What is the purpose served by procterates

Zarfef

Procterates  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now, there are some who would say that due to recent events, I am somewhat biased. That I will admit is true, as I wouldn't normally think about procterates on a day to day basis unless the stupid things started affecting me, especially when I feel they never should. But it does beg the question in CN, why do procterates exist to begin with?!

As far as I can see, procterates only act as land claims by large scale nations without them looking like they are land hogs (It's a way for them to claim land without claiming land). The claim that players can ask for the regions the same as white space is wrong because it implies that the new nation should never cause any trouble for the other country contrary to potential IC play, it is a way of effectively influencing IC interactions through OOC affairs. "Asking" also implies that you can be turned down essentially allowing these players to pick and choose definite allies into the RP. The result only seems to further a rather clichish nature which I am seeing more and more of on these boards that borders on high school level teenage groups, it also seems to limit potentially interesting plots that (while not in line with the ego-centric americana viewpoint) are quite interesting.

That stated, why not state that all procterates are really other states which don't interact with world affairs and leave them as white space to be claimed within reason by any new players? Only when the map is filled, THEN would there be the need to have some larger states give up land to new players. Currently though, if we keep being meant to them like some kind of Cliche we're not going to get any new ones that stay for long.

And if fantasy RP is just a way to boost the egos of larger nations by giving them a cliche' it no longer has a purpose within the forums as it would seem to me.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reason why North America isn't all filled and has room is because of its protectorates (largely mine and Mudd's some are Pravus', some are JED's) - the reason why I have them is to prevent excessive expansion by nations and ensure there always is room for newcomers - sometimes, I endorse expansion of veteran nations if they can back it up with good RP.

I don't like protectorates. Its a form of imperialism. It is bad enough that most nations cannot drop off the world map into white space, but its getting really bad that places where NO nation has ever been are being claimed as protectorates.

Really I try to do everything I can to cripple the spread of protectorates.

Protectorates feel like a necessary evil to stop one or two landhogs from taking up all the space on the map, but I agree it feels just like another form of imperialism, for stronger nations to basically claim a piece of land without consequence. New nations should be claim a part of any protectorate without the protector's permission, IMHO.

Edited by Teriethien

Consider it this way, guys: If all that land was white space and not a protectorate, people like LVN would control half the damn world by now, leaving literally NO space for new players. As a nation that started out in Antarctica (probably THE hardest place to RP next to Europe) I waited what I thought a long time to get some new land because I had no fricken' clue how protectorates worked.

I'm not arguing against protectorates, no. I'm just saying that if a new player doesn't know how protectorates work (like I did) then they're likely to go to Antarctica, which Tahsir has graciously gobbled up.

They are a legit IC move, in my opinion. If you don't like it IC, do something about it IC.

But what of the OOC implications? if a new player would like to set up a nation in the area but is denied by the person controlling the land what can they do other than complain and moan?

Honestly protectorates make me laugh...cause when I had my empire, no one asked for my protectorates they just asked for my land. So I mean I think for the most part people are pretty good as long as you ask nicely. No, you aren't going to get everything your heart desires, but this game is about patience, you wait long enough, you'll get it.

Now, there are some who would say that due to recent events, I am somewhat biased. That I will admit is true, as I wouldn't normally think about procterates on a day to day basis unless the stupid things started affecting me, especially when I feel they never should. But it does beg the question in CN, why do procterates exist to begin with?!

As far as I can see, procterates only act as land claims by large scale nations without them looking like they are land hogs (It's a way for them to claim land without claiming land). The claim that players can ask for the regions the same as white space is wrong because it implies that the new nation should never cause any trouble for the other country contrary to potential IC play, it is a way of effectively influencing IC interactions through OOC affairs. "Asking" also implies that you can be turned down essentially allowing these players to pick and choose definite allies into the RP. The result only seems to further a rather clichish nature which I am seeing more and more of on these boards that borders on high school level teenage groups, it also seems to limit potentially interesting plots that (while not in line with the ego-centric americana viewpoint) are quite interesting.

That stated, why not state that all procterates are really other states which don't interact with world affairs and leave them as white space to be claimed within reason by any new players? Only when the map is filled, THEN would there be the need to have some larger states give up land to new players. Currently though, if we keep being meant to them like some kind of Cliche we're not going to get any new ones that stay for long.

