Principles of Pacifica "Weekly" Address #10

Cortath

This is a reproduction of a weekly address given to the Body Republic of the New Pacific Order. It generally runs about once a "week", and is an official production of the Media Corps of the New Pacific Order. This address was given today, so please note that this address and subsequent may refer to events that are not contemporary with the time of the reproduction post.

The Addresses tend to address principles we believe embody Pacifica, with a heavy emphasis on Francoist thought. Not all addresses specifically discuss Francoism directly, however.

Hail my Comrades!

A question that has puzzled many Pacificans these past many weeks is a grave difficulty confronting our Francoist roots. It has shaken the very foundations of our Francoist institutions and has caused a drastic re-evaluation of the material conditions of our society. Francoist scholars have plunged the depths of our secluded libraries. I myself spent more than a week deep in the Unlimited Wing of the Museum of Pacifica History, poring over ancient and dusty tomes, surrounded only by the sight of yellowed paper and moldy pages. The next week, my mind distraught with the implications of what I had learned, I took long walks through the Pacifica University, in the School of Sociology, forgoing my duties to teaching, passing by serene ponds with ducks and palm tree fronds, but finding no peace in the solace of its waters. I invited some of my wiser students and my colleagues to take a pilgrimage to the Emperor's Fortress at Francograd, and with an oath of silence, we travelled for days, pondering these imponderables until at last we arrived, only to have our silence broken by the vicious debates that ensued.

"Are Sith Francoist? Does the Rule of Two demonstrate the accountability of autocratic democracy? Does the disposal of the Master of the Apprentice represent the recognition that Gods are dead, and only an reasoned, rational material analysis of society can be the basis of an alliance? Does the primordial dichotomy of light and dark represent an understanding of Userite and Feederite tendencies? Can this be reconciled with the evolution of Francoism on Planet Bob, so far away from our ancestral waters of the Pacific? Had the ADN really won?" These questions. And no answers.

Fights broke out among students. Small riots and disturbances flared up in Francograd, and even Prefect of the Praetorian Guard and Francoist Scholar Vladimir put on his Praetorian sash and took to the streets to calm the people, as the terror of the normally ascetic and serene Francoist students spread to the populace.

"But the basis of the Sith code is emotion," I stuttered to my students, as we calmed, "that appears to this Francoist as if the gods of democracy and the gods of religion are merely replaced with gods that rule from the emotions of the whims of a Sith Master!"

"But as the Sith teach, it is conflict that breeds strength, and this is certainly Francoist!", one of my students replied, chiding me, "Francoism was forged in the great conflict in the turbulent waters of the Pacific, and it is well known that strong ideologies only grow from attacking the strong."

"But how can strength grow if the once strongest is simply and ignobly dispatched by an Apprentice, who in turn, is made Master without the benefits of the prior Master's learnings?" I shot back, hoping to dispel this notion. "This seems a poor way for a Francoist institution to pass its memory from one Emperor to the next. The Rule of Two, while breeding strength from strength, a core Francoist tenant, seems irrational in its way of passing on training from one Sith to another." Some of the students nodded, understanding, but many remained unconvinced.

"As with all reasoned and rational analysis of an ideology," I reasoned to them, "we must look to its core tenants for guidelines as to its true nature."

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force shall free me.

"Indeed, we find that Sith ideology follows a logical and rational progression, that however, has at its core a false premise: passion!" I said, almost yelling, triumphantly. "There is no passion in Francoism, but passion for Francoism: it this irrational worship of passion that demonstrates, ultimately, that the Sith are not Francoist."

I continued, "And it is un-Francoist in that the very nature of a Code is dogma. It is the worship of an ideal over the analysis of ideal in light of the material conditions of society. The Code cannot change! The Sith do not allow it to change! So though these Sith may appear Francoist, they are unchanging, and in stagnation lies death, for while the world changes, they do not. And Francoism demands change!"

"Francoism demands change!" I continued hurriedly, excited that I had a found a point, noting the nodding students. "Francoism examines the material world and determines if our institutions are capable of meeting the challenge of a changing world. Nothing is good because it is old! Nothing is good because it once worked! No! No! Only that which functions is good! Only that which keeps the chaos of nature and the barbarity of man away from Fortress Pacifica is that which we must embrace!"

