The Stahl Ball

Sarah Tintagyl

A specially-modified GulfStream IV (G-IV) jetliner descended upon Budapest, having flew a long way from the Corporate Republic of Noveria. When the aircraft, which was painted jet-black with a small Noverian flag on its tailfin, landed on the ground and taxied to a stop, its door opened and a small delegation of Elanus Risk Control Services guards responsible for personal safety filed out.

Finally, he stepped out and made his way down the airway to the ground, his polished shoes clacking on the tarmac. President J. Thomas Christopher took in the surrounding and frowned a bit for an instant as the temperate Budapest climate made him sweat a bit in his sleek suit. He was used to Noveria's cold weather, but he could get used to it.

As he was being transported to the Royal Palace along with his security detail, as he admired the view of Budapest, its historic and beautiful buildings, and busy people, President Christopher mused to himself that it was the first time he had ever set foot out of Noveria.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The night of the ball, Budapest would be brought to life in a spectacular arrangement that had not blessed the Hungarian state since the collapse of the dual-monarchy hundreds of years ago. Imperial Motorcades would be available for all elites arriving at the secondary capital's airport and civilians crowded around the streets to see the avenues of the city filled with limousines sporting flags from around the world. They waved and bowed at the foreigners coming from far off states as Grand Papua, neighboring leaders as the Martens, and others who Austria had negative relations with, such as the Bohemians. The foreign ministry too was working a proverbial overtime for the night and both Jessika Adler and Frederich Kant, while they would be attending did not expect to dance. Instead they would be fostering new relations with leaders and figures of notoriety from foreign nations, in addition to monitoring private talks between the Germans and Athenians. While the ball was being held to usher in the existence of Austria-Hungary, the Empress had given special instructions that the first diplomatic talks in order to get Europe back to normalcy would occur tonight.

As the guests would begin to arrive at the palace itself, they would be greeted by a line of Imperial Marines, clad in the red and blue uniforms of the Hungarian Hussars. Their curved sabers creating an archway for the foreign dignitaries to walk through as the soft melodies of chamber music echoed throughout the marble hallways of the palace. Inside, velvet carpets led towards the central ballroom, and guards stood along other hallways keeping the guests from wandering off into the palace, whether because of possible malicious intent or just to keep the Empress' privacy secure. In addition, all guests were checked upon entrance into the ball, one bodyguard was permitted to enter with a weapon, without exceptions, all other weapons would be confiscated and security handled by the Imperial Guard and local police departments. The Dalmatians were known for their ability to keep an area secure and stable, the Empress expected nothing less from the same police now wearing Austrian and Hungarian uniforms.

In the ballroom itself, Austrian and Hungarian flags wrapped around themselves as the smell of beef, lamb, pork, and broiled vegetables serpentined through the tables. The entire ballroom was filled with servants running between the kitchen, fixing glasses and silverware and creating the perfect environment for a celebration of this measure. The Imperial Table at the far end sat high on a platform, only for Theresia, her husband, sisters, and closest friends and extended family. Though her family was large enough that the Imperial Table nearly wrapped completely around the room, the other guests would be seated in the middle at other long tables, with their choice of wines, beers, liqueurs, and deserts.

From up in her private quarters, Theresia could hear the guests beginning to arrive and she sighed as she looked in the mirror. Her long orange gown reached to the floor, hiding amber stained shoes, decorated with daffodils and sunflowers. The frills of her gown were sewn as leaves on a string and Theresia's entire visage was in anticipation of the coming autumn. A large orange dyed rose was tightly placed behind her ear and complimented her blonde hair perfectly.

"You look marvelous, Theresia, why the sigh?" Said Angelika as she fixed the rose just perfectly so her sister shown in the sun.

"Nervous, that's all, have you seen the guest list? I didn't expect that number of people to show up. Almost every country in the world."

"And you're nervous?" The middle Hapsburg laughed. "If anything this just shows how successful your reign is, and how much you've made a mark on the world. After only a few months too. Then, once you get your fingers on the other historical lands of Austria, we'll hold balls there too. Bavaria, Venice, maybe even one day, Mexico City."

Theresia laughed and pushed Angelika's hand out of her face. "You little devil, trying to start a war. This is supposed to be a diplomatic ball, I won't have you go causing a war for the Empire."

"You're right," she smirked, "You do that on your own. A.E.I.O.U, Remember?" Angelika said as she interlocked her pinky finger with her sister's.

"How could I ever forget and we'll get to see Magda tonight too," Theresia sighed, "It's been too long and I've missed you both so much."

Then with a knock at the door, one of the chamber maids stuck her head through. "Empress, Princess, I apologize for bothering you both. But most of the guests have arrived, the Imperator thinks it best if you come downstairs."

