Spying

Sumeragi

Nah, overloading your security system is possible, even though you have the most advanced ones because I have never seen a program without any security holes in it.

Its in a large concrete box on the other side of the door. Hack that.

Heck, here is one. Enter pass word. If password incorrect, shoot intruder, lock deadbolts.

There are far to many ways to make the system impossible to get in through a tiny bit of RP.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats plain stupid. The better way would be I wish to spy on you, lets have a GM roll odds, then do an Rp about the outcome.

Please explain how having RP work in CNRP is "stupid"?

I refuse to recognize any spy RP that doesn't actually have effort put into it to get into my or anyone else's government.

Oh, I'm sorry, you don't like it because it means you have to be creative in your RP's and find a different way in? Too bad, the game doesn't revolve around you winning. :rolleyes:

Edited by BaronUberstein

Please explain how having RP work in CNRP is "stupid"?

I refuse to recognize any spy RP that doesn't actually have effort put into it to get into my or anyone else's government.

Oh, I'm sorry, you don't like it because it means you have to be creative in your RP's and find a different way in? Too bad, the game doesn't revolve around you winning. :rolleyes:

I was referring to the statement in quotation marks you posted. The "haha lulz, odds, i gets into your city" sentence.

I refuse to recognize any RP which is come under the title plain pathetic. My point is that you roll the odds, then Rp the outcome. Not simply stating that the odds fall on your side and you win in a single sentence.

I was referring to the statement in quotation marks you posted. The "haha lulz, odds, i gets into your city" sentence.

I refuse to recognize any RP which is come under the title plain pathetic. My point is that you roll the odds, then Rp the outcome. Not simply stating that the odds fall on your side and you win in a single sentence.

That still seems iffy. It means you don't need to think up anything yourself to get into a well-thought up security system. Why should I bother to RP a security system if a dice roll decides my fate?

That still seems iffy. It means you don't need to think up anything yourself to get into a well-thought up security system. Why should I bother to RP a security system if a dice roll decides my fate?

Because to get past is like puzzle games. There is a way to get past, its not impossible, but if they can't find it, its their problem. But remember, spying is walking around town to get a feel for the mood, its taking photos of your installations, its more than just that ultimate difficult mission of infiltrate, objective escape. I view the odds as an average chance of success over all types of missions.

HAS NOONE SEEN JAMES BOND?

That guy blows buildings up and he still isnt dead. Spies are trained to do @#$% that police arent. Thats why they get paid 10mil a year.

-1 point for using hollywood. Comeback with a real thing which is relevant.

Thats plain stupid. The better way would be I wish to spy on you, lets have a GM roll odds, then do an Rp about the outcome.

OK, let's do an example of trying to find a little detail. Say you want to discover the identity of Subtleknifewielder. How would you go about it? It's not written down anywhere, it's not stored in any computer space, disk or other medium. it is locked in the minds of a very limited number of individuals (less than a dozen), and the only ones who know which people posess the knowledge are the others who posess the knowledge, and even then not all of them know who the others are.

How would spy odds defeat that?

That is not how most players use the odds, instead ramming in the higher numbers to get pass the more difficult mission.

This is, unfortunately, true.

James bond is based off true story spies:

Ian Fleming

Sidney Cotton

Sir Fitzroy Maclean

Sir William Samuel Stephenson

Sure, the explosions are twice as big but they actually pulled off the stuff he did.

Basically, IG spy odds should be used, and this is basically how it should work.

Player A to Player B: "I'm going to try and spy on you and IG I have 70% odds."

Player A and Player B go to GM or neutral party with a number generator and have them generate one number between 1 and 100. If that number is higher than 30, player A can go ahead with their spying on player B. If Player A or Player B aren't my idols, they'll even do a RP jointly to make things more interesting.

So, basically, IG spy odds should be used, because our nations are based on... wait for it... our IG ones, and after it has been determined whether or not the actual spying will take place, the RP for it can be written.

EDIT: Got my odds numbers mixed up... everything should be correct now.

Edited by Pravus Ingruo

I'm still waiting for you proponents of "Stats only" to come up with a way to defeat MY scenario...

If it's been determined through stats that the spying is possible in the first place, than an RP between both nations should be done to find the information, even if it means going through multiple people. The stats mean that, in the end, the information WILL be found, but how you get to it is the fun part and both parties should help each other with that RP and such. It really isn't that hard.

Easy: one of your individuals makes a mistake. They're all human. And if you give me !@#$%^&* about not playing other people's characters, then you're abusing the fact that you know that it's impossible for stats only to win and knowing that it's impossible to RP your citizens. We're not geniuses - you give me a challenge, I'll do my best to fix it. But there is always a way, even if I don't know how. If I challenge a scientist to an engineering puzzle, because he can't challenge it does it mean there's no fix? No, it doesn't. If you try to make a one-win scenario and I have 90% odds, I'm going to find out somehow, whether or not I just use damn brute force. The only reason my odds wouldn't go to 100% is because the game doesn't allow it.

And they are incredibly rare. Most intelligence gathering is getting someone who already works there to believe in your cause or your money. :P

Robert Hannson is a fine example here.

Seriously though, spying has only ever been rarely done in CNRP. Why, all of the sudden, is everyone up in arms about something they most likely won't do?

Seriously though, spying has only ever been rarely done in CNRP. Why, all of the sudden, is everyone up in arms about something they most likely won't do?

Probably because I made a detailed post concerning how closed the Home Islands of Yamato is.

Closed society and stern dictatorships have already a crapload of advantages in RP as they are when compared to more open nations - mostly absurd spending and research on military without apparently having no side effects in their countries. We don't need to grant them even more advantages and encourage people to roleplay "perfect", homogeneous societies just because it would give them a better shot at warfare.

Closed society and stern dictatorships have already a crapload of advantages in RP as they are when compared to more open nations - mostly absurd spending and research on military without apparently having no side effects in their countries.

Interesting thought. However, I'm not sure how it applies to Yamato, since it's pretty much RL Japan with a stronger ethnocentric belief. In short, it isn't DKT.

I've noticed many of the people defending IG stat based Spy odds are those that already HAVE the stats to spy on most of the world.

If I have a door that is sealed by a god damn 500 lbs steel bar, 90% spy odds doesn't magically lift that bar and allow a spy in.

If you're not creative enough that day to find a way around that obstacle then don't try to claim you're spying.

The only thing IG spy odds should mean is that if you have 90% on me I can't claim I have super detection powers on your spy and find them as soon as they set one foot into my nation.

Rather they are extremely difficult to find, and thus gives them that chance to succeed and time to plan how to go around the obstacles placed before them.

Or perhaps no one has thought about WHY the game stops at 90% spy odds. Ever think that even Admin realized all spying isn't going to work on even weak nations?

Edited by Tahsir Re

Because so many people godmod impenetrable systems, its a joke. Like Km and Br did to me. I posted, they instantly found a group of five and a bunch of automatic 40mm grenade launchers popped out of the bushes

Or perhaps no one has thought about WHY the game stops at 90% spy odds. Ever think that even Admin realized all spying isn't going to work on even weak nations?

The game does go to 100%. It just shows it rounded to intervals of 50% +- 20%. It will only ever show 10%, 30% 50% 70% 90%. Its not like battle calcs, the actual value is rounded to hide it.

The game does go to 100%. It just shows it rounded to intervals of 50% +- 20%. It will only ever show 10%, 30% 50% 70% 90%. Its not like battle calcs, the actual value is rounded to hide it.

That's a new one for me. So I could have 100% odds on someone, yet see only 90%...nice.

Edited by Lynneth