The Bamako Conference

zzzptm

The Bamako Conference
9 March 2012

To the leaders of nations and alliances of the world:

The Cult of Justitia is organizing an international summit on diplomatic relationships in the Himynamistan city of Bamako during the month of March. We would be honored to have you attend this historic event.

Our world has been wracked, year in and year out, by conflicts that have dragged tangential or otherwise uninvested alliances to one side or another. While there are independent alliances that have escaped the ill winds of war, little or no framework exists for alliances to become independent or to disentangle themselves from the endless cycle of conflicts that have thus far engulfed the planet, while remaining allied to nations that would provide a support network to preserve sovereignty and mutual welfare. While we neither aim to nor even presume to be able to stop war, we do seek to initiate a dialogue between nations and alliances that can create a framework for a [b]new way of thinking[/b]. This we call "The Third Way."

Our goals for the Bamako Conference are simple, but bold: to raise awareness of the diverse global interests of members of our community, to promote international dialogue and exchange and, by doing so, to strengthen the Third Way movement internationally. [b]In short, to begin a renaissance of contemplative action.[/b]

The focus of the Bamako Conference will be the establishment of and agreement to certain basic principles that can serve as a foundation for future actions and agreements. Findings, conclusions and action plans resulting from our conference – and those to follow - will contribute directly to a formalization of the Third Way ideals.

We are proud to be part of an international movement to promote awareness and activism that will benefit our sovereign alliances and further the cause of international understanding and global [b]independence[/b]. We hope you will accept our invitation to attend, and join us in this effort.

Sincerely,
Zzzptm of Himynamistan
Apostolos of the Cult of Justitia

(link: http://forums.coj-cn.co.cc/index.php?board=60.0 and please do register at our forums to view the conference proceedings)

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1331334201' post='2936101']
I am all about contemplative action.
[/quote]

Sounds more like active contemplation.

Well, the thing is, people have to be ready for action. Like Ogaden said, "some of us are still recovering from the last one."

Anyway, I attacked the first principle because it goes against the vital instincts of the planet. Reluctance to fight is the worst thing ever.

A revaluation of all values: this question mark, so black, so huge that it casts a shadow over the man who puts it down — such a destiny of a task compels one to run into the sunlight at every opportunity to shake off a heavy, all-too-heavy seriousness. Every means is proper to do this; every "case" is a case of luck. Especially, war. War has always been the great wisdom of all spirits who have become too introspective, too profound; even in a wound there is the power to heal. A maxim, the origin of which I withhold from scholarly curiosity, has long been my motto:
Increscunt animi, virescit volnere virtus.
["The spirits increase, vigor grows through a wound."]

Edited by Roquentin

[quote name='Stonewall Jaxon' timestamp='1331385898' post='2936348']
Can you be so kind as to point out what this post pertains to?
[/quote]

Avoiding war. It's the first topic of discussion. You can read zzptm's thread about it on the forums. It's war as a last resort, which basically implies in most cases you wait until someone's knocking on your door or does something directly bad to you. I apologize if this sounded out of the blue to anyone else.

Edited by Roquentin

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1331386009' post='2936349']
Avoiding war. It's the first topic of discussion. You can read zzptm's thread about it on the forums. It's war as a last resort, which basically implies in most cases you wait until someone's knocking on your door or does something directly bad to you. I apologize if this sounded out of the blue to anyone else.
[/quote]

Well, this is what we're there for. Let's continue to discuss this in-depth on the forums, and hopefully this teaser will encourage greater participation from Bob-at-large

I'd like to join my Apostolos zzzptm in inviting and welcoming you all to the Bamako Conference. Discussion is the aim, [url="forums.coj-cn.co.cc"]Bamako[/url]is the venue, all comers are welcome.

[quote name='potato' timestamp='1331335573' post='2936113']
ur just doing it to harvest ips
[/quote]
Shucks, busted!

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1331358825' post='2936252']
Well, the thing is, people have to be ready for action. Like Ogaden said, "some of us are still recovering from the last one."

Anyway, I attacked the first principle because it goes against the vital instincts of the planet. Reluctance to fight is the worst thing ever.

A revaluation of all values: this question mark, so black, so huge that it casts a shadow over the man who puts it down — such a destiny of a task compels one to run into the sunlight at every opportunity to shake off a heavy, all-too-heavy seriousness. Every means is proper to do this; every "case" is a case of luck. Especially, war. War has always been the great wisdom of all spirits who have become too introspective, too profound; even in a wound there is the power to heal. A maxim, the origin of which I withhold from scholarly curiosity, has long been my motto:
Increscunt animi, virescit volnere virtus.
["The spirits increase, vigor grows through a wound."]
[/quote]
With all due respect, Roquentin, you're attempting to have a discussion with an audience that has no idea what you're talking about. Bamako has all the facilities necessary to host the talks and any who are interested are welcome to attend the talks in Bamako.

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1331392423' post='2936375']
I'd like to join my Apostolos zzzptm in inviting and welcoming you all to the Bamako Conference. Discussion is the aim, [url="forums.coj-cn.co.cc"]Bamako[/url]is the venue, all comers are welcome.

Shucks, busted!

With all due respect, Roquentin, you're attempting to have a discussion with an audience that has no idea what you're talking about. Bamako has all the facilities necessary to host the talks and any who are interested are welcome to attend the talks in Bamako.
[/quote]

Yes, Bamako. I already explained it.

And, to be sure, this is not a neutrality or peace conference. It's one dealing with the ideas behind true independence. We want to have peaceful intentions, but we won't be immobilized by some sort of arbitrary code. More to discuss, of course, at the conference itself.

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1331386009' post='2936349']
[/quote]

Zarathustra also said, 'power walks on crooked legs".

The paradox of an alliance being designated as an independent is that it is established, or at least upheld, not from within the alliance but from the outside world. We can say we're independent all we want but if a large enough faction decided that we aren't, any attempt to contest the issue is pointless. To that effect we've found the best path toward being seen the way we'd like is to leave others alone as best as possible, avoid any and all airs of superiority, and even then I'm sure we've offended some folks who haven't forgiven us yet. Short of pure neutrality whatever opinions you choose to adopt, whatever wars you choose to fight, no matter how "right" or no matter how "wrong", makes being seen as independent of the flows of the game all the harder. And it should.

Then again I'm not known for being some great sage of the game. But I see only one universal path which we all fall under, being too formidable or too damned likable to attack, or on the defensive. Therefore, making the insistence we're part of some new "third way" seems to push the idea that "independents" are far more original than I give us credit for.

Edited by PhysicsJunky

[quote name='Don Chele' timestamp='1331940358' post='2939075']
The conference has been well attended so far by members of many diverse alliances, including some you might not expect from a CoJ-hosted conference. All voices continue to be welcome, so check it out!
[/quote]

Very true and it would be great if even [b]more [/b]alliances would send representatives to at least check it out, whether they post or not. It's essentially an ongoing constructive (for real) debate around 4 sets of ideas, that are open for criticism and even amendment.

There already is a wide representation of opinions, but it would really help if it could be even wider. I know how most alliances feel about these types of things, but this one is worthwhile if only to read the range of opinions, to get a feel of some of the types of thinking presently going on out there in Greater CNlandia. You can even drop in your two cents, it's not like it's some secret conspiracy or backroom thing.

It's just regular people talking about how to make some things more interesting around here.

:awesome: