Interview with Field Marshal Malan

Botha

Field Marshal Petrus Malan, Commander-in-Chief of the Republican Military Government of the Republic of Transvaal has agreed to a press conference held at Government House to answer and address any questions which the foreign press in Pretoria may have regarding the RMG and the Republic.

HAIL MALAN!

Stefano De Bedenetti, Il Popolo D'Italia (The People of Italy, Regime Newspaper): "Mr Malan, on 30 May you announced the abolition of the "Federal" system and aimed at the creation of a "New Republic". A lot has changed in this week. One can now draw conclusions on this period and see the positive and negative aspects. Please tell us if you are happy with how this system is now functioning and its results."

Edited by Junio Borghese

MeganMcCormick.jpg

Ms. McCormick, independent journalist (formally a reporter of the Procinctia Broadcasting Corporation)

"How do explain your administration’s controversial decision to dissolve all diplomatic relations and the following self imposed isolation from the international community?"

Edited by Generalissimo

citizen_journalist-1.jpg

Guy in the back, probably freelance reporter

"Your opponents have called your current regime a fascist pariah state ruled by petty military strongmen insincerely parodying democracy, while you yourself have been described as a megalomaniac racist murder - how do you respond to these allegations?"

Edited by Generalissimo

After the foreign journalists had been ushered into the private office, Foreign Minister Hendrik Strijdom walked in, introduced himself, and said that Field Marshal Malan would be with them shortly.

A few minutes later, a door opened and a man in full uniform walked in – striding confidently in his purpose but displaying a cautious, suspicious glance at the journalists assembled before him. Minister Strijdom then spoke up to make the announcement: “Ladies and gentlemem, Field Marshal Petrus Malan, Commander-in-Chief of the Republican Military Government of the Republic of Transvaal”.

2dh5g04.jpg

Marshal Malan, Commander-in-Chief of the RMG

As Malan sat down, the Transvalers in the room – except for the minister – snapped to attention and shouted “Hail Malan!” as he sat down.

Field Marshal Malan took a slow sip from his cool and refereshing glass of water which a butler had quickly placed on his desk. In a strong, baritone accented voice, the Marshal then spoke somewhat unenthused, as if this whole interview process was something he’d rather have avoided.

“Greetings, welcome to Government House. Let’s begin with your questions…” He scanned the room, and then pointed Stefano De Bedenetti from Il Popolo D'Italia. “you, you there…”

De Bedenetti stood up, looked around the room at the rest of the reporters, and then asked his question:

"Mr Malan, on 30 May you announced the abolition of the "Federal" system and aimed at the creation of a "New Republic". A lot has changed in this week. One can now draw conclusions on this period and see the positive and negative aspects. Please tell us if you are happy with how this system is now functioning and its results."

“Well Mr. Bedenetti, actually the Republic was proclaimed one month ago yesterday (May 7) and the RMG has been in power since the end of April when the Karma War raged over Transvaal. May 30 was only the date of when I was elected to a six-month term in office.”

“Anyways, trivialities aside, since that time we have seen the peaceful re-annexation of our northern territories after the failure of their independence. The Government has also been re-negotiating its trades into a trade circle – and while that process has not been as smooth as we hoped for, the end result will be most advantageous to Transvaal as under the previous Federal regime, primary trade (i.e. in-game trade) maintenance has become a costly, haphazard affair which caused our economy to stagnate since around Christmas. The RMG has abolished the old Federal policy of paying for trade maintenance, which will save approximately $30,000,000 rand per year by our estimates. My government has thus eliminated the corrupt Federal government’s kickbacks to foreign powers for primary trades.”

“To summarise and answer your question, of course I am pleased with how Transvaal is functioning considering our current ecomonic, political, and military situation as a defeated power.”

Field Marshal Malan then drank from his glass of water, and looked around for another question.

“Yes, you there…” he said gruffly as he pointed towards the reporter from <The Polish Republic>:

What is your position on the United States of America?

“This government, like most Transvaler governments before it, has little interest or concern with what goes on in the New World. So long as our longtime, staunch allies Tahoe Republic are not affected by the USA then we have no interest or concern – although look at the size of that country on the map, one wonders if it will maintain enough cohension to remain united or break up.”

