The Guru Order Offers a Helping Hand...

[quote name='nutkase' date='18 July 2010 - 05:02 AM' timestamp='1279443755' post='2376978']
So instead of GO offering a hand, even in terms of setting them up again without merging they decided to post a topic about it and laugh and points fingers at UPN. While the conversation was not of the brightest, does not warrant to be log dumped.

Everyone needs a helping hand once in a while, even from a stranger.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Wait, what? How could GO help UPN? By setting them up? What? Why does GO have an obligation to fix UPN? Shouldn't that be, you know, UPN's responsibility?

Also, this did warrant a log dump, if only for the sole reason that it is completely hilarious. It also tells anyone who may still have had any doubts that UPN really is not worth talking to.

Lastly, regardless of whatever Blanche du Bois may do, never rely on the kindness of strangers. Most strangers turn out to be pricks.[/color]

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Arrnea' date='18 July 2010 - 05:07 PM' timestamp='1279444036' post='2376988']
I hope you realise UPN hasn't actually (to my knowledge) asked for [b]help[/b] from anyone, just asked that they merge into them because "they're terribly inactive and could use the boost". If UPN had come to GO asking for [b]help[/b], then you'd be right and GO would be not very nice for logdumping on them and humiliating them.
[/quote]

Still have not explained why it still worthy of a log dump other then humiliating them.

[quote name='nutkase' date='18 July 2010 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1279444143' post='2376992']
Still have not explained why it still worthy of a log dump other then humiliating them.
[/quote]
The humiliation is something they've already put on themselves. Posting it serves as humor for the rest of the world (as well as an object lesson in how pathetic UPN can be, which could be useful for any alliance considering treatying with them). The concept of [i]schadenfreude[/i] applies rather heavily here.

[quote name='President S O' date='18 July 2010 - 05:08 AM' timestamp='1279444117' post='2376990']
UPN, you did this as a joke right, RIGHT?!?!? Because, this is the most pathetic thing I have read in my time here, ever. :facepalm:
[/quote]

My reply to THIS, is you are clearly very new around here.

[2010-07-18 13:41:14] <Kevanovia> So how long have you been PM?
[2010-07-18 13:41:27] <JmanofAus> 18 days

It shows.

UPN is going through a rough patch, there's no denying that. No big deal, it happens to every alliance at one point or another. You learn of this (from an obviously foolish proposal by a UPN deputy Minister), and instead of feeling compassion for UPN, you decide to logdump and humiliate them?

I don't think I can take the Guru Order seriously anymore.

As an aside, am I the only one who keeps reading this fellow's name as "JmanofAnus"?

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' date='18 July 2010 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1279444133' post='2376991']
[color="#0000FF"]Wait, what? How could GO help UPN? By setting them up? What? Why does GO have an obligation to fix UPN? Shouldn't that be, you know, UPN's responsibility?

Also, this did warrant a log dump, if only for the sole reason that it is completely hilarious. It also tells anyone who may still have had any doubts that UPN really is not worth talking to.

Lastly, regardless of whatever Blanche du Bois may do, never rely on the kindness of strangers. Most strangers turn out to be pricks.[/color]
[/quote]

I agree that GO has no obligation to UPN, but generosity is always a positive factor. Every alliance has at one point or time had major issues with being inactive, some have fixed the issue internally while some have dealt with it via external means.

While most strangers are pricks, ones that actually do help leave a great imprint and usually leads onto something more. No doubt your best friend as this period of time was once a stranger to you.

[quote name='nutkase' date='18 July 2010 - 10:02 PM' timestamp='1279443755' post='2376978']
So instead of GO offering a hand, even in terms of setting them up again without merging they decided to post a topic about it and laugh and points fingers at UPN. While the conversation was not of the brightest, does not warrant to be log dumped.

Everyone needs a helping hand once in a while, even from a stranger.
[/quote]

Yes, and that is when you should get help from an ally, not approach some random alliance out of the blue and say you should merge with us.

[quote name='Rush Sykes' date='18 July 2010 - 07:11 PM' timestamp='1279444263' post='2376995']
My reply to THIS, is you are clearly very new around here.
[/quote]

No, you would be wrong. But I would like to think that after so many screw ups the UPN would keep their dealings internal and not continue to screw up.

[quote name='Ryuzaki' date='18 July 2010 - 05:14 PM' timestamp='1279444438' post='2377000']
Yes, and that is when you should get help from an ally, not approach some random alliance out of the blue and say you should merge with us.
[/quote]

So they next thing you should do is logdump and point and laugh?

It's called desperate measures, obviously they are having trouble and are looking for a way to rectify that.