"The Sith embrace failed traditions. The Rule of Two is a dogma, but it has led them to being nearly wiped out, as when Darth Sidious and banned member were destroyed! How can such a failed dogma continue to be embraced by a Francoist people? I see it now. Through their passion, they find comfort in dogma, but through dogma, their claims to be the heirs of Franco falls!"

The remaining students, unable to counter the argument, looked at me silently in the shadows cast by the mighty parapets and booming canons of Francograd Fortress as the group walked slowly to Pacific University, still unable to shake the thought that there was more in the darthness.

Edited by Cortath

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sith aren't Francoist? !@#$, let me write my letter of resignation now.

We do not require a passion for an outmoded philosophy of imperialism and competition-stifling treaty blocs. Any passion one has - be it for obtaining bread for their people, exerting influence upon the world, or feeling that tingly sensation which accompanies serving Dark Lord Moldavi - will be channeled into service for the Sith cause.

Stagnant? I wanted to be the state. I couped my way to the top. Now I'm on the top of my chosen discipline, and I am NSO Internal Affairs. I am free to be the catalyst for state-sponsored coups. I will be a dictator of my department until someone younger, more spry, and more able displaces me. I look forward to that day.

Only the strong survive, not the tenured, withered old men.

From reading the latest report, I must say I'm pleasantly suprised to see the hypnopedia style of rote pacifican teachings has been abandoned for indocturnating the young pacifican brains as they pass throught the aclaimed academy.

Times they are a changin?

as when Darth Sidious and banned member were destroyed!

OOC: This thread is worth it just for that.

IC -

Your question ("Are Sith Francoist?") is an interesting one, but I am afraid that you may be disappointed to find the question purely academic. We will generally be among the first to tell you that we are not Francoist, nor are we claiming to be the "heirs of Franco." Certainly it is possible to draw similarities, as you have, between our philosophy and Francoism, as both of us tend to emphasize some degree of materialism, and the importance of material and real power as opposed to empty moral ideology. But, no, our philosophies are not the same, and we have never claimed they were. The more important parts of your argument, then, would be the mistaken beliefs that the Sith embrace ritual or tradition because it is old and unchanged, and that an emphasis on passion means that we are irrational.

For the first, I'm not really sure how you reached that conclusion, honestly. I suppose it is because we have a formulaic code that has been left unchanged for many, many years. But that code is simply a very basic and broad prescription for more specific actions and beliefs. Your claim that having an unchanging code locks us into a unchanging system is akin to me claiming that because Francoism always looks at things scientifically, Francoism is a staid, stagnat philosophy. It's simply not true, and it only takes a cursory examination to understand why. That the most fundamental premise of the philosophy remains unaltered does not mean that the actions or consequences of the philosophy are doomed to endless, unfailing repetition ending in failure. Situations change, personalities change, and passions change. The behavior, actions, and society of the Sith also changes over time, as it has. The Rule of Two was itself a distinct departure from the past of the Sith, and our current alliance structure is a break away from the Rule of Two, incorporating historical elements of previous Sith orders that fit our current needs and, yes, passions.

Secondly, does the primacy of our passions make us irrational? I would have to think not. Being driven by Passion does not mean being emotional or blind to reason. We pursue what we desire, and we do not let the rules of others prevent us from achieving our passions, but we do not act out of blind emotion. That is not what passion means. The Sith have a long history of acting towards their passions, their goals in calm, calculated ways. Darth Sidious is the most obvious example, though there are certainly others. While we may not necessarily share the same passions as our predecessors, we do share their ability to think long-term and based on material objectives and realities as we pursue our passions. Passion moves us to act, but it also moves us to be strong. Irrationality is a weakness, and has no place in our Order.

Why does it matter if the Sith are Francoist or not?

Also, on the note of NSO, and Ivan.

And why do I choose to write of Ivan Moldavi today? Because, as Ivan's speech so poignantly and pointedly shows, when he speaks from his heart (he has one, for his is the flesh of man), of this past August, no man, Emperor or soldier is right because of their position. They are right because they are final. And to humble himself before the Order by speaking candidly of the past, to accept the mantle of humanity that is Francoism's gift, is to defeat the notions of religious inevitability of Francoism, to defeat the notion that we are Gods, and not men.

Taken, of course from Cortanth's fifth address.