Malan then eyed Ms. McCormick from Procinctia… “Yes, you there – what is your question Miss?”

"How do explain your administration’s controversial decision to dissolve all diplomatic relations and the following self imposed isolation from the international community?"

“That was a temporary measure under severed wartime conditions as we gauged who our enemies and friends were. We have re-established diplomatic relations recently with 16 socially and morally sound nations – so one cannot say we remain isolated. The rupture actually allowed the RMG to review the nation’s foreign affairs, which had become stagnant under the Hertzog regime – and cleanse ourselves of maintaining contacts with those nations deemed socially deviant.”

Malan then pointed towards some guy in the back, apparently a freelance reporter from Procinctia:

"Your opponents have called your current regime a fascist pariah state ruled by petty military strongmen insincerely parodying democracy, while you yourself have been described as a megalomaniac racist murder - how do you respond to these allegations?"

The field marshal laughed at the pointed question before responding in a sinister tone: “Our opponents can call us whatever they want – but at the end of the day we shall crush their bones into the earth and Transvaal shall emerge victorious. Simple as that.”

Malan made a mental note to himself to pass on the Interior Minister van Zyl, to have some of his men follow this hippy and rough him up a little. ‘We don’t need this kind of rabble polluting our citizens with his notions of democracy...’

Janice Mullins of DENN (Dragon Empire News Network) inquires, "What do you think of the most recent election results in the Dragon Empire and the rise of President Landry of Melvin Republic to the executor ship of the newly formed nation? Do you think the nation's constitution is strong enough to allow it to maintain its solidarity? What are your views on Meritocracy and the role of it in government? Are you still comfortable with the trade arrangements with the Imperial state of Dragonisia?"

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

Stefano De Bedenetti, Il Popolo D'Italia (The People of Italy, Regime Newspaper): Mr Malan, don't you think Africa lacks a ruling "party"? Will Transvaal assume a leading role like the Greater Nordlandic Coalition in Europe, and the Tahoe Republic in North America? Do you think the Karma war was a chance for many nations and new regimes to arise from the ashes of defeated liberal-conservative governments?

Edited by Junio Borghese

Janice Mullins of DENN (Dragon Empire News Network) inquires, "What do you think of the most recent election results in the Dragon Empire and the rise of President Landry of Melvin Republic to the executor ship of the newly formed nation? Do you think the nation's constitution is strong enough to allow it to maintain its solidarity? What are your views on Meritocracy and the role of it in government? Are you still comfortable with the trade arrangements with the Imperial state of Dragonisia?"

I honestly have not been following the elections and goings-on in the Dragon Empire. I really only focus our government’s attention on regional issues closer to home. Most overseas problems and issues don’t affect us so we don’t pay too much attention. Transvaal has always been geared toward being a regional or perhaps continental giant at best – we’ve never strove to be a global power. Hence many global issues don’t concern the RMG at the moment while we focus on our reconstruction.

I will be the first to admit that I am not a man of the world. I have spent most of my life in Southern Africa, with only occassional trips to Deutschland and Tahoe during my military training. What goes on across the seas interests me little.

As for meritocracy, yes I am a solid supporter of promotion based on merit. That has been the failing of many so-called democratic regimes over the years, that the government elected reflects the whims and wishes of the common uneducated voter.

Trade agreements with Dragonisa will be put under review at some point as the RMG is not as open for foreign investment in our markets as the previous Federal regime was.

Mr Malan, don't you think Africa lacks a ruling "party"? Will Transvaal assume a leading role like the Greater Nordlandic Coalition in Europe, and the Tahoe Republic in North America? Do you think the Karma war was a chance for many nations and new regimes to arise from the ashes of defeated liberal-conservative governments?

Due to our Republic’s – how shall I put it? – unique demographic issues, while we have always concerned ourselves with maintaining preeminence of military power in Southern Africa specifically and the rest of Africa in general, due to our racial difficulties I cannot see us assuming a leading role in Africa unless we exerted it with our jackboots, and that is a course which isn’t feasible to us. We are not a major supporter of ‘big blocs’ and our government is content with remaining a regional power not biting off more than we can chew. Our disastrous colonial adventure in South America last year as well as the Franzharian occupation is testament to our realistic limits of power.