The Empress nodded, "We'll be right down." Then when the maid was out of the room, Theresia and Angelika gave one last hug to each other before they disappeared beyond the wooden doors of their quarters and after the five minute walk through the palace, listened to the silence on the other side of the doors leading to the ballroom. The entire room seemed to grow quiet as one of the heralds hit his cane against the ground.

"Esteemed Leaders and Guests. It is my pleasure to present, your hostess for the evening, Her Imperial Majesty, Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary, Maria Theresia von Hapsburg."

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2naBrJIRfs&feature=related"]The Imperial Entrance[/url]

Theresia appeared on the balcony with Angelika at her side as she watched the legion of eyes look up at her. She blushed for a moment and then stepped forward, resting her dainty hands on the marble railing. "Foreign Leaders, Foreign Dignitaries, Neighbors, Nobles, Esteemed Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen. I would like to welcome you Budapest for this night of food, music, dance, and all around merry-making. Years ago, I doubt I would ever find myself standing here, not as an Empress, not in Budapest as part of the new nation of Austria-Hungary, and especially not without the seemingly endless chaos I have dealt with in the recent years of my life. This only goes to show that life has a funny way of working out and even when things are at their most grim, hope is not yet lost.

That hope for me rests on the shoulders of two men, who I am happy to say have arrived tonight." A servant brought over a wine glass as she raised it in the air. "I would like to start tonight with a toast. First, to my husband, Yuan Jia of the United Federation of the East who has always been at my side to show me that the world has not and will not end. Second and for tonight, the most important, to Jorhan Stahl, the Imperial Regent of the Empire of Dalmatia. Because of him and his Emperor, Michael Visari, we are here today celebrating Austria-Hungary. My dearest friends, Dalmatia will always have a friend through thick and thin, in Austria-Hungary and I count the Regent and his Emperor as my closest and most dependable friends.

To Dalmatia! To Austria-Hungary!" She toasted and threw back the wine.

"Now I welcome you all to stay for dinner and after, for dancing. Maestro! If you please!"

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X9LvC9WkkQ"]The Ball[/url]

Jia stood next to his wife. He was dressed in his field marshall's uniform, adorned with the special six star ranking accorded to Imperators and Executors within the Federation. To his side rested the sword Kusanagi, the blade restored while respecting historical craftsmanship. He found it an amusing nick nack to show at parties, as well as a pretty cool ceremonial piece.

Jia stood by his wife's side, opposite Angelika nodding in acknowledgement at her thanking him and then clapping for the band recognizing the Dalmatian officials. At the end of the toast he smiled, "You look beautiful tonight." he said to Theresia with a smile. "Shall we go down and greet the guests?" he asked offering her his arm, trying to get the formal traditions of European balls correct. In truth he had spent a quite a bit of time earlier in the day with the UFE embassy Charge D'Affairs trying to learn the customs, while not firing at the poor woman with an automatic rifle but was unsure.

Meanwhile Xuehua and Wei Hai both arrived at the ball, about ten minutes before Theresia's speech, Wei dressed in a black tuxedo with a solid black tie, in somewhat of a statement of his more humble routes but still acceptable for the occasion. Xuehua was wearing a sleeveless pale green dress with her hair worn back and up and white high healed shoes. Across her side was a yellow sash indicating her status as a member of the Imperial Family.

Both stood towards the front of the crowd assembled as Theresia gave her speech. The two then looked around. They would be seated at the Imperial Families table, but they hardly knew anyone here except for the Athenians and the Hapsburgs.

Wei darted his eyes around to identify people, as Xuehua, went straight for the hor d'oeuvres

[quote][b][Note to Maria Theresia of Austria][/b]

Your Highness,

It is most unfortunate, but neither I nor my brother Alexander will be able to attend the ball.
Both of us currently are in Von Braun, with no shuttle available to ferry us off Luna and to the planet.

To make up for this, we would like to invite you, your family and whoever else you'd like to bring for a week-long vacation with any destination in Ceylon being available, among them of course Von Braun, as well as the first operating habitats of Side 1. I haven't personally visited Habitats 1 and 2, but they're supposed to be quite beautiful.

With regards,
Laura Leclerc
CEO Sostra Holdings[/quote]

Edited by Lynneth

Director Frontino arrived late, due in part of having to deal with the situation near the border. General Garnier and his three ministers were right behind him, dressed in either parade uniforms or the finest suits and dress the Commonwealth could afford. The entrance of the Empress was not unnoticed by the Commonwealth attendees, and as the ministers attempted to find dance partners, Frontino and Garnier hung back a bit.

"Not one for dancing Frontino?"

"Not with the blasted situation on my plate."

"Frontino, this is a ball. Don't let the worries of the PRA get you down. Go find some girl to dance with, the Austrians have millions of them around."

"Fine. If you find one, have a drink with her for me, will you?"

Visari stood next to Jia, wearing his gray Imperial uniform. When his name was mentioned by the Empress, He, slightly, bowed his head in acceptance. At first, He wasn't used to the attention he was receiving, but he quickly adjusted to it. After the Empress delivered her address and the music began to play, he looked around for a familiar face, which he spotted in Jia.

