An OOC TOP invitation

WalkerNinja

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1301809101' post='2683315']
That's the one that makes kids kill their parents, right?
[/quote]

I can confirm that my campaign uses the minimal amount of parent killing needed to express realism.

Voting for our next Book of the Month takes place tomorrow, so stop by!

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1301696239' post='2682476']
Yes. We frequently discuss my favorite book of all time: The Crossroads of Twilight. :gun::frantic:
[/quote]
Any book inspired by Waiting for Godot is an instant classic....

[quote name='The Crimson King' timestamp='1301884161' post='2683745']
Any book inspired by Waiting for Godot is an instant classic....
[/quote]

It was actually the worst book I've ever read, and I'm not exaggerating. Robert Jordan took a huge climax from the previous novel and spent 700 pages not expanding upon it one bit. It was hundreds of pages of [i]nothing[/i].

Check out the reviews on Amazon. They're hilarious. A few examples:

[quote]
Part of what really makes Mr. Jordan's worlds so unique are the wonderful characters which populate them. I like nothing more than to scratch my head in befuddlement as yet another Aes Sedai is reintroduced into the plot whom I can no longer recall. It gives me an excuse to page to the back of the book and open up the 'Robert Jordan Appendix of Useless and Irrelevent Characters' which is always such a joy. I've created my own drinking game based on this called, [...]
For anyone who wants to play along the rules are simple:

1.) Is the character you're looking up totally irrelevent? Take a drink.
2.) Do you have reason to suspect said character will remain totally irrelevent? Take a drink.
3.) Does the character twitch her shawl? Take two drinks.
4.) Is she looking "cross-eyed" at someone? Take a drink.
5.) Do you know the exact design of the embroidery on the fringe of her shawl? Of course you do - take a drink. For your own sanity, consider taking another.

Anyhow, I don't want to pretend everything about this book is negative ... there are a few positives.

First off, Nynaeve is completely ignored. I suspect Mr. Jordan will make up for this oversite by indulging in an orgy of braid-tugging, yellow-shawled action in books 11-16, but you will be blessedly free of it in this tome.

Secondly, Jordan has stopped even pretending to provide "setup" for future books with CoT. Nothing Of Any Signifigance happens - at all - in this novel. Nothing. There's not so much as a cliffhanger. He's no longer bothering to maintain any facade. I appreciate that kind of bold honesty. He's just holding out his hand and saying, "Listen suckers ... we all know you're going to give me your money - so just hand it over. I could personally visit each of your homes and beat it out of you, but isn't this more civilized?". And, yes, I suppose it is more civilized. So I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. Jordan for allowing me to voluntarily hand him my hard-earned money rather than forcing him to pummel it out of me in my own house. It is very much appreciated.
[/quote]

[quote]
By the time I was done reading, I was ready to drop kick the book if I read about another twitch of a shawl, rearranging of skirts, braid tug, disapproving sniff, disapproving snort, disapproving frown (and the subsequent smoothing of one's features hoping no one noticed), or yet another Aes Sedai standing looking at someone beneath them (who is basically everyone) with hands on hips and a disapproving scowl on their face. I think I'm seeing a pattern here; I think the book would have been a lot less painful to read if an Aes Sedai actually APPROVED of something for once, but I digress . . . (those of you who have read the book should be used to digression by now)
[/quote]

And the best one:

[quote]
For those readers anxiously waiting for the Dark One to lash out with the first fell stroke of the Last Battle, you'll find it here in the Crossroads of Twilight. No, the vast armies of Trollocs and their Eyeless taskmasters don't boil forth from the Blight to overrun the heart of Randland, leaving only carnage and destruction in their wake; instead, in a dazzling and completely unforeseen plot twist, Shai'tan unleashes his legions of weevils against our unsuspecting heroes, and no one's grain is safe. I'm getting chills now just thinking about the brilliance of the move. Just think: weevils in the grain require winnowing, and winnowing cuts down on the profit margins of merchants, and lower profit margins means bankruptcy. I absolutely cannot wait for book 11, where we will surely see the entire economy collapse, and then it's just a small matter to bring this incredible series to a close. The Dark One will be revealed as an evil loan shark, and he'll break free from the Central Bank of Shayol Ghul and repossess every palace, dress-shop, and circus on the continent. I just hope Cadsuane can teach Rand some creative re-financing options before the situation becomes hopeless.
Some other notable developments:

