In Response to Mr. Brookbank

BamaBuc

EZI is most certainly an OOC attack. You are going beyond the character of the original nation and destroying EVERY character that the OOC player makes by using out of game resources (IP searches, IRC chat logs, forum posts, etc) to find the player behind the character.

Destroying someone's nation (IE IC persona) is a comepletely different animal than cyber stalking them based on their IP address to keep them from playing ANY character.

I would like to see all of the major alliances or even the admin/game staff put a stop to this practice once and for all.

start a petition to admin. I'll sign.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EZI is most certainly an OOC attack. You are going beyond the character of the original nation and destroying EVERY character that the OOC player makes by using out of game resources (IP searches, IRC chat logs, forum posts, etc) to find the player behind the character.

Destroying someone's nation (IE IC persona) is a comepletely different animal than cyber stalking them based on their IP address to keep them from playing ANY character.

I would like to see all of the major alliances or even the admin/game staff put a stop to this practice once and for all.

Again, while I'm against EZI, that is not the subject I this thread. Jonathan's comments on IRON are.

-Bama

It's hilarious how you can say somebody's interpretation is wrong. An interpretation is just that--an interpretation. Perhaps we should have accepted Fin's insistence that he only wanted JB never to play the game again rather than him dead in real life as an apology or some sort of explanation of his statement and moved on. If that was how JB saw it then that was how he saw it. It's Fin's fault for saying it, and JB's fault for feeling as if Fin didn't like him very much. TO THE MAX.

Overall, cool story brah. No need for a discussion here, move along.

So I should not express my views because of things outside my control? Tbh I hope they allow that thread, but either way I'm not going to let someone slander a friend's OOC character.

-Bama

Good point. If it was an OOC attack and against the rules, then it shouldn't have been posted in the first place but you still have every right to respond to it.

Secondly, your allegation against Finster is pitiful. How in the world did you get an OOC death threat from that? Anyone with half a brain can see that he's talking about wanting the CN character known as Jonathan Brookbank dead, not the real life person of the same name. This is a disgusting attack on Finster's OOC character. You were willing to go so far as to falsely accuse him of wanting you dead in real life in order to vilify him in a game. That is slander. Slander against not his IC persona, but his OOC, real life one. You sicken me. If someone dug up a quote of you saying "I want the NPO dead" and Moo said "See, he wants to kill us all IRL!", you would have said "WTF, I was talking about the game, not real life! This is slander!" And you would have been right. It would be slander. But I guess it's okay when you do it. Starfox, I can't believe you agreed to post that. I thought you were opposed to OOC attacks, but here you are an accessory to one! It's really quite sad to see how far some are willing to go in order to demonize their video game foes.

That, kind sir, is open to interpretation. Finster wished Jonathan Brookbank to die. Take it as you will.

[00:33] <&Shamedmonkey> Bob

[00:33] <&Shamedmonkey> I want you dead.

In all honesty, I've said things a thousand times worse if taken out of context than what FinsterBaby said to JB...I lol'd hard at that part of the post Starfox made for JB.

Again, while I'm against EZI, that is not the subject I this thread. Jonathan's comments on IRON are.

-Bama

While I would not see what JB did as an OOC attack the actions of the IRON council I would. And Finster was certainly rude if he dident commit an OOC attack.

And JB has no nation under that name so what did he want dead :ph34r:

[00:33] <&Shamedmonkey> Bob

[00:33] <&Shamedmonkey> I want you dead.

In all honesty, I've said things a thousand times worse if taken out of context than what FinsterBaby said to JB...I lol'd hard at that part of the post Starfox made for JB.

For me?

You shouldn't have.

I'm not certain, but there is indeed a paragraph where admin chimed in on his belief for EZI.

I disagree, but it's part of the ToS. I'll try to dig it up.

And here it is.

Here’s my opinion on the issue. If I had a regular account in the game and my nation got nuked by a rogue who just as quickly as they clicked the launch button for the nuke got deleted by game moderation for some nasty language in their nation bio so that I personally couldn’t retaliate I’d be pretty pissed off and I’d make sure that if that person re-rolled I’d get my revenge. The good thing for me is that a lot of people aren’t so good at hiding their identity and either by way of the player using the same account names or by way of watching them follow the same alliance paths and posting trends its not hard to catch up with someone without resorting to doing anything stalking/illegal/harassing. If there was a policy in place based on what some of you are suggesting my retaliation against this player might be regarded as harassment which is just ridiculous. Of course if we see something illegal taking place we’ll review the situation but there is no way to create a policy on what would amount to stifling game play like my example above and forcing the game staff to interfere in endless grey areas and he-said-she-said situations that we have no business getting involved in.

