New Rule Request

PresidentDavid

War  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1328578105' post='2915774']
Then complain IC. Don't like Tianxia, Athens, Amazonia, Germany, whatever, go do something about it IC. People's instinct these days is to run to the OOC forum with every little problem and setback. That is the problem. You want to know what made great stories back in the day, it was conflict. It was building ideologies and counter ideologies. A few people still do that, but most people's first thought is to say their enemy is a big meanie.

There are many people in CN RP with big nations. The Union and the Horde combined are relatively smaller than Ferrous Pacific and Grand Army were back in the day.
[/quote]

I didn't know I was complaining that Tianxia is too big and should be reduced.
I thought I was asking the community to vote on getting rid of the "forced" RP system.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what lets get serious here for a moment. I quite like what Triyun and Sarah have done with the Horde if people actually took the time to look at the Horde itself you would see it was created for pixels it has depth and story to it which a lot of other nations including my own lack. Now I know some people won't care and will continue to complain and to be honest I am getting sick of it.

So here is my suggestion if you are really really against Triyun's and Sarah's Horde stand up and be the resistance against it and just to prove I am not talking crap out my backside I will gladly be a founder of the Horde Resistance. However, if we are going to do so then we will need to do it fairly and correctly. That means no whining, no cheating and with respect. So if you really are against the Horde and want to try and actually do something about it then send me a PM so that we can discuss this.

And for the record I don't hate/disagree with you Triyun or Sarah but I am sick and tired of people complaining and it would be hypocritical of me to tell people to do something about it without doing anything myself. No offense is meant.

Also whilst people are reading this could someone PM with how to get IRC and how to get on the CNRP IRC please so I can actually join you guys on it. Thanks.

I don't know why you'd think this poll would drive me nuts. However, I was very clear in IRC a few nights ago that the next person who suggests a new rule was going to get me to quit.

Very well, once I've sorted out this issue with Soviet Canuckistan I will expunge Legion from the map.

As to the question you are asking, if we were doing actual role play I'd agree. I've given up on that concept awhile ago. We don't do roleplay as I knew it way back in the day we do text based political/military/. The only true rp we do is character rp.

[quote name='Kevin Kingswell' timestamp='1328578675' post='2915785']So here is my suggestion if you are really really against Triyun's and Sarah's Horde stand up and be the resistance against it and just to prove I am not talking crap out my backside I will gladly be a founder of the Horde Resistance.[/quote]If you take that route, count me in!

[quote name='Kevin Kingswell' timestamp='1328578675' post='2915785']That means no whining, no cheating and with respect. So if you really are against the Horde and want to try and actually do something about it then send me a PM so that we can discuss this.[/quote]Generalissimo doesn’t need to PM anyone, all my moves are out in the open!

[quote name='Kevin Kingswell' timestamp='1328578675' post='2915785']
Also whilst people are reading this could someone PM with how to get IRC and how to get on the CNRP IRC please so I can actually join you guys on it. Thanks.
[/quote]
mibbit.com/chat

Server: Coldfront

Channel: #cnrp

[quote name='Kevin Kingswell' timestamp='1328572860' post='2915683']
I would be against the rule, if you want to be a part of CNRP then you are a part of all of it through the good and bad. If you want to do character RP's with people then you can just don't create a nation on the map just design your characters and RP with other people in CNRP. If you make a nation then you have the accept the fact that it can and may be attacked.
[/quote]
Except for one think Kevin. The national identity of some characters is integral to [i]WHO THEY ARE[/i].

[quote name='Botha' timestamp='1328573763' post='2915691']
This is a valid point.

I can also understand Triyun's point of view about HAE (as an example) using this rule as a means to bank its territory. The size of that nation was absurd.

That's why utilising the in-game SOI is so useful, make a compromise that anything beyond someone's SOI is liable to invasion (and, surprise to many, [i]even I[/i] went along with this logic when Martens & Co. invaded my Somalian holdings).

And impose minimum/maximum limits on SOI, so that anything beyond (thowing out a number) 2,000 miles is liable to invasion regardless of SOI, and anything less than, I dunno, 200 miles or less is illegal to invade.

