Deutsche Welle - German News

Kaiser Martens

[b]Extreme Conditions Training[/b]
Sixteen Infantry Divisions left Germany for Helheim today, bound on a boat for Niflheim, Germany's antarctic research station. They will be stationed in Helheim for three months before coming back to Germany, unless of course a situation arises where they will be needed.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]Budget Changes[/b]
Less guns, more knowledge

It was announced that the military budget would be reduced gradually by 5% over the next few years. This has come as a surprise in the most militaristic nation of the planet, and the Althing has decided in their latest communicate that "The Germanic Militarism, as a part of our culture, is not necessarily attached to the amount of Marks placed on it on paper, that it will remain, but due to the unprecedented period of long-term peace Europe at large is undergoing, continuing to gear up for a war that will simply not happen would be counter productive in the long run. Already our depots are full to the brim with material, even "Spare" tank divisions. Producing any more items would simply be useless. Over time, we will decrease the budget provided that the political situation of the continent remains the same, and we will use those funds instead for Medicine, Education, and Research, while continuing not to touch our large war chest. We already have schools and hospitals everywhere, but it is time to improve the quality, not the quantity, of our services. Life expectancy is expected to rise, and so is the amount of men and women who reach high education level."

These measures were well received in most areas save for, of course, some die-hard old guard Generals and other officers who see anything that undermines the military as a potential threat. "You can never have enough bombs" - are quoted to say some of these gentlemen, and "We need to build more because everybody around us will do the same. We need to continue having our current advantage!"

----------

In other news, a museum at Strassburg has been innaugurated built around the history of Elsass-Lothringen, the ever-conflictive zone, and having as a centerpiece a large amount of information and material from France and Germany during the latest Franco-German war, where the region was once more the most intense battlefield by far. However, unlike what one may expect, the museum (While clearly Germanic in nature) does not attempt to outright demonize the French neighbors, but tries to be "fairly fair" so to speak. The funds collected by the museum will be destined to helping victims and families of victims of the Franco-German war in both countries, and also victims of the London Nuclear Holocausts. The Franco-German Brigade, based at Metz, is tasked with protecting the museum and often hold fancy ceremonies for people to witness.

But not all is progress in Germany. Tensions continue in Skaane and the main Danish Islands - centered on Köbnhavn, where independentist movements have been holding well-organized yet so far peaceful protests for autonomy - not as a bloc, but essentially each sector wishing to rule itself. Berlin was quoted as saying that they should be more grateful due to having been freed from Lübeck and Vega, especially considering the vast investments to improve the regions. In response to this, protests continues but they also have begun burning effigies of Vega and other Lübeck and Denmark former leaders, as if to say: "That is true: But still we want something else."

Reports have arisen that the Scanian Movement seems to be gaining popularity in Sweden proper. Troops have been stationed at these borders to prevent any potential issues. At least, in Jütland, Slesvig and other formerly-Danish areas the people seems wholly indifference to what they call "Petty movements", believing that the only relevant thing is that we are all Germanic and the Government is doing a fine job.

[i]Fort Adelaide, Germany[/i]

The Franco-German Brigade had never been a unit that had seen a great deal of action after their creation following the Franco-German War. Not soon after Fort Adelaide had been build the French Republic under Claire Delacour had collapsed much to the sadness of those French soldiers still in the Brigade, even worse was when their ideas of Republicanism, Democracy, or even Napoleonic Imperialism were dashed by the rise of the French Communal state, how many of those men and women with French names, with French backgrounds, cried at night because they seemed destined to never fit in anywhere. Everywhere they journeyed they were Second-Class, they were the butt of jokes, they were men and women without a country, trying to fit in a Europe that had advanced too far into the future for them breathe. The days would go by like out of a story book, in the morning there were drills, in the afternoon there was mess, in the early evening there were drills again and then it was time for a game of cards, exercise for the fanatics, or sleep for the fatigued, but it was always the same day in and day out, maddening.

However one day on a dark Thursday morning, when the soldiers woke from their barracks and the rain poured down in sheets from the sky as they stood at attention on the parade ground waiting for orders. General Meyer-Lefevre stood as he always did, looking over the ranks of the men and women before him while drops of water formed a puddle in the ridge of his cap. He groaned. "To be outside in weather like this, its almost sickening, its been raining for five days, I can't take much more of this."

