Navy

Destane

Don't know if this was covered or not, but I'll ask anyway. Is a navy worth it? If so please give me your thoughts beyond what is written in the description. Also please give me your reasons if you think a navy isn't worth my time. I've started building a small navy and see that the prices for some boats are over 1mil and didn't know if spending that much on a fleet was worth my resources. Thank you.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Navies are useful for two main reasons: blockades and support of other attacks. If you are not often attacking countries with more 1k land or and are not anticipating war with such nations, than it is not time to consider the immense cost and upkeep of a Navy. The reason they are worth maintaining is due to their large upfront cost and build per limit each day involved. Another good point worth mentioning are carriers add extra aircraft to your nation- but it is only worth investing in at higher levels of nations. Save the cash and spend it on tech and save the rest for a warchest.

Navies are good for holding an extra 25 fighters, which can mean complete dominance in the air (also to prevent your opponents from using THEIR battle support against you).

That's about it though, unless you want extra NS - the other functions are not as useful as holding an extra 25 planes.

That's about it though, unless you want extra NS - the other functions are not as useful as holding an extra 25 planes.

This. I also find the subs to be fun to play with. Other than that nothing really.

I recently got blockaded, and I spent more trying to break that blockade than I lost when I collected after 4 days. I know the guy spent more on his navy that he used to hold the blockade than I did, so that's not very efficient blockade wise. Blockades don't even really effect someone either, if the nation has a warchest.

I'm maintaining my navy at half size so the bills aren't too bad but at least I'll have a full navy with 3 days notice (nearly). I hate the upkeep though. I'm not sure there should be an upkeep while they're on standby, presumably in the drydock...I mean what are they costing to sit around every day? Not a million dollars...

Navies are important to just prevent the other guy from using his as support. Blockades are meaningless at the levels at which you can afford a Navy.

What kind of battle support do they provide?

I grabbed a Navy in TE to test it out and battle support seemed useless... I guess with only two vessels tho you wouldn't notice any difference.

Does it increase your battle odds? or is the effect hidden? because with 2 vessels my battle odds were the same before and after putting my ships into battle support mode.

What kind of battle support do they provide?

I grabbed a Navy in TE to test it out and battle support seemed useless... I guess with only two vessels tho you wouldn't notice any difference.

Does it increase your battle odds? or is the effect hidden? because with 2 vessels my battle odds were the same before and after putting my ships into battle support mode.

Depends. What ships did you send into battle support? Without the numbers (since I'm doing this from memory), when in battle support, Landing Ships provide a bonus to your attack damage, Destroyers do the same for CMs, Subs do the same for nukes, and Carriers allow you to increase the number of planes you can send in an aerial attack.

Had 2 Battleships... which is about as much as you can maange in TE lol...

All those you mentioned are listed in the info index... I guess what I'm asking is what exactly 'provides fleet support' which all vessels have listed, does for you...

Navies are important to just prevent the other guy from using his as support. Blockades are meaningless at the levels at which you can afford a Navy.

I'm sure mat miller would disagree with you that 10% of his collection is meaningless.

A 5% temporary reduction in income will be laughed off by me, as it would be by most others.

Oh I agree at our size it's nothing, but when you get to the bigger infra levels it could potentially be devastating if you dont break the blockade before the war is over.

Oh I agree at our size it's nothing, but when you get to the bigger infra levels it could potentially be devastating if you dont break the blockade before the war is over.

How so? It's the same percentage. They just deal with larger amounts of money.

It's adds up, to a full 100% Eco loss. But if you collect, it resets. Or I should say, reduces the Blockade. (If you are at 15% Eco loss and collect, it won't go to 0% Blockade, it will go to 7% or so.)

No, it resets to 0% once you collect, no matter what level it's at.

How so? It's the same percentage. They just deal with larger amounts of money.

Correct, but when you have 3 enemies on you, you may not be able to break the blockade, which means you'll have to collect with the econ loss, which at some of the higher infra levels can be absolutely devastating.(I wouldn't be happy with losing 150 million+ off my collection)

Not all people collect during wartime.

in any major conflict, you'll be forced to collect at some point, ideally you want to hit your enemy with a nuke at least every 4 days so they're stuck in anarchy for 3 wars straight (21 days) so they have to collect in anarchy and cost them a chunk of their war chest instead of replenishing it.

http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/List_of..._wars_by_length

roughly 1/3rd of CN's wars have lasted more than 20 days, and since people are typically back collecting, even a war that lasts two weeks will force most of your alliance to collect.

in any major conflict, you'll be forced to collect at some point, ideally you want to hit your enemy with a nuke at least every 4 days so they're stuck in anarchy for 3 wars straight (21 days) so they have to collect in anarchy and cost them a chunk of their war chest instead of replenishing it.

http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/List_of..._wars_by_length

roughly 1/3rd of CN's wars have lasted more than 20 days, and since people are typically back collecting, even a war that lasts two weeks will force most of your alliance to collect.

Their problem, not mine, I don't back collect as I'm not interested in Improvement Swapping.

If the effects of a blockade on a larger nation are that relevant to them they've already lost the war since their warchest is apparently non-existant :)

Also, lol Lord Boris.

The blockades do not go away after the war expires, fyi.

I was in nuclear anarchy after my war expired with 4 large IRON nations. Somehow (luckily) I only had 15% blockade effect. But I had to wait for the nuclear anarchy to wear off, so the -15% did add up. At 17 days inactive I had plenty of war chest left over, but still... the -15% did hurt the rebuilding process a little.

edit: lawl boris

Edited by phillip110