[list]
[*]The quality of tea has really taken a nosedive since the early books in the series, and it's starting to negatively impact the morale of our heroes. After all, what's the upside of fighting off pure evil if you can't even get a decent cup of tea when you're pregnant and temperamental?
[*]The Dark One inappropriately touches one of his minions. I'm expecting a sexual harassment lawsuit in the next volume.
[*]Hundreds of dresses are described in such intricate detail that I was able to sew exact replicas. I'm wearing one right now, in fact. For hundreds of other patterns, you can shop at wheeloftimewardrobe.com.
[*]We are introduced to the riveting social intricacies of the gai'shain laundering subculture.
[*]Perrin gets bored with his own plotline and breaks out of character for a minute before returning to form.
[*]Woolheads battle ninnies and hilarity ensues. Braid tugging is on the wane. Someone sniffs.
[/list]
[/quote]

Edited by Crymson

[quote name='WalkerNinja' timestamp='1301620898' post='2681781']
[size="5"][u][url="http://ordoparadox.com/top/index.php?showforum=478"][color="#FF8C00"]The Library[/color][/url][/u][/size]
Paradoxians are very literate individuals, and after discussing a number of books in our general members-only spam forum, Feanor suggested that we create a subforum purely for literary discussions. This suggestion evolved into a book of the month club, and we've just finished our first title, George R.R. Martin's [i]A Game of Thrones[/i]. Discussion of the book is set to start tomorrow, and our nominations for this month's book are about to begin. Join in on the fun!

You'll also notice extensive discussion of the Wheel of Time series (it's a TOP favorite--we've even RPG'd it in the afore mentioned forum).[/quote]

I did not know of this aspect of TOP. TOOL has been a WoT themed alliance since Day 1, with varying degrees of involvement in themes, naming convention etc. It also contains structures and ideology from ASOIAF which I also see heavily discussed on TOP forums. So yeah - I will be by and around for these discussions, and very interested in seeing the comparison from Book to TV Series in that.

GK

[quote name='grahamkeatley' timestamp='1301917404' post='2683931']
I did not know of this aspect of TOP. TOOL has been a WoT themed alliance since Day 1, with varying degrees of involvement in themes, naming convention etc. It also contains structures and ideology from ASOIAF which I also see heavily discussed on TOP forums. So yeah - I will be by and around for these discussions, and very interested in seeing the comparison from Book to TV Series in that.

GK
[/quote]

I was aware of your origins and tried to engage each TOOL diplomat in WoT discussions.

Most of them didn't know what I was talking about.

[quote name='WalkerNinja' timestamp='1301917987' post='2683932']
I was aware of your origins and tried to engage each TOOL diplomat in WoT discussions.

Most of them didn't know what I was talking about.
[/quote]

Haha, yeah - most wouldnt be aware of the origin of the theme in-depth. From early on it never really took throughout the alliance. I on a personal level just maintained it for myself for a long time. And then along came Dodoei and it reinvigorated it in the alliance stronger, but again it was mostly in theme alone with many not being aware of the source. TOOL was mostly a gathering of newcomers to CN, and not based on the theme. But yeah. Pity. Had I known of this missing knowledge I would of been diplomat-ing ages ago. Just not my thing off the bat.

GK

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1301901448' post='2683895']
It was actually the worst book I've ever read, and I'm not exaggerating. Robert Jordan took a huge climax from the previous novel and spent 700 pages not expanding upon it one bit. It was hundreds of pages of [i]nothing[/i].

Check out the reviews on Amazon. They're hilarious. A few examples:

And the best one:
[/quote]

Oh I am well aware (I actually just got done with a re-read of the first 11 in the series about 2 months ago which made me relive that trainwreck of a novel)

Not sure how familiar you are with Beckett play I mentioned in my original post, but the entire premise of it 2 individuals standing around the entire time just waiting for something to happen that never does. In that sense it mirrors the plot arc of that novel quite closely.

