CNRP OOC Thread

Stormcrow

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a CN-related RP that I'm making, which will use some stats but focuses on the RP itself; due to certain balencing factors, it will allow people to RP any type of nation they want, from a medival nation to a space marine one, all on one planet. There are also different races to choose from as well; and you are still more powerful with a larger nation.

I want to know people's opinions on this before I attempt to write it all out on a tiny cell phone screen.

Sounds interesting...

What do you plan on calling it? :D

Sounds interesting...

What do you plan on calling it? :D

This RP is in the Iowk universe on the planet of Iowk itself. I have been going over and over every aspect of the Iowk universe, and today's universe of Iowk is far, far different than two weeks ago. I'll tell everyone one of my intentions for Iowk right now: to generate possible lore and possible areas on Iowk.

The cybernations equivilent is "Nations of Iowk". In the canon universe, there are 8-10 "nations", but NoI takes place after the "main events"; basicaly the nations break up and globalization comes into affect, giving reason for, say, a group of dwarf-like humans to move to the edge of a dessert from their mountain homes.

>>The Knock Nevis was a massive ship, currently used as a floating storage and offloading unit (FSO) owned by the Norwegian company Fred Olsen Production.[1] It was previously a supertanker and as such held the record for the world's largest ship. As a tanker the ship was known under the names Seawise Giant, Happy Giant, and Jahre Viking.<<

It was a supertanker. Not a battleship.

A powerful wave would be a great danger to such a long ship.

Not if the keel is reinforced, which is evident in most modern ships. Aircraft Carriers themselves aren't structurally powerful. However, it's the central keel, etc which keeps them together. Plus you're thinking that the weight is centralized in one area. That isn't the case. The weight on most ships is dispersed. That way the ship can remain relatively stable even in rough conditions.

Edited by Malatose

Not if the keel is reinforced, which is evident in most modern ships. Aircraft Carriers themselves aren't structurally powerful. However, it's the central keel, etc which keeps them together. Plus you're thinking that the weight is centralized in one area. That isn't the case. The weight on most ships is dispersed. That way the ship can remain relatively stable even in rough conditions.

I believe the method Lynneth was referring to is what is commonly accepted as the way the Edmund Fitzgerald went down. Where the middle of the ship was left in a trough and the two ends left in water. It cracked the ship in two and sank it so quickly that no survivors or messages had time to escape.

The real danger to a ship that size is side waves. Sides of ships are not very strong, and a ship that size might require to much weight to make it strong enough to even make to standard stress levels. Not going to assume what happens when a rouge wave hits a ship that big beyond that the results would be catastrophic.

I believe the method Lynneth was referring to is what is commonly accepted as the way the Edmund Fitzgerald went down. Where the middle of the ship was left in a trough and the two ends left in water. It cracked the ship in two and sank it so quickly that no survivors or messages had time to escape.

The real danger to a ship that size is side waves. Sides of ships are not very strong, and a ship that size might require to much weight to make it strong enough to even make to standard stress levels. Not going to assume what happens when a rouge wave hits a ship that big beyond that the results would be catastrophic.

Actually, recent investigates have concluded that the ship broke apart upon when one wave hit the cargo hold cover (which was reported as defective days before). Water then flooded the Cargo holds, weakening the ship from the inside, which resulted in it breaking in two. An outside wave just didn't hit the ship and "snap" it as some of the more ludicrous stories have shown.

The Coast Guard also led an investigate (I think). They found out the problem to be defective ship covers, which made the ship plunge to the bottom suddenly, resulting in the sudden break.

I suggest you all read a report by the US Coast Guard Marine Board of Investigation. It's called Marine Casualty Report. Here is brief summary of what most believed caused the accident.

Raising the wintertime load line.

When a ship is filled with cargo, there is a level at which the ship rests in the water. This level is referred to as the load line. The height load line is set as a function of season and determines the weight of the cargo the ship can transport. Between the time of her launch and its sinking, the SS Edmund Fitzgerald load line was raised 3 feet 3 1/4 inches, making her sit lower in the water. This increased the frequency and quantity of water that could flood the deck during a rough storm.

Leaking Hatchways

The ore was loaded through hatchways located top side. On October 31 routine damage was noted during an inspection and were scheduled for repair after the 1975 shipping season. The hatch covers were not sealed properly and were therefore not water tight, thus allowing water to enter the cargo areas. Once water entered it could migrate throughout the hold. There was no way to determine if flooding was occurring in the cargo bay until the ore was saturated, much like a sponge. Throughout the storm the ship was probably taking on water in the cargo hold though the hatches. Increased water loading, and the lower load line, made the ship sit lower in the water, allowing more water to board the ship. Eventually the "bow pitched down and dove into a wall of water and the vessel was unable to recover. Within a matter of seconds, the cargo rushed forward, the bow plowed into the bottom of the lake, and the midship's structure disintegrated, allowing the submerged stern section, now emptied of cargo, to roll over and override the other structure, finally coming to rest upside-down atop the disintegrated middle portion of the ship" (Marine Accident Report SS Edmund Fitzgerald Sinking in Lake Superior). This sequence of events would lead to a rapid sinking, with no time to make a distress call or attempt life-saving operations. The conditions of the recovered lifeboats support this in that they appear to have been torn from their storage racks.

