Deutsche Welle - German News

Kaiser Martens

"We are not going to say no to any of the requests, however we request that you wait thirty days (IC ones, so not very long at all) before approaching - We are going to take some time in reestabilizing the country. After that, we will, upon referendum, state what we will do with this Land, and look for ways to please our good Allies and Comrades too."

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]The Fate of Greenland[/b]

OOC: Derp the map makes Greenland seem so massive...

[img]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii29/voxpopuli_album/greenland.png[/img]

It was decided that the areas marked in red would be annexed by Germanic Union. The rest of the areas would remain indefinitely as a protectorate, and an invitation is extended to Athens in case that they may wish, like in France, to exercise shared protectorateship of the region.

As soon as the current European crisis finishes, large investments for the develop of Greenland are planned.

[b]ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE FREE ASSOCIATION[/b]

This is absolutely disgusting. The rape and pillaging of a proud island nation has occurred in a matter of days, partitioned amongst a bunch of nations who care about little more than expanding their spheres of influence.

We have no issue with the Germanic people, but we do protest a government that seems to do little more than gobble up its neighbors, under the guise of "protection" before slowly annexing them completely. The most recent announcement of annexation of the Greenland coast only strengthens this fear.

If Germany truly cared for the people of Greenland, it would rescind its notice of annexation and work with the people of Greenland to re-establish a government. The Eggman Empire is one of the oldest nations in existence on Planet Bob, and we find it extremely likely that the government can be reformed immediately. Doing this will earn you our respect as well as that of others for your ability to be a responsible global power.

If need be, the Free Association is willing to facilitate talks between the Germanic Union and the people of Greenland (OOC: Eggman Empire). Many immigrants to the Free Association are from the once-proud nations of Atlantis and Groenlandia and would like to ensure their homeland maintains its sovereignty and freedom.

"The Greenlandic Government has had a history of being in the verge of total breakdown [i](OOC: Being idle a lot and then posting once to survive)[/i] and this has been a source of instability for its own people, and, potentially, for other nations over time. Because of this, it is not an option to restore the old nation - such a thing would be ill fated."

"Our annexation and protection of Greenland is not indefinite. If a new Greenland happened to eventually be a viable option, we might not necessarily continue to hold onto our Annexed Zones. Additionally, to our cultural and geographical position we're among the most capable of protecting this area. If we were not commited to our words, we would have simply annexed the whole territory, which is something that we will never do."

"Lastly, it is easy to criticize while nothing is being done, we are putting time, money and effort in reestabilizing this area for good. In time, we are confident, that a new government will arise - both here and in France as well, to mention the other protectorate. For now, we will continue to take the saving of the local lives as our responsability, but when the day for independence comes, we will be more than glad."

"How could this be rape if instead of taking things from them in fact our shipping is aimed at reestablishing institutions and saving lives? It would be a rape if we were looting, which we are not. Either way, if we had not done as we do here, we are certain that Vikings would have raided the area themselves, as far as raping is involved."

"We are sorry that our intentions are misunderstood, but in the future, it'll be the Greenlanders the one that judge our humanitarian intervention, and we will make sure that everything adds up."

[quote name='Kaiser Martens' timestamp='1304726309' post='2707767']
"The Greenlandic Government has had a history of being in the verge of total breakdown [i](OOC: Being idle a lot and then posting once to survive)[/i] and this has been a source of instability for its own people, and, potentially, for other nations over time. Because of this, it is not an option to restore the old nation - such a thing would be ill fated."[/quote]

The Greenlanders are a people unlike either you or myself. They live in a harsh climate where less communication is to be expected. The very fact their ancient nation has withstood the test of time is a sentiment to their tenacity to survive and thrive where most cannot. You say "verge of total breakdown" to reinforce an illegal action committed by your government against an entire nation of proud people.

The Free Association has many immigrants from the former nations of Atlantis and Groenlandia, which shared Greenland with the Eggman Empire. None of these people describe the Empire as instable, rather it has been a stabilizing force in America through its participation in the Confederation of Arctic Nations, amongst other things.

