The League of Nations

Captain Enema

"One percent of total land area could be a bit silly for some of us. I would recommend an upper cap on the max size any nation is required to contribute. Refugees do need adequate living space but 1% of an entire country seems a bit extreme. It's almost like giving them their own country in some instances. Druk Yul would be up to contributing up to a maximum of 10 square miles. That's enough to put a small city in. It could literally handle millions if properly set up. We'd even give the location its own municipality able to represent the refugees it picks up and pick an ideal site for it with good water and food access."

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The 1% figure was probably intended to average sized nations, ones like yours or mine have a lot more land than most, I can agree with your opinion but having more input before making edits would be a good idea. I would also like to have the Hague and Geneva conventions officially restored among League nations."

"We will sign the Geneva convetions. We'll sign the Geneva Protocols with reservations 1,2, and 4 noted for our signature. We'll also ratify Hague 1907 articles 1-11, and 13. Twelve and 14 we will not ratify. It'd have to be something discussed at length with other signatories."

"Does anyone have a hard copy of the Geneva and Hague Conventions? As you all know, things in the Kingdom's past before its current revival was not all fun and games and as such we have no copies of these institutions."

"With regards to the proposal set forward by King Gregory, it seems adequate but I feel that revising the need for meditation to be as such: "In the case of two parties within the League of Nations be on a path towards conflict, either parties or a third party within the League can call for mediation, upon which a fourth party mediator will be mutually agreed to by all to mediate between the two original parties and hopefully come to a diplomatic resolution between the two."

"I do hope that the clause as drafted by I seems adequate enough and will most likely see change till everyone is content with the clause."

"Malta will not be signing either the Hague or Geneva conventions. What treaties we sign, will come directly from the creativity and hard work of this group. There are articles of those treaties we find commendable, but as a whole the organizations that those treaties came to represent something we want no part of. Malta has no nuclear weapons and as is such has no interest in dictating defensive policy to other nations, but we are open to signing any document on nuclear proliferation that is created through discussion within this body. The White Cross treaty is acceptable to us though we understand the concerns of Druk Yul. Perhaps the wording could be changed to 'up to but not limited to 1%'."

ooc- no, I'm going to sign onto irl treaties. I saw how much of a clusterjumble that was in cnrp1 with people pulling weird articles of whatever out their rumps.

The Empress would slide over a tablet with the Geneva and Hague Conventions uploaded onto it. "Although perhaps simplier wording would be more applicable, this is a new day and holding onto the treaties of old may be in bad form as the Maltese King suggests."

Edited by Mogar

"We wish the league to know that regardless of the intent of others to sign or not to sign the hague treaty, geneva convetions or protocols.. that we intend to abide by the articles we have named whether or not others participate. We consider many of the items described therein as a code of responsible behavior for modern nations at war and that the articles so defined add benefit to us all. So if we must lead unilaterally in the conduct of ethical war to be an example, we shall, even if the costs imposed upon us for this humane conduct is significant."

The King would discretely wave away the waiters and dismiss them for the night. With that the trays and trolleys laden with a variety of liquors of all sorts would be quietly taken from the room and large urns of coffee and tea brought in their place. With them would come trays of snacks and pastries. 

"Malta finds war of any sort to be the exact opposite of ethical. However, even in the most bestial moment of mankind, we must comport ourselves in a certain way, we may well be acting like animals when we go to war, but we shouldn't permanently descend to that level. Perhaps Druk Yul could list what it feels is civilized behavior in our most uncivilized moment?"

"I believe we did when I outlined the conventions, articles, and reservations we were ratifying. Simply put, the work has already be done. The ground work already laid. I feel no need for another document where one already exists. Feel free to have your lawyers read their history book. Alternatively, the Druk Search and Drukopedia sites I'm sure have copies of them stored for historic record. I can't think of a single lawyer in Druk Yul that has passed his or her bar exam without knowing something about these historic items. Who knows, you might even learn something. Besides, if I drafted a new document, you'd have to read it too. It may be felt that I have implied the delegations to this meeting are lazy, if so, I apologize.. it is not my intent, it's just a statement of our stance on the matter."

"I see tempers are rising a bit. It has been a long day. I'm calling a recess until tomorrow morning. You are all welcome to join me for a late dinner if you wish," the King said as he left the room followed by his guards. The cleaning staff would then enter the room and start removing the coffee, tea, and pastries. They would then bring vacuum cleaners and other cleaning equipment. It would very quickly become very noisy with the sounds of domestic chores taking place as the dozen or so Maltese workers went about their work. 

ooc, this is where it gets fun.

I suggest some of you take the chance to meet icly with your buddies to create what support you need for the documents you would like and all that. 

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/125041-cnrpa-private-conversation-thread/ is here if you'd like to use it. 

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

Private (Between Mogar and I)

Dražen Cižek would sometimes question his own sanity in his approach of things but frankly, holding to relics of documents from the old world in a time that was radically different was simply laziness of the highest order, especially after the world had gone through such a terrible global war that had ended in the way it did. Starting fresh and anew would be the way to go, for the world and for the Kingdom and it was why he approached the Empress of the Eastern Asian Imperium, being mindful of any guards if he had to respect any unmentioned lines of procedures.

"Good evening, your majesty," he said before bowing deeply towards the Empress and their ally, "I hope you've had an enjoyable evening so far tonight."