Edited by Malatose

Actually, recent investigates have concluded that the ship broke apart upon when one wave hit the cargo hold cover (which was reported as defective days before). Water then flooded the Cargo holds, weakening the ship from the inside, which resulted in it breaking in two. An outside wave just didn't hit the ship and "snap" it as some of the more ludicrous stories have shown.

The Coast Guard also led an investigate (I think). They found out the problem to be defective ship covers, which made the ship plunge to the bottom suddenly, resulting in the sudden break.

I suggest you all read a report by the US Coast Guard Marine Board of Investigation. It's called Marine Casualty Report. Check it out for your educational benefit.

I'd still worry about a ship that size getting hit by a rouge wave. Its so large that the massive force of the wave will likely wash everything above the hull either off the ship, or wash out anything inside into the sea. While flooding the ship with water.

Also I didn't know they finally pegged the loose caps as the cause. Last I heard about it no official reason was given for why the hull had failed. As for the hatch covers that is still a problem for a ship like yours. A boarding sea.

Edit: Actually after reading the offical report. It still states that

An analysis of the wreckage itself did not give any conclusive evidence as to the sinking of the FITZGERALD. However, an analysis of the final events in conjunction with the wreckage indicated that the FITZGERALD experienced massive flooding of the cargo hold just before she sank.

So really they don't know what caused the flooding to start. The loss of the hatch covers occurred after significant flooding had already occurred in the ballast tanks and tunnel

Regardless of how the Edmund Fitzgerald actually sank. That oversize battle ship ship is still at risk for snapping in heavy seas. Unless half the hull normally left to fuel and storage is dedicated to keel supports.

Edited by Tahsir Re

Alright, noob question, how do you get maps off Google Maps?

Screenshot->Image manipulation program->crop to needed area->done

That's the simple way.

The hard way involves making several screenshots of a bigger area, piecing them together, etc.

At least that's how I do it.

Edited by Lynneth

Regardless of how the Edmund Fitzgerald actually sank. That oversize battle ship ship is still at risk for snapping in heavy seas. Unless half the hull normally left to fuel and storage is dedicated to keel supports.

Indeed. A massive wave could snap the ship into pieces or tilt it dangerously in one direction unless if the ship is wide enough and the framing can bear the forces being pushed against it. Plus, the ship would be extremely slow and hard to turn, and is a easy target for bombs, missiles, and rockets.

As Sargun stated it:

Or we could just bomb it. Big target + big bombs = bigger explosion.

---------

lol slow ship :awesome: It would be like bombing a flat skyscraper.

And as a bonus, the skyscraper has dozens of tons of explosive ammo and fuel. Be sure to bring in the popcorns. :D

Edited by HHAYD

Quick question guys. I don't want to ruin the Anchorage thread, so I'll ask it here. Mudd said the Aleutian Islands start at Umnak Island, however, there are two islands farther east, Unalaska Island and Akutan Island. Why aren't they included?

My guess, they are left out because they are the ones being fought over, and or, Mudd is pulling a fast one.

Hey thanks guys. Noob question round II, what's the command for taking a screenshot?

Most US keyboards have a print screen button (smaller keyboards, such as laptop keyboards are labeled "Prnt Scrn"). I am not sure about non-US keyboards though.

The correct command is Alt-F4.

...I'll laugh if anyone falls for it. Its a key that says "scrn" and some other words (at my cell phone, not a computer so not sure of the rest).

Anyway, any comments on my RP idea? I'll make a thread hopefully in the next couple days.

Hey thanks guys. Noob question round II, what's the command for taking a screenshot?

There should be a "print screen" key on your keyboard. The keyboard I'm using has that as the leftmost of three keys by themselves on the upper right corner of the board, above the number pad.

Quick question guys. I don't want to ruin the Anchorage thread, so I'll ask it here. Mudd said the Aleutian Islands start at Umnak Island, however, there are two islands farther east, Unalaska Island and Akutan Island. Why aren't they included?

Typo, the easternmost island is Unimak, not Umnak. Google Maps was hard to read and actually has Unimak Island labeled is Umnak Island (for a total of two Umnak Islands within 50 miles of each other)