Most, importantly, the Eggman Empire posed and poses no threat to outside nations. Never once has it attacked or shown signs of attacking another nation, it's only time of conflict was when it was being invaded by the Federated States of America. I find your use of the slippery slope fallacy particularly disturbing; our high schoolers are taught to avoid such fallacies, yet you use them on the world stage to support your conquests? It further strengthens our belief you have committed an immoral act and should leave Greenland to the Greenlanders.

[quote]"Our annexation and protection of Greenland is not indefinite. If a new Greenland happened to eventually be a viable option, we might not necessarily continue to hold onto our Annexed Zones. Additionally, to our cultural and geographical position we're among the most capable of protecting this area. If we were not commited to our words, we would have simply annexed the whole territory, which is something that we will never do."[/quote]

Excellent, fortunately I believe a new Greenland is indeed a viable option. Am I to take it you are accepting our offer of facilitating the resumption of the former Eggman Empire? Our contacts suggest the people are eager to restore their former nation, and as a nation that is culturally and geographically close to the region I am sure you care for these people and would put their interests first.

[quote]"Lastly, it is easy to criticize while nothing is being done, we are putting time, money and effort in re-stabilizing this area for good. In time, we are confident, that a new government will arise - both here and in France as well, to mention the other protectorate. For now, we will continue to take the saving of the local lives as our responsibility, but when the day for independence comes, we will be more than glad."[/quote]

I repeat - will you then accept our offer to directly facilitate talks and allow the whole of Greenland to then claim independence? We believe this is possible, and through your continued support we can make this happen.

[quote]"How could this be rape if instead of taking things from them in fact our shipping is aimed at reestablishing institutions and saving lives? It would be a rape if we were looting, which we are not. Either way, if we had not done as we do here, we are certain that Vikings would have raided the area themselves, as far as raping is involved."[/quote]

You quickly annexed their coastline, taking what valuable land there was on that island. You claim that others would have raped them if you had not annexed their coastline and "protected" their nation, but you are as bad as these evil bogeymen you have conjured up to make you feel good about your decision. Why not assist these people - their determination and staunch ability to survive already proven - and help them retain their independence like the good neighbor you are trying to perpetrate yourself as?

[quote]"We are sorry that our intentions are misunderstood, but in the future, it'll be the Greenlanders the one that judge our humanitarian intervention, and we will make sure that everything adds up."[/quote]

We are more than capable of judging so-called interventions when we see them. Having a large portion of our population from Greenland it is our responsibility to ensure a free Greenland which is best for the people of that island. We expect a response to our request.

"Really it would be irresponsible of us to hand Greenland to the Eggman Empire, they have proved not to be up to the task. If a different Greenland is a possibility though, we will not deny them existance, and would even give them annexed land if needed. If Eggman Empire returned, we'd just see this situation repeating itself as it had before."

"I'm not gonna turn my back to the Greenlandic folk. We will guard this territory until a new Greenland or new Greenlands request their existance through yearly plebiscites."

[quote name='Kaiser Martens' timestamp='1304731138' post='2707808']
"Really it would be irresponsible of us to hand Greenland to the Eggman Empire, they have proved not to be up to the task. If a different Greenland is a possibility though, we will not deny them existance, and would even give them annexed land if needed. If Eggman Empire returned, we'd just see this situation repeating itself as it had before."

"I'm not gonna turn my back to the Greenlandic folk. We will guard this territory until a new Greenland or new Greenlands request their existance through yearly plebiscites."
[/quote]

We did not ask for more of your posturing on this matter. We asked for a simple yes or no answer. Do you intend to sit down and work with us on restoring an independent and sovereign Greenland with the best interests of the people, as you claim to want to do?

"If there is to be no Eggman Empire, then yes. A Stable Force is needed." (OOC: A stable player or several)

OOC: Also given the current international naval mess I will take this chance to say where my navy is, so I do not get to pull random locations out of...nowhere.