She had been standing upon a balcony overlooking the harbor, the sound of the waves gently lapping against the place was quite relaxing, but she still wore a clearly bored expression on her face, a bit annoyed the fun was taken away too early. She had considered harassing Jeanne but figured they should take care of business before entertainment. Takako had already provided her with a flask containing Yoichi 20 Year Old Whisky. Noticing the Yugoslavian diplomat she quickly put it away, nodding respectfully as acknowledgement.

"I will be honest, these things bore me to tears, we will spend days debating over semantics." She said a smile upon her face, "I think we all share mostly the same idea of what we want, its just going to be a matter of getting everyone to realize that. I hope your nation is recovering well, we have been withdrawn as of late, restoring our own domain before looking outwards."

Edited by Mogar

The Empress popped the cork out of a bottle of 1800 Mourvèdre to have as she was walking out and about, keeping an eye out for Kazuko should she find her anywhere. She was saving the 1809 for the Yugoslavians if she happened to come across them, but for now simply strolled, minding her own business.

Edited by Shave N Haircut

The Councilor of Foreign Affairs smiled at the Empress, "It gladdens me and lifts my spirit to hear such things, your majesty, and indeed, we have been most successful in rebuilding the sections of our kingdom where war's desolate touch left its imprint on," he said in reply. "I'll admit the proceedings are amusing to see but while I prefer radically fresh and new documents, the words from Druk Yul's representative does have wisdom in them. At best, I believe that new documents using the ones from the old world order; where the USA, Russia and China vied for supremacy, as inspiration would be the best route in ensuring that the documents represent the current and accurate reality that we all live in."

Kazuko did not pretend that vying for supremacy was still likely on the minds of most nations, a reset political board meant that former allies could prove to be more of a hindrance than a help. "The Druk Yul are certainly wise, though it comes with age I suppose." She said, realizing that not all knew the truth there. "At least we are all in agreement on most of the subjects being discussed, I am hopeful that someone will have created a rough draft of the documents we seem to all agree that abolishing torture and nuclear weapons is the most logical choice for the first actions of this new world we have created with Yugoslavia serving as the spark."

"I am certain we will find things to disagree about as we continue on, but setting a base line for conduct in such good lines serves to prevent the travesties that happened in the last war. So long as the document contains language that prevents attacks against neutral nations, torture of non combatants, and of course removes nuclear weapons as an option in the calculus of war I will sign it.

[hr]

Takako was waiting for Jeanne with a warm smile, she did not have the pleasure of meeting her personally, but having been programmed with enough of Kazuko's personality she had a naturally positive opinion and was more than happy to do as asked and bring Jeanne to the Empress. She bowed upon Jeanne walking near, "Pardon me your majesty, but I have been asked to invite you to join Her Imperial Majesty, Empress Hoshiko."

Jeanne bowed in return, though it was much more shallow, as was befitting her station, "Lead on then, I don't know where she is or I'd already be with her right now." She briefly thinks about how, if at all, the newly proposed treaties might effect the way France conducted itself.

Dražen nodded upon her words, "Still, they did play their part in the war and the Kingdom is certainly grateful for their efforts and actions," the Councilor replied with before moving onto the topic of the document once more, "With regards to the new document, I am hopeful that the Kingdom can successfully vie for input in the rough draft or if need be, write up a rough draft on our own based on the former documents from the old world order."

The Councilor let out a soft yawn before pressing onward, "Disagreements and agreements are the very basis of diplomacy, so the Kingdom is not at all surprised by such nor would we decry disagreements as Druk Yul does have some logic in their words."

"We all paid our price... losing American security for the victory was a price far beyond what we had expected to pay, but even the best laid plans go to shit once bullets begin to fly, we eventually won the Atlantic enough to begin to bring in reinforcements to push the Tripartite out of Europe for good. Utter collapse was another surprise to us, but we will adapt, it's how we have survived to remain the oldest nation in the world, and I have no intentions of stopping our continued survival." 

She paused, looking down and nodding slightly as though replying to someone else, "I see us as the allies who had no Tehran Conference, we may share similar ideas on how war should be fought, I see many disagreements in what the maps should be finalized to look like, Northlands and Alvonia will likely have disagreements over German lands, France and the Swedes would also want a say in that potentially, Belarus and Russia will as well with Polish land. We may have vanquished our foes, but new ones will sprout up from former allies, as always happens with global events. It is reassuring to me that we all seem to agree on a more civilized conduct during war at the very least."

[hr]

Walking through the spacious Conference Center, she did as instructed, every so often taking a glance back, trying to hide her beaming, she was just as beautiful as She/Kazuko remembered, an the way she carried herself, it was easy to see why Kazuko had fallen for her. While Kazuko was not where she was originally, Takako would have no trouble locating her, and in a few moments lead her right to the conversation the Yugoslavian Foreign Minister and the Empress. "May I present, Her Imperial Majesty, Empress Jeanne of France."

"Councilor!" Jeanne says, acknowledging her lover first and foremost before offering the 1808 vintage to the Yugoslavian, "I've been looking for you, I wanted to present a gift to you, it's one of my finest."

She looks over at Kazuko, "And don't worry, I have something else for you, I simply didn't think it appropriate to carry around here."

Dražen smiled, both at the gift that the French Empress had bestowed upon him and to see some measure of friendly happiness having bloomed between two heads of states. "I thank you for the gift, Empress Jeanne. I am most certain that my Kralj shall enjoy it," he replied with as he held onto the bottle before glancing at the Japanese counterpart, "I would be most appreciative, your majesty, if I had support in introducing the mentioned rough drafts for the entirety of the League of Nations to read over, hopefully tomorrow in the morning when we've all reconvened for the summit."