He walked forward and reached out his hand to shake Jia's hand. "My friend, it has been awhile since we have seen one another. How is everything going? Besides marching the jackboot across Asia." Stahl chuckled.

Jia smirked, meeting his hand shake with a firm one of his own, "It is good to see you Imperial Regent, give my best to Comrade Visari. It is going well enough. The Zargathian Menace for now has been contained, I don't suspect those ass holes will be attempting to bring any fascist ideas to North East soon.

We've also been moving jackboots across North Africa lately. It seems Mogatopia has now collapsed, along with Sandherin, hopefully soon most of North Africa will be in TSI hands. I here your mobile off shore bases are coming along nicely. I look forward to their presence in the Pacific, to reinforce stability and order."

Mikhail showed up to the ball in a tuxedo featuring a long tailcoat, as is the new fashion in Marscurian Siberia. He was supposed to attend the party with Victoria Kismet, but unfortunately the poor woman went mad after hearing the news that Austria had returned to the monarchy, and she left the country immediately. Entering the ballroom, Mikhail couldn't help but find the whole thing [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=39509&view=findpost&p=2760927"]kind of familiar[/url]. He proceeded to the woman who he thought was Empress Maria Theresia (based solely off pictures, having never personally met a leader who wasn't from Asia). "Empress Theresia," he said, "I think you did a wonderful job in your diplomacy and reasoning with Dalmatia." Walking away with his head safely attached to his shoulders, Mikhail would seek out Jia, the one person he actually knew. He would stay far enough away to not disturb Jia's evening, but would remain close enough to convince everyone else at the party that he had friends.

Isabelle et Violaine arrived in Budapest just before the designated time of the beginning of the ball, taking a brief time to admire the sights of the culture-rich city as the motorcade made its way towards the palace. The streets were overflowing with people--it seemed all of the newly declared nation of Austria-Hungary had taken to the streets in celebration. [I]Truly, a magnificent show,[/I] et Violaine thought appreciatively as the entourage approached their destination. She was only more impressed as she exited the motorcade to enter the palace itself, striding forth below the arched roof formed by the sabres of the legendary Hussars and into the interior of the palace. She had never been one for the ornate grandeur of a palace, but et Violaine would admit that the seat of the Austrian Hungarian government was indeed a dazzling spectacle.

The Executive Director of the Northern Federation, having always been rather partial against dresses and skirts, had come wearing the same style of uniform she had donned in every public appearance since her designation as the leader of the newly born North American nation; the briery bristles of her short black hair, however, went unadorned by the peaked cap that usually topped the official outfit off. Looking around at the elabourate, lavish gowns that adorned many of the other female guests in attendance, et Violaine did feel slightly out of place--this was certainly a very different setting than was to be found in the Northern Federation.

Nevertheless she took in the proceedings, taking up a glass of wine as the Empress, the Imperator of the UFE at her side, spoke at the balcony overlooking the ball floor. She drank moderately of the wine glass in her hand at the toast, clapping lightly along with the rest of the foreign dignitaries as the Empress' words came to an end. She hung back for the moment, preferring not to dance for the moment, simply remaining seated. Executive Director et Violaine was utterly unfamiliar with anyone here, as the Northern Federation had yet to make significant international diplomatic ventures.

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' timestamp='1314573561' post='2790220']
we'll hold balls there too.
[/quote]
[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1314575393' post='2790250']
trying to get the formal traditions of European balls
[/quote]
OOC: I lol'd and I do not care how obscenely immature that makes me.

Dellion and his wife make a quiet entrance. The night isn't about either of them and good manners would indicate they maintain a polite presence and quietly participate in the festivities. "Dellion, you'll speak with only those who speak to you, until such a time you'll quietly sit with me off to the side."

"Yes dear, quite a lovely ballroom isn't it?" Dellion asks.

"Very, be sure comment upon it should we speak to the Empress," Rebecca orders.

"Yes dear," Dellion replies.

"What do you think of my dress?" Rebecca asks.

Suddenly a cold chill comes over Dellion. The sort of chill a man feels right before being marched in front of a firing squad. In the never ending war between the sexes the eternal weapon in the woman's arsenal being the forcing of the man to comment on her appearance. An answer lacking in sufficient conviction and purpose would invite a chilling effect into the relationship in which the man would only have himself for comfort for quite a time. The proper answer always brings great rewards.

'Great power brings great responsibility,' thinks Dellion as he struggles for an answer. Luckily, he's somewhat prepared as he expected such a question. Finally he says, "The public answer would be for me to say there is only one dress finer in the entire room and that is the Empress's dress." He moves closer and whispers into her ear and concludes, "But privately between you and me that dress reminds me what a damned lucky man I am to have you as a wife and it's clearly a vision of heaven amongst these poor contenders," and finishes with giving his wife a gentle peck on the cheek as she blushes.