"Well we can't give them a day off Herr General, Berlin would have our heads."

"Paris would have your heads too." Said a voice from behind him, as he looked there was a woman in a white Imperial French uniform, a long French Braid who had a striking resemblance to Adelaide Josselyne. She smiled and bowed her head, extended a rain-soaked hand while her other held a suitcase of clothes and other material. "Claire Delacour ready for duty in the Franco-German Brigade Monsieur, I am at your command. Its finally time I came home to the men and women that I commanded at the beginning."

Meyer-Lefevre was visibly surprised, and both of his eyebrows rose in admiration when seeing that uniform. In spite of all, the brigade was still allowed to use it. Why wouldn't they be? There'd never be a war between the two uniforms again, anyway.

"And this new Paris would still have our heads just for being what we are: Frenchmen, or, to some, Frankish. Before many of us used to view the German Menace as destructive towards French Culture and this region as stolen...but...with the red, belligerent wave that has swept one of our Fatherlands, ironically, we and this region are all that remain of our old, true France...do not forget that we have two responsabilities. We have to show the world what we can do when the time for battle comes...be it a war for liberation or for protection of our home and Fort. The Reds will never set foot on here, and as long as we exist, there will always be a hope for France's freedom." He salutes Claire respectfully. "My lady, is is a great surprise and honor to have you among us. What can we do for you? We are at your service still."

Just like the Roman Church became the protectors of Old Roman culture and language in spite of having promoted Christianism which had destroyed it, now this conflictive region that once threatened all of France's future was in fact in some ways more French than modern France itself. The old, true France, the France of Karl der Grosse in spite of his falling out of grace in the Silver regime of Pagans and Atheists.

"I've been a woman without a home for too long Monsieur General, I failed France once already, I failed Therese and ever since that night in the fields I haven't really been able to sleep as well as I would have liked. Athens isn't a home, the Empress promised me Governorship of the old French Protectorate, but after the Communists took over, well I can't really adjust to Athenian Aristocratic life, I'm not much of an aristocrat and I'm definitely not much of a Greek. But I was hoping that I might be able to join up with the Brigade, or even some part of the regular army around here. Its at least close to my homeland, the same air, the same forests and such." Claire smiled. "And of course I'm willing to enter in at any rank given to me, whether enlistee or not, but I am skilled in tactics and warfare, at least to a General's knowledge, just to put out my recommendation early."

She stood at ease after. "So if the Brigade would have me, for anything really, I'd be glad to put what muscle I have behind it and if not." She laughed. "To get out of this rain for the day. I started hiking it from Genoa and it hasn't stopped pouring since."

"Rank here is...less formal than in other parts of the Imperial Army" - He says, purposefully having translated Reichswehr to French as he went on - "We just have them for organizative purposes, but we are all here with a common culture and history...well, enlist and from what I know you will be useful in the logistics area. It's boring but...less time out under the relentless weather outside for you, my Lady...."

"Yeah...this is not exactly home I must say...but it is as close as it will get. And it certainly is better than being in France at the moment. But you have faith. Our land will see better days. Until then, we'll take care of what little remains of it." He smirks, "And I'll be damned if I could integrate into a Greek society. How did you manage to be there for so long?"

She followed Meyer-Lefevre into one of the barracks and took off her own cap throwing it onto one of the nearby tables and taking a seat. The barracks were quaint, a small fire burning the hearth at the end of the lines of beds and the building itself smelt of fresh pine. "I didn't really have anywhere else to go, the pension that the Empress of Athens gave me was unreal, honestly I would have been able to live comfortably for the rest of my life. But it just wasn't the same, it was nice to be sure and I was able to get a decent tan, though I always thought of returning to Western and Central Europe and see what all I could find from Therese's era, maybe even become a historian on the French Empire or Europe in general. So many things have been changing as of now, I'm not sure I can even keep up anymore."

Claire sighed. "Its not that I have a disdain for France, the current one I mean, they're my people, they're the people I failed...so the thought of seeing better days would be to the answer to every prayer I say before going to bed. As to the enlistment." Her eyes widened. "I would be honored to work in logistics, honestly wherever the Brigade would have use of me, would be fine. Thank you General."

