GM terms

I was thinking...one month...is that really a long enough term for a GM? Seems to me we'd get the elections over with, then have a couple weeks, at most three full ones, before nominatioins for the next set have to start.

So, thoughts? Ideas? What is the ideal length for a GM's term?

Personally I think it's two months. Long enough that they can actually get comfortable in the job, without keeping them there forever or wearing them out.

Yes, but you ask me, one month isn't efficient...spending at least a quarter of the time in the process of setting up and managing the election for the next set of GM's. Does that really soound like the best allocation of time and resources to you?

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' timestamp='1340646247' post='2996015']
Yes, but you ask me, one month isn't efficient...spending at least a quarter of the time in the process of setting up and managing the election for the next set of GM's. Does that really soound like the best allocation of time and resources to?
[/quote]

I asked Curri to post the thread and within two minutes of my asking it was up. No work has to be done until it is completed, then two more minutes are needed to set up a poll and we have our new GMs. It takes almost zero effort on the part of the GMs and keeps the institution from becoming tangled up in outlandish ideas of corruption, etc.

Oh, I agree they still need to be elected...and maybe it takes two minutes to post the thread, but they have to keep track of the nominations, and the votes once that thread is up, not to mention taking out the votes of people that shouldn't be voting...

So all I'm saying in essence, is that it seems the current length is inefficient.

One month is too short for anyone to learn the ropes of the position. Two months is enough time to efficiently serve in the role and isn't long enough to wear them out or see them becoming too comfortable with the position.

one month terms, no consecutive term

One month terms forces the GMs to be more responsive to community input and pushes for more of a mediator style approach rather than the autocratic method that has quashed rp far too often in the past. Besides, most major decisions lately have been by community vote that have been fairly quickly handled, I see the GM dealie becoming more of a shared community responsibility in the future.

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1340708753' post='2997100']
one month terms, no consecutive term

One month terms forces the GMs to be more responsive to community input and pushes for more of a mediator style approach rather than the autocratic method that has quashed rp far too often in the past. Besides, most major decisions lately have been by community vote that have been fairly quickly handled, I see the GM dealie becoming more of a shared community responsibility in the future.
[/quote]

I like this...a lot. I think this will make the GM more of an administrator rather than someone with actual power. The GM places things up to vote, acts as a mediator, etc, and in truth, if you can create a thread and not crap in your pants went people argue, you make a great GM.

Is there a place I can propose maximum term limits for any GM in power?

DEMOCRACY! FREEDOM! 'MURICA!

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' timestamp='1340711122' post='2997114']
I like this...a lot. I think this will make the GM more of an administrator rather than someone with actual power. The GM places things up to vote, acts as a mediator, etc, and in truth, if you can create a thread and not crap in your pants went people argue, you make a great GM.

Is there a place I can propose maximum term limits for any GM in power?

DEMOCRACY! FREEDOM! 'MURICA!
[/quote]
I'd approve if it wasn't so limited to one continent...

Prefer European democracy anyway...

Edited by Evangeline Anovilis

[quote name='Evangeline Anovilis' timestamp='1340711953' post='2997122']
I'd approve if it wasn't so limited to one continent...

Prefer European democracy anyway...
[/quote]

I'll meet you in the middle of the Atlantic, Eva...Atlantian Democracy...we'll bring the island out of the water.

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1340712296' post='2997126']
We'll probably run out of people to run in the long term :v:
[/quote]

Then you restart from the beginning...the larger point is that you don't have the same guy in there for a year. If someone like Shammy gets his post again in a year or even six months if not enough people want the job, that's fine. But open it up to everyone in the community.

If the community want the same GM in office for consecutive terms, then whats the problem? The community has got the choice to change them if they are being bad GM's at the end of the month anyway so there is no issue.

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' timestamp='1340730017' post='2997345']
If the community want the same GM in office for consecutive terms, then whats the problem? The community has got the choice to change them if they are being bad GM's at the end of the month anyway so there is no issue.
[/quote]This is true, but it doesn't change the issue I see with the term [i]length[/i].

And it seems a good number of people are agreeing with me.

Though I do rather like TBM's suggestion of no consecutive terms.