The GM's Court

Centurius

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=107546&view=findpost&p=2878799

So I have quite the issue with this mysterious SOSUS line and how it is tracking everything from Panama to Texas, how its detecting all the submarines, if any, when it was laid, and what sonar his Corvettes are using, from his coastal waters, for them to detect the australian fleet. Seems almost a godmod to me.

If PD, could link some posts where he laid the entire SOSUS network RP'd its development... and sudden ability to insta detect submarines.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' timestamp='1323954099' post='2878808']
http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=107546&view=findpost&p=2878799

So I have quite the issue with this mysterious SOSUS line and how it is tracking everything from Panama to Texas, how its detecting all the submarines, if any, when it was laid, and what sonar his Corvettes are using, from his coastal waters, for them to detect the australian fleet. Seems almost a godmod to me.

If PD, could link some posts where he laid the entire SOSUS network RP'd its development... and sudden ability to insta detect submarines.
[/quote]

This would be correct, SOSUS needs at least one post made a sufficient time before its use.

As for the deployments, the numbers are minimal so I don't really see an issue.

No. Like a line starting at Vicidalia, going to Peru, Marocco, Pakistan, that little white bit in Croatia...to a tree at the Champs-Elysees or some house owned by a loyalist in Montmartre. Something secretely usable by anyone in Paris that got to know of it by the Vicidalian government.

Edited by Evangeline Anovilis

To go to Pakistan and Morocco you need to spy roll for everyones waters and protectorates you're laying the cable through. Also laying an actual transoceanic cable and then moving it hundreds of miles over land requires a lot more than a simply spy roll as its quite a large and labor intensive operation, asking to build a battleship in the basement of Cochin's palace on one spy roll.

Cent can I build a battleship in the basement of his palace btw?

it can be decrypted, but a fellow role player needs to do two things.

Well imo they need to do two things.

1) Establish the roleplay needed for a spy roll.

2) Get the spy roll and complete said role play.

Mind you other people do it differently, but that's how I'd do it. Means I'd be more likely to rp out a failure.

But no, none can just automatically read your messages for giggles. They have to do a spy roll first and show some RP.

Hand delivered messages work well as well, but you run the risk of interception via a special forces team with a narrator using a Burn Notice style voice over for the entire operation.

"When a special operation goes bad you have to keep calm.."

*Commandos picking their way through the damn minefield that isn't on their map...*

[quote name='Evangeline Anovilis' timestamp='1324112509' post='2880457']
Hm. I think I just send a ship across the atlantic laying a cable. Should the spyroll succeed, it should have successfully infiltrated French waters without being noticed. Right?
[/quote]
No, you'll be advertising that you're laying cables, since you need cable ships to do it, never mind that cables are really easy to tap into when spying.

Really, just use single pulse satellite communication. There is practically no RP method to get hold of such messages unless you happen to be tuning into the right frequencies, and I'm sure that we're not allowed to use OOC info to say that specific frequency was being monitored.

Ok, damn satelite is going to be used. I'll ask Lynneth to shoot one into the orbit and it is officially there for cross atlantic merchant ship coordination. In order to avoid colissions and to send assistance should one of my merchant vessels need help.

The satelite will use a code based upon the time and the geographical position of the sender. I hope that is original enough to avoid someone accidently finding it out.

If a player has significant space resources, like a moon base, and their terrestrial government falters is it possible to play a government-in-exile from space?

Initially asked in [i]Technology Stats Help[/i] but I thought this might be a question suitable for the GMs.

Edited by Generalissimo

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1324183873' post='2880934']
They'd need someone supplying them from the ground if they couldn't support their population in space, but.. other than that.. dunno why not. Be kind of an interesting twist.

Bound to be some way to make it happen.
[/quote]
I'm working on that, my friend, don't worry.

I know you are, but you have a sufficient technological level to explain how you can support a googleplex of citizens in space without frequent ongoing resupply. At least I think you do, but other not so advanced nations might be tied to mother earth just a bit more for their ongoing replenishment needs.

I think I might just get a space program wonder and become an independent space transporter of sorts.