IC: Kriegsmarine Current Missions,

Task Force Jütland: Positioned between Norway and Denmark, blocking the way.
1 Corvette
1 Cruiser
1 Frigate
1 Destroyer
25 Skjöld Boats

Task Force Dänemark: Only Öresund is free from sea mines, but at the same time, a series of tankers 25 Skjöld Boats and the Battleship "Mannelig" guard this zone.

Task Force Grönland:
20 Submarines
10 Skjöld Boats
5 Underwater Air Carriers (They only carry one squadron each though, and of course must surface to deploy)
[i]+ many Noncombatant Civilian Cargo Ships around the area[/i]

Reserves: 15 Skjöld Boats (Amsterdam)
Large number of transport ships, many of which are underwater transport ships. (Very lightly armed)

Edited by Kaiser Martens

[u][b]The Economic Blitz[/b]
[i]The Athens-Berlin Alliance on Paper[/i][/u]

It has recently been announced that many Private Capitals in cooperation with Government Capitals of Northern and Southern Europe have, in spite of not annexing France, managed to control much of their economy. As France begins to stabilize very gradually, while much conflict is still seen in the West and South, a great deal of companies have been purchased while they were much more affordable, in order to save them and then make suitable profit.

"France's Economy was Ripe for Annexation, even if the area itself was not" - Said an old Martencist drunkard from Trondheim, who apparently is an economics expert.

Among the companies siezed, which are expected to become profitable in at most less than five years, we can name some:
A Novo, Ubisoft, Societe Generale, Schneider Electric, Schlumberger, Renault, Rexel, Citroen, Peugeot, Michelin, La Poste, LVMH, France Telecom, the non-English part of Eurotunnel, Dassault Group and Alcatel Lucent.

"The Rheingold is put to good use." - Dierik Martens

[u][b]Military Readiness in Germania[/b]
[i]From European Troubles[/i][/u]

Germanic Union continues to be in Military Readiness mode, and has upgraded its status from Low to Medium as ongoing problems seem to be seen in the continent. In the western half of former france, a low intensity kind of civil warfare still is ongoing, in the south, Austria seems to be in the brink of war as well and the whole North and East of Europe seem to be at odds against each other.

Germanic Union has therefore placed troops close to all of its borders excepting the GNED one, which seems to be the only other stable neighbor. Furthermore, two peacekeeping divisions have arrived to the new territory of Germanic union, which is to be called [i]Magnhildsland[/i].

"We are working overtime to broker a swedish-finnish-russian peace, we too are trying to hold back the far west civil war using the Francogerman Brigade and other assets, at the same time we're concerned that Torun might be falling into anarchy as well as Austria. These are surprising times, sadly, for our continent, and we will not be caught off guard."

[u][b]An Overdue Break[/b]
[i]And the Government Changes[/i][/u]

Earlier today, the Althing Announced that Lady von Glücksburg and Lord Martens are going to retire from their positions indefinitely in order to have a break.

"We have been leading Germania through its worst and best times, but we are now rather burnt out from all the job. Having accomplished peace in the Northern War, we will now leave it to the Greater Althing Parliament to decide on new members. Eventually, we might return to our positions." - Said Glücksburg.

The new Leaders of our Great Union have been announced now, after a special sitting of the Althing.

Firstly, Svea Friedhelmsdottar Driesen, A 33 year old Doctor in Germanistics of high profile and the first to seriously study Nordlandic Language, has been selected for her broad knowledge on all subjects Germanic and for her impecable service record in the Luftwaffe's logistics department. Born in Frisia to a Frisian Mother and a Scandinavian Father, she had always stood out even in early school as a promising student.

Secondly, Haukur Rainersson Hussing, from Königsberg, from a South German and Icelandic Family, has been involved in Althing politics as an aide to the Economy Ministry for several years now. Being now 39 years old, he is ready to bring his Financial and Military experience - he fought in the Battle of Königsberg against the Russian Invasion - to serve our Nation.

[u][b]Our Future[/b]
[i]The first announcement of Haukur Hussing[/i][/u]

Abbridged version after a speech over Radio Bismarck:

"Spearmen,

We are standing upon the shoulders of great leaders. The Martens Family and Lady von Glücksburg have done alongside my still-comrade de Keizer an impressive job unifying Germany and then Germania altogether. Recently, the last Germanic Region not controlled by a Germanic Government has been taken while what is rightfully non-germanic granted to the east. Indeed, this is a time of ultimate victory over the many hardships our Folk has gone through.