Edited by MegaAros

As to all events which occur, its not the argument that counts but why the argument itself occurs. I ask myself why has Cortath verbally challenged the guiding thoughts of the Sith. I do not claim to have an answer but it seems to me that the war against Jarheads may be coming to an end in the near future.... B)

Lets discuss your attempt at discrediting the sith, all emphasis on the word attempt.

Are Sith Francoist? Does the Rule of Two demonstrate the accountability of autocratic democracy

Are the sith Francoist?, The answer is no. I cant make it any simpler I think, so applying the ideology of francoism to us isnt going to work in the least. Autocratic democracy, the same logic bars this from being applied as well Im afraid. The Sith have no fixed dogma, no doctrine of thought which guides us except the Code of the Sith which is a core set of beliefs which teach us to constantly improve for the better, to adapt constantly to every new situation. Our "dogma" is in essence to have no fixed dogma, but one which constantly adapts, so stagnancy isnt a word which can be used to describe the sith code.

But how can strength grow if the once strongest is simply and ignobly dispatched by an Apprentice, who in turn, is made Master without the benefits of the prior Master's learnings

The apprentice learns from the master till he deems himself his master's better, then if he is indeed better then he will have "improved" on the leadership within the alliance itself.

Indeed, we find that Sith ideology follows a logical and rational progression, that however, has at its core a false premise: passion!" I said, almost yelling, triumphantly. "There is no passion in Francoism, but passion for Francoism: it this irrational worship of passion that demonstrates, ultimately, that the Sith are not Francoist

Thanks for proving we arent Franocist. ;) , Thats pretty much all actually.

The Code cannot change! The Sith do not allow it to change!

The code itself doesnt change, it doesnt need to, the code says that to remain as a force, the sith must constantly change themselves. In simple terms, the code is what gives the sith its adaptibility. The code is a guiding set of beliefs which are to act as nothing more than exactly that, a guide which is far different from an ideology...

The Sith embrace failed traditions. The Rule of Two is a dogma, but it has led them to being nearly wiped out, as when Darth Sidious and banned member were destroyed

It also led them to it's greatest glory, the Restoration of the Empire. All empires come and go, but what matters is survival against all odds..

PS:, if this is an april's fool joke...which it probably is <_<

Edited by Lycurgus Rex

Your entire argument rests on one pivotal statement: "There is no passion in Francoism, but passion for Francoism"

You built an elaborate pyramid of... something.... except the tip of your pyramid is that statement, and you built your pyramid upside down.

The word play might have sounded cool in your head when you first thought of it -- it certainly is catchy -- but it can't support your upside-down pyramid. Not to mention that NSO doesn't care, which kinda renders the whole argument null and void, wouldn't you say?

I can't tell whether this is a joke or not.

Francoism is so generalized as to be an almost meaningless "ideology" anyway. It's an extremely long winded way of saying that everything they do is in their self interest. Everything beyond that is just trying to figure out what exactly is in their self interest.

I can't tell whether this is a joke or not.

Francoism is so generalized as to be an almost meaningless "ideology" anyway. It's an extremely long winded way of saying that everything they do is in their self interest. Everything beyond that is just trying to figure out what exactly is in their self interest.

Finally.. finally I actually know what francoism is.

I mean.. I tried asking people and nobody could tell me, I tried reading those essays by vladimir but he uses way to many Alliterations when trying to get a point across and it ends up sounding like lyrics for some weird song.

Finally.

I mean.. I tried asking people and nobody could tell me, I tried reading those essays by vladimir but he uses way to many Alliterations when trying to get a point across and it ends up sounding like lyrics for some weird song.

Finally.

Reading is hard. I understand this, comrade, for I too, have "tried" reading much. I did also, however, succeed.

Finally.

I'll have to say I'm with you on this one, my friend.

A definate ideological line in the sand has been drawn. The fact that it was necessary to make this statement to the Body says much.

Once again, poor Jarheads.

Beyond all that though, thank you for sharing Cortath.

I'd like to see an answer to the basic question:

"Why does it matter?"

That is actually a very easy question to answer. The difficult part is getting those you wish to answer such to actually do it.

A definate ideological line in the sand has been drawn. The fact that it was necessary to make this statement to the Body says much.

Once again, poor Jarheads.

Beyond all that though, thank you for sharing Cortath.

Really? For an "independent thinker," you don't get dates very well.

It amuses me that people are taking this tongue-in-cheek piece seriously, far more than the piece ever could amuse me on its own.

Edited by Cortath