"Dear, you've gotten better over the years I'll give you that, now go fetch us both a drink, later we'll dance, and maybe later after the ball we'll dance some more if you don't get too soused," Rebecca orders.

"Yes dear."

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

Chancellor Schräder had arrived in Budapest early, so he could meet Alaric at the airport and head to the ball in the same motorcade. Alaric flew in on his private Learjet from Wien about an hour and a half before the beginning of the ball, and was met on the tarmac by Sigismund, flanked by two Raiders dressed in civilian suits, and the Austrian convoy. Seeing the two hard-faced men beside the Chancellor, Alaric turned to the two uniformed SEKs that had accompanied him to Wien. Not wanting to bring so many people to the ball, he took a wad of Austrian money out of his pocket, counted out enough for a rental car, two hotel rooms, and a five-star restaurant, and handed it to the higher-ranking of the two, a captain, who raised his eyebrows at the sudden generosity. Alaric shrugged. "Be here at noon tomorrow. Don't get arrested." The captain grinned. and both of them saluted.

Alaric and Sigismund got into the back of the designated car with the two Raiders, who sat across from them, looking stoic. Alaric reached into his coat and pulled out a pair of cigars, handing one to Sigismund, cut his with a cigar cutter, which he also handed to Sigismund. "I bought these in Wien, I thought you'd like to try 'em."

"[i]Danke,[/i]" the chancellor grinned, clipping his cigar and handing the cutter back. Alaric lit it for him, then lit his. "So, how'd the meeting go?" Sigismund asked, cracking the window and blowing the smoke outside.

Alaric blew a couple of smoke rings. "Meh."
"Meh?"
"Meh."
"What happened?"
The king shrugged. "We met with the Austrian directors and some Germans, then there was a revolution, then some deposed Hapsburg Empress took over Austria, and we signed a trilateral pact."
Sigismund stared at him for a moment, cigar burning in his hand. "And that's just 'meh?'"

"Mhm," Alaric said, ashing his cigar out the window and sticking it in the corner of his mouth. "I think I've got a copy of the treaty somewhere." He adjusted his position in the seat and rummaged in his pockets, producing a folded up bit of paper, which he passed to Sigismund. He puffed on his cigar in silence while the chancellor read, looking from one Raider to another, aware that their expressions hadn't changed at all since he'd arrived; they were staring straight ahead, just over Sigismund and Alaric's heads, out the darkened back window.

"Looks alright to me," Schräder said, handing the copy back to Alaric.

"Mhm," Alaric said again, still watching the two Raiders, starting to get unnerved. The chancellor noticed.

"Ah, yes. Oberstleutnant Wolf Weiman-" The one across from Schräder. "-and Major Gunnar Kästner." The one across from Alaric. They both nodded, barely perceptibly, in turn.

"Do they...talk?" Alaric asked, raising an eyebrow.

"[i]Ja, meinen König[/i]," Oberstleutnant Weiman said, so unexpectedly that Alaric jumped, dropping ash from his cigar on the upholstery; Weiman had a a deep, calm, voice, with a faintly Bavarian accent. "But it is our job to watch, not speak."

"Well, at least move," the king said, brushing as much ash off the seat as he could. "And, you know, talk a little bit. Some people like statues for bodyguards. I don't. You're freaking me the $%&@ out."

"[i]Jawohl, meinen König,[/i]" Weiman replied, smiling for the first time. Major Kästner chuckled at their leader's profanity.

-----

The Kurlandic delegation arrived at the ball shortly before the Empress's speech and proceeded through the archway presented by the Austrian Marines' sabers; Major Kästner, at almost seven feet tall and walking off to the side of Alaric and Sigismund, had to duck to avoid getting an unwanted haircut. At the gate, Kästner somewhat reluctantly relinquished his service pistol to the guards so that Weiman could keep his. They took a seat together at one table in the corner, ordered drinks, and watched as the other dignitaries arrived. Weiman just had a water, but Sigismund, Alaric, and Kästner shared a bottle of scotch whiskey as they watched Theresia speak.

At the end of the speech, Sigismund and Alaric went to meet Theresia, leaving their guards to argue over what Major Kästner's drink limit should be. "Ah, Empress," Alaric said, smiling warmly and kissing her lightly on the hand; Schräder merely offered his hand to Theresia and Jia in turn, smiling politely. "[i]Wie geht es Ihnen?[/i] I trust that you have been well since last we met." He shifted his gaze over to Jia and extended his hand. "And you must be Imperator Jia. A pleasure to meet you, sir."

After the arrival of the train they had traveled on early in the afternoon, Amyante, her Royal Secretary Rebecca Célentin and Zargathian Army captain Larissa Orlov walked onto the railway platform, looking around for the members of the Imperial Guard that were to be her [i]chaperones[/i] for the evening. The three of them arrived in their regular clothing, which for Larissa meant the standard military uniform, and all three had the clothes they would be wearing with them in their baggage. They had booked a hotel for the day, and would be preparing for the Ball from there.

