20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Also if we are going to give characters protection from death from now on then we need to do a similar sort of thing for nations being protected against invasion/take over. Some people put just as much effort into their nation as other people do their characters so if we are going to protect characters we should protect nations. 

Surprisingly good idea, even if you are likely saying it sarcastically.

That really is the situation in almost all character killings though.  And what you said isn't true at all.  The only character 'hits' so to speak that I've put out is when people do it on characters people have rerolled with.  People keep characters from old nations they've rerolled with all the time.  Shammy, Sarah, Eva, I'm pretty sure you with Mascuria Pakistan, myself, Mogar, Margrave, Kankou, have all RPed characters from previous nations in new ones.  For those who RP those characters with an agenda against another nation, killing is sometimes necessary.

If they do policies which bring their nation into danger, sitting in the capital is no excuse.  In the age of airplanes there is no 'safe zone'.

of the two characters I reuse, Mogar should be anyone else's accounts be dead, considering ICly he would be roughly 170 years old by now. Ariana has only been in a leadership position once and since then is just a comic relief/silly RP character. Neither have any sort of agenda against anyone else's nation.

Honestly, as Triyun correctly remarked, I keep around a set of characters which I hardly ever abandon and which I have as stock characters for my RPs. I made a brief break from using the usual suspects in Japan, but well. It's not so much that I can't make new characters, Japan had an all new character cast of people I pretty made up on the spot and which I slowly developed, but given many of my nations are similar, I like using characters I came to like and which I gave some history already.

However, despite using and reusing my characters, I'd like to not utilise some rule-based resurection system. I refrained from making a post on the matter, because I'm a bit split on it, however, overall, I rather have dead people stay dead. And if I ever rise a character from the dead, which I'd reserve at best for one of them, you can be sure that I'm not going to RP them as perfectly fine human beings. More like the evil that returned from the depths of hell... If I ever go that way...

Anyway, I think a character should be able to die. And at the current time, I think people should keep that in mind when creating national leaders. If you lose a war, expect victor's justice (and most people don't give a damn about whether its blatantly obvious or not, so please not make an OOC ruckus about it), which means your leadership gets trialed, put into prison or getting executed. And I think it is then, to actually show whether you want to be a kindergardener, raising a fuss in the OOC thread, or even better, a new OOC thread, about the unfairness of the system and how you got mistreaded, or whether you are actually going to be mature about it and tread their deaths the way it ought to be treaded. That might mean agreeing that they were crappy leaders, glorifying them as martyrs for the nation (it's more of a matter though if you actually stick around in that nation), being ambivalent or having some other IC settlement. Heck, actually, I'd not even care if you bring them back to live, if it's done in a way that's worth reading.

I mean, I'm not going to say it's the most fun RP to be occupied or to have your cast killed, but honestly, it's something different for once, and while not ideal, it's not the end of all hope. at least it should not be.

If I'm purposely putting my characters in obvious danger then it would be reasonable for them to be killed if the other player decided to do so; HOWEVER, having them sitting in the capital and then suddenly taken out by assassins or a smart bomb is not acceptable. 

If that happens, just ignore it. The more people start ignoring garbage, the more fun they'll have.

To me it seems like there's really too much ambiguity to even pin down a leader with certainty. If you bomb the capital, whose to say my leader is even there, or in the country at all? When I do RP, I frequently Rp my leading characters in multiple concurrent locations so as to have several lines or story going on at once. While, I see the concern, and I know character hunting has gone on, I've also seen people use the abundance of wiggle room to slip out of whatever was thrown at them. So idk if this is actually an issue that demands a rule change.

What I'm saying is even without some formal structured system of resurrection you can simply refuse to acknowledge the action, or provide roger rabbitesque evasions to the point where its essentially impossible to actually eliminate your character. If anything the proposal weakens the existing protections by entrenching the idea that its even practically possible to kill a character.

Triyun has politely informed me that a proper type poll requires a discussion thread followed by a GM created poll.

Rules were slightly different when I left.

In those days anyone could propose anything. 

Therefore, if possible, I would like to retroactively declare this a discussion thread. 

Edited by Generalissimo

I remember they brought one of Yawoo's characters, from ireland, to trial for nuking London. They hung him. About.. oh.. maybe a year later Yawoo started rping the guy again. A few people said, "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA you can't do that, he's dead.."

Yawoo, bless him, replied, "Screw you, he's my character, I'll damn well rp him if I want to."

And kept on rping the character.

I think Justinian has the right way of it. You bring your characters into the world, you take them out.

Actually, yawoos king is still in hard labour somewhere inn athens. He was never hung.

Negative, he is in second in command of Virtus International, and has been since I returned to CNRP.

I'm with Justi on this on this one, if I create a character only I will take them out of this world. That being said, I don't think character killing is a big enough deal to warrant a new rule. People need to take TBM's advice and start ignoring some things instead of trying to make a rule that covers every scenario.