And if fantasy RP is just a way to boost the egos of larger nations by giving them a cliche' it no longer has a purpose within the forums as it would seem to me.

The system has been in effect ever since we worked with filled maps(the time way before you joined where if you wanted to play you were condemned to Africa) and has always worked as supposed to, should we open up to land maps will be filled and you cant force a nation to give up land. As such my vote is to keep Protectorates. The profits are bigger than the losses.

I figured that taking Protectorates stopped one or two nations filling up space where ten or twenty normal-sized ones would fit

That is the exact goal of protectorates yes.

But what of the OOC implications? if a new player would like to set up a nation in the area but is denied by the person controlling the land what can they do other than complain and moan?

Roleplay a rebellion, gather international support, a protectorate only works if the protector can back it up.

Roleplay a rebellion, gather international support, a protectorate only works if the protector can back it up.

But if the land is protected but someone does that mean that the land is classed as theirs? Because if it does then the person asking for the land needs the protectors permission which they obviously won't get. If it isn't classed as theirs then there would be no problem just this point needs clarifying.

But if the land is protected but someone does that mean that the land is classed as theirs? Because if it does then the person asking for the land needs the protectors permission which they obviously won't get. If it isn't classed as theirs then there would be no problem just this point needs clarifying.

I've always considered Protectorates white space and a courtesy of requesting the protector(s). They serve as occupied land for those already established not those still not in the game.

I've always considered Protectorates white space and a courtesy of requesting the protector(s). They serve as occupied land for those already established not those still not in the game.

Hmm thats what I thought but I think we need a community decision on it so that we know what it is for everyone.

It still means a new player’s entry into CNRP is entirely dependent on the goodwill of an established player. Edited by Generalissimo

Consider it this way, guys: If all that land was white space and not a protectorate, people like LVN would control half the damn world by now, leaving literally NO space for new players. As a nation that started out in Antarctica (probably THE hardest place to RP next to Europe) I waited what I thought a long time to get some new land because I had no fricken' clue how protectorates worked.

I'm not arguing against protectorates, no. I'm just saying that if a new player doesn't know how protectorates work (like I did) then they're likely to go to Antarctica, which Tahsir has graciously gobbled up.

Honestly protectorates make me laugh...cause when I had my empire, no one asked for my protectorates they just asked for my land. So I mean I think for the most part people are pretty good as long as you ask nicely. No, you aren't going to get everything your heart desires, but this game is about patience, you wait long enough, you'll get it.

Now, this woman speaks the truth...it is true not everyone will give you what you want...but the same is true of anything in real life. And just like in real life, some people are going to be snobs... :rolleyes:

It still means a new player's entry into CNRP is entirely dependent on the goodwill of an established player.

As N Reeki Stated earlier...they are the lesser of two evils, really. Do you want the limitting factor of a protectorate, or the bigger limit of a nation actually laying claim to all the land?

As N Reeki Stated earlier...they are the lesser of two evils, really. Do you want the limitting factor of a protectorate, or the bigger limit of a nation actually laying claim to all the land?
A lesser of two evils is still evil, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s feudalism. Edited by Generalissimo

I'll be ditching that massive protectorate soon enough :v: I hate having them.

Protectorates keep greedy nations from expanding too large and enable newcomers to join the RP. The Scottish protectorate in Spain/France has been a very good example of this as I have granted territory to five brand new nations that could not have existed otherwise (Euzkadi, France, Conti, Portugal, and Blackjack's nation).

Another positive aspect is that we as protectors can keep psychos like Krieg from ruining the CNRP. I would have never allowed him to join the game.

Protectorates keep greedy nations from expanding too large and enable newcomers to join the RP. The Scottish protectorate in Spain/France has been a very good example of this as I have granted territory to five brand new nations that could not have existed otherwise (Euzkadi, France, Conti, Portugal, and Blackjack's nation).

Another positive aspect is that we as protectors can keep psychos like Krieg from ruining the CNRP. I would have never allowed him to join the game.

And thats the problem no player should have the right or the ability to decide whether a player can join or not if some phsyco wants to join then they can regardless of what others think.

It's not the end of the world if somebody doesn't get the EXACT spot of land they want. When I first started RPing, I wanted Illinois. I saw it was taken and went to Antarctica. It's not that hard for a person to accept the fact that maybe, just MAYBE their land isn't available and they can find some new land. It's also not hard to go to another person holding a different protectorate and ask them.