CNRP OOC Thread

Stormcrow

[quote name='Vedran' date='02 July 2010 - 10:47 AM' timestamp='1278092844' post='2357884']
And this time machine is like a reverse time capsule? What if the future you dies and someone else gains possession of the machine, and they send you information that can allegedly help you but in reality following the instructions has disastrous results? For example, I take over the world and use the machine to send back information that would create the conditions for me to take over the world in the first place. Time paradox.
[/quote]

Naturally the time machine would be in a secure location and I would have time to send a message back to warn my past self of it potentially falling into the wrong hands. But seeing as my present self would have foresight into every event, there's no way you could get close.

Obviously I'm not serious about this and only trying to prove a point. Using future technology or technologies in development is extremely problematic. This time machine is actually being built: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRWwI61so5Q

And paradoxes are easily resolved through parallel universes. :smug:

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was pretty sure you weren't serious about the time machine. Wasn't quite sure if you intended on actually making the UFOs though to poke holes in the "if-it's-been-made-you-can-use-it" rule.

[quote name='HHAYD' date='02 July 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1278093662' post='2357891']
No, you can not attach a tank on it unless if you make it cover 4 square km and connected to a thick power cable, which would be begging the enemies to shoot it down or cut the power line.[/quote]

Awesome, I never considered attaching a [i]tank[/i] to it. That would be amazing and go perfectly with the AA I've attached to [i]everything[/i] and the nuclear puppy suicide bombers.

[quote name='Vedran' date='02 July 2010 - 11:23 AM' timestamp='1278094987' post='2357908']
Yeah, I was pretty sure you weren't serious about the time machine. Wasn't quite sure if you intended on actually making the UFOs though to poke holes in the "if-it's-been-made-you-can-use-it" rule.
[/quote]

Only existing technology that is being used in the field is what I'd like to see around here.

How effective would Active Denial System (aka Massive Pain Ray), PHASR (aka Crowd-Blinding Rifle), and weaponized Pulsed Energy Projectile (toned up to the point where it can kill people) be if they were used in a border defense?

[quote name='Ryan Milley' date='02 July 2010 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1278100039' post='2357989']
OOC:It that the way it works around here? Everyone ganging up on the new guy until he quits so that your fictional world can be populated by a bunch of losers?
[/quote]

No one is ganging up on you, and people ask tough questions ICly. That is how the world works, be prepared for tough IC questions and people ready to destroy your credibility.

[quote name='Sal Paradise' date='02 July 2010 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1278101300' post='2358004']
Ease up on the noobs, guys. Guy wants to RP an authoritarian nation, at least let him establish himself before you start ruining his !@#$. It's not like he's interfering in anyone's affairs.
[/quote]

ding ding ding

[quote name='HHAYD' date='02 July 2010 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1278099967' post='2357988']
How effective would Active Denial System (aka Massive Pain Ray), PHASR (aka Crowd-Blinding Rifle), and weaponized Pulsed Energy Projectile (toned up to the point where it can kill people) be if they were used in a border defense?
[/quote]

It would depend on the terrain, wooded or broken ground would render your energy beams and pain rays useless since the beams would be broken up and scattered by the terrain. You could use them, but I would think given their size it would just be easier to use traditional weapons. I hope you arent trying to create a maginot line around your entire country, because that is prohibitively costly, especially if you are using those experimental energy weapons you list.

[quote name='Sal Paradise' date='02 July 2010 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1278101300' post='2358004']
Ease up on the noobs, guys. Guy wants to RP an authoritarian nation, at least let him establish himself before you start ruining his !@#$. It's not like he's interfering in anyone's affairs.
[/quote]
Is anyone attacking him in an OOC manner?

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='02 July 2010 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1278104553' post='2358070']
Is anyone attacking him in an OOC manner?
[/quote]

I would suggest just reading the thread in question yourself, its only 2 pages

[quote name='The Flying Scotsman' date='02 July 2010 - 03:35 PM' timestamp='1278102895' post='2358035']
It would depend on the terrain, wooded or broken ground would render your energy beams and pain rays useless since the beams would be broken up and scattered by the terrain. You could use them, but I would think given their size it would just be easier to use traditional weapons. I hope you arent trying to create a maginot line around your entire country, because that is prohibitively costly, especially if you are using those experimental energy weapons you list.
[/quote]
Nah, just enough to demoralize invaders (watching 20 of your friends get snagged on bear traps and left to die...) and to show that GLP is not a teddy bear.

[quote name='The Flying Scotsman' date='02 July 2010 - 02:05 PM' timestamp='1278104693' post='2358071']
I would suggest just reading the thread in question yourself, its only 2 pages
[/quote]
Which thread specifically? I have a lot to catch up on.