Only difference if the Beckett play is an actual masterpiece of 20th century literature, while CoT is, well...not...

Edited by The Crimson King

[quote name='grahamkeatley' timestamp='1301917404' post='2683931']

GK
[/quote]
This sounds like fun. I'm looking forward to the show too, now that JT_Jag informed me it exists.

(BTW, your alliance is actually named for the band, whether you intend/know it or not. ;) )

[quote name='Max Power' timestamp='1301927153' post='2683987']
This sounds like fun. I'm looking forward to the show too, now that JT_Jag informed me it exists.

(BTW, your alliance is actually named for the band, whether you intend/know it or not. ;) )
[/quote]

Haha, the alliance name was adjusted so that the acronym would have the ring to it. Band-wise was a cherry. I would be a big Tool fan too. But yeah tCotL just didnt have the same pizazz.

GK

[quote name='janax' timestamp='1301935162' post='2684040']
I have 2 disapproving reviews of Crossroads of Twilight as well.

If I could give that book negative stars on Amazon, I would have.
[/quote]

Honestly I do have to say it was not quite as horrible as I remembered it on a re-read.

Don't get me wrong, it is still one of the greatest wastes of 700 pages that I ever read as far as plot progression goes, but I think dreading every moment of having to re-read it made the experience somewhat easier to take.

I think part of the absolute hatred for that novel also stems from reading it when it came out. At the time there was something like a 3 year wait between WH and CoT. Couple this with the fact that those of us who had been reading Jordan since the beginning had already invested nearly 14 years into this story reading each book as it was released, and you drop a novel like that where absolutely nothing happens, you rmain character in the series pops in for all of 25 pages out of nearly 700, and you are no closer to wrapping the entire thing up as what you were 3 years previously, then people are bound to be pissed.

[quote name='The Crimson King' timestamp='1301970146' post='2684406']
I think part of the absolute hatred for that novel also stems from reading it when it came out. At the time there was something like a 3 year wait between WH and CoT. Couple this with the fact that those of us who had been reading Jordan since the beginning had already invested nearly 14 years into this story reading each book as it was released, and you drop a novel like that where absolutely nothing happens, you rmain character in the series pops in for all of 25 pages out of nearly 700, and you are no closer to wrapping the entire thing up as what you were 3 years previously, then people are bound to be pissed.
[/quote]

This is very much the case. Isn't this the interval in which he decided to stop writing WoT and write Civil War fiction?

[quote name='WalkerNinja' timestamp='1301975406' post='2684457']
This is very much the case. Isn't this the interval in which he decided to stop writing WoT and write Civil War fiction?
[/quote]

If he did Civil War fiction I am unaware of it. The only other thing of note i remember him writing were some Conan stories and this was well before WoT began.

With CoT I just remember my utter frustration at that point in time with the increasing gap between novels. When he decided to follow up CoT with a damn prequil to Eye of the World I almost packed it in and gave up all together. Luckily KoD was a giant leap forward all things considered (including what I think was another 3 year gap between books)

[quote name='The Crimson King' timestamp='1301976197' post='2684461']
If he did Civil War fiction I am unaware of it. The only other thing of note i remember him writing were some Conan stories and this was well before WoT began.

[/quote]

Fallon Blood
Fallon Pride
Fallon Legacy

I double checked, it's not Civil War, it's Revolutionary War through the Era of Good Feelings with lots of historical American personalities peppered in throughout.

[quote name='WalkerNinja' timestamp='1302003513' post='2684594']
Fallon Blood
Fallon Pride
Fallon Legacy

I double checked, it's not Civil War, it's Revolutionary War through the Era of Good Feelings with lots of historical American personalities peppered in throughout.
[/quote]
Yeah found that after I made that reply. According to Wiki those were from the early 80' though by the looks of it (under a different pseudonym). I don't think they had any bearing on the delays between the novels at that point.