances. In fact, your alliance entered into a war against seemingly insurmountable enemies with almost no outside help and triumphed. Against all odds, your alliance prevailed.

Oh, wait... :mellow:

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go into an alliance war in Defcon 5 and then come talk. A guerrilla camp adds 35% before Defcon reductions.

It's a 24% penalty for being in defcon5. Guerrilla camp adds 35%. You do the math.

Plus, in most alliance wars the alliances should roughly be on the same level as far as what defcon they are at. Unless one prepares for war without the other thinking they are the targeting or noticing that they are preparing.

This is a horrible idea. And the backlash was inevitable, as it's taking away a freedom. And I know the game's fine tuners are against the whole cycling process of improvements and DEFCON etc. but really it adds a fun angle for alliances organized and dedicated enough to pull it off.

And DEFCON 2, 3 and 4 are useless. This change has got to go.

Sorry. I say it cuz I love you admin.

-4 happiness isn't much of a penalty?! Do you not remember what it's like when you're below 1k infra?! The economic penalties may not be much for larger nations, but for the smaller ones, it's awful. And as others have stated, Defcon does make a big difference. If you and another nation are of equal strength, the one in Defcon 1 will cause more damage than the one in Defcon 5. Attacking a Defcon 5 nation while in Defcon 1 makes it easy to anarchy them, thus giving a real element of surprise. If you surprise attack a Defcon 5 while in Defcon 5, the effects are relatively minimal.

It's a 24% penalty for being in defcon5. Guerrilla camp adds 35%. You do the math.

Plus, in most alliance wars the alliances should roughly be on the same level as far as what defcon they are at. Unless one prepares for war without the other thinking they are the targeting or noticing that they are preparing.

Okay fine. So you have 100% + 35% = 135%. Then at defcon 5, you are at 76% readiness. 135 * .76 = 102.6%. Thats a 32.4% difference.

Furthermore, until you have fought a war, you cannot comment on an alliance war and have your comment be taken seriously.

I will take your advice on war because your alliance is one of the original conflict-based alliances. In fact, your alliance entered into a war against seemingly insurmountable enemies with almost no outside help and triumphed. Against all odds, your alliance prevailed.

Oh, wait... :mellow:

I can do the math and I've fought in several wars myself. I'm not an expert but I understand the system enough to know that a 24% change in effectiveness won't make someone unable to fight. Their are many other factors that have at least as significant impact (such as improvements, which can triple your soldier effectiveness.)

I would have to say NO. For the love of all that is good!! Think of the children!! What about the children!! How can they play in the park? With national security taking 5 days to sound the alarm and go to Defcon 1 they will get blown off the swing by a CM or have a nuke dropped on them in the sand box and that would be bad!

I can do the math and I've fought in several wars myself. I'm not an expert but I understand the system enough to know that a 24% change in effectiveness won't make someone unable to fight. Their are many other factors that have at least as significant impact (such as improvements, which can triple your soldier effectiveness.)

You're funny. I immediately anarchy people in DEFCON 5 without even finishing a quad. (Even at full military, that's how bad DEFCON 5 is.)

To clarify: when you say "several wars" do you mean alliance scale wars, or little one with rogues? I'm not assuming either way, just wanted to clarify. Also, as someone above posted, the difference isn't 24%.

Fighting a few rogues is different than fighting a fully organized alliance. For one, rogues rarely coordinate with one another and for another, they never receive aid.

<snipped your incorrect math because Mercy covered that>

Shouldn't you have put an "I think that" before your statements that begin with "most alliance wars?" Or perhaps a "From observing warfare..."

Just an idea. I really enjoy that, as a generality, those that support this change are eiither the perennial losers or the peaceniks.

10 wars??? 10 wars??? Ten freaking wars?!?!?!?!?

I defer to your superior combat knowledge. The Orders would have done well to have you lead our militaries when we stood alone against the world.

Also, your academic knowledge of conflict does not impress me. Pick a different angle next time.

Isn't the original suggestion from someone who is famous for being good at war?

Anyway, I have fought 10 rogues, so I've seen how battle odds work and how different factors contribute to it. Defcon is just one of several.

Very good. I've fought 8 alliance wars, 2 great wars, 50+ nations, etc. OPA has fought in every single NPO conflict from GPW forward. Defcon is one of the biggest factors in battle odds. Diskord is not famous for war and neither is Seerow.

Anyway, I have fought 10 rogues, so I've seen how battle odds work and how different factors contribute to it. Defcon is just one of several.

May be a suggestion from someone who is good at war. Just because someone is good at war doesn't mean they make good suggestions. This is a horrible idea. It takes the element of surprise out of the game, which is a huge element of it. Then again, if you're on the receiving end, it takes your ability to respond out of it. By the time you notice it, you've been caught with your fly down.

Awful idea. Stop defending it.

Because most people are so used to always being at defcon1 in war that they don't understand that defcon5 really isn't that terrible?

You have 7,000 total casualties. Come talk when you have some experiance.

EDIT: lol I'm so late <_< meds

Edited by Willaim Kreiger

Defcon doesn't increase soldier effectiveness, but battle strength. Thus, if someone had their soldier efficiency boosted by 200%, one wouldn't fight at 176%, but at around 152%, whilst at Defcon 1, one would enjoy the full increase on the efficiency. That's quite a difference which can be decisive in an update blitz.

Edited by V The King

Seerow is good at many things. I'm not sure if "war" is on that list.

As has been said befroe, and as you evidently don't understand... Unorganized rogues < big, organized, committed alliances. There is no way that one could compare a "real" war to fighting a rogue. So you've fought rogues. Way to go. I admire that you've helped to promote stability in the Cyberverse. However, those of us that has fought wars on 6 fronts while lining up our next three targets realize that this change has the potential to devastate the fun portion of wars.

If a change was made that would destroy fleeing to peace mode, then I would respect your opinion. In matters of war, however, I cannot.