[b]Triumvirate Shifting[/b]
[i]von Lübeck quits, de Keizer arrives[/i]

After the unification of Sweden and the creation of the Aarhus defensive pact encompassing the Germanic Nations, it would seem as if yet another monumental goal of the Germanic Union has been reached without violence. Stockholm, Berlin and Oslo have done their part to promote European long-term stability and agree to stand as brothers. In the frame of these events and the proliferation of non-military pursuits across the Germanic Union, Lord von Lübeck of the Triumvirate has decided to give up his position, having accomplished his missions already.

The Althing has then selected among several other candidates Jan de Keizer to become the new Triumvirate Lord. Jan de Keizer, born in Utrecht. So far he had been a low-profile figure, dealing with secretive operations as well as logistics of war and economy. His rank in the Reichswehr had been so far been Lieutenant General and he had studied economics in university. The Althing praises him for his useful creativity and flexibility in past actions, and know him to be reliable both in peace and wartime.

Now in his Althing uniform, he has returned to his home town to celebrate. But tomorrow already he has to start planning the budget and investment schemes for the next year. This is the first time in history that a Dutch-born citizen is now, under the Germanic Union, in fact one of the three rulers at Berlin. Until now, it had been mostly Nordheimers and South Germans save of course for the Martens family, so in spite of the lack of democracy proper, the government grows more representative and the people more united.

• 2 weeks later...

[b]A new Germanic Wonder:[/b]
[i]Fallout Shelters everywhere![/i]

After a long time of studying historical bunkers and applying new technologies, Germanic Union has let the world know that it has finalized the construction of nationwide shelters. Using a team of professionals, some of which had first-hand experience in the old Ãœbersteinian Underground Cities and considerable resources, a network of tunnels and multi-layer underground fortifications has been created in order to be able to provide the people with a viable environment even in the face of catastrophic events, typically, nuclear warfare. The Bunkers are not only designed with military purposes, but have civilian facilities, even "compressed", compact schools, hospitals, and some entertainment facilities.

Trium Lord de Keizer has said, "Although Europe has been more stable than ever, we are still commited to our people's safety. Only that this time, instead of doing so through the construction of additional weaponry, we are focusing on defenses, which are as well a deterrent."

Also random parties were held due to the fall of the belligerent communist regime of France.

OOC: This means I am no longer locked

Edited by Kaiser Martens

[b]A small but important monument[/b]
[i]In west low germany[/i]

Following the death of Staatspresident Botha, a statue on a pedestal has been created in Groningen. On the pedestal, an inscription reads in Afrikaans and New Dutch, "Staatspresident Botha of South Africa. Throughout his life he struggled successfully to bring equality and civilization to the forgotten continent. His contributions to our world will never be forgotten." - Afterwards, a bust of his would be placed in the Walhalla Temple in South Germany.

Some had objected to the construction of the Nuclear Shelters, but as nuking continues, public opinion is now completely favoring them.

[b]Loss of Contact with the Slavic Neighbors[/b]
[i]New Protectorate in Europe claimed[/i]

Upon realizing that the government of the Nordic-Slavic Federation had been idle for too long, Berlin has decided to step into the situation to attempt to provide a stability framework to the region.

"At this time we do not understand what is precisely going on, but we are considering that the new government form may have simply failed to thrive. We cannot contact government officials, an accident similar to the Polish Plane Crash is not out of question either. Their armed forces are not receiving their payments, and for the most part appear to have outright disbanded. There have been instances of rioting, and we aim to end this, and ask for our allies' support in this endeavour."

[i]Germanic Union officially declares the regions a Protectorate.[/i]

"We will not be annexing any of the regions, but we will be paying close attention through polls to what the Locals may wish once that some manner of stability is obtained. We have moved four Panzer Divisions and ten Infantry Divisions for peacemaking, one third of which will be designed for the Asian Section of the Protectorate. However, we would hope that an Asian Nation close to this fallen nation may take over that responsability, as we consider the zone to be outside of our traditional sphere of influence. We ask for the people's cooperation, and in turn we will do the best for them, whether if they identify themselves with the fallen state or have other ideas."

