How Karma made me better than all of you

Sal Paradise

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a (hilarious) part of the problem is the number of people who completely miss the satire and take this seriously.

Well that's just the mark of good satire. Otherwise it would simply be above average sarcasm. :P

Edited by Uhtred

A war can always be fought for "the right reasons." If no war measures up to your particular standards, then that is your problem, not the problem of those that support it under certain circumstances.

We must avoid moral relativism, both here on Planet Bob and in RL. An environment of moral relativism is what NPO thrived in and attempted to advocate strongly through Francoism.

Never question if the war against NPO a good war. That is the talk of a generation of self doubters that vex my RL nation. I'd like to think that perhaps we can do better here.

Don't get me wrong I never said that I had no morality, I do and it belonged with the Karma side. (though I also agree some people took that morality to a level that wasn't necessary) I do believe in Karma but on a different standard, I believe the following quote will explain my personal opinion on it accurately

"For ever action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

It took a heck of along time for that opposing reaction but it happened.

Also "the right reasons" comes back to ones own point of view, for example some people would think that it was wrong for the NPO to attack OV, while others might say otherwise. In any case if you believe in what your doing is right then that should be good enough for the said person to do whatever they feel is necessary to uphold those said beliefs.

Edited by Random

I find moral relativism trite and boring.

(ooc)I wish you didn't show me that link. I thought I'd enjoy it, but it makes me more sad than happy.(ooc)

Also, your apathy disgusts me. You're what is wrong with Bob. People like you allowed the "hegemony" to happen in the first place.

It's not apathy. Some might accuse us of caring too much, actually.

OOC: most topics like this are in Open World RP, an OOC forum. I put this here, in an IC forum, specifically because I realize this is a game, and I couldn't seriously say any of the things I said without it being IC.

You could dismiss anything ever said on these forums with "hurrr it's just a game", but those of us with any real sense of what this game is only tend to do so when it's startlingly obvious that the poster is taking things too far. EZI, hunting down Nazi bogeymen, outrage over the desecration of fictitious flags being examples.

Users of the Fantasy RP forums get into heated debates of such childishness and vindictiveness as to put all of us here to shame. And yet nobody ever goes into Fantasy RP and smugly dismisses them because this is just 'a game'. It's likely that those RPers don't care what we think, and we are intelligent enough to leave them to their game. So Mr. Horizon, if you wish to play this game for its fascinating arrangement of pixels that's your decision. But next time you feel the need to be a witless boor in an in character forum, please keep it out of my thread. I don't care to know that you have nothing interesting to say.

Thank you for leaving us to the game there. I am quite enjoying being the Asian hyper power at the moment, it's a great relief from the pothole I actually have in the game of CN itself. How I got into the paradoxical situation of having a pothole for a nation.. and a hyper power in RP is a very long and convoluted story that would take at least 6 months to fully unravel.. you'd have to basically read the Fantasy RP forum backlog. *chortles*

That world is as different from cn as light to day at times, not often, but sometimes.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

Thank you for leaving us to the game there. I am quite enjoying being the Asian hyper power at the moment, it's a great relief from the pothole I actually have in the game of CN itself. How I got into the paradoxical situation of having a pothole for a nation.. and a hyper power in RP is a very long and convoluted story that would take at least 6 months to fully unravel.. you'd have to basically read the Fantasy RP forum backlog. *chortles*

That world is as different from cn as light to day at times, not often, but sometimes.

Funny, I have always thought light and day are extremely similar concepts.

There's a saying, I'm sure you've all heard, that when God gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Now, I loathe to use such a cliche, but I love extended metaphors. You see, good people of Planet Bob, from the founding of my nation I was thrown a particularly sour lemon. I was born in a time when freedom was a distant memory, when once proud men lay broken and groveling before a witless man-child with a cow fetish, who heaped praise upon them for their timely payments of tribute. It was a sick, repugnant age, the darkest age this world has ever seen.

Like many of you I found solace and purpose in the resistance: the fight against EZI, secret terms, tech extortion, viceroys, perpetual war, the rewriting of history, member censorship. There were many living under the tyranny of the Hegemony that couldn't speak and fight for themselves. We fought for them. There were many that didn't even know their oppression and argued vociferously against us. We fought for them too. And even among us, there were some that were freer than others. We looked to the freest of us for inspiration. I joined the Greenland Republic after exchanging messages with Virillus and being told that GR wasn't afraid to fight and die for a cause. And indeed, their long and rich history is endearingly rife with examples. We were among the freer ones, and our relations with some of our allies sometimes suffered for it.

As the hegemony began to slowly unravel before us, we wondered what to do. Would we join a Continuum civil war? And on whose side? Few were interested in being either side's meatshield. In fact, I can't recall anyone that was. Fortunately though, the choice was made for us. Twisted and sadistic, the hegemony refused to implode and destroy itself. It had to be destroyed, perhaps fittingly, with a last ditch attempt at tyranny.

The Karma War was seen by many as an opportunity to write all the wrongs of the ancien regime. In those first weeks we were euphoric. A new age was dawning on Planet Bob. Just as we had done during the resistance, we fought for everybody. We fought for the oppressed, and the unknowingly oppressed. But there was one new group we fought for. A small but powerful, and respected, enclave of rulers turned their noses at us in cynical judgment. Karma, according to them, was tainted by the past of some of its members, its disorganization, and its ambiguous goals. We fought for these people as well, the people that knew a Karma victory would benefit them but for whom Karma wasn't good enough. And as tyranny gave way to liberty, you could see it manifest in their words.

I felt the same way as the cynics though. I knew Karma wasn't what so many thought it was, but I believed it was a necessary evil, and the only chance we had at saving this world. I, like others I'm sure, held our noses and fought for that better world.

But I was wrong and the cynics that did nothing but complain were right. It wasn't "Just-As-Bad", pre-terms or supposedly harsh surrender terms that they were right about though. They were right about the virtue of being self-righteous do-nothing prigs. I should have expected moral perfection from Karma and haughtily rejected them for the slightest blemish. Working hard in the muck with others looking down on me, is not the path of a dignified man such as myself. Unflinching principle resulting in practical inaction is the correct position. I've realized this now and taken steps to act accordingly. Now that I am removed from this war, I can confidently look down on you all and feel the great self-satisfaction the cynics must have felt.

I'm so much better than you now.

Thank you Karma.

Hmm. :huh:

Oh. ;)

I'll take a lemonade, good sir. It's hot in here.

A truly morally superior individual has no need to state his superiority.

It is self evident and needs no further attention drawn to it.

Not in a degenerate society such as ours that glorifies brutality and ignorance, fueled by the verbose ramblings of moral relativist sophistry.