Once at the Ball, Amyante would wear a dress that blended lighter and darker shades of blue and turquoise, decorated with gems of which each had the Coat of Arms of her family carved into them. Though the urge was great to wear Zargathia's national colors of red and gold, but the symbolism of these colors was different in western countries than it was in eastern ones, so to prevent misunderstandings she simply kept it restricted to a small amber stone used to keep her hair up. Rebecca didn't seem to feel such restrictions, and wore a red china dress with fine golden embroidery of the mythological phoenix along the sleeves and an equally golden hem. Larissa was simply wearing her gala uniform for the occasion, including aiguilettes, cuffs and the ribbons and badges she had earned during her years of service.

Once having entered the room upon being announced, the three of them mingled with the other guests, until such a time that the Empress descended down the stairs to greet her guests and propose the opening toast. The choice of music was something she found slightly surprising, a little too fast paced for the occasion perhaps, but even though she could at the moment not recall the composer she supposed he would have a link to the nation they were celebrating the recreation of. Though she had mixed feelings about some of the people it was aimed at, she believed herself better than to bring grievances with Theresia's husband to a celebration that did not revolve around him. Regardless of how she felt about him, she would put those feelings aside for the evening. There were plenty of other guests to talk to after all. The Ball music sounded a little more familiar in her ears, and she would see if she would be able to remember the composer before it would be her turn to congratulate Theresia. For now, it seemed the Kurlandic delegation had beaten her to it. No matter, it would happen eventually.

Saad stepped out of the car first. He held the door open for the Emperor, who in turn offered his hand to assist Foreign Minister Tarazed.

"Are you sure this isn't too flashy, Your Highness?" asked Nasrin. "You know I'm not terribly fond of these elegant dresses."

"For goodness sake, Nasrin, it's a ball!" replied the Emperor. "What else could you be expected to wear?"

"I just hope that all of these kings and presidents will take the Vasudan Foreign Minister seriously."

"It will be fine," Kahn said reassuringly.

He took Tarazed by the arm and they entered the palace, Saad close behind. Kahn had not been to Europe in many years, and was relishing every moment of his first trip to Budapest. He hoped that he could relax tonight, and leave the politicking to Tarazed. Still, he knew that Sadvis was trying to push on with his own agenda. Even though Tarazed saw herself strictly as an instrument of the Emperor's will, she was still working in Sadvis' cabinet. Kahn grew agitated at the thought of the Prime Minister scheming while the Emperor was making a foreign visit. After thanking the Empress for hosting such a splendid event, he split from Nasrin, and went to meet Valerio. He apologized profusely for Sadvis' inexcusable remarks, and restated his intention to pay off the foreign debt without pushing back the deadline.

Tarazed sought out the Dalmatian Imperial Regent. "You must be proud of your work. All of these world leaders, gathered here at a ball thrown in your honor. Quite impressive," she said. She echoed the earlier message from her office, stating that she hoped the Caspian Sea would remain free of military vessels, and that she wished for the continued prosperity of both Vasuda and Dalmatia.

"As I'm sure you know," the Foreign Minister began, "Vasudan industry has been hesitant to expand into new markets. Most of the lands bordering our own are currently ungoverned, and investors are staying far, far away from such risky ventures. It's hard enough keeping Rebel Army from taking over our economy, and not many Vasudan companies would ever dream of trying to break into business over there. The Prime Minister has suggested that it might be in our mutual interest for Dalmatia to grant contracts to relatively cheap Vasudan hires in order to prop up your struggling protectorate. Not a bad idea, wouldn't you say?"

Their arrival had everything that Thomas had come to expect of European balls. If there was one thing that the New World would never match the Old World in, it was the grandeur of buildings such as this and the opulence with which these parties were able to be carried out with. As their armored limo pulled up, Thomas got out first. He was dressed in a white tuxedo jacket with small Imperial flag pin on his lapel. The jacket was short, and held together by two gold bands by the waist. A black bow tie and cummerbund, along with black pants completed the ensemble.

Thomas turned and extended his hand to his sister, Commandant Alice Atkinson-Asgeirsson. Instead of her more daring look that she went for at her last ball, this one was much more traditional, though she still looked beautiful. A simple black square neck gown was covered by her white dress uniform jacket, which was adorned with all of her medals, campaign bars, and rank insignia.

And finally, Professor Henry Solo, second in command of the Empire and chief diplomatic envoy. He wore a dark brown suit, with lighter tan pinstripes, a vest, and a brown bow tie, along with his trademark glasses. Thomas offered his older sister his arm as they walked into the ballroom, where many of the other guests had already gathered.

They were there in plenty of time for the Empress' speech. However, as she spoke, it was if Thomas was in another world. Finally, Alice nudged him in the side with an elbow.

