CNRP OOC Thread

Stormcrow

Today's topic.

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=74599

This shenanigans.

If you're going to develop massive biophysical improvement of a soldier.

one: make sure you are not listed as the worst tech level.

Two: Do some development of your super powerful superman maker drugs/projects

Three: They will still die just as easy as regular soldiers under the current guidelines. :v:

I tend to sort of disagree.

Having one for non-wartime use is fine with me; however, making hundreds of super-soldiers and piling them on your military with any tech level is godmodding.

No one can honestly say that they haven't made, or seriously though about making a super-soldier for RP purposes. It's just fun.

And Sargun, my robotically enhanced, minuscule chunk-o-flesh could beat yours any day :P

And this is more directed to the Mods who occasionally prowl these threads, but would it be okay if I resurrected a few long dead threads to finish the RPs without having to make a new thread or something?

Edited by Il Terra Di Agea

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's topic.

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=74599

This shenanigans.

If you're going to develop massive biophysical improvement of a soldier.

one: make sure you are not listed as the worst tech level.

Two: Do some development of your super powerful superman maker drugs/projects

Three: They will still die just as easy as regular soldiers under the current guidelines. :v:

OOC: Wolverine was created by the Canadians during the First World War :v:

Edited by Executive Minister

Combined:

Tech help and OOC could really easily be combined. In all honesty, Character Database should probably just be linked out of the map thread. GMs court should be made into a rules and guidelines thread, because I think that GMs should run the one thing GMs are here to do. Names and Nations Would be useful merged into the map thread so we can actually go "I want this protectorate, who owns it" and have the answer in the same thread, rather than a different one.

Moved: New Player Guide should go in Fantasy RP, because that is the only place it is truly pertinent.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

What do other players think of this idea?

I think we just need less pinned threads.

Why is the character database pinned? Why is the nation names pinned? Why is the list of Treaties and Blocs pinned?

Why is there a post about the RP forum's guidelines, and then another post with info about the forum/subforums thread?

Saying this right now...the multiplier for navies ONLY PERTAINS TO SUBMARINES. This is what Cochin told me, this is what he agreed to, having ship multipliers is idiotic, like having 30 some carriers or something. Definitely not. Personally I don't like the sub multipliers, but the community yielded a majority vote. But yes, there is no multiplier for navies except for submarines.

Saying this right now...the multiplier for navies ONLY PERTAINS TO SUBMARINES. This is what Cochin told me, this is what he agreed to, having ship multipliers is idiotic, like having 30 some carriers or something. Definitely not. Personally I don't like the sub multipliers, but the community yielded a majority vote. But yes, there is no multiplier for navies except for submarines.

And what is said multiplier for submarines?

Also, while we are all here, this tech efficiency !@#$%^&* needs to stop. All you're doing is substituting stats for legitimate RP. This whole "I lose 1 man you lose 2.25" thing is retarded and does not take into account things like tactics and knowing an area better than someone else. I, for one, refuse to RP a war with anyone who uses "tech efficiency". Will I recognize that you have better tech than me? Certainly. But you aren't going to kill 2.25 of my men of every one of your that dies, especially if I am fighting on my home turf.

And what is said multiplier for submarines?

Also, while we are all here, this tech efficiency !@#$%^&* needs to stop. All you're doing is substituting stats for legitimate RP. This whole "I lose 1 man you lose 2.25" thing is retarded and does not take into account things like tactics and knowing an area better than someone else. I, for one, refuse to RP a war with anyone who uses "tech efficiency". Will I recognize that you have better tech than me? Certainly. But you aren't going to kill 2.25 of my men of every one of your that dies, especially if I am fighting on my home turf.

I for one use TE as guideline, to see how well-equipped my men are in comparison to those of my enemy.

RP and good tactics can completely change the ratios.

Regarding those silly supersoldiers:

None of them could beat Liberty Prime/Sword of the Crown, which is made out of pure Awesomeium, Badassnium and Handwavium.

It is unpossible for them to destory it.

Unless they have a uplink to an orbital strike muhahaha :)

The Tech efficiency just tells you what the ratio of losses would be in a straight-up fight between two players on soil completely neutrasl to both. That is ALL.

