Sphere of Influence

Sumeragi

A. Sphere of Influence Basis

1. The diameter of RP SoI is the same as IG stats.

2. The SoI will be drawn using this site, based on the RP geodetic datum. The reasons for this are:

a. The IG map makes the SoI smaller than its actual size.

b. SoI of over 5000 miles tend to not show up

B. Territory

1. Land within the SoI is claimable without restriction

2. Land outside the SoI is claimable under the following restrictions:

a. Land within (IG tech/2) miles from SoI: 0.2 troops/㎢ (Consensus among nations whose SoI covers the area), 10 troops/㎢ (No consensus among nations whose SoI covers the area/no SoI coverage)

b. All other land: 0.5 troops/㎢ (Consensus among nations whose SoI covers the area), 25 troops/㎢ (No consensus among nations whose SoI covers the area/no SoI coverage)

C. Protectorate

1. Land within the SoI can be protected without restriction

2. Land outside the SoI can be protected under the following restrictions:

a. Land within (IG tech/2) miles from SoI: 0.1 troops/㎢ (Consensus among nations whose SoI covers the area), 5 troops/㎢ (No consensus among nations whose SoI covers the area/no SoI coverage)

b. All other land: 0.4 troops/㎢ (Consensus among nations whose SoI covers the area), 20 troops/㎢ (No consensus among nations whose SoI covers the area/no SoI coverage)

Edited by Sumeragi

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the principle. We don't need any more stats. As an RP there should be no stats at all but you people don't seem to understand what "fun" is instead of always having to be winners based on game stats instead of actual roleplaying. The new tech scale makes it much easier for those with less tech, and sphere of influence is only used in-game to determine environment scores, small population boost and happiness.

Straight from the game, the map means nothing. SoI is a number people use to keep in balance with their infra so that they don't lose money, not some sort of limitation on how you can play the game.

I've got an idea. How about we use common sense. I know, I know, it seems hard, but really, we don't have worms for brains (some of us at least...) and can figure out if something is reasonable or not.

Hm, I think I'm going with mudd on this one...maybe.

I've got an idea. How about we use common sense. I know, I know, it seems hard, but really, we don't have worms for brains (some of us at least...) and can figure out if something is reasonable or not.

Which would be delightful, if it applied to everyone. But then, some people always gets exceptions, I believe.

Here is one!

You can claim up to the limit of your SoI against no contest.

You can claim outside your SoI provided it was contested.

Which is exactly as it is now! Read the map thread, its perfectly explained.

Define contest.

You have to take it by force, or have it given to you in well thought out reasonable IC roleplay. Or, to put in the negative, it cannot be white, nor can it be given by OOC means, or a bit of IC which is just like a one liner.

Your Sphere of influence is your gaddam "My Nation Map" link IG. There is no substitute, and I refuse to recognize anything other than that map. Any land outside your SoI must be RPd as such: it's out of your influence. That means that if you own land outside your SoI, its a detriment to your economy, military, population, etc, especially in the area in question. Any refusal to do so is GodMode, plain and simple.The only thing you have to even give one tiny iota of caring about is How do you determine SoI when you reach the 5k land glitch; which personally I think should give a person the right to RP small colonies as if it was within the SoI

Edited by Lord Frost

No need to be so insulting. She is trying to help.

You have to take it by force, or have it given to you in well thought out reasonable IC roleplay. Or, to put in the negative, it cannot be white, nor can it be given by OOC means, or a bit of IC which is just like a one liner.

Aye, this.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

Your Sphere of influence is your gaddam "My Nation Map" link IG. There is no substitute, and I refuse to recognize anything other than that map. Any land outside your SoI must be RPd as such: it's out of your influence. That means that if you own land outside your SoI, its a detriment to your economy, military, population, etc, especially in the area in question. Any refusal to do so is GodMode, plain and simple.The only thing you have to even give one tiny iota of caring about is How do you determine SoI when you reach the 5k land glitch; which personally I think should give a person the right to RP small colonies as if it was within the SoI

Even if that map is mistaken?