"Brother, you are staring." Thomas shook himself, closing his mouth and looking down for a moment before looking over at Alice. His sister, however, was no longer looking at him but rather up the stairs to where he had been staring. She rolled her eyes as she looked back at him. "You were watching Angelika, weren't you?"

"Well... I... uh... I just haven't seen her in a while."

"Right. Well, when you go up to speak to her, make sure your mouth isn't hanging open like you are trying to catch flies with it." She chuckled as the speech ended and people began applauding. Most made their way straight to the Empress, but Angelika seemed to be left alone. "Well, go on then, now's your chance." Thomas smiled.

"And what about you? Just going to feast on the food and break the hearts of some awestruck international?"

"You never know, Thomas. The night is still young." Alice gave him a playful wink.

"Right. Same rule as last time applies. No killing anyone." He gave her a kiss on the cheek as she walked over towards the drink table. Thomas sighed and looked at Solo. "And what are your thoughts, Henry?"

"Man up and ask her to dance... sir." Thomas looked at him sideways and smiled.

"And what are you going to do? Ask someone to dance?" The Professor almost laughed.

"No, sir. I figure I'll get some work done while I'm here. Besides, someone has to drag you and the Commandant back to the limo after this is all over." Thomas did laugh.

"You are a good man, Henry. A damn good man."

Patting his friend on the shoulder, Thomas slowly made his way through the crowd until he was standing just off to Angelika's side. Trying to calm the growing butterflies in his stomach, he reached out and lightly placed a hand on her shoulder.

Having been deep in diplomatic negotiations for weeks, Mattias De Luit had recieved the message late; diplomatic discussion with the Austrian-Hungarian government lower diplomatic channels went late into the night, until Keeper De Luit's flight path could be arranged, formalities conducted, and t's crossed and i's dotted. He would arrive shortly after the speech, his only attendant a Strigian Legionnare (Lt. Col Ordel) and a diplomatic aide (Ms. Meziah Rals, of the Direlian tribe) well schooled in heraldry, face and name recognition, and the various minute things people expected the leader of a sovereign nation to know. They made an interesting trio, a man in military dress uniform, the Keeper wearing a signiture three-piece-suit and a threaded silver Circlet, while his aide stuck to a traditional, if darkly colored, dress.

The vast amounts of power in this room, between the rulers and their military men, was heady; Mattias wished Khendon had been here to observe and give his observations. Something of a pale man due to a child-hood sickness, Mattias posessed the characteristic blue eyes and white hair of a De Luit, and when he walked the room, he sought out the Legionarres at once...or the Empress herself, if she had a free moment to spare for a meek neighbor.

The arrival of the Grand Papuans would raise quite a few eyebrows. Aside from the interim president, all were of European and Asian descent, and the attire of the males seemed anachronist in more than one way. It was as if some remanents of the miltiarism that had led Europe into the bottomless abyss was still alive in one of the furtherest places from Europe. The names, such as Nontsich Himmler and Eisen Manstein didn't help matters. Basic courtesy kept words from being spoken about it, for now.

On the other hand, the women blended in with the crowd. Grecia Göbbels (Interim Minister of Communications) was the big sister-like figure, whereas Retia Adolf, Representative of the Papuan Europeans, sparkled as if she was an idol (which, she is one back home). The Mikado, the symbolic leader of the Japanese Papuans, was perhaps the softest yet brightest of the entourage to the president. Her black kimono, decorated with platium flower embroidery and a golden obi showed a subtle, but definitely present, touch of iron, in that she is unwilling to let circumstances distract her from her goals or missions.

[center][IMG]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac318/kousenkankou/Characters/CG06390.png[/IMG]
[i]Nontsich Himmler, Grecia Göbbels, Retia Adolf, Eisen Manstein, El Rommel, Mikado[/i][/center]

While the president himself was at unease, the rest were certainly part of the ball.

OOC: Just go ahead and interact with them. I'll follow up on it.

[quote name='Margrave' timestamp='1314622686' post='2790467']
he sought out the Legionarres at once...or the Empress herself, if she had a free moment to spare for a meek neighbor.
[/quote]

"That looks like one of those fellows Denard paid a visit a while back," Rebecca comments.

"I do think you are right m'dear. I'll just take a moment and go have a quick word with the young fellow. Would you like me to top up your glass while I'm up and about?" Dellion asks.

"Please do dear," Rebecca replies.

Dellion walks over to the young fellow and says, "I don't think we've ever met, but I'm Dellion, the Coordinator of Legion."

Michelle Broussard-Doiron had listened to the Empress' speech attentively, after arriving at the opulent venue for the Ball, she was astounded by the scenery, having only sampled Europe in a few brief visits. This ball was certainly one that blew those experiences away, she felt slightly overwhelmed by the grandeur and pomp that had gone into this celebration. She sipped her glass of wine slowly, the beverage helping bring her to her senses. She felt awkward in this environment, but the alcohol was at least able to loosen up her stiff and astute stature, and relaxed her to the point that she could talk with a confident and calm voice.