Therefore, I will take this chance to ascertain our path. We will continue to be loyal to our Country, but, not only that, to our Nation. We will continue to build from Germanic Ancient Tradition, taking elements from Martencism and as well much from other great figures of our history. Right now, as evidenced by the Northern War, we are in a time in which due to the stability of the continent, individual nations have begun to again seek an expansionist path. For although this may seem contradictory, it is when they have no internal problems and when they have safety that they seek to push their borders upon other peoples.

We believe that the basis for Long Term European Stability is the Dalmatian-Athenian-Germanic Axis, for while other nations have come and gone or if remained behaved erratically, we three have been the anchors onto which Europe remains in one piece without drifting. At the same time, we are deeply commited to protecting, above all, our own Germanic Sphere of Influence - Of course, Germanic Europe. The recent war put into question whether if we would do so or not due to the Northern Neighbors' mistaken decision. A government might be in the wrong, it might even need to change, cease and desist, but never will we give up on protecting our brothers. After all, they do have double citizenship. I mean of course those which we have spawned. Livland, Sverige, Österreich, and any others which may arise. In this age of complicated treaty tangling, we have become everybody's friend, therefore nobody's friend.

In spite of that, we will remain adamant and protect our interests. For we would never allow a legal paper to be the tree from which our brethren hang. We are henceforth adopting a doctrine which is to be the counterpart of GNED's pan-slavic doctrine. We declare that Greenland, England, Sweden, Livland, Österreich, Böhmen, and of course our own country proper to be the Germanic Sphere of influence to be protected above all from harm or if needed from themselves. So has it been stated on this day and so it shall be, as long as the Ravens fly.

Heil Germania."

Edited by Kaiser Martens

"Austria...the true Austria, will be under no one's sphere of influence. For too long, under the Hapsburg Regime, Austria has endured the embarrassment of being little more than a puppet of Germany, Athens, and others. Germany's stability and influence on Europe comes simply from annexing large swaths of territory, claiming some lost Germanic heritage, language or other cultural similarities. Well I will be the first to say, that while I may speak German, I am not a German. I am an Austria and my brothers and sisters are Austrian, we will not be recognized in this larger German family. While the Royalists may see this as a sign to continue to expand their borders and their coffers under the guise of German protection, the Republic will refuse. Vienna will one day be the only power in regards to Austria, never Berlin."
-Bridgette Saenger

"Your own opinion is irrelevant to us. We [i]will[/i] protect Austria regardless of your government's position on such a policy. Your Citizens are also our Citizens, and we care little for the fact that you may be a sovereign nation, which we know you to be, because while Wien calls the shots in Austria, we would never, ever let Austria fall prey to a non-Germanic, or in this case, non-Austrian peoples."

"It is good to know that the opinion of someone you are 'protecting' is irrelevant. Everything that Germany has said in the previous statement shows that it is only a guise of Sovereignty that Austria commands. If Austria moves against the greater idea of what is Germanic, then surely we will be corrected by your esteemed government. It is not the idea of protection that concerns us, it is the fact that we are no long 'allies' with Germany, we are part of the Greater Germanic Sphere. Austria is not a child of Germany and we are not citizens of Germany. While Sweden, England, and others may be fine with having their destiny's written from Berlin, we do not. If you want to protect us, fine, that is your choice and we would do the same. But do not label us as part of some greater sphere. Treat us as equals, not as weak men and women needing to be taken care of."

"Then I recommend you act accordingly. For if you are, as you say you are and as I think you are a strong, solid nation, then you need not take offense whatsoever - if your feet are firm and your mind sharp, you will not feel threatened nor belittled by the doctrine, because doing so would be underestimating yourselves. We are not looking down at you, so do not look up at us either. In fact, realize that we care about Austria and its sovereignty so much that it is our utmost priority, and I know you would return the favor on similar grounds it if were needed."