And what are the odds that people will engage on an all out fight on an open plain with their men just charging at each other and firing at random? May as well remove it outright.

And what are the odds that people will engage on an all out fight on an open plain with their men just charging at each other and firing at random? May as well remove it outright.

Poland?

But yah, in all seriousness, I don't think it should be removed at all, and as a loose baseline it's fine, so long as people remember that it is never that simple.

But do you want to know what would solve the problem entirely?

1) Make all wars preplanned

2) Make people have enough respect to at least acknowledge each other's RP going into a war, and plan around that.

Or, the controversial number 3) When planning a war, don't plan for the OOC, look at bloody terrain, the person's RP and opt to fight the war all IC, rather than yelling things OOC about how they are great and totally NOT godmodding with their 100,000 square mile carpet bombing campaigns, marching 400,000 soldiers through a mile of deep water, and assassinating peoples' rulers from nine miles away with their super rifles.

What do other players think of this idea?

Keep the tech thread separate, it alone serves a very specific purpose, unlike the generality of the OOC thread. The OOC thread is for general RP OOC, like wars, etc. Tech help is for specific "if this, that and those are put on this chassis, can it work". If you merged the threads, the large amount of useful information from the tech help thread will be lost amongst the useless chatter that usually goes on in the OOC thread.

Poland?

But yah, in all seriousness, I don't think it should be removed at all, and as a loose baseline it's fine, so long as people remember that it is never that simple.

But do you want to know what would solve the problem entirely?

1) Make all wars preplanned

2) Make people have enough respect to at least acknowledge each other's RP going into a war, and plan around that.

Or, the controversial number 3) When planning a war, don't plan for the OOC, look at bloody terrain, the person's RP and opt to fight the war all IC, rather than yelling things OOC about how they are great and totally NOT godmodding with their 100,000 square mile carpet bombing campaigns, marching 400,000 soldiers through a mile of deep water, and assassinating peoples' rulers from nine miles away with their super rifles.

The main issue with this is no one will want to be in a war where they will lose, and it takes away the "consequence" factor that stops a lot of idiotic actions ICly. For example, someone nukes someone else. You'd need to ask that person "Hey wanna war?" and if they refuse, then RP just becomes people doing random acts to annoy others ICly, knowing OOCly no one can do anything about it unless they pre-plan the war.

EDIT: Mods, please merge this post with post #3043. Thanks.

Edited by Voodoo Nova

The main issue with this is no one will want to be in a war where they will lose, and it takes away the "consequence" factor that stops a lot of idiotic actions ICly. For example, someone nukes someone else. You'd need to ask that person "Hey wanna war?" and if they refuse, then RP just becomes people doing random acts to annoy others ICly, knowing OOCly no one can do anything about it unless they pre-plan the war.

EDIT: Mods, please merge this post with post #3043. Thanks.

Euh wait wut? Isn't nuking starting a war in itself?

Totally agree with Pravus.

If the EAW between me and Spacingoutman showed anything, its that if two RPers sit down and decide to RP, they can, despite tech limitations.

Very much this. If it had been based on tech efficiency, well, I would have wiped his entire army out with casualties ranging up to 1,000. That is absolutely ridiculous. I am completely with Pravus: tech can show superiority in technological advancement, but it certainly should not automatically determine casualties during a war.

Very much this. If it had been based on tech efficiency, well, I would have wiped his entire army out with casualties ranging up to 1,000. That is absolutely ridiculous. I am completely with Pravus: tech can show superiority in technological advancement, but it certainly should not automatically determine casualties during a war.

It doesn't. You can pre-plan all you want. The Tech effeciency is, as ITDA says, only a guideline...and RP DOES EFFECT WARS, even if you do follow the tech efficiency. it just means a lower-tech player has to work harder to win.

As they would in RL.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

The only nuking IRL was to end a war. :P

In reality, it isn't starting a war, unless you want it to start a war. In the case of all wars being preplanned, the person that nuked the person cannot go to war unless he agrees to it.

I think you could add security features in there, for example that any offensive action is considered a war in itself. Or just plainly return the favor attack back without declaring war.