Statics from the Beginning.

Raider

It was also easier to build up back then. I had nukes within three months of creating my nation. Haven't been able to reattain them in well over two years now. Back then Ivan's nation, for example, although small, was sizeable enough that people who paid attention to politics were in range of him to go rogue on him. Nowadays that won't happen. Active people have large nations, and wouldn't even consider parting with their precious infra to hit him. Even I had a decent sized nation by the standards of the day. I was actually in the NPO's seventy-fifth percentile. At least. Today I'm nothing. And the divide only grows.
-_-

It'd be nice to see more changes to the game for younger nations, instead of just benefits for larger ones, imo.

Edited by F15pilotX

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in GATO at the time and I remember losing our ability to edit posts. I miss the old forums and old rivalries. I had nukes by the time I was 6,000 strength. I also sort of miss the nuke rogues, back when getting hit by a nuke was devastating.

I remember being chastised by people in my alliance because I had too much tech. 1,000 infra and 600 tech? I was merely a NS bloated nation that would be torn apart by higher infra nations in my strength range.

Also, right after GW2(?) my friend was the first out of the group of us who started playing together to get nukes. A whopping 20K NS was what it took. He could only afford 2 or 3 though, because why would anyone keep more than a couple mil on hand?

Oh, how things have changed.

No, I meant that the forum was flooded with dozens of different topics per day, truly spontaneous, epic propaganda, god-level trolling of the highest nature, really good stuff. Stuff that has not been since, nor shall it be.

God yes, the OWF back then was glorious. I often wish we had the kind of leeway to post like we did back then. Good times.

I like it better that way. It has helped to keep the game from getting boring.

I really can't agree with that. Back then there was a lot of things to doodle with that aren't here anymore. There were more inter alliance work to be done, especially in the economic sense. Aid chains, tech middle men (wtf?), etc, etc. Just more things to bind the community together. It's not there anymore unless you have an ungodly amount of hours to spend on IRC.

I really can't agree with that. Back then there was a lot of things to doodle with that aren't here anymore. There were more inter alliance work to be done, especially in the economic sense. Aid chains, tech middle men (wtf?), etc, etc. Just more things to bind the community together. It's not there anymore unless you have an ungodly amount of hours to spend on IRC.

Completely agree. I disagree with nearly every major mechanical change made. There is less to do in your nation itself. There didn't really used to be such a narrowly defined way to grow your nation "correctly". Nor was war so narrowly guided as it is now. Most of the strategy has been taken out.

Either that or it's all just been figured out. I never thought the game was particularly complicated in any sense, and most of the things mentioned owe more to the inefficiencies of the time rather than better mechanics. There are some mechanical changes I disagree with (the over-narrowing of the war ranges has always baffled me) but on the whole it's not significantly more or less complicated than it was before, people just understand everything a lot better. All the discovery has been done.

Either that or it's all just been figured out. I never thought the game was particularly complicated in any sense, and most of the things mentioned owe more to the inefficiencies of the time rather than better mechanics. There are some mechanical changes I disagree with (the over-narrowing of the war ranges has always baffled me) but on the whole it's not significantly more or less complicated than it was before, people just understand everything a lot better. All the discovery has been done.

The elimination of deficit spending, the capping of offensive war slots, etc. A lot of things that allowed for variation in how people operated, have been eliminated.

This was really fun to see. Thank you. :D

Oh, on a side note...

As well as =LOST= and LoSS and M*A*S*H and ROCK and SNAFU (maybe?) and probably a bunch of alliances not in the Top 120.

On a related note: I have a statshot I took just after GW1. Like, literally the day after peace was declared. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Although SNAFU is an acronym, it is our full name and has no "long form" in the context of our alliance.

Over-narrowing of war ranges?

I guess you don't remember the ladder system.

I remember being chastised by people in my alliance because I had too much tech. 1,000 infra and 600 tech? I was merely a NS bloated nation that would be torn apart by higher infra nations in my strength range.

Indeed, I smashed a couple of just such nations in GW2... I lost some infra, but I gained so much more in tech than they could take back (as I had just way more soldiers)... Good times.

Of course, then tech got important and we all started buying. Except for Grämlins, who had the doctrine 'come on, it's got to become useful some day to buy tech above 300' which was reasonable, as we'd otherwise have had 9k infra/300 tech nations or so by now.

I know I do. Back then you could just bring up a menu of all nations that were in your range.

Outlaw Rudy was always in my range and encroaching on my land. I actually have a screenshot somewhere that I took for a declaration of war on him that I never posted; that's how I first came to be active on the forums. Good times.

For those naysayers: I'll pitch in with the lot that say GWI was purely epic. Truly it was made of stuff that hasn't been seen since. By the time GWII came around we'd lost Grenval, P_C, Andaras, and countless others that really did make this place uh, "exciting".

The elimination of deficit spending, the capping of offensive war slots, etc. A lot of things that allowed for variation in how people operated, have been eliminated.

Okay I'll agree with that. I thought I was the only person who didn't like the removal of the deficit stuff. I do think you overstate things a bit though, the mechanics of the game were always limited even with those options.

Over-narrowing of war ranges?

I guess you don't remember the ladder system.

The ladder system was great fun in its time. I didn't bother to bring it up since it hasn't been in place for, what, 3 years? At least? But good times.

Outlaw Rudy was always in my range and encroaching on my land. I actually have a screenshot somewhere that I took for a declaration of war on him that I never posted; that's how I first came to be active on the forums. Good times.

For those naysayers: I'll pitch in with the lot that say GWI was purely epic. Truly it was made of stuff that hasn't been seen since. By the time GWII came around we'd lost Grenval, P_C, Andaras, and countless others that really did make this place uh, "exciting".

Yeah, 100+ pages were actually the norm rather than the exception. Truly great stuff.

Hmm, I feel the old rivalries were like great feuds of personality, it added to the gimickness, it had alot more 'personal' touch in it..now all of that gets diluted into alliance wide drama, which quickly dilutes to bloc-wide drama and looses that epicneess just gets diluted...the rivalries had alot more character as in personality cults etc.

or I maybe completely wrong, I joined couple or so weeks before UJW.

Hmm, I feel the old rivalries were like great feuds of personality, it added to the gimickness, it had alot more 'personal' touch in it..now all of that gets diluted into alliance wide drama, which quickly dilutes to bloc-wide drama and looses that epicneess just gets diluted...the rivalries had alot more character as in personality cults etc.

or I maybe completely wrong, I joined couple or so weeks before UJW.

Imagine what you're thinking only squared or so.