And so, we come to yet another "I believe in stats up to a certain point, with this exception...

And so, we come to yet another "I believe in stats up to a certain point, with this exception...

As usual. Of course, I would have looked over it if what he did in the past didn't contradict what he advocates about empires being costly.

Even if that map is mistaken?

Nice Double post.

Just because the map isn't valued in a way that makes you happy, there is still the fact that it exists. You lot can argue all you want about semantics and numbers and math and rules and all sorts of stupid stuff. Ive stated how I'm going to recognize RP, and that's how I'm going to stay, and I'm not changing my mind or anything, so don't waste your time trying to play the fence and compromise and argue a position I'm going to thoroughly ignore anyway.

Now, if you want to discuss what happens when you hit the 5k glitch, by all means I'm game for that

They would not have a detrimental effect on your economy, if anything foreign possessions should improve the economy. The British Empire was the most powerful nation in the entire world for good reason. So many colonies and lots and lots of revenue. Lots and lots of soldiers from lots and lots of citizens.

I personally disagree with these all this stuff based on IG stats, at least initially for beginner nations -- because they'd have to spend a good amount of time beeing like San Marino. It makes much more sense for veteran players of the game. I'm perfectly fine playing a backwards nation, but playing one that is supposed to be 36 miles squared and consists of 287 (2,870?) is a bit odd.

And isn't the population supposed to be multiplied by 10 or something like that, if I recall? That'd lead to population density issues if the SOI is unchanged, unless you splurge IG infra cash on land, but that is just outright bizarre idea for me. In any matter I guess in a month or so this won't be an issue -- at least not in my mind.

Nice Double post.

I happened to be composing my post at the same time as you. Deal with it.

Just because the map isn't valued in a way that makes you happy, there is still the fact that it exists. You lot can argue all you want about semantics and numbers and math and rules and all sorts of stupid stuff. Ive stated how I'm going to recognize RP, and that's how I'm going to stay, and I'm not changing my mind or anything, so don't waste your time trying to play the fence and compromise and argue a position I'm going to thoroughly ignore anyway.

It's not that the map isn't valued the way I like--it's that the map is in error! You need to read my post more carefully, please.

And for the record, insults and half-thought-out comments like what I've bolded are phail, to put it simply.

Now, if you want to discuss what happens when you hit the 5k glitch, by all means I'm game for that

That's part of the reason Sumer posted that link, in case you missed it.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

I personally disagree with these all this stuff based on IG stats, at least initially for beginner nations -- because they'd have to spend a good amount of time beeing like San Marino. It makes much more sense for veteran players of the game. I'm perfectly fine playing a backwards nation, but playing one that is supposed to be 36 miles squared and consists of 287 (2,870?) is a bit odd.

And isn't the population supposed to be multiplied by 10 or something like that, if I recall? That'd lead to population density issues if the SOI is unchanged, unless you splurge IG infra cash on land, but that is just outright bizarre idea for me. In any matter I guess in a month or so this won't be an issue -- at least not in my mind.

I hate posting at the same time as another person--it leads to doubleposts like this.

Anyway, to answer your question, ingame pop is generally multiplied by 100, and ingame soldiers by 10.

That'sd part of the reason Sumer posted that link, in case you missed it.

She linked an entirely different mapping place, which as I've stated, I refuse to recognize at legit SoI; in case you missed it. Now, let's talk about something productive, because, as justinian so kindly pointed out, this isn't math class.

As I've said, i think those nations who've hit the 5k glitch on the IG map should have the right to RP small colonies as if it was within their SoI. When I say small, I'm thinking mebbe a province of some place, or a very tiny country (like Taiwan)

I hate posting at the same time as another person--it leads to doubleposts like this.

Anyway, to answer your question, ingame pop is generally multiplied by 100, and ingame soldiers by 10.

That further eschews the population density if SOI is left with no modifier to mess with that. But I guess my nation is just a city at the moment, so no matter.