The GMs Court

hawk11

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Sarah Tintagyl is retiring and Elrich von Richt is barely active from what I've been told, Lynneth and iamthey will be the new GM's to replace them.

It is decided that Californian should remain as GM for the time being, though should he retire, rest assured I know who he will be replaced with.

As cent said, we only do rolls for spies and nukes as spies have an IG determined probability, and nukes have a 60/40 probability of failure/success IF an SDI is present. Generally in the past the precedent has been that you launch your missiles, and the target declares their losses. If you all can't agree on what losses are reasonable though, then at that point there can be some intervention.

Edit Note: I don't think I've ever seen anyone do rolls for the use of strategic weapons (the 50 IG Cm's however one chooses to divide that up). But someone else might be aware of a particular case where we've done that. That being said if rolls were done for strategic weapons I think it would be based on an SDI rather than one's Missile defense as the weapons are themselves generally ICBM's (and are basically just another variation of WMD). The application of your 5 IG missile defense improvements themselves would more have to do with how you RP'd responses to things like RP cruise missiles, or air raids and even then I don't remember IG MD's really having much of an impact/consideration assigned compared with Rp'd missile defense systems.

Edited by iamthey

As iat said, there have never been rolls for cruise missiles (at least from what I remember. And I usually remember things like that), so it's mostly up to RP and an agreement between you two how many - if any - are intercepted.
Basically, all I can say in this case is "what iat said". Mostly because he covered most everything already, much like I'd have said it.

These are not those imaginary cruise missiles that everyone can pull out of nowhere. I want these to be equivalent to heavy duty special weapons, the ones that go under your IG CM count. The reason i asked for rolls is that he might have MD's, but that wasn't the case.

EDIT: Oh, after reading Iat's post I'm a little perplexed. Are you saying its better to forget about IG MD's? I remember a time when SOM tried firing missiles that were ultra-evasive at me, and Pravus interjected saying if I have any MD's that they'd still be subject to the probability cases.

Edited by Executive Minister

[quote name='Executive Minister' date='17 February 2010 - 04:50 PM' timestamp='1266425402' post='2187648']
EDIT: Oh, after reading Iat's post I'm a little perplexed. Are you saying its better to forget about IG MD's? I remember a time when SOM tried firing missiles that were ultra-evasive at me, and Pravus interjected saying if I have any MD's that they'd still be subject to the probability cases.
[/quote]

There is a lot of gray as to what is actually encompassed by the CM rule. For example I rp'd some chemical weapons, others RP EMP's, some RP neutron bombs the list goes on (those are some examples of weapons clearly addressed by the rule). At the same time there are ones that approach the line, such as super stealth missiles, ICBM's with several conventional MIRV warheads, ect. As I don't know the exact specifications of your missiles, I can't say for sure but I am fairly certain they are at least near the line rather than clearly within the realm of the CM rule (Generally the rule of thumb is does it have global capability/range). That being said my point was if it is a 'strategic weapon' then from what I can recall we don't [i]necessarily[/i] do rolls for it, and if we do I would say that the rolls should be done based on SDI's probabilities as you would need an SDI system to take out an ICBM in general.

As for MD's I have never in my time here seen rolls done on the basis of MD's, and I have never seen IG md's play much of a roll at all in RP. Honestly I think its more a matter of if the Rper has Rp'd a missile defense system. If such is not the case than you can either assume some sort of basic anti-ballistic missile installations or no defense at all (and that would apply to systems which defend against non-strategic weaponry/non ICBM).

So to answer your question directly, yes I don't think IG md's have any established role in RP. It is possible they have been used off and on in isolated incidents but I don't think they are an established rule or precedent. I would suggest that in cases like 'ultra evasive missiles' the rpers just work it out and decide whats fair. We don't do rolls for things like soldier losses, or airplane losses and those are probably just as contentious and just as arguable issues. So if you are launching 20 'heavy' missiles my question would be, (a) are they ICBM's and (b) would they be considered a WMD of some kind. If the answer to both is no then the CM rule probably doesn't apply to it, and there is no need to do rolls as we are not dealing with an SDI.

I hope that helps. :)

EDIT: On the matter of MD's as a possible component in RP, I am personally of the mind that they should remain excluded. Their purpose is already easily filled by the SDI which more effectively/specifically addresses the matter of globally reaching WMD's, and defense from non-strategic weapons is comparatively less game altering and thus should simply be left to the creative designs of the Rper.

Edited by iamthey

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='17 February 2010 - 05:10 PM' timestamp='1266448251' post='2188223']
Whoops, realized I hadn;t offered my congrats to Lyn and iat...congrats you two!

And why is everyone congratulating Ty? He was already a GM? :P

Anyway, congrats on remaining a GM. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
We're congratulating him because he is retaining his position as GM, so obviously that means he is doing a decent job at it. :P

Tool used:
http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20dicebag.htm

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/Rolls01.png[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/Rolls02.png[/img]

Silo 1: 1 hit;
Silo 2: 0 hits;
Silo 3: 1 hit;
Silo 4: 2 hits;
Silo 5: 2 hits
Silo 6: 0 hits;
Silo 7: 2 hits;
Silo 8: 0 hits;
Silos 9 and 10: 0 hits