How Do You Interrupret?

King Hendrix

I'm very obsessive when something doesn't make sense-- so I would like the CN community to tell me how you would RP:
Tech-I know that it represents research and weapons, but how do you buy or sell it? Send it as foreign aid?
Labor Camp Swapping- Sometimes your nation has labor camps, sometimes it doesn't?
The fact that you military can be 80% of your working citizens. In America its not even 1%

I'm not criticizing the game or anybody (which I somehow manage to do with each post), but I want to know how you guys view this stuff. I really don't want people telling me that this is a trivial matter as I already know this :blush: , but I want people that actually care. Or you can troll if I make no sense. That I can live with that.

-Thank you for your time CN,
King H
P.S. If I make an idiot of myself, then I swear I will go into radio silence on the OWF. -_-

Edit: random missing words

Edited by King Hendrix

I suppose labor camp swapping could be seen like politicians doing PR stunts during an election year only to go back to the way they were before once they've gotten what they wanted (you scrap LCs to increase your popularity but use them again once you've collected taxes).

Tech makes no sense. Sooner or later the system needs to be changed IMO.

Edited by Lord Brendan

Technology is a combination of knowledge and infrastructure. Both can easily be destroyed, and both can easily be sent as foreign aid.
Since you buy and sell soldiers they are an addition to your working citizens, not a part of them. Thus: mercenaries.

Tech is the little bits of technology your nation has like cell phones and computer. Tech deals are outsourcing production of these items to sweatshops in third world countries.

Labor Camps swapping is a result of CN having a 20 day week. Labor Camps are closed down at the end for the weekend.

We live on a planet where thousands of nukes are launched every war. It is far more militant than Earth with a corresponding effect on national soldier counts.

I remember in CN RP people would multiply their soldier count by 10 and multiply their citizen count by 100. Buying tech was just thought of as your nation advancing, meaning your tech level shows how advanced your nation is and you don't really worry about how you got that tech in game. Most things in CN can't be taken seriously for RP.

[quote]Since you buy and sell soldiers they are an addition to your working citizens, not a part of them. Thus: mercenaries.[/quote]
I once thought of them as either clones because they were so cheap to maintain :P. Possibly its still valid. That or you have your local government take care of some of the costs.

A lot of numbers in the game could stand to have their decimal place moved around, or in the case of land switch it from radius to square kilometres

The ability for a small nation to buy the technology to build toasters and send it to a super advanced country, which will somehow use this old technology to further its current research, will never make any sense.

tech raiding makes no sense at all in RL terms as well.

It would be the equivalent of a n advanced first world nation looting the technology of some third world nation and stealing their horses & carts to advance their knowledge about computers or other similar high tech devices.

Tech dealing is like using labor in third world country to build electronics. Tech raiding is taking over a country and forcing the population to build electronics for you. I assume that Planet Bob has a massive mercenary industry. And perhaps larger, more technologicly advanced nations build some sort of robots to fight for them.

[quote name='master splinter' date='03 March 2010 - 12:07 AM' timestamp='1267589488' post='2212240']
A lot of numbers in the game could stand to have their decimal place moved around, or in the case of land switch it from radius to square kilometres

The ability for a small nation to buy the technology to build toasters and send it to a super advanced country, which will somehow use this old technology to further its current research, will never make any sense.
[/quote]
I view tech raiding as imperialism almost

[quote name='foxfire99' date='02 March 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1267591367' post='2212278']
Tech dealing is like using labor in third world country to build electronics. Tech raiding is taking over a country and forcing the population to build electronics for you. I assume that Planet Bob has a massive mercenary industry. And perhaps larger, more technologicly advanced nations build some sort of robots to fight for them.
[/quote]

That is the best explanation I have seen, thanks.

[quote name='master splinter' date='02 March 2010 - 10:07 PM' timestamp='1267589488' post='2212240']

[/quote]

I for one support any universe in which toaster-fueled nuclear weapons can be lobbed by the thousands.

As the only interaction with any depth is between nation leaders and not with the nation itself, the reduction of domestic matters to numbers almost makes sense in a way given the way you're forced to govern. We're all negligent and outward-looking leaders who couldn't care one whit about our citizenry, so long as they keep pumping cash into our coffers (and as they invariably do when they aren't rioting, why mess with a good thing by paying attention to them?) and fighting our wars. Being so focused on international relations, it's all just numbers on a ledger, with complex concepts reduced to simplified terms like 'tech' by ministers who realize that when it comes to domestic policy, your attention span parallels a hamster on speed. Could be anything from manufactured products to natural resources...you just don't care because you're too busy counting your dongs and planning the next war.

[quote name='Schad' date='02 March 2010 - 10:00 PM' timestamp='1267596223' post='2212371']
I for one support any universe in which toaster-fueled nuclear weapons can be lobbed by the thousands.