This would eliminate the steamrolling, because it would ensure that a player subject to an invasion he may not agree with, can at least mainatin his prescence in the CNRP world. You would not be able to unilaterally force someone off the map if they did not agree.

You would probably end up seeing a patchwork of nations, as no one would be able to unilaterally (not my prior agreement) take someone else over - but it would at least keep more players involved.
[/quote]
[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1328574442' post='2915697']
I actually like Botha's proposal for using SoI to manage this. And it's not hard to figure stuff like that out, if you use a website like this: [url="http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm"]Radius around a point[/url]
[/quote]
I would definitely support a rule along those lines. :)

For that matter, why do wars even need to be over landin the first place? Plenty of RL wars are over many other issues, and don't involve the loser getting land taken away, but rather having other limits imposed on them for a time.

I wish there was a way to get players to leave others the heck alone- like sure roll me if I do something necessarily bad to you- but don't stick your nose into my business if it does not directly concern you- We have too many United States' in CNRP who think they're the world's policemen (speaking metaphorically)

[quote name='graniteknight' timestamp='1328581291' post='2915831']
I wish there was a way to get players to leave others the heck alone- like sure roll me if I do something necessarily bad to you- but don't stick your nose into my business if it does not directly concern you- We have too many United States' in CNRP [b]who think they're the world's policemen[/b] (speaking metaphorically)
[/quote]
But, but, its fun pushing other people around! :awesome:

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='graniteknight' timestamp='1328581291' post='2915831']
I wish there was a way to get players to leave others the heck alone- like sure roll me if I do something necessarily bad to you- but don't stick your nose into my business if it does not directly concern you- We have too many United States' in CNRP who think they're the world's policemen (speaking metaphorically)
[/quote]

I think you meant to say "mega" US. There's no way the US as is could conduct the amount of warfare taking place in CNRP. We certainly couldn't intervene in every little thing either, we just don't have the ability to do that. But because it's CNRP everything's all hunky dory and good. As for this proposal, I see some merit in it but I've always played as the rules are now and I know it's not always right or great but it's "worked" for years.

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' timestamp='1328571905' post='2915667']
Another reason why I say get rid of the map.
[/quote]

[quote name='PresidentDavid' timestamp='1328572455' post='2915679']
Get rid of the map?
[/quote]

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' timestamp='1328573031' post='2915686']
Sure...I don't care about the map. Interact with who you want to interact with or don't interact at all.
[/quote]

[quote name='Generalissimo' timestamp='1328577007' post='2915745']
I’ve always been against the map – from Botha’s scramble for Africa to that conference that followed.
Eventually my position became so fringe within the community it wasn’t worth discussing anymore.
I’m just glad someone, anyone, finally agrees me.
[/quote]

I would say get rid of the real earth map, but keep some kind of map.

I've been told two things that have rather soured me wanting to continue my story. The first is that people love it, but don't really want to get involved for one reason or another. The big two reasons are they think my position in Africa is worthless, and the other that they can't get involved in the RP at this time.

The one person had joined in, hasn't really talked to me at all, and stopped posting before I did.

While a different, non-earthly, map might not help the problem of people having as little drive to rp with me as I do to even continue my own story line, it would remove that "You're in bumsville no where" excuse that I've heard several times.

I don't want a large nation, or a certain country in a certain spot, though I do have a destination if I continue with my RP. If someone found reason to invade me it would be annoying certainly, but I would be forced to throw out my current plans and change them. Meaning I'd be doing something with others rather than typing at a wall, which is really how it feels.

Looking at that radius generator, I agree... most in-game SOI are stupidly massive.

I would say 1000 miles maximum is fair enough, anything beyond that I think is fair enough to be open to unilateral RP contesting.

For the minimum, go with 100 miles. Sure it is small, but it's 1/10th of the max and a nice, easy set of numbers to remember. And, the key here is simply retaining a footstamp on the map.