Yes, the political fallout of the Karma War no doubt will make some governments, mostly those in defeated powers, rethink their strategic economic and military planning. While losing the war was not something we wanted to see, we’ve also been presented with new opportunities which were not there before.

Currently, the reporter from Promised Land was struggling to get to the front where she could be noticed. She couldn't be recognized to ask a question if she couldn't be seen.

Malan noticed the rather short reporter trying to make herself visible. "Yes, you there Miss - speak up!

A Nordlandic Representative stood tall in the crowd, he was nearly 214 cm tall and towered over most reporters. In a deep voice he exclaimed:

"His Holiness, the König of Prussia, Albert Tanzband has followed your career for some time now and wishes for an audience in Prussia to discuss the current geopolitical climate, relations between Transvaal and the Greater Nordlandic Reich, and a discussion of governing philosophy in times of crisis and in times of peace. Would you be willing to accept such an audience?"

Malan noticed the rather short reporter trying to make herself visible. "Yes, you there Miss - speak up!

The little woman looked up sharply. She hadn't raised her hand yet, but she took the opportunity presented her. "Thank you. Earlier, you mentioned Transvaal is having racial difficulties. What difficulties? And what, in your view, is the root cause of these difficulties?"

Would you be willing to accept such an audience?"

“I must regretfully decline his invitation for the time being. Under the current circumstances, the RMG and myself have decided it is prudent that I do not travel abroad. Perhaps once the surrender requirements have expired in a few months then we shall be in a more stable domestic situation to permit me to make some visits overseas.”

What is your take on the current events in the near east?

“Admittedly I have not been following much in the way of international conflicts and events.”

"Thank you. Earlier, you mentioned Transvaal is having racial difficulties. What difficulties? And what, in your view, is the root cause of these difficulties?"

“Since independence two and a half years ago, Transvaal has been plagued by the fundamental issue of being a homeland first and foremost for a national minority in Southern Africa – namely, the Afrikaners – and maintaining that identity. For around the last two years, Transvaal has been the undisputed power in Southern Africa since the demise of South Africa and the Boer Staat, which resulted in an influx of both a black African majority into our expanded borders as well as the adsorption of far-right White elements. We have always faced the pressure of justifying our white minority rule to the rest of the world – even though circumstances and events made our nation something we never set out to be, namely a multi-racial state. Transvaal was born out of the oppression of South Africa and the Boer Staat, and against amazing odds we maintained our survival. Yet the international community constantly throws ‘morality’ at us whenever we attempt to exert our essential Afrikaner essence. We have tried – and failed – to establish independent black African homelands. And yet whenever we attempt to strength our core identity of being an Afrikaner homeland, we get accused of being racists and such rubbish. Contrary to popular belief and you can see for yourselves, we do not have segregation in Transvaal – we never have. While we may not represent the black majority that has found itself within our borders, this nation has nevertheless in good faith ensured that our native black population receives the highest standard of living on the continent. Yet this is never reported in the foreign press….”

Malan pounds his fist down on the table and then stops to drink some water, obviously riled up by the question. However instead of continuing his rant which he had lost direction of, he simply takes a deep breath and asks: “Any more questions?”

“Yes, you there…” pointing at Nikesh Kumar.

"Sir, what is Transvaal's opinion about the conflict brewing in Far East between Yamato and Korea?"

“The government has no opinion as Asian affairs are for Asians to sort out themselves. It does not affect us.”

One very large and very white reporter had his arm up in a fist behind the little woman who just asked a question, patiently waiting his turn.

“Yes, you there with your arm up in the air… what is your question?”

"Field Marshal Malan, your elections have been overwhelmingly in your favor and there is no doubt that you were the man for the people. How do you respond to those who have said it was a sham?"

