Statics from the Beginning.

Raider

I remember tech being useless and being berated for having a ton of it. My nation had 600 which was waaay too much considering I only have 5000 infra at the time. I think that was about February 2007. If only tech had been changed before that point I would have been a menace in GWIII.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as stated it was not the stats that made it any more epic, although in % terms its likely to be comparable, it was the scale of IC drama and RP posting. GWI was epic becuase it was unprecedented, but Karma war was pretty wow for drama and in two years time no doubt ppl will look back and realise how amazing that war was.

Oh, nostalgia.

I'm just proud that my nation now is just as bad as it was then.

I feel the same way, although my cursed economic team has gotten me to start buying tech. This is a new idea to me :P

Well as stated it was not the stats that made it any more epic, although in % terms its likely to be comparable, it was the scale of IC drama and RP posting. GWI was epic becuase it was unprecedented, but Karma war was pretty wow for drama and in two years time no doubt ppl will look back and realise how amazing that war was.

GWI was much more epic than Karma. Karma was unprecedented in its size, but most people forget that GWI was much more of a mental fight than an actual nation vs. nation fight. So much drama in back channels, such a huge 'good vs. evil' mentality, and so much of that war was fought in posts and by doing all we could to out think one another rather than just pulverize each other into the dirt. I still rank GWI as the number one war that we have ever had, and I don't think Karma comes close to that level.

GWI was much more epic than Karma. Karma was unprecedented in its size, but most people forget that GWI was much more of a mental fight than an actual nation vs. nation fight. So much drama in back channels, such a huge 'good vs. evil' mentality, and so much of that war was fought in posts and by doing all we could to out think one another rather than just pulverize each other into the dirt. I still rank GWI as the number one war that we have ever had, and I don't think Karma comes close to that level.

Well I agree on it being a favourite. Certainly my favourite too, an emotional roller coaster, ups and downs, gossip and intrigue as opposed to Karma which was just a depressing slog, and having to watch all those holier than thou types spout rubbish all day... But Karma changed everything the whole game looks different now, not better, but different. In time Karma will be remembered as a great epic as well.

Well I agree on it being a favourite. Certainly my favourite too, an emotional roller coaster, ups and downs, gossip and intrigue as opposed to Karma which was just a depressing slog, and having to watch all those holier than thou types spout rubbish all day... But Karma changed everything the whole game looks different now, not better, but different. In time Karma will be remembered as a great epic as well.

But not as great an epic struggle.

Nostalgia.

The idea that things were always better in the past.

In my opinion though, things always seemed better because we were new than; things appear as though they were more fun but I disagree.

This is the most fun I've ever had on Bob, right now; that's because I'm finally getting somewhat involved for the first time since those days. I recommend a small vacation, if you need to, remove yourselves from politics for a few months and just watch how things are shaping up.

There are a lot more things going on here than meets the eye fellas, this is evolving into pre-GW2 stuff, a-w-e-s-o-m-e.

I think one day we'll look at Karma as the first true great war, we may be able to live through another evolution of GW2/3, UJW again. :ehm:

Nostalgia.

The idea that things were always better in the past.

In my opinion though, things always seemed better because we were new than; things appear as though they were more fun but I disagree.

This is the most fun I've ever had on Bob, right now; that's because I'm finally getting somewhat involved for the first time since those days. I recommend a small vacation, if you need to, remove yourselves from politics for a few months and just watch how things are shaping up.

There are a lot more things going on here than meets the eye fellas, this is evolving into pre-GW2 stuff, a-w-e-s-o-m-e.

I think one day we'll look at Karma as the first true great war, we may be able to live through another evolution of GW2/3, UJW again. :ehm:

Yes, but to be honest, GWI was still more awesome than its two immediate successors. While they were game changing, it wasnt nearly to the degree that it things had been changed during GWI.

Before the First Great War, the NPO was unstoppable, badass, and generally rolled over mostly incompetent adversaries, the First Great War was the evolution of a force capable of rivaling Pacifica as a political player, and that's something that has honestly taken nearly 3 years to replicate up to Karma.

So no, no matter what, Karma will never be the "first true great war", because the First Great War set an incredibly high bar for epicness that has been impossible to match for all those who were there for it. No it's not nostalgia, it's a factual statement.

Sorry to you newer folks who think Karma was the greatest thing ever and it's impossible to surpass it, but quite frankly, Karma only matched up to it's predecessors in political impact, not it's level of epicness.

I don't think Karma in particular will be considered all that great, but maybe some of the polarization as a result of it will make for some more truly interesting rivalries.

Either that or it's all just been figured out. I never thought the game was particularly complicated in any sense, and most of the things mentioned owe more to the inefficiencies of the time rather than better mechanics. There are some mechanical changes I disagree with (the over-narrowing of the war ranges has always baffled me) but on the whole it's not significantly more or less complicated than it was before, people just understand everything a lot better. All the discovery has been done.

I wonder how many are still around from the times when there was no limit on the amount of wars one could declare. :P

No limit on wars declared but still a limit on wars that could be declared on you, I presume?

Yes, that does sound like an excellent suggestion.

Most of the other changes people whine about were actually for the better though. I am convinced that most of the people whining about any given thing would whine regardless, so many that it is very hard to notice the additional volume when the handful that only whine when they have a reason start.