The Third Grand Give - For the Holidays!

bros

op5WRox.png

Hello everyone, it's the time of year when we gorge on food during the cold months and spend a lot to make our friends and family happy, but also like to give ourselves a warm and fuzzy feeling. So after suggestions by multiple individuals and a bit of nagging, i've decided to have the Third Grand Give.

Last time, we raised $1760.96 for charity: water and before that we raised $4405 for Doctors Without Borders.

This time, the charity will be Pratham (Stats for how they spend their money are at the bottom of the post), which describes itself as follows:

From its start in providing pre-school education to the children in the slums of Mumbai, Pratham has grown into the largest educational organization in India reaching 2.4 million children in 21 states. Central to this success has been a whole new way of approaching the education problem to create a national impact.

Starting today, and going until Wednesday, January 1st, we will be raising money for Pratham.

The most up to date information will be [url=http://mushroom-kingdom.info/boards/index.php?topic=48959]here[/url]

DONATE HERE (See below for further donation details)

So, let's get down to the nitty gritty.
1. Donations go through FirstGiving.com, the group we used for the first grand give's donations. ALL DONATIONS GO DIRECTLY TO THE CHARITY AS LONG AS YOU COVER THE FEES FOR YOUR DONATION (SEE BELOW) READ http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/119219-the-third-grand-give-for-the-holidays/?p=3190699
e1Y6GSP.png
2. Here's the link again to donate http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/bros/grandgive - A note: This third party donation site only accepts credit cards backed by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. So if you do not have one of those, find a friend, perhaps someone in this topic, who can submit a donation on your behalf.
3. Holton will be assisting me with this drive, as I am pretty busy with student teaching. He'll be doing things like making graphs and other things he can do to help out that might crop up.

Here are their statistics for how they spend donations

For those who don't want to click the link, 92.5 percent of their budget is spent on the programs and services that they deliver, 2.2 percent of their budget is spent on administrative expenses, and 5.2 percent of their budget is spent on fundraising expenses. They have a total revenue of $10,437,647 and total expenses of $8,789,533.
Edited by bros2

If anyone else is thinking about making a smaller gift (5,10, 20 dollars, etc.), like myself, let me now and maybe we can pool donations and make 1 larger donation and pay the "fee" (.38cents or whatever it may be) just one time. 

Lets say you donate $100.

The cost to cover that is $7.69.

So firstgiving asks for 7.6% for card processing fees/fees to keep the site up. Keep that in mind

http://support.firstgiving.com/entries/375404-What-does-covering-fees-for-my-donation-mean-

We are happy to announce that donors who give to FirstGiving pages can now cover the fees that are taken out of their donation before it's sent to the benefiting organization. 

Here is how it works: Nonprofits pay a small fee to use our service. It’s 5% on donations, plus a standard credit card processing fee of 2.5%.  So when making a donation, after the donor enters their donation amount, they can check the box that says "I want to cover the fees for my donation" and the new amount will be calculated for them.  You may notice that the total amount for donors who pay the fee is slightly higher than the donation amount + 7.5% would be.  This is because the credit card processing company's fee of 2.5% is applied to the full amount transacted, so that 2.5% is applied to the donation + 5% that the donor is paying.

This is the amount that will show on the email confirmation/receipt and the amount that will be charged to your card.  On the fundraising page, your intended donation will be displayed.

So for example, if you want to donate $25 and pay the fee, the total donation amount will be $26.92. The organization is then sent the $25 donation, and the fundraising page will show your donation as being $25.  This keeps your choice on paying the fee private - only the nonprofit will see whether you covered the fee or not.

This is not mandatory and is totally up to you as a donor as to whether or not you would like to cover the fee.

http://support.firstgiving.com/entries/375404-What-does-covering-fees-for-my-donation-mean-

We are happy to announce that donors who give to FirstGiving pages can now cover the fees that are taken out of their donation before it's sent to the benefiting organization. 

Here is how it works: Nonprofits pay a small fee to use our service. It’s 5% on donations, plus a standard credit card processing fee of 2.5%.  So when making a donation, after the donor enters their donation amount, they can check the box that says "I want to cover the fees for my donation" and the new amount will be calculated for them.  You may notice that the total amount for donors who pay the fee is slightly higher than the donation amount + 7.5% would be.  This is because the credit card processing company's fee of 2.5% is applied to the full amount transacted, so that 2.5% is applied to the donation + 5% that the donor is paying.

This is the amount that will show on the email confirmation/receipt and the amount that will be charged to your card.  On the fundraising page, your intended donation will be displayed.

So for example, if you want to donate $25 and pay the fee, the total donation amount will be $26.92. The organization is then sent the $25 donation, and the fundraising page will show your donation as being $25.  This keeps your choice on paying the fee private - only the nonprofit will see whether you covered the fee or not.

This is not mandatory and is totally up to you as a donor as to whether or not you would like to cover the fee.

Wow, that seems like a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...