So, to rephrase:

1) Any territory more than 1000 miles beyond one's SOI is liable to unilateral RP invansion.
2) Anything 100 miles or less within one's SOI is not open to unilateral RP invasions (but mutual agreements would overide this).

Or as a table:

0-100 miles = not open to unilateral RP invasion (unless mutual agreement)
101-1000 miles = subject to mutual agreement
1001+ miles = open to unilateral RP invasion

[quote name='Kevin Kingswell' timestamp='1328574844' post='2915703']I spotted a loophole if you had this method then yes it means that you can't be rolled and fully wiped out but that can play to someones advantage. Imagine if I launched a big invasion gathered lots of land and then was defeated loosing it all upto my 200 miles there is nothing stopping me yet again attacking at a later date and regaining the land back.[/quote]

Hmmm... sounds a lot like the re-birth of Kaiser Martens in Europe for the umpteenth time :awesome: . Don't see a problem with that.

And, if people mutually agree that their nation can be completely taken over, then that would trump anything done unilaterally.

[quote name='Kevin Kingswell' timestamp='1328574844' post='2915703']In fact all this would do is create more problems for the map maker as the map would have to be constantly updated.[/quote]

And this is different than any other time? When has the map [i]not [/i]been constantly updated?

[quote name='graniteknight' timestamp='1328574151' post='2915693']How then Botha do you deal with powers like Triyun- who basically control the map and have a sort of my way or the highway type of IC arrogance? How do we mould that into an acceptable CNRP for everyone-[/quote]

In what manner is he controlling the map? Explain please.

Keep in mind I've been out of the loop for a year, so I don't really know who's doing what to whom or controling this or that.

Botha- he more or less is allied to the rest of the major powers of the world, which means if he does not like the way a speck of land is being run in Africa he will slaughter it(or arrange for it to be done)on top of that, the IC arrogance comes from his IG power (which I have no issue with, he's got it so he has the right to flaunt it) but that has limits, I find it rude to think Triyun can bully me into stripping down a radar system i was refurbishing- it necessarily did not pose a threat to anyone (considering I had never rp'd out a range for it or any such parameters- he said it had a potential to detect his systems, isnt that what its supposed to do?) he just saw it and went ballistic and threatened me and I did the only thing I could do to survive, I backed down- my point being there has to be a reasonable respect in CNRP, and bullying other players into your way of thinking is just flat wrong.

lol, great stuff.. So Triyun arranged for the African Unity Pact to steal away some Islands?

Lol, No little man.. I arranged for the African Unity Pact to give it a try, but it has yet to happen and they have like 4 days or something to sort out a response that possibly could avoid fighting

Whatever happens after that is anyone's game.

Triyun never had an idea what I was intending to do when he stood aside due to all breast beating from the Canadians and the Brollies.

I form my own allegiances, make my own plans, and carry out my own doom and gloom without any sort of permission from anyone.

I just happen to find certain events in Triyun's RP that are enjoyable enough to participate with him. This doesn't at all imply that he's got me on remote control.

I know we have a sycophant or two on this thread worshiping all things Horde related, but then what is to be expected from that sort?

Further, as far as I can tell the Australian treatment of the Aborigines is shameful. I believe that Africans need to stand side by side with our dark skinned cousins in Australia and kill all the white devils.

hmm.. actually, I think that would be a pretty lulzy rp despite all the crying you'd do.

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

[quote name='Botha' timestamp='1328588732' post='2915907']
Looking at that radius generator, I agree... most in-game SOI are stupidly massive.

I would say 1000 miles maximum is fair enough, anything beyond that I think is fair enough to be open to unilateral RP contesting.

For the minimum, go with 100 miles. Sure it is small, but it's 1/10th of the max and a nice, easy set of numbers to remember. And, the key here is simply retaining a footstamp on the map.

So, to rephrase:

1) Any territory more than 1000 miles beyond one's SOI is liable to unilateral RP invansion.
2) Anything 100 miles or less within one's SOI is not open to unilateral RP invasions (but mutual agreements would overide this).