"Ah, the wonders of alcohol," said LePage quietly to Michelle, after observing a much more relaxed exchange between Michelle and a lower-level dignitary of a foreign delegation.

Michelle did not respond to LePage's commentary, instead looking around the ball room, before taking a seat at a table quietly. She was the leader of a rising nation in North America, one that had defied her neighbors, but that was not on [i]her[/i] watch. She felt at home there, where grandeur was mixed with practicality, not the large scale pomp that existed here. Her uncle had a flare for foreign engagement, he was the adventurous type who would fly out at a moments notice. While her military service and education had seen her perform her duty, or her studies, in foreign countries, she didn't have the same extroverted attitude that Henri had.

"I really hope you do not sit here all night, my lady," noted LePage, standing near her, surveying a crowd of female Austro-Hungarian aristocrats nearby with some noticeable gusto. "You are a Broussard, the night is young, there are many men who give a lot to dance with you right now, you, the one with probably the most elegant dress that our country owns," he chuckled.

"I'm sure with all the plantation parties, there are many more dresses that are more beautiful than this one," retorted Michelle, finally looking up at the Deputy Foreign Minister. "I'd rather be wearing my service uniform right now."

"That old horse blanket?"

"At least it feels more homely, and it, it certainly covers more," she said, conservatively looking at the somewhat precarious neckline.

"As foreign protocol that our country dictates, even if you were still in the mil-," started LePage, before seeing Michelle giving him a look of daggers. "Apologies, my lady."

She stood and grabbed another wine glass from a passing tray, before drawing close to him, and quietly hissing, "Francois, I know you're an admirer of my uncle, and you like to point out how much I'm not like him, or as good for our country as he was, but we are here as a delegation. We are to present a united front, if I'm not mistaken, that may not be [i]protocol[/i], but it is a [i]given[/i], at such events as this. Now, if you'll excuse me."

"Touche," remarked LePage, under his breath, watching Michelle carry herself in a much more confident manner.

Michelle drew even with the party of hosts, the entourage of both the Empress Maria Theresia and Yuan Jia, that had presented themselves in the main gallery, "Your Highness, it is an honor to finally meet you." She said, with a curtsy, before also turning to her husband, "Imperator, an honor to finally meet you, as well, in person."

The moment after Theresia had given her speech and journeyed into the crowd, she was nearly stampeded, as was her prediction, by the foreign dignitaries. Within moments, Jia had disappeared with Stahl, talking about the Zargathian situation in Asia and the Empress frowned, she was hoping that political discussion could be kept off for a tad bit more and especially not to offend the Zargathian vassals who had arrived. But those were her husband's policies and Asia was run much different from Europe, order was supreme there and she respected him for it. Thinking about the eventual meeting between her along with the German and Athenian delegations, a strict sense of order and law could come in handy. However, Theresia was immediately jarred from her thoughts as a man approached her, speaking in a Yiddish accent and a shapely grin.

[i]"Empress Theresia," he said, "I think you did a wonderful job in your diplomacy and reasoning with Dalmatia."[/i]

She went to smile and respond, but nearly as soon as the Marscurian leader had spoken, he disappeared back into the crowd, leaving Theresia dumbfounded as her next guests approached. The first to approach after the Marscurians, was now King Alaric of Kurland and his Chancellor.[i] "Ah, Empress," Alaric said, smiling warmly and kissing her lightly on the hand; Schräder merely offered his hand to Theresia and Jia in turn, smiling politely. "Wie geht es Ihnen? I trust that you have been well since last we met." He shifted his gaze over to Jia and extended his hand. "And you must be Imperator Jia. A pleasure to meet you, sir."[/i]

At least Alaric wasn't just going to runaway as the Marscurian had done. Theresia brightened as he kissed her hand. "Oh I've been well, King Alaric, much has changed though as you can see, since we last met and I hope this is a sign to both your nation and the Germans that Austria-Hungary does intend to honor her promise of stability and dependency. This is only the beginning, I can assure you. I am a woman of great ambition and Austria-Hungary will grow much more and hopefully Kurland along with it. But how have you been?"

As they talked however, another interjection occurred as the Lady Protector of the Cajun Federation came to introduce herself to the Austrian Empress and the Chinese Imperator. [i]"Your Highness, it is an honor to finally meet you." She said, with a curtsy, before also turning to her husband, "Imperator, an honor to finally meet you, as well, in person." [/i]

"Ah," Theresia turned away from Alaric only for a second, so as to respond to Michelle. "The honor is mine, this is a pleasure, Your Grace. I knew your brother or cousin I believe, Henri? But I was never able to meet you personally and as the holder of your own Mutual Defense Pact, it means so much that you could make it to Budapest tonight. I hope you enjoy yourself at dinner and once the dancing begins as well." Theresia scanned the room. "There are a lot of suitable gentlemen everywhere, even the King of Kurland here." She said, bringing Michelle into the conversation. "King Alaric of Kurland, may I introduce Michelle Broussard-Doiron, Lady Protector of the Cajun Federation."