And I was making more of a rhetorical point...unless he actually is being attacked in an OOC manner.

[quote name='HHAYD' date='02 July 2010 - 02:15 PM' timestamp='1278105309' post='2358077']
Nah, just enough to demoralize invaders (watching 20 of your friends get snagged on bear traps and left to die...) and to show that GLP is not a teddy bear.
[/quote]
That pun deliberate? :P

In regards to bear traps.
use anti personel mines.
they are designed to take a leg off for one reason.
EG

10 man squad, man 1 gets blown up and loses a leg from a mine.
it will take four men to move him safely etc to keep him covered and stuff.

bringing the squad down to five men.
AP mines arn t designed to kill, theyre designed to maime.

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' date='02 July 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1278121819' post='2358284']
In regards to bear traps.
use anti personel mines.
they are designed to take a leg off for one reason.
EG

10 man squad, man 1 gets blown up and loses a leg from a mine.
it will take four men to move him safely etc to keep him covered and stuff.

bringing the squad down to five men.
AP mines arn t designed to kill, theyre designed to maime.
[/quote]
Bear traps:

10 man squad, one man is snared on a bear trap and the only way to free him is to saw off the bear trap or the shattered leg. Both are time consuming and the longer a person saws, the more likely he will get shot upon. Then you would need another person to restart the sawing. Its either risk a person's life freeing a trapped person or move on, ditching the trapped comrade. Both choices would demoralize the squad. Eventually the snared person bleeds to death which would further demoralize the surrounding comrades.

Plus, vehicle drivers would have to drive around snared comrades. Running over your own buddies is a no-no.

Edited by HHAYD

Don't want to interrupt, but can someone mark a very tiny dot of Antartica land as UIRZ and give the image to me? If you can make it near the ocean and isolated for the sake of the rp to come with it that would be great. =D

Edited by Fizzydog

To discourage soldiers from shooting the bear traps off, would it be possible to stick in a very thin strip of explosives sandwiched between two metal bands that form the teeth (the part that holds onto someone's leg)? Sawing, burning, or shooting that part would ignite the explosive layer, which would blow the snared person's leg into two and send shrapnel flying everywhere. The only way to disarm the bear trap would be sawing the thick joints (shoot it and it will become warped, making it much harder to disarm the bear trap, melt it and ignite the explosives).

EDIT: Only half of the bear traps would be explosive rigged.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='Sal Paradise' date='03 July 2010 - 01:57 AM' timestamp='1278140255' post='2358536']
So HHAYD, I won a spyroll to gather information about your defenses. So I need you to tell me what they are and where they are, at least in Alberta and Saskatchewan.
[/quote]
Eastern region: GLP-Disparu/Republic of York/USA

Notes: None of them are located on the shorelines, but there are many anti-ship/aircraft defenses scattered close to the shorelines.

Rest of the borders are open but are guarded by border patrols and surveillance cameras.
---
Western region: GLP-Republic of Tahoe

Notes: Most of the defenses are built into the mountains. The No Man's land will be around the bottom of the mountains, valleys, and choke points. Heaviest defenses concentration are located around the choke point area.

Rest of the borders: Same thing as the eastern region's open borders.
--
If you aren't going to RP any spy attempt, then this would be the only things that your country would know using satellite:

Frontal bunkers:

Rear bunkers:

Cannon field:

Artillery:

Missile launcher field:

AA field:

Fortified towers:

And in the mountains...

Construction activity, completed defenses are always concealed.

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='02 July 2010 - 04:22 PM' timestamp='1278105723' post='2358083']
That pun deliberate? :P
[/quote]
Yes. Some people think GLP is a teddy bear they can hug, squeeze, and toss around. I want to remind them that GLP is a teddy bear that have bared wires and a Africanized bees' hive inside.

Edited by HHAYD

I'm going to RP sending agents into our shared border. I don't think you should need spy rolls for satellites (it's not like you can stop them really) but whatever, I can live with that. I was going to RP learning how that MDS is pumped into no man's land, and (before it became something well known) what it was made of. But since you're not using it anymore, I really don't have much to RP that satellites couldn't figure out, except bear traps...? (seriously dude, go with landmines ;) )

That's odd though because I expected you to have these defenses, or at least were building them, along your prairie borders. Having driven through the Canadian Rockies more times than I can remember, how you could build that kind of defense along that border I have no idea. But since that's your Tahoe border, they can shall shens. :P

It seems like it is generally a rule that one shouldn't RP wars (or anything else) for OOC reasons. Well, I think my nation has an IC reason for police action in Alberta and Saskatchewan, but OOC I don't really want to go through the problem of RPing war (it seems incredibly tedious to me). So I'm not going to war for OOC reasons; As such, in the interests of consistency, I think HHAYD should demand from the GM's that I declare on him. :v:

Furthermore, OOC I don't want to gain any more territory because land seems useless to me. If my nation strength is based on my IG nation, even if I took over all of North America, it wouldn't change anything. All it would do is stretch my resources over more territory I had to depend, and I wouldn't be able to use that extra land (it's people and resources) to create a stronger military. But my lack of territorial ambition is OOC, which is a no no; shouldn't the GMs demand I start declaring on my weaker neighbours?