The question leaves Malan speechless as he is caught completely offguard as how to respond. He wonders to himself: ‘does this guy see through the elections for what they are and is just trying to make asinine comments to play him [Malan] off as a fool in front of the rest of the foreign correspondents here – or does he genuinely believe the election to have been free and fair?’

The field marshal is silent for what seems like an eternity as he downs the rest of his water.

“Well... one must understand that the May 30 Republican election was made under rather unusual circumstances due to our dire domestic situation. While I do not doubt that we have the people’s support based on the strong turnout and return of ballots in support of the RMG, please understand that future elections likely won’t result in such unanimity as we currently have in the Republican Military Government.”

Malan then pauses to see what kind of respond his reply gets from the foreign journalists in attendance.

The reporter from Promised Land covered her mouth to hide a grin and suppressed laughter, but she was a professional, so it was only a moment before she recovered her composure.

"Of course it was unanimous," she mutters quietly, then speaks up more loudly. "What other candidates were on the ballot? Was there a write-in option? And what percentage of the people voted in that election?"

The large Louisianian reporter stepped in front of the reporter from Promised Land to hide her grin which she was doing quite badly. "Why do these questions need to be asked? No matter who else was on the ballot, Malan was the winner - overwhelmingly so. It's quite obvious that your questions are only to embarrass the Field Marshall while he is helping to keep Transvaal in shape. The real question that needs to be answered is how long do you think you will stay in power?"

The large Louisianian reporter stepped in front of the reporter from Promised Land to hide her grin which she was doing quite badly. "Why do these questions need to be asked? No matter who else was on the ballot, Malan was the winner - overwhelmingly so. It's quite obvious that your questions are only to embarrass the Field Marshall while he is helping to keep Transvaal in shape. The real question that needs to be answered is how long do you think you will stay in power?"

"Excuse me, but I thought this was a press conference?" she said indignantly, stepping in front of him once again. "At press conferences, all sorts of questions can expect to be asked. You should know that."

OOC: No, she only grinned for about two seconds. No need for that. *glares*

A scrawny little reporter stepped up, "Marshal Malan, Ned Bixby, Democracy Now!, how do you respond to accusations that you are not honoring basic social and civil rights in your country?" He was immediately punched in the face by a reporter from Marscurian News, "Marshal Malan, don't pay any attention to this hippy, we know you're doing a great job." Flipping through his notebook, he asks his questions. "What is your stance on closer relationships to other continents? Would you extend economic or diplomatic ties? I guess what I'm asking is, 'How can we get on your good side?'"

"What other candidates were on the ballot? Was there a write-in option? And what percentage of the people voted in that election?"

“There was only one candidate on the ballot and no write-in option. The single-ballot election was the result of emergency measures due to the war raging at the time. The RMG felt that while multi-party elections were out of the question while large parts of the nation were gripped by anarchy and civil unrest, it was felt that if we went through the motions of still holding the election when it was scheduled for that it would help maintain some semblance of continuance and domestic order.”

“As for the percentage of people who voted, while we do not have exact numbers, we do know by the number of Volksraad representatives elected for the RMG that this was the largest number of voters in any Transvaler election to date. “

The real question that needs to be answered is how long do you think you will stay in power?

“The RMG will remain in power until reconstruction is complete and we have rebuilt to our prewar economic and military level. At that point, civilian multi-party elections will be scheduled for the next six-month voting cycle – whether that falls in November or next May.”

What is your stance on closer relationships to other continents? Would you extend economic or diplomatic ties?

“Currently the RMG is maintaining more of a centrist approach to our economy as we do not wish to see foreign corporations moving in and buying everything up. As for diplomatic relations, we are focusing on regional issues and concerns, such as the recent independence of the Seventh Reich as well as the ideological bombast and propaganda coming out of Somal.

With the questioning over, Field Marshal Malan thanked the reporters for taking the time form their busy schedules to meet with him.

After leaving the press room and returning to his private office, Foreign Minister Strijdom leaned on his desk and said "See, sir... that wasn't too bad, was it? No one asked any really pointed, moral questions to you."

The Marshal pounded back some whiskey from a flask he kep in his desk and which he had broken into. "Hrmph... yes I suppose so. Now to see if foreign opinion shifts in our favour."