Education Theory

Sileath

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A: If you want to perform social experiments, you should look for volunteers from the wider community rather than using your under-age captive audience.

B: Homework every day means students won't do it. Even the most dedicated students will be too busy on some (most?) nights (sport, other subject's assignments, family and/or religious commitments, etc) to do it.

C: Have you considered doing something more relevant, for example a mock-parliament (or congress / whatever it's called in America)? Usually governments (local, state or federal) will have support material to help you plan and get started. Participation in this form of learning with let the kids explore and understand the political system, hopefully sparking an interest that will lead them to be more informed citizens of the world when they graduate.

D: Hand writing has far less importance today. Fast, accurate typing is a necessary skill for many workplaces.

E: Your own rambling OP is hardly a good example of concise, coherent argument for students to use as a template or guide.

F: Thankfully, no level of administration would ever clear this for use. If you went ahead anyway, the minute a child told their parents about your 'plan', you would be asked to "please explain" by the principal before you could even roll another joint.

Edited by Grumpdogg

Giving a bum money improves his life assuming he buys food with it. Assuming he's intent on spending it on drugs, abstaining from doing so might do good just as well. How much effort do the two things take? Furthermore, what does one take with them in the form of life experience?

The naturalized citizen thing is even worse because all THAT takes is waiting.

Think about the lessons you're going to be getting across: giving stuff away solves all problems and waiting is all it takes to get what you want.

Do you feel this is the same for all the extra-credit examples?

Do you feel that the ability to wait is so unimportant that it should never be emphasized?

A: If you want to perform social experiments, you should look for volunteers from the wider community rather than using your under-age captive audience.

B: Homework every day means students won't do it. Even the most dedicated students will be too busy on some (most?) nights (sport, other subject's assignments, family and/or religious commitments, etc) to do it.

C: Have you considered doing something more relevant, for example a mock-parliament (or congress / whatever it's called in America)? Usually governments (local, state or federal) will have support material to help you plan and get started. Participation in this form of learning with let the kids explore and understand the political system, hopefully sparking an interest that will lead them to be more informed citizens of the world when they graduate.

D: Hand writing has far less importance today. Fast, accurate typing is a necessary skill for many workplaces.

E: Your own rambling OP is hardly a good example of concise, coherent argument for students to use as a template or guide.

F: Thankfully, no level of administration would ever clear this for use. If you went ahead anyway, the minute a child told their parents about your 'plan', you would be asked to "please explain" by the principal before you could even roll another joint.

A: The whole of modern public education in Western countries is a large social experiment. It's going very poorly, in case you were wondering.

B: Perhaps. See Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" for a counter-argument.

C: Mock governments for children are a total waste of time because children don't understand how political decisions are actually made.

D: Decent handwriting is of vital importance in most labs, and is also critical in most health-care settings. This will not be changing any time soon.

E: IHNJH.

F: From this comment I suspect that you might be young. I say this only because much, much more "radical" things have been approved for children in the past. Modern educators are amazingly ignorant, and have no qualms about running even the most foolish experiments on their pupils. The OP's ideas are tame and even somewhat reasonable.

Edited by Zombie Glaucon

Do you feel this is the same for all the extra-credit examples?

Do you feel that the ability to wait is so unimportant that it should never be emphasized?

The following are the ones I don`t like:

Donate blood - 15 points

Become a naturalized US citizen - 50 points

Register to vote - 10 points

And I feel that the ability to wait is not part of the curriculum of Sileath`s course.

The entire class structure part should be dropped. Society could use more intelligent people like you as teachers; it does not need a social experiment that will do nothing other than ensure you have no job. That sort of thing will only work at a specialized school for people who are into history, in a regular school people will just not care enough.

My favorite part is where he endows unto a high school class machinations of state which mirror those used in the NSO.

Anyway, I'm not really sure if this is some sort of conspiracy theory related Lord of the Flies approach to education or if it is some sort of libertarian version of the Hitler Uouth. Actually, I think I got it. It's a money laundering scheme again. Yeah, that's it! Money laundering.

Edited by heggo

I also don't agree that the number one goal of an AP class is to pass a test. That is exactly where schools are failing. The teachers are teaching memorization skills, not actual knowledge, which forgive me, is supposed to be the number one reason for school in the first place.

I am 8 years removed from high school

er. no. AP classes and tests are NOT why high schools are failing, and AP classes are designed TO teach to the test. Maybe since you are 8 years removed from high school (I'm 3 years removed) and since wide availability of AP classes are relatively new, i'll fill you in. AP stands for Advanced Placement, which means that in most schools that offer AP courses, AP courses are the highest level of achievement, and generally by taking these courses, you would get more knowledge than in any other non-AP course by the same name. The goal is to take a test at the end of the year (my tests were $52 an exam) and, based on what you got on the test (1-5, 1+2 failing, 3 sometimes being accepted, and 4+5 usually accepted), you would get college level credit. As for myself, I took 7 AP courses in high school (took 6 tests, as the Physics AP class wasn't serious nor taught to the test), and as a result, I got 22 credits, which has probably saved me 15k-25k depending on including the opportunity costs, which is great considering I only spent $312 on the exams themselves. Fundamentally, AP courses are designed so the students gain enough knowledge to pass the AP exam, to serve as an acceptable substitute for a college course by the same or similar name.

Diffusion is the capacity to effectively communicate ideas. Every Monday, students will handwrite a paper concerning the theme presented that day.

Requiring a hand-written paper is being prejudiced against those of us who are disabled and cannot produce legible handwriting anymore.

I understand the concept and think it would be absolutely fracking amazing to have our kids actually taught something as opposed to reciting facts and then forgetting them the next week, college would be a better place to try to teach this though.

On a more serious note, if something along these lines gets implemented by every teacher today, instead of just preparing the pupils for some exam or the other. Actually getting them educated, instead of feeding them facts to be remembered, it would not necessarily be a bad thing.

Sadly not many schools and educators take the time and the effort needed anymore, and neither does the student body and their guardians.

As a reminder, the realization that the status quo is flawed doesn't imply that this alternative is a good idea. There are numerous better systems that could be adopted. For instance, you could build one in which the students aren't expected to wage metaphorical wars on eachother.

As a reminder, the realization that the status quo is flawed doesn't imply that this alternative is a good idea. There are numerous better systems that could be adopted. For instance, you could build one in which the students aren't expected to wage metaphorical wars on eachother.

personally I would force all my students to join my CN alliance and whoever gets nukes by the end of the years gets an automatic A on their final.

My favorite part is where he endows unto a high school class machinations of state which mirror those used in the NSO.
For instance, you could build one in which the students aren't expected to wage metaphorical wars on eachother.

I intend on using the NSO challenge system to keep the Councils accountable. It will be similar to how Master Marauders can only be challenged by Marauders.. a Chairman of a Council can be challenged by a Councilor, and a Councilor can be challenged by any member of their socioeconomic class who is endorsed by 10% of that class.

In a challenge, the socioeconomic class will be summoned to the auditorium, where the challenged and the challenger will debate the performance of the challenged, the promises and potential of the challenger, and answer questions from myself and Privy Council.

One of the questions that will always be asked is, "Does a government function better when its internal groups operate in a spirit of cooperation or a spirit of competition?"

I will personally adjudicate the victor, on advice from Privy Council, the uninvolved members of the challenged Council, and the reactions of the audience.