---

Angelika meanwhile had been standing pretty much next to her sister, smiling and acting pretty as the ball continued. She was good at doing this as normally when she did talk, her volume and her political opinions got in the way of her sister's calm and cool diplomacy. However when she felt the warm touch of a hand on her shoulder, she turned around in a flash, mainly to push whoever thought of groping her away. It was a pleasant surprise then, when she saw it was Thomas Asgiersson from Pravus Inguro who had summoned her with his hand.

She moved away from Theresia's side and took Thomas' hands happily. "Your Majesty, Thomas, how have you been, it feels like it's been ages."

Valerio and Magdalena would arrive well before the speech began. The tour through Budapest had been amazing and a pleasant sight and the way he felt Europe should be. As they walked under the arch made by the Austrian Marines he could barely walk underneath due to his length. "Your sister sure knows how to throw a party" Valerio chuckled as they entered the palace with the extensive set-up. Valerio was dressed in an Italian designer's suit. While he was allowed to wear a General's uniform he preferred not to when not actually commanding an army. As there had only been two guards with them, one for Valerio and one for Magdalena, none of them had to give up their weapon, though admittedly even if they did their real strength was in the combat armor under the uniforms.

Once inside Valerio looked around, he recognized many faces however there were also many he did not recognize. After taking a drink they would walk back to the center of the hall listening to the speech of the Empress. Considering the FIA reports on the United States of the Islands this was quite a humble speech. Before he could turn to Magdalena again he noticed a familiar face. Khan of the Vasudan Empire had approached him to guarantee his country's willingness to pay. "Do not worry, I am sure all will end well. Also if you need any help dealing with human elements anything can be arranged."

Once that was handled he sighed with relief, he already had to deal with the Germans later. More politics really was the last thing he needed. "Let's greet your sisters Magdalena. I am sure you three have a lot to catch up on." Valerio said with a smile as he began heading towards the Austrian Empress once the others had gone.

"Your highness, it is a pleasure to see you again. Congratulations on the addition of Hungary to your empire."

A broad smile crossed Thomas' face as Angelika turned to greet him. "Ages may well be the appropriate term, Angelika. I don't believe our paths have crossed since the Empire's ball. A strange thing that, us always running into each other at balls. Perhaps they should be held more often." The smile turned more lopsided, almost devilish as Thomas drew closer. "You seemed very much alone with everyone greeting your sister and the Imperator. And while I will be forced to make myself known to them and congratulate them on such a splendid party at some point in the future, I was wondering if I may have a dance with the most beautiful lady in the room?" An extended hand followed the invitation, along with a a crinkle near the corner of his left eye signaling mischief was afoot.

Meanwhile, Alice had truly made her way over to the drink table. After a few moment, she held a double whiskey on the rocks in her white gloved hands. Normally she would forgo alcohol at such a function, but she wasn't flying tonight and after so many months with the Empire on edge, she deserved a stiff drink.

The Professor meanwhile joined the line of well wishers towards the Empress and the Imperator. When he arrived, he inclined his head smartly and sharply to both, offering up a wide smile. "Empress. Imperator. Congratulations on a lovely party. I trust Emperor Atkinson-Asgeirsson will be around soon enough himself, but allow me to say the Empire could not be happier with her choice of allies. Truly, two of the most honorable nations in the world, through thick and thin."

[i]"The honor is mine, this is a pleasure, Your Grace. I knew your brother or cousin I believe, Henri? But I was never able to meet you personally and as the holder of your own Mutual Defense Pact, it means so much that you could make it to Budapest tonight. I hope you enjoy yourself at dinner and once the dancing begins as well."[/i]

"Henri was my uncle," nodded Michelle, "I have actually never been to Budapest, so this is a treat, to be able to spend some time in Europe, it is an honor to be here. I daresay I look forward to dinner, the plane ride in has left me a little famished."

[i]"There are a lot of suitable gentlemen everywhere, even the King of Kurland here." She said, bringing Michelle into the conversation. "King Alaric of Kurland, may I introduce Michelle Broussard-Doiron, Lady Protector of the Cajun Federation."[/i]

"Suitable, and [i]unsuitable[/i]," murmured Michelle, eying LePage as he took it upon himself to woo a small group of female Austro-Hungarian Aristocrats. LePage was a married man, but it was a very strong rumor he had more than just one woman who had his eye. Upon Theresia's introduction of King Alaric, however, Michelle quickly turned to the monarch of Kurland, and curtsied, "Your Majesty, it is a pleasure. If my current events memory of Europe serves me well, it is your country that has been carving a name for itself in the Baltic over the past year or so."