[quote name='Fizzydog' date='02 July 2010 - 11:03 PM' timestamp='1278136974' post='2358500']
Don't want to interrupt, but can someone mark a very tiny dot of Antartica land as UIRZ and give the image to me? If you can make it near the ocean and isolated for the sake of the rp to come with it that would be great. =D
[/quote]

[IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/iKrolm/Antartica3.png[/IMG]

[quote name='Sal Paradise' date='03 July 2010 - 02:12 PM' timestamp='1278184321' post='2358845']
I'm going to RP sending agents into our shared border. I don't think you should need spy rolls for satellites (it's not like you can stop them really) but whatever, I can live with that. I was going to RP learning how that MDS is pumped into no man's land, and (before it became something well known) what it was made of. But since you're not using it anymore, I really don't have much to RP that satellites couldn't figure out, except bear traps...? (seriously dude, go with landmines ;) )

That's odd though because I expected you to have these defenses, or at least were building them, along your prairie borders. Having driven through the Canadian Rockies more times than I can remember, how you could build that kind of defense along that border I have no idea. But since that's your Tahoe border, they can shall shens. :P
[/quote]
For MDS, I do plan on using them, using mobile high pressure pumps with a hose inside the frontal bunkers and artillery guns. Anyone that gets too close would receive a harsh spray to the face. Even if the pumps are blown, there are still artillery guns. After spraying enough MSD, I would only have to pump in water since the MSD is water-based.

Now if you want to know what traps are rigged in the No Man's land, you would have to sacrifice one of your agents, pray he/she doesn't step on a mine, get spotted, and then get freed in one piece without a gaping hole in the head after getting snagged on a bear trap. Or, you can find and bribe someone who knows about the details of the defense, assuming that person doesn't turn in your agent to GLP's National Police Agency.

As for the mountain area, all of the defenses are built into the mountains. Bunkers go on the sides and Artillery guns, sniper nests, AAs, AMs, etc go on top. No Man's land is on the lower parts of the mountain and mountain passes. Heaviest concentration of firepower and traps are located close or next to the mountain passes.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' date='03 July 2010 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1278191856' post='2358969']
For MDS, I do plan on using them, using mobile high pressure pumps with a hose inside the frontal bunkers and artillery guns. Anyone that gets too close would receive a harsh spray to the face. Even if the pumps are blown, there are still artillery guns. After spraying enough MSD, I would only have to pump in water since the MSD is water-based.

Now if you want to know what traps are rigged in the No Man's land, you would have to sacrifice one of your agents, pray he/she doesn't step on a mine, get spotted, and then get freed in one piece without a gaping hole in the head after getting snagged on a bear trap.[/quote]

I'm not going to say "aha! I found out everything" but seriously, I don't have to walk out into no man's land to find out you have traps there. All I have to do is find the plans somewhere, ask a loose-lipped soldier or hack into a military database.

I assume that you don't have this MDS system operational now. Like I said, I'm not going to say I found everything, but at least let me know everything I [i]can[/i] find.

[quote]As for the mountain area, all of the defenses are built into the mountains. Bunkers go on the sides and Artillery guns, sniper nests, AAs, AMs, etc go on top. No Man's land is on the lower parts of the mountain and mountain passes. Heaviest concentration of firepower and traps are located close or next to the mountain passes.[/quote]

OK, what are you going to do about elephants though?

[quote name='Sal Paradise' date='03 July 2010 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1278194463' post='2359012']
I'm not going to say "aha! I found out everything" but seriously, I don't have to walk out into no man's land to find out you have traps there. All I have to do is find the plans somewhere, ask a loose-lipped soldier or hack into a military database.

I assume that you don't have this MDS system operational now. Like I said, I'm not going to say I found everything, but at least let me know everything I [i]can[/i] find.

OK, what are you going to do about elephants though?
[/quote]
Not yet, the water pipes haven't been laid yet.

Elephants? What elephants? They aren't native to the Rockey Mountains.