The Greater Nordic Empire of Dalmatia had ceased to exist, but its population would be still protected by the Germanic Union.

Edited by Kaiser Martens

"In that case our protection divisions will remain in Europe, recognizing the Asian sovereignty over, in fact, Asia. As for Arkhangelsk, I would like to please know what the situation is regarding this territory and its conflict. Furthermore, I consider that the best course of action on it would be a Plebiscite to determine what the people wish."

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1297648179' post='2631820']
The United Federation of the East, Novak, and Rebel Army declare the Asian lands of the GNED our triple protectorate.
[/quote]

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' timestamp='1297648276' post='2631826']
"In honor of our fallen ally, friends and comrades, Novak supports the protectorate and hereby places a protectorate over the Asian territories of the former nation."
[/quote]

While we appreciate UFE, Novak and Rebel Army's efforts at declaring protectorate over the Asian lands of GNED we must point out the obvious fact that apart from Rebel Army's borders near Tbilisi, neither of the other nations share any land borders with the territory of former GNED. Considering the Kingdom's long history of association with the Kazakh regions and other Central Asian regions, we propose that the territories of former GNED from Karagandy to Caspian Sea be under Cochin Protectorate. With our direct land borders we could better protect these regions while also ensuring stability and aid for the people of these regions. Would that not be a better alternative for the people of the region rather than having to depend upon UFE or Novak who would have to cover such long distances over such circuitous routes just to provide aid and security to the people?

[quote name='Kaiser Martens' timestamp='1297648027' post='2631811']
[b]Loss of Contact with the Slavic Neighbors[/b]
[i]New Protectorate in Europe claimed[/i]

Upon realizing that the government of the Nordic-Slavic Federation had been idle for too long, Berlin has decided to step into the situation to attempt to provide a stability framework to the region.

"At this time we do not understand what is precisely going on, but we are considering that the new government form may have simply failed to thrive. We cannot contact government officials, an accident similar to the Polish Plane Crash is not out of question either. Their armed forces are not receiving their payments, and for the most part appear to have outright disbanded. There have been instances of rioting, and we aim to end this, and ask for our allies' support in this endeavour."

[i]Germanic Union officially declares the regions a Protectorate.[/i]

"We will not be annexing any of the regions, but we will be paying close attention through polls to what the Locals may wish once that some manner of stability is obtained. We have moved four Panzer Divisions and ten Infantry Divisions for peacemaking, one third of which will be designed for the Asian Section of the Protectorate. However, we would hope that an Asian Nation close to this fallen nation may take over that responsability, as we consider the zone to be outside of our traditional sphere of influence. We ask for the people's cooperation, and in turn we will do the best for them, whether if they identify themselves with the fallen state or have other ideas."

The Greater Nordic Empire of Dalmatia had ceased to exist, but its population would be still protected by the Germanic Union.
[/quote]

The Second Army mostly stationed in Macedonia and Bulgaria would move towards the border with their former northern neighbor however stand back for now.

[quote]To: The Germanisk Förbund

We both lost an ally with the fall of the Slavic government, we request permission to assist in protecting the region, specifically the Balkan regions.[/quote]

• 4 weeks later...

[b]The Union Develops[/b]
[i]And an old face returns[/i]

At first, upon Austria's Departure and the loss of some other territories, there had been noticeable economic damage in the Germanic Union. However, the Government had been ready for that situation. Today, a year after the ordeal started, the economy has once more established and the technology level has started to grow steadily once again. Part of the War Chest had been released to cover for the new expenses, and now with the Land's necesities once again covered, already the process of rebuilding the chest is in fact, over.

von Glücksburg has announced that a new plan of Infrastructural Investments will be released next year, and that additionally, Technological growth will resume with renovated ferocity. "Germania is still one of the most advanced Nations on Earth."

Later on the same day, Lord de Keizer has welcomed Baron Überstein back to the Fatherland over at Zürich. Apparently, the controversial figured and the Union have at least made peace proper. Überstein's small plot of land, controlled de-facto by the union has at last been recognized by him to be a part of the country proper, and the Baron has been sent out to be the administrator of the region of Aaland, which he had ruled in the past.

OOC: Uber gave me permission for that over MSN.