Timeline Hate or like

Timeline

[quote name='Aimee Mann' timestamp='1287086478' post='2484626']
If he didn't want to have to explain anything, why did he even mention that bad things have happened to him? Why would he even make the thread? My guess is that he wants to save his nation from destruction and feels that a vague reference that causes people (specifically, his attackers) to a) feel sympathy and b) leave his nation alone might be a good way to go about it, but then again, I am rather heartless and cynical.

The point is, there is no rule saying that you have to explain why you are leaving, but he chose to do so - in a vague way that invites questions - so people are entitled to ask them in my opinion.
[/quote]

Wait, so someone posts a goodbye along with a vague description of something personal that happened to them, and you think that opens a door for internet people to bluntly ask (publicly, mind you) what it was that happened that would cause someone to change the direction of their life? I could understand a buddy asking what occurred [b]privately[/b], but directly asking him within the thread is classless. It's like people have the inability to pick up on social cues and act accordingly.

[quote name='nippy' timestamp='1287114448' post='2484990']
Wait, so someone posts a goodbye along with a vague description of something personal that happened to them, and you think that opens a door for internet people to bluntly ask (publicly, mind you) what it was that happened that would cause someone to change the direction of their life? I could understand a buddy asking what occurred [b]privately[/b], but directly asking him within the thread is classless. It's like people have the inability to pick up on social cues and act accordingly.
[/quote]
Yes, I do think that. The idea that Timeline's social cues should be respected is a fallacy because the situation that created the need for the cue in the first place (the creation of this thread and the subsequent mention of problems) was not only self-created, but also not in any way demanded by society here. He could've not created a thread and simply told his friends in private, or he could've created the thread and just said he was bored - two other easy options to take if you want to avoid explanations whilst still telling people you're leaving. He didn't take them, so I think it's reasonable to assume that he wanted people to notice his reason, and I already put forward a couple of reasons as to why that could be. I think there's an ulterior motive (or as you'd perhaps put it "It's like people have the inability to pick up on ulterior motives and act accordingly").

Edited by Aimee Mann

[quote name='Aimee Mann' timestamp='1287168218' post='2485333']
Yes, I do think that. The idea that Timeline's social cues should be respected is a fallacy because the situation that created the need for the cue in the first place (the creation of this thread and the subsequent mention of problems) was not only self-created, but also not in any way demanded by society here. He could've not created a thread and simply told his friends in private, or he could've created the thread and just said he was bored - two other easy options to take if you want to avoid explanations whilst still telling people you're leaving. He didn't take them, so I think it's reasonable to assume that he wanted people to notice his reason, and I already put forward a couple of reasons as to why that could be. I think there's an ulterior motive (or as you'd perhaps put it "It's like people have the inability to pick up on ulterior motives and act accordingly").
[/quote]

I believe you need to buy a map for this conversation, because you can't seem to stay on the right path. As I've already stated, he created this thread as a goodbye. The reason for leaving was not provided. The reason is his business, and his business alone. All the "he could'ves" in the world will never successfully argue your way into obtaining the soap opera-like drama you seem to be craving. Also, Ms. Aimee, if you would be so kind as to find another method of arguing your case, I'd appreciate you not attempting to force words into my mouth by intentionally misquoting me and claiming it would be something I'd say. Thanks in advance.

The reason for quitting was clearly provided: "[...] how ever something bad has happened to me in the last 24 hours". He almost spent as much time giving it as he did saying goodbye, so it's strange that you'd miss it, perhaps you were blinded by something?

Anyway, I won't be entertaining this discussion (or any other) with you because you are apparently more intent on moronic one-liners about maps that hope to distract from the lack of a good argument, inane potshots about soap operas purely because I have the temerity to hold (and defend) a differing opinion to your own, and general ranting about misquotes in what appears to be points-scoring desperation (as I'd very clearly stated that the quote of you was not a direct quote: "as you'd perhaps put it").

Good day to you.

Edited by Aimee Mann

Really, dude? [i]That's[/i] what you're claiming this is all about? You're leaving CN because someone [i]made a comment[/i]? Yeah, I don't buy it. Looks like you're trying to toss a bit more bad PR for GOONS out there as you depart. Here I am arguing for people to respect your privacy in your goodbye thread, and you turn around and claim that the 'something bad that happened' that you wrote about in the OP is nothing more than words. Yeah, it's easy to question your intelligence, but I now question my own for attempting to get others to respect your privacy in a purely OOC thread.

Edited by nippy

I don't know, I always liked Michael Crichton but Timeline felt a little half-assed. The ending kind of sucked (though to be honest most of his books end poorly, as if he just decided he was done writing) and really the only part I really liked was the whole "we don't actually understand time travel in this dimension, so we are going to destroy your body and then in another dimension where we [i]do[/i] know how to make this work, we'll recreate you" which is probably poorly paraphrased since I read the book years ago.

meh, I've had some pretty harsh things said about me, and admittedly on more than one occasion it made me step back from the game for a while, so I understand how something personal can affect you. However, at the end of the day it's just words, and you can deal with it.

That being said, I really enjoyed talking to you on IRC timeline, and you seemed like a decent dude when we didn't talk IC. So good luck in RL, tell me what its like. ;)