[quote name='Borimir Resurrected' date='18 July 2010 - 04:14 AM' timestamp='1279444429' post='2376998']
[2010-07-18 13:41:14] <Kevanovia> So how long have you been PM?
[2010-07-18 13:41:27] <JmanofAus> 18 days

It shows.
[/quote]
No, it doesn't. Many others would react the same way this man has.

[quote name='Penkala' date='18 July 2010 - 05:04 PM' timestamp='1279443858' post='2376981']
Then go help them. Up to you. Please put your money where your mouth is.

Except we're not saying it 5 times each.
[/quote]

1 person repeating himself, is no different to a crowd chanting the same thing over and over again.

[quote name='nutkase' date='18 July 2010 - 05:14 AM' timestamp='1279444430' post='2376999']
I agree that GO has no obligation to UPN, but generosity is always a positive factor. Every alliance has at one point or time had major issues with being inactive, some have fixed the issue internally while some have dealt with it via external means.

While most strangers are pricks, ones that actually do help leave a great imprint and usually leads onto something more. No doubt your best friend as this period of time was once a stranger to you.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]If you need to get another alliance involved, especially one you've never had any sort of communications with before, to fix your terribly inactive alliance, it may simply be better for you to disband. UPN, I suggest you take this advice. It's for the best.[/color]

[quote name='President S O' date='18 July 2010 - 05:16 AM' timestamp='1279444568' post='2377002']
No, you would be wrong. But I would like to think that after so many screw ups the UPN would keep their dealings internal and not continue to screw up.
[/quote]

While that is certainly debatable... you do realize that you are part of purplol. A ship, as a whole, that is sinking further and faster than the mighty Titanic?

[quote name='nutkase' date='18 July 2010 - 05:17 PM' timestamp='1279444625' post='2377003']So they next thing you should do is logdump and point and laugh?

It's called desperate measures, obviously they are having trouble and are looking for a way to rectify that.[/quote]
Because I'm sure that if you were on the rocks as an alliance, with government largely inactive, your first step would be to ask the Guru Order to merge into you, right?

[quote name='Neo Uruk' date='18 July 2010 - 08:20 PM' timestamp='1279444786' post='2377009']
No, it doesn't. Many others would react the same way this man has.
[/quote]
No. Many others wouldn't. You only see one announcement here, and that's from GO. I understand that UPN (or, at least that guy) has gone to several alliances.

[quote name='Rush Sykes' date='18 July 2010 - 03:20 AM' timestamp='1279444832' post='2377012']
While that is certainly debatable... you do realize that you are part of purplol. A ship, as a whole, that is sinking further and faster than the mighty Titanic?
[/quote]

I think you're mistaking UPN for a summary of purple team... We're fine over here 'cept for UPN...

[quote name='Master Holton' date='18 July 2010 - 05:23 AM' timestamp='1279444977' post='2377016']
I think you're mistaking UPN for a summary of purple team... We're fine over here 'cept for UPN...
[/quote]

Dear Purple,

Hello and welcome to reality.

Love, Rush.

[quote name='Arrnea' date='18 July 2010 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1279444841' post='2377014']
Because I'm sure that if you were on the rocks as an alliance, with government largely inactive, your first step would be to ask the Guru Order to merge into you, right?
[/quote]

I am not in their position, so I could not speculate what I would or would not do.

But I can say that the man is looking for viable ways to keep UPN going, something that should be seen as respectable in some sense.

Which can be not said of some others.

[quote name='nutkase' date='18 July 2010 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1279445125' post='2377022']I am not in their position, so I could not speculate what I would or would not do.

But I can say that the man is looking for viable ways to keep UPN going, something that should be seen as respectable in some sense.

Which can be not said of some others.[/quote]
Because "give up your independence as a very effective alliance just because we need members and say so" is a totally respectable way to go about it.

Especially coming from an alliance that is [b]none of the above[/b].

Edited by Arrnea

[quote name='nutkase' date='18 July 2010 - 10:25 PM' timestamp='1279445125' post='2377022']
I am not in their position, so I could not speculate what I would or would not do.

Which can be not said of some others.
[/quote]

How is a merger with a random alliance a viable way? Its like having a ship sinking and still taking on passengers.

[quote name='Rush Sykes' date='18 July 2010 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1279444832' post='2377012']
[/quote]

I most certainly do know my alliance is on the Purple sphere, however I am not in the business of taking silly little negative one liners about a trading sphere and applying them to all alliances on that sphere. If you think the sphere in itself is failing (I would say a failing sphere is one with a poor economy, not different politics), then your definition of failing would be different to mine. There are good and bad on every sphere. But a select few alliances do not represent all those that reside there. We are a sovereign entity and can in no way be held accountable for the actions of other alliances, as goes for every other alliance. The point is, I highly doubt you would consider iFOK and SLCB "Purplol", but they reside here.