And, since this is my opinion this is the official opinion so I’ll close this now.

EDIT: Credit goes to Jaym for finding it for me :D

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?s...st&p=809053

Edited by MegaAros

That, kind sir, is open to interpretation. Finster wished Jonathan Brookbank to die. Take it as you will.

You know as well as I do that those types of things are said in games all the time. imagine if everyone who said "I'm gonna kill you" in, say, CoD4 was labeled as an OOC attacker. Most of us would agree that it was meant in the context of the game. It's equally obvious here.

-Bama

You know as well as I do that those types of things are said in games all the time. imagine if everyone who said "I'm gonna kill you" in, say, CoD4 was labeled as an OOC attacker. Most of us would agree that it was meant in the context of the game. It's equally obvious here.

-Bama

And to the fact JB has no nation. I dont know how much more dead you can get IC

Everyone who has used the term "OOC Attack" needs to stop. Look at what you're writing. Then realize that this kind of hysterics is why "OOC Attack" has lost absolutely all meaning.

Edited by bigwoody

While I would not see what JB did as an OOC attack the actions of the IRON council I would. And Finster was certainly rude if he dident commit an OOC attack.

And JB has no nation under that name so what did he want dead :ph34r:

So libel is not an OOC attack now?

He wanted JB's nation dead should JB ever reroll. Was that wrong? Sure. But an RL death threat? No.

-Bama

Everyone who has used the term "OOC Attack" needs to stop. Look at what you're writing. Then realize that this kind of hysterics is why "OOC Attack" has lost absolutely all meaning.

It never had any meaning. OOC cannot be used to justify IC actions. Ever.

Well Bama, you're being over dramatic as well. As far as I remember, Brookbank never said Finster made a occ death threat, only that Finster wished him dead in RL. While I agree with you that Finster most likely didn't mean it in that way, I do see that such a claim is viable given that Finster said:

[22:07] <FinsterBaby[iRON]> You're scum, we don't like you, we want you dead.

Since this was in the context of an EZI sentence, and not Brookbank's character, it's clear that the first two statements should be interpreted as OOC. Because I personally could never get so involved in a game, I have a hard time believing that the third one was OOC, but I don't think it's too far a stretch to assume it. At the very least, IC and OOC was mixed in one sentence, which was bound to be confusing or exploited.

You may be right, but I dunno another word for it. He falsely accused someone of wanting him dead in real life, in order to vilify that person in a game. I dunno how else to put it.

-Bama

You may be right, but I dunno another word for it. He falsely accused someone of wanting him dead in real life, in order to vilify that person in a game. I dunno how else to put it.

-Bama

And what he did is bad. Now don't give one shameful turn another by feeding it attention.

Well Bama, you're being over dramatic as well. As far as I remember, Brookbank never said Finster made a occ death threat, only that Finster wished him dead in RL. While I agree with you that Finster most likely didn't mean it in that way, I do see that such a claim is viable given that Finster said:

Since this was in the context of an EZI sentence, and not Brookbank's character, it's clear that the first two statements should be interpreted as OOC. Because I personally could never get so involved in a game, I have a hard time believing that the third one was OOC, but I don't think it's too far a stretch to assume it. At the very least, IC and OOC was mixed in one sentence, which was bound to be confusing or exploited.

He did use the phrase "real life death threats".

Whether it was about JB's actual IC character or about any future iterations of him, it's still not a real life death threat.

-Bama

The funniest part about this whole thing is is that IRON is one of the few alliances in this game that has an ideology that they stick to, and it's always with IRON's interests at heart.

Edited by Sithis

And what he did is bad. Now don't give one shameful turn another by feeding it attention.

I speak my mind and I stick up for my friends. Overused the term may be, but it is what it is. He committed libel against Fin's OOC persona.

-Bama

He did use the phrase "real life death threats".

Whether it was about JB's actual IC character or about any future iterations of him, it's still not a real life death threat.

-Bama

No he didn't.

FinsterBaby, an IRON Council member - After attempting to talk to him regarding my status on their banned players list, FinsterBaby went so far to say that he wanted me to die...an in character hatred that, for him, apparently has grown to include real life death wishes.

Edit: Added Bama-quote

Edited by Sebastian