Or as a table:

0-100 miles = not open to unilateral RP invasion (unless mutual agreement)
101-1000 miles = subject to mutual agreement
1001+ miles = open to unilateral RP invasion

Hmmm... sounds a lot like the re-birth of Kaiser Martens in Europe for the umpteenth time :awesome: . Don't see a problem with that.

And, if people mutually agree that their nation can be completely taken over, then that would trump anything done unilaterally.

And this is different than any other time? When has the map [i]not [/i]been constantly updated?

In what manner is he controlling the map? Explain please.

Keep in mind I've been out of the loop for a year, so I don't really know who's doing what to whom or controling this or that.
[/quote]

No offense but you should return to the game then suggest. People who don't play CN RP don't exist. True story.

[quote name='graniteknight' timestamp='1328590408' post='2915924']
Botha- he more or less is allied to the rest of the major powers of the world, which means if he does not like the way a speck of land is being run in Africa he will slaughter it(or arrange for it to be done)on top of that, the IC arrogance comes from his IG power (which I have no issue with, he's got it so he has the right to flaunt it) but that has limits, I find it rude to think Triyun can bully me into stripping down a radar system i was refurbishing- it necessarily did not pose a threat to anyone (considering I had never rp'd out a range for it or any such parameters- he said it had a potential to detect his systems, isnt that what its supposed to do?) he just saw it and went ballistic and threatened me and I did the only thing I could do to survive, I backed down- my point being there has to be a reasonable respect in CNRP, and bullying other players into your way of thinking is just flat wrong.
[/quote]

Yes I forcably extorted land. What part of building a new Mongolian Empire is unclear? I don't exactly hide what my goal is. If people come and ask, "Triyun is your goal to create an Empire larger than Genghis Khan's?" I will say yes.

I'm going to say this: Seriously, soon most of Triyun's allies will be held up by war. This is your chance to bring down him if you want, so all haters, wipe your guns for war. If you don't, then you have no right to say that there's a single group controlling RP.

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1328595565' post='2915988']Why should we care about what people who do not play say? Honestly asking.[/quote]

I dunno, but riddle me why I still get PM'ed about RP-related stuff - even though I've been gone for a year?

So, obviously some of the "we" you speak of still do care what I may have to say. Probably because I'm now a neutral voice with no stake in anything. I don't know.

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1328592667' post='2915947']
Further, as far as I can tell the Australian treatment of the Aborigines is shameful. I believe that Africans need to stand side by side with our dark skinned cousins in Australia and kill all the white devils.

hmm.. actually, I think that would be a pretty lulzy rp despite all the crying you'd do.
[/quote]
Actually, unless he changed it all up, I pretty much went around fixing that when I played Australia--in fact one of my major characters was an Aborigine working for the government as a diplomat. Not perfect, by any means, but it's not like it's Apartheid anymore :P

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1328593039' post='2915949']
No offense but you should return to the game then suggest. People who don't play CN RP don't exist. True story.
[/quote]
[quote name='Botha' timestamp='1328595404' post='2915984']
Wow, is that seriously the best you could come up with? :blink:
[/quote]
[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1328595565' post='2915988']
Why should we care about what people who do not play say? Honestly asking.
[/quote]
[quote name='Botha' timestamp='1328598093' post='2916011']
I dunno, but riddle me why I still get PM'ed about RP-related stuff - even though I've been gone for a year?

So, obviously some of the "we" you speak of still do care what I may have to say. Probably because I'm now a neutral voice with no stake in anything. I don't know.
[/quote]
Hahah, nice one. ;)

In any case, Triyun, what he says is true enough, he's looking at it from a very neutral perspective. You don't have to listen to him, but reasonable compromises are his forte after all, even if you don't agree he was the best RP'er (I'm [i]not [/i]getting involved in [i]that [/i]argument). He's always played a neutral well, and from what I can tell, it's because it's in his nature to be so.

So why not take his suggestion at face value, instead of simply dismissing it for the peripheral reason that he's not got a nation here anymore?

If people can do whatever they want without fearing any consequences, what is the pont of ROle Playing? People can continously prey on other nation without the fear of retribution, because you could always say no.