As the only interaction with any depth is between nation leaders and not with the nation itself, the reduction of domestic matters to numbers almost makes sense in a way given the way you're forced to govern. We're all negligent and outward-looking leaders who couldn't care one whit about our citizenry, so long as they keep pumping cash into our coffers (and as they invariably do when they aren't rioting, why mess with a good thing by paying attention to them?) and fighting our wars. Being so focused on international relations, it's all just numbers on a ledger, with complex concepts reduced to simplified terms like 'tech' by ministers who realize that when it comes to domestic policy, your attention span parallels a hamster on speed. Could be anything from manufactured products to natural resources...you just don't care because you're too busy counting your dongs and planning the next war.
[/quote]

hilarious. Would read again :awesome:

EDIT: read it again. Still hilarious

Edited by master splinter

Tech - You send money to a nation with a weaker economy for cheaply produced goods based on your highly advanced schematics, which are then shipped back to your nation upon completion.
Labor Camp Swapping - Perhaps you could explain it as national holidays where they get time off to celebrate? (The perfect time to give them time to sit down and file taxes, I say.)
The fact that you military can be 80% of your working citizens. In America its not even 1% - All citizens are trained to fight, and automatically drafted in to Wars. (Especially Defensive troops.)

Another thing I don't understand is how can you make off with land from any nation you raid?

Surely you don't share a border with every nation you take land off for you to simply be able to shift the border in your favour every time you gain land during a war.

Edited by Prime minister Johns

Change techology to technologists and then things make more sense. You pay low wages in poor, underdeveloped countries to do research/training (in facilities you are paying for/supporting) of technologists and when they are trained up they are shipped over to advanced nations to develop stuff like moon bases and what have you.

[quote name='Prime minister Johns' date='03 March 2010 - 10:05 AM' timestamp='1267610943' post='2212477']
Another thing I don't understand is how can you make off with land from any nation you raid?

Surely you don't share a border with every nation you take land off for you to simply be able to shift the border in your favour every time you gain land during a war.
[/quote]

That could be explained by non contiguous borders. Like pre federal Germany, where you control packets of lands all over and when battles are fought, some of these packets transfer ownership.

[quote name='Hymenbreach' date='03 March 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1267612450' post='2212489']
That could be explained by non contiguous borders. Like pre federal Germany, where you control packets of lands all over and when battles are fought, some of these packets transfer ownership.
[/quote]
But land you capture adds to the size of the circle on the in game map that is very clearly a contiguous area of land.

This is why this is such a mystery to me. if the world map was something like a risk game board this explanation might make more sense.

Edited by Prime minister Johns

[quote name='Prime minister Johns' date='02 March 2010 - 11:28 PM' timestamp='1267590727' post='2212258']
tech raiding makes no sense at all in RL terms as well.

It would be the equivalent of a n advanced first world nation looting the technology of some third world nation and stealing their horses & carts to advance their knowledge about computers or other similar high tech devices.
[/quote]

I'd view tech raiding like colonial days. Where a country was searching around the world and came upon this small nation who didn't have the means to protect itself. Set up shop so to say, farmed the people for resources, then left them alone. Or if they fought back they stayed there longer farming more and more.

[quote name='Prime minister Johns' date='03 March 2010 - 06:35 AM' timestamp='1267619916' post='2212532']
But land you capture adds to the size of the circle on the in game map that is very clearly a contiguous area of land.

This is why this is such a mystery to me. if the world map was something like a risk game board this explanation might make more sense.
[/quote]

I just ignore the circles on the map...the northeastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo probably isn't the most commonly-chosen location, but I'm sure there are several dozen nations with which it overlaps. The fact that my nation was originally located in a shopping mall several thousand miles away, and many other nations have picked up and moved several times, is likewise something that needs to be ignored for even basic role-playing to be possible.

My theory on the land is that Bob is huge. Absolutely, unbelievably huge. Only a portion of Bob features permanent settlements; the rest is in the process of being endlessly colonized, nuked, stolen and abandoned, and might be the former territory of the 364,000 nations that have ceased to exist, but still features a small population. When you steal land, you're annexing those colonies, and when your nation grows naturally it's merely expanding those colonies into previously neutral territory.

Incidentally, the size of the world can be used as an explanation for the fact that entire wars can be fought in a day or two, and tens of thousands of citizens can appear out of the blue; as it's a planet many times the size of ours, and thus takes an eternity to complete a single rotation, a day on Bob is the equivalent of a couple years on Earth.

Edit: checked the World Demographics thingy, and Planet Bob apparently has a claimed surface area of roughly 315 trillion square miles, if my junior high math hasn't failed me. Earth: something like 200m sq. mi. So yeah...must be pretty long days.

Edited by Schad

[quote name='Hymenbreach' date='03 March 2010 - 05:29 AM' timestamp='1267612367' post='2212487']
Change techology to technologists and then things make more sense. You pay low wages in poor, underdeveloped countries to do research/training (in facilities you are paying for/supporting) of technologists and when they are trained up they are shipped over to advanced nations to develop stuff like moon bases and what have you.
[/quote]
Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. Tech can be thought of as scientists/scholars/etc, who can think of technological ways to make your nation more advanced.

Tech deals are like buying smart people from poor nations.

Tech raiding is like stealing smart people from poor nations. :P

Stealing land is simple: on Planet Bob, we have created giant primordial black holes, which can suck up swaths of enemy land after a battle in order to force them to build bridges to move across said landspace again. We then decide that we could use the land we took to fill in the gorges our enemies created when they attacked us by making the primordial black hole overeat and explode, thus releasing giant boulders which magically take the shape of the gorge.

Or something like that.

[quote name='Johnny Apocalypse' date='03 March 2010 - 05:30 PM' timestamp='1267655644' post='2213009']
imo we should be on a different planet, that'd make things a bit more interesting.
[/quote]
:CyberPlanets:

It would totally work.