"It is the sheer fact of being labeled as a state within a nation's sphere of influence. A friendly state, of course, an ally, naturally, but it is this idea of being part of another nation's sphere that has lead to our revolution in the first place. When and if the Monarchy falls and so long as there are Revolutionaries breathing, then they will fall, we ask, simply for the sake of argument for Germany not to include Austria as part of it's greater sphere. If only for diplomacy's sake in the future. We appreciate that you have not involved yourself in our war, it shows Germany's sincerity much more than other nations across the world. But the pain is found in your very words. If Germany can honor this simple request then the future Republic will do everything in it's power to maintain good relations with our Northern neighbor. We are fighting this war to free ourselves from foreign intervention in the government, honor our principles and we will forever honor the friendship that we have maintained."

"You are asking us to turn our backs to Austria. Especially in a time like this, where it is surrounded by wolves, we cannot do that. I'll rather prefer to have bad relations with Austria so long as it is kept safe. Keep in mind that if we can say you are part of our sphere, you can claim the same about us and we would not take offense but would feel honored."

"Perhaps we have a difference in semantics, but I doubt that Livonia could boast that the entire Germanic Union is within their Sphere of Influence. Those words in themselves are poison, 'Sphere of Influence' is just another term for the Great Powers of the world to divide up chunks of land and claim dominance over them. You have said it yourself in your speech, Athens, Germany, and Dalmatia are the stable forces of Europe, but we do not need to look to your nations for stability and we do not expect such stability imposed on us. Do not get me wrong, all of Austria appreciates your diligence to allow us to conduct our own affairs, however bloody they may be, and if any nation would have the gall to attack us at this time, then I can assure you that every Austrian, Imperial and Republican will rally together to fight against just an insurrection. But again, if we are a family of equal brothers and sisters, treat us so. A Germanic Family fine, a brotherhood, an alliance, a family, but not a Sphere of Influence."

"Although you are correct, in that we could have chosen to use a less possesive wording, we find that we are absolutely required to do so, for if we were [i]any[/i] softer in our doctrines, third parties would end up trying to, indeed, make you a "chunk" or their "power area" themselves. We prefer to some degree to offend our neighbors if that is the price to be paid for making sure that those nations we care the most about will remain safe - that when other countries see them, they will not be able to think of disrupting them."

"I am sure we will discuss these matters more in the future, Herr Hussing, Europe has and always will be a powder keg. Our nations have been at each others necks for too long and I hope that history will not repeat itself. Sometimes a little offense goes a long way, I pray that we can offend each other with words and wit and while Austria will never accept being part of the German Sphere, we will always appreciate your aid and help for our nation and if needed, return the favor to our northern brothers and sisters."

[b]The End of Torun[/b]
[i]Independence: ABOLISHED[/i]

Earlier this morning as a series of unexplainable explosions started to destroy the town of Torun, after it had remained in anarchy for several weeks while separately under fire from the Russian Arsenal, it was decided that the situation could not be tolerated any moment - with rioting everywhere and a high number of civilian and infrastructural loss being registered, Germanic Union has decided to finally intervene to end this war. A message was relayed to Moscow in advance, and then Torun's state has been declare dissolved, the leaders nowhere to be found are presumed dead.

Two Germanic Divisions entered the town with humanitarian supplies has flooded the town, divisions previously surrounding it, in order to restore order and prevent further civilian casualties. It is estimated that one third of the city was totally destroyed, while the rest suffered moderate to medium damages. The civilian deaths are at this time unknown, and the zone has been declared uninhabitable, and they are being sent to refugee camps.

"For a long time we had kept Torun embraced in Germania tightly and protected. It is a shame that once that they ventured into freedom, they would find a swift path to destruction...perhaps it is our fault for having allowed them to be independent, but we could not ignore their will. I suppose it doesn't matter now, doesn't it? We shall do our best to make sure that these former-torunians can return to something resembling a good, peaceful life as soon as possible."

And so "Thorn" returned to the Germanic Map, in a tragedy.

Any leftover military material was retained, as were some of the ships over at